Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23647 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Deadly Batman

Bad_People

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Bad_People

We all know that most variations of Batman is a staunch opponent of lethal force but in all his aggressive crime fighting has he ever accidentally killed anyone?

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

Not to my knowledge.

DarkKnight1939

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DarkKnight1939

Batman has killed many, accidentally and deliberately.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FatihBATMAN

who and how and when? :D

nikonwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nikonwonder

As far as I know, the thing that sets Batman apart is that he does not kill. So if your going to say he has, I suggest you provide specifics to back up your point.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#6  Edited By BatWatch

Hmmm. He has definitely killed non-humans. I think common sense would show that he would have had to have killed some people with all the damage he has dealt. I mean, you cannot crack somebody's head open and expect there to be no permanent damage every time.

In my mind, people have died because of Bruce, but I do not think official cannon would ever admit that.

For more news, reviews, and commentary for the entire Bat Family, check out BatWatch.net.

DarkKnight1939

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DarkKnight1939

Note that most of the murders took place when Batman was just starting, before his moral code was introduced, before he refused to carry a firearm, and while the writers were evolving him into the hero he would become (Early Batman stories, 1939-1940), so he wasn't quite the Batman we know today. As BatWatch has said, deaths could have occured through Batman's brutal form of fighting, while not directly said in the comic book, would have probably occured. In Batman's Elseworlds (Red Rain) stories he has killed, but as that is not the main universe it doesn't count. The other occurances have been in the 80's, notably Mike W. Barrs stories (Messiah of the Crimson Sun (Kills Raah's Al Ghul), 10 Nights of the Beast (Kills KGBeast), Batman Year 2). A modern day example includes the Final Crisis where he attempts to kill Darkseid. Most of these examples have retconned or ignored and probably don't apply to the current 'New 52 Batman'. Batman's moral code dissallows him from killing and he probably will remain true to that, though I believe when nescessary Batman will make exceptions, and I'm fine with that.

My Evidence:

http://www.cracked.com/article_20111_the-6-most-brutal-murders-committed-by-batman.html

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/03/22/batman-kills-murderer/

http://www.batman-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=1406.0

DarkKnight1939

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DarkKnight1939

He also killed a man in Batman: Cult under the influence of drugs and hallucinogenics, and he believed he was killing Two Face. A lot of examples have Batman treading a fine line between whether it was killing or not. "Batman Begins" 'I won't kill you but I don't have to save you' is a good example of this.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Stormbox

I nkow this doesnt count completely because its an alien, but batman killed a parademon (with a gun nonetheless) in cosmic odyssey

Bad_People

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Bad_People

I was interested in seeing how the act of accidentally killing someone would strain his already unsound mental state. (The best heros are a little crazy)

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#11  Edited By BatWatch

@Stormbox:

I remember there was a big discussion early on in the DCNU about Batman and the rest of the Justice League killing parademons. Apparently, Batman reeeeally does not like Parademons. (smiles)

I actually think this topic deserves a whole story arc. Maybe Kal-El should have a conversation with Bruce about his willingness to kill aliens.

For more news, reviews, and commentary for the entire Bat Family, check out BatWatch.net.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Lvenger

@BatWatch said:

@Stormbox:

I remember there was a big discussion early on in the DCNU about Batman and the rest of the Justice League killing parademons. Apparently, Batman reeeeally does not like Parademons. (smiles)

I actually think this topic deserves a whole story arc. Maybe Kal-El should have a conversation with Bruce about his willingness to kill aliens.

You know Superman was tearing the Parademons apart in Justice League 3 as well. But I have a theory that given the metallic parts of the Parademons and the fact organic material was harvested to make them, I've deduced that they weren't alive so the Justice League 'killing the Parademons' is perfectly fine. Of course Johns didn't make that clear in the issue and left it up for misinterpretation. Another reason why Justice League is a terrible read.

Breadspread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkknight1939: wow, good job with the evidence. Great links! Thanks for the read.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as I know, the thing that sets Batman apart is that he does not kill. So if your going to say he has, I suggest you provide specifics to back up your point.

The Modern Batman (year one and after) has a no kill policy. The older versions of Batman have killed several times.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.