Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Death of the Family is one of the best Batman stories

• 56 results
    Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

The Joker's return was epic, the writing was epic, Batman was epic, the rest of the Bat-family was epic, the art was epic, Snyder is epic

How can you dislike it???

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Black_Arrow
    No Caption Provided

Good one.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah.

Don't listen to these c**ts complaining that nobody died.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Eh, I think it was a decent read, but nothing extraordinary. I'd rate it around 3/5.

Though, if it weren't for that Capullo art, I'd probably consider it a 2/5.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

People like and dislike different things from one another.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ya in no way is it one of the best its not even one of the best Joker stories its just plain garbage its Synders usual crap that he thinks Batman is arragant so he has Batman believe something that comes back to bite him but ultimately are meaningless

in court of owls he didnt believe the court was real which resulted in the deaths of hundreds but does any of this matter not at all it just resulted in two boring new heroes and a stupid new addation to Dicks past which makes no sense at all

Death of the family Jokers back and suddenly Joker might have found his way into the cave after their first meeting and so when joker claims to know everyones real names (which you have to ask why he waited so freaking long) and everyone is super angry at Bruce becuase he dosnt tell them everything at every freaking moment and how does this story end no one dies and this story becomes meaningless becuase everyone just acts like it never happened

and it dosnt end their in Zero Year Batman is super anrgy now and a moron and again arragent so he has to learn a lession about trusting people or what ever bullcrap Synder can think up

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@the_tree said:

Eh, I think it was a decent read, but nothing extraordinary. I'd rate it around 3/5.

This.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree said:

I'd give it a 2.5 with Capullo's art

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Haha no,it's one of the worst stories ever written.

Yeah.

Don't listen to these c**ts complaining that nobody died.

Yeah instead we should listen to c**ts who pretend it's epic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't go that far

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By entropy_aegis

@entropy_aegis said:

I wouldn't go that far

I would,a completely pointless and meaningless story in every sense of the word,I actually read it again and found it much worse this time around.

TakeLuutzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That first issue of this arc was scary as hell!

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#13  Edited By Outside_85

The hype was epic, to say the least.

The story itself... it interfered with way too many books and with next to no pay off or lasting effect on most of them. Nightwing being the only one where it really stuck, maybe Todd but that appears to have been retconned into Al Ghul related mystic ninja stuff, like Tim's was reconnected into Trigon messing with him.(I know some are going to argue that it created a rift within the bat-clan... but what has that rift actually done other than one instance of Nightwing ignoring Bruce's call for aid in favor of going after Zucko?)

Then you had the story itself, again, very much like Court of Owls, it had great build up with all the silver trays and tense atmosphere that appeared to be building up to what should have been a spectacular finale... and it all just ran into the sand. Silver trays turned out to contain nothing, everyone managed to make it out alive and well (meaning no lasting injuries) and the Joker fell into a convenient hole till the next time.

I've since come under the impression that the story would have been better if Scott and Co had been allowed to do give this story a lasting physical impression on the characters; as in Tim having to over come his own spiraling sanity, Todd going around looking like the bad side of Two-Face... and Alfred loosing a hand (which was supposedly what was under the tray lid originally). It's not so much the gory spectacle of these things that I want, it's more that it would have cemented the fact that the Joker is the only Bat-villain that can do these kind of things to them.

As it is, we only got some bizarre outrage from the other clan members about Bruce actually keeping something from them (which to me is about as shocking as Nick Fury keeping secrets), a burnt down circus, a lot of dead and maimed red-shirts, a bunch of abandoned ideas and... eh... Joker's Daugther... At-least CoO gave us Strix, Cobb and some nifty undead assassins.

So, for me, the most terrifying Joker with the greatest impact is still this one:

No Caption Provided

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Hhahahaha,nope.Death of the Family is one of the most overrated stories ever and one of the worst.The whole crossover was just god awful and was one big lackluster.It deserves 2/5 rating or something like htat.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

1. Mary Sue villian = Check
    2. Said villian falling to an ambiguous death = Check
    3. Heroes spend whole issues talking about how threatening the villian is to make the reader feel afraid = Check
    4. Dirty Secret = Check
    5. Heroes losing faith to their leader = Check
    6. Out of Character moments = Check
    7. Nod to a better story to draw sales = Check

Yep, all the cliches are there. If that is what you consider a good story then be my guest BUT DoTF will be forgotten in a few years and that shows its quality.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It was okay. I wouldn't call it one of the best, but certainly not one of the worst. It's better if read independently, without all of the hype for new issues or the month-long break between each segment. But there are moments where everybody is out of character (Bruce, primarily, in my opinion). And the final punch of the story, while intriguing, is never really followed through on. I'd give it a 7/10. In the long history of must-read Bat man stories, it is there, but farther down on the list.

Dro77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think it's better then most of Morrison's work (that wouldn't be so hard)

Azrael_Online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

ridiculously overrated. I know a lot of people like to try and defend this story by saying how the affects will be shown over time but, sorry, it doesn't even do that. The story crossing into the other bat family book was absolutely unnecessary and such a complete mess on top of it. Sorry, pretty much regurgitating what the rest of you said so, yea, in aggreeance with that.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dro77: ... you sir mast have the insanity of the Joker if you think this in any way is better than Morrison's work besides for INC which wasnt poorly written just a bad concept and batman and Robin which again wasnt poory written just a bad concept most of Morrisons batman work is pure gold Batman and Son Black Glove Batman RIP and the Return of Bruce Wayne are all fantastic Batman stories leagues better than anything Snyder has written that includs Black mirror which like Death of the Family is over hyped garbage what Synder has going for him now is Greg's art which is some of the best stuff out their right now

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dro77 said:

exactly

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

.People like what people like. Morrison has written some great stuff, but some of it is just weird and there's no need to look for a deep meaning in that!

Jokerpoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I actually skipped them, I heard they where mediocre and I really didn't like how the Joker was portrayed.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Mary Sue villian = Check
    2. Said villian falling to an ambiguous death = Check
    3. Heroes spend whole issues talking about how threatening the villian is to make the reader feel afraid = Check
    4. Dirty Secret = Check
    5. Heroes losing faith to their leader = Check
    6. Out of Character moments = Check
    7. Nod to a better story to draw sales = Check

Yep, all the cliches are there. If that is what you consider a good story then be my guest BUT DoTF will be forgotten in a few years and that shows its quality.

Well said!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By entropy_aegis

The story was an epic fail is more like it,it failed to deliver in it's basic premise.

Even if one Ignores the hype,mis characterizations, Snyder's penchant for cliched monologues,the adverse affects on the Bat family books(blame Nightwings cancellation on this),the asinine tray mystery,misuse of Batman rogues,terrible dialogue and a whole lot of other things that shouldn't be ignored at all what exactly are we left with?

The story wants to drive home that the Joker is capable of splitting apart the Bat family but what the heck did he do that caused the split in this first place? this is the fundamental question that remains unanswered,everyone distrusts Bruce now cause he believes Joker doesn't know their identities which is proven otherwise in the tie inns and that is proven otherwise in the climax WTF? the story is one big cluster f*ck of supreme non sense. Heck those tie inns actually lends some credence to the idea that Joker knows their identities ,the main story dismisses that notion completely. So contrary to popular opinion the tie inns actually help the story,without them DOTF is actually MUCH WORSE.

The second problem with the premise is Jokers face,to this day we were never told why Joker cut it off and then came back to reattach it,I'm sorry but what the heck is this? what's the significance of it? where's the meaning?,the sad truth is that there was none,either literal or figurative.It was done to turn Joker in to slasher flick serial killer cause it's SCARY GET IT. The face also opens a whole new can of worms when it comes to Jokers characterization and personality.

DOTF was a very poor story whole sole purpose was to be considered a classic,the coming years will not be kind to it IMO.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Billy Batson
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the adverse affects on the Bat family books(blame Nightwings cancellation on this)

Nightwing isn't getting cancelled - the character is getting a new ongoing. The sales were decent too.

BB

Hoplite91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dro77 said:

exactly

Slow clap

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lifeofvibe
    SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@dagmar_merrill said:
    @entropy_aegis said:

I wouldn't go that far

I would,a completely pointless and meaningless story in every sense of the word,I actually read it again and found it much worse this time around.

Thats really interesting beacsue it was extremely well received by the majority of critics. Ifanboy, IGN, Comicvine, CBR, Bleeding Cool, GON, Newsrama, the list goes on all loved it. I liked it, not as much as some other Batman stories but you don't get almost unanimous praise from critics if it is "one of the worst stories ever written" that is such an exaggeration it makes your opinion hard to take seriously.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree. Its not the best clearly but it does qualify as one of the best. Top 20.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterdetective said:

@dro77 said:

exactly

Slow clap

Morrison wrote single panels better than Dotf

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Squalleon

@rustyroy said:

@dagmar_merrill said:
    @hoplite91 said:

@masterdetective said:

@dro77 said:

exactly

Slow clap

lol so true

D@mn right :-P

You want scary joker, read "The clown at midnight".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@dagmar_merrill said:
    @hoplite91 said:

@masterdetective said:

@dro77 said:

exactly

Slow clap

lol so true

You want scary joker, read "The clone at midnight".

You mean clown not clone right?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

@dagmar_merrill said:
    @entropy_aegis said:

I wouldn't go that far

Thats really interesting beacsue it was extremely well received by the majority of critics. Ifanboy, IGN, Comicvine, CBR, Bleeding Cool, GON, Newsrama, the list goes on all loved it. I liked it, not as much as some other Batman stories but you don't get almost unanimous praise from critics if it is "one of the worst stories ever written" that is such an exaggeration it makes your opinion hard to take seriously.

It can get as many positive reviews as it wants,I dont need those sites to tell me what is good or not especially when the owners/chief operators of all those are on a first name basis relationship with the writer. I'm not saying Snyder made them give him good reviews but it's no coincidence that smaller sites with more independent reviewers gave DOTF much worse scores. Heck see the article BB posted,the guy makes a solid point,the reviewers were trying to out do each other with the DOTF praise.

@entropy_aegis said:

the adverse affects on the Bat family books(blame Nightwings cancellation on this)

Nightwing isn't getting cancelled - the character is getting a new ongoing. The sales were decent too.

BB

Dick Grayson is getting a new ongoing,the Nightwing persona has been destroyed and Snyders events are the chief reason for that.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Wow. I didn't know I was in the company of such elitists on CV.

I thought DotF was great.

Hoplite91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hoplite91

@dagmar_merrill said:

@squalleon said:

@rustyroy said:

@dagmar_merrill said:
    @hoplite91 said:

@masterdetective said:

@dro77 said:

exactly

Slow clap

lol so true

You want scary joker, read "The clone at midnight".

You mean clown not clone right?

Nope, clone. It's a Morrison twist. Why don't you understand the genius?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By Saren

@sinestro_gl said:

We're Batman fans. Where we differ from fans of other mainstream characters is that we've come to expect a certain quality to Batman stories instead of just being grateful that stories about our favorite character are being made at all.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

What'd you like about it?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@saren said:

@sinestro_gl said:

We're Batman fans. Where we differ from fans of other mainstream characters is that we've come to expect a certain quality to Batman stories instead of just being grateful that stories about our favorite character are being made at all.

Lucky bastards.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

@sinestro_gl said:

Then why did Batman: The Dark Knight (series) last so long? Hmm? Hmm?
    BB

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@saren said:

@sinestro_gl said:

Then why did Batman: The Dark Knight (series) last so long? Hmm? Hmm?
    BB

We're spoiled.

Avatar image for twix_right_side
    Twix_Right_Side

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DotF was incredibly boring in my opinion.

It tries too hard to be suspenseful, and.....it is just overrated in my opinion. I mean it isn't as bad as people are saying, but it's not even in the top 20 in my opinion.

But again, just my opinion

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was very mediocre. If you want a good Snyder Batman tale check out Black Mirror pre 52.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.