Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

DC Universe Internet Talk: Who is Batman?

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

Lets face it, we talk about the guy, even when he is not real, if he was real, he would be the only thing people would talk about.

Billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne is the Batman!

Just think about it, fellow Gotham residents! Have you ever seen Batman and Bruce Wayne together in the same room? And yet all other high-ranking people in the community are either confirmed or rumored to have associated with The Bat, including Commissioner Gordon himself. The strange bruises and cuts we see on Mr. Wayne's face and hands sometimes. The evidence points to only one conclusion!

• Dude, that's retarded. For one thing, Bruce Wayne's an idiot who's into extreme sports. Seriously, my sister, who works for the Gotham Globe, has a friend who dated him this one time and she described him as, and I quote: "Like Michelangelo's David - body chiseled perfection, head solid rock."
      • Batman is a ninja. Do you really think a scrawny billionaire like Bruce Wayne just climbed up a mountain and found the dojo of an ancient secret society of ninja?
        • Batman a ninja? What kind of weaponized hallucinogenic flowers are you smoking?
    • Batman is a robot.
      • No human could do those sorts of things, take and receive that level of punishment, Batman can't be human. Batman is a highly advanced experimental combat android able to withstand bullets, jump across buildings, and punch through walls.
      • Once again, the animated series apparently supports this.
    • Next, you'll be saying that Clark Kent is Superman! What audacity!
    • You must all be being deliberately stupid - HARVEY DENT ADMITTED HE WAS BATMAN! What more do you want?!
      • Harvey Dent is dead. The Batman is not. Proof enough for me.
        • But have you actually seen the body?
        • There was supposedly a body, but it's impossible to tell if was him - half his face was burned off. Beside, I was at party once where the Joker burst in and started threatening Dent's girlfriend, Rachel Dawes. Batman showed up and acted very concerned about her - because he's really Dent!
    • I heard they're doing some kind of biopic about Batman, and guess who's playing him? CHRISTIAN BALE! Isn't that, like, the perfect casting choice?
      • I read the cast listing, and he plays both Batman and Bruce Wayne. Maybe the producers know something we don't?
    • You people are completely on the wrong track. The question is have you ever see Clark Kent and Batman together? Think about it.
      • Hey! I haven't seen Clark Kent in the same room as Ambush Bug either...
        • Ambush Bug is Batman!
        • Ambush Bug is the Moon Princess!
      • Everyone, I have proof! So would Robin be his cousin Kara in a wig?
    • The Batmobile is a scrapped Wayne Enterprises military project: the Tumbler. The Tumbler was an experimental bridging vehicle abandoned by the military and only a handful of prototypes exist, and Batman somehow managed to get a hold of one? Chasing a tank down the freeway you would think the GPD would think to look through a few back issues of Jane's, given the current state of things Wayne is probably bribing the police.
      • Which leads to a question: why is Bruce Wayne covering for Dent's extracurricular activities and giving him so much free crime busting gear?
      • Oh, come on. How many people work for Wayne Enterprises? Okay, now how many of those hundreds (if not thousands) of people are notdrunken idiots?
        • But how many of them have access to scraped military projects?
        • Lucius Fox is Batman! He could have worked for Ford when the Futura was designed, he can easily reroute the prototypes and materials from Wayne Enterprises, and it can't be Harvey Dent, because Batman's been around for half a century, and Dent can't be over 40. Unless Dent is Lucius' apprentice...
    • Don't be ridiculous. Bruce Wayne's not Batman - Bruce Wayne's gay. All those supermodels are just a long line of beards. But he seems to spend a lot of time with his dark haired blue eyed wards, not to mention Clark Kent, and he was even seen with Lex Luthor, and everybody knows the rumors about him.
      • And Batman isn't? Anyone going around dressing like that is a bit off. I don't want to kill you. What would I do without you? You Complete Me. Anyone who has the transcript of Batman's interrogation of the Joker is thinking Foe Yay of the whole Joker-Batman thing.
        • You're joking. Batman can't be gay, he's obviously some sort of ultra-right-wing lunatic! Why else would he go around beating criminals to a pulp?
      • Clark Kent isn't gay. He's married to Lois Lane. Not that she's faithful. Hey, who could blame a gal for fooling around with a super powered muscle bound man in tights when her husband is so mild-mannered? And the worst of it? She uses this to get all the scoop on Superman and beat out her honest husband for a by-line! The nerve of some people.
    • Are you kidding me? This was disproven by the animated series.
    • I can't BELIEVE you guys are going so far with this tourist trap thing. Helloooo? Batman's not real! You ever seen Batman? Hell no! All we have is the word of the news, the police, and the Council that there's ACTUALLY some kind of, I don't know, Uber-Hero running around, taking out the mafia with his amazing skills and stopping purse-snatchings on the subway, de-shitholing Gotham one alley at a time. Yeah, right! He's about as real as the Loch Ness Monster - you think anybody would visit Lake Ness if there wasn't a "monster?" Batman has more to do with the fact that only 29% of Gotham college graduates go on to get jobs here than some super-resourceful, super-athletic guy wanting to clean up crime all of a sudden.
    • You're all wrong! Batman really is a girl! I mean, no self-respecting baddie would admit that he has been beaten by the girl, would he? So, this means that Bruce Wayne is not Batman, neither is Clark Kent. Lois Lane, on the other hand...
      • Yeah! You're right! I saw her back in No Man's Land. Spraying bat-tags and everything.
    • Batman is Peter Parker, who is Spider Man, who is that dreamy Toby MacGuire. Unnaturally strong? Check. Can't fly? Also check. Doesn'tLikeGuns? Spot-on. If you cut him, does he bleed? Yep. Lastly, does he use grappling wire to get around the city? Totally, unquestionably the same guy.
    • I always thought Batman was L. Biggest detective in the world, many aliases, creepy looks... So, that would make Joker... Kira?
      • The Joker can't be Kira. That Japanese actress Misa something-or-other is Kira; the news even said so and the Joker is definitely not a Japanese actress.
        • What better disguise, then?
      • The biggest detective in the world is Giant Boy Detective.
    • I know who Batman really is. Has access to very expensive, custom made equipment, so he's clearly got wealth. Needs some kind of support crew— but kept to a minimum, possibly even just one, to avoid endangering his Secret Identity. But that one would have to be very competent as well as fully dedicated— a Battle Butler, if you will. And Batman would certainly need a cover identity which could explain away any injuries or criminal entanglements— but he'd also need to be extremely well-trained and well-educated to do what Batman does, perhaps a great deal of travel or combat experience... Ah-HAH! It can only be one man! Batman is... Roger Smith!
      • Roger Smith?
      • We of the Union would like to add that Roger Smith is the Batman, and as such must be arrested and detained with extreme prejudice for daring to operate outside your... the law. We will hold his possessions until such time as he can retrieve them, particularly the giant mecha and the human-shaped robot girl he's keeping in his house. Our pinstripe-wearing, demonic-jester associate who is ''NOT'' the Joker will pick them up.
    • You're all morons! Harvey Bullock is Batman! Think about it: Bullock always says he hates Batman, he's much fatter than Batman, he sounds nothing like Batman, he has a reputation of taking bribes and being a crooked cop, and he uses guns. It's the perfect disguise! Who would suspect him?
      • No, Harvey Bullock is just one of Batman's disguises. The fatness is just padding, and the corruption is just a smokescreen so he can earn criminals' trust. Batman has to have an undercover identity in order to scope out criminals, and it's not like he can stick on a fake mustache and chew on a match. That would be the worst disguise ever!
    • Oh, come on everyone. It's obvious that Batman is Don Draper. Think about it: He's so mysterious, I don't think I've ever heard him talk about his past. Why does he disappear so often? He just leaves the office sometimes with no explanation. He disappeared for a whole two weeks just recently. And why does he live in a regular house? As head creative director, he should make more than that. I'll tell you why, all those gadgets are expensive. Even Harry Crane, head of the Television Department, guessed this once.
    • Don't you mean Dan Dreiberg? Vigilantes got outlawed in one universe, so he just got Dr. M. to give him a lift to an alternate one where he could continue to fight crime. But Owlman was already a villain to the denizens of The DCU, so he needed a new theme to avoid confusion...
    • Oh, whatever. You're all sheeple. It's obvious Christian Bale is Batman - he's got the voice, he clearly knows his stuff and what better cover would there be for him than actually playing Batman in the movies? None. Exactly.
    • Okay, I've lost you all, here. I just want to say that it's obvious that Bruce Wayne's butler, Alfred - the one you occasionally see in pictures with Wayne - is totally Batman. I mean, you never see him, and you'd have to be a superhero to keep all of the Wayne mansion tidy! That logically means Bruce Wayne was the first Robin.
    • People, people, do the math! What do we know about Batman?
      • He's very, very rich—to get all those wonderful toys
      • He's very narcissistic—a man with unlimited resources and ability whose only hindrance is that he believes justice must be meted out by man dressed as bat
      • He's very sullen—all that black! Probably one of those emo teens when he was younger
      • He's very, veeeeeery ugly—hence the mask
      • And he can't get rid of a bomb! Look at the Adam West series; Batman is the only superhero who can go for nuns or school children and choose neither!
        • Put it together! Who is very very rich, who loves himself terribly, who is very mean and ugly, and who keeps sinking money into Miss USA despite it losing money every year? He is... DONALD TRUMP!
    • You're all wrong...Adam West is Batman! And Christian Bale is actually...the first Robin.
      • What are you talking about? Christian Bale couldn't be Robin (of which I suspect there have been at least two or three, possibly as many as five), he's Nightwing. Some paparazzo for the Gotham Hype Machine got pictures of him recently wearing a battle suit without a mask (some time after the whole deal with the evac ferries, with all the political stuff that was going down), and it's way too functional to be Batman. Batman can't even turn his head in that cowl! He doesn't even have a bright yellow "Batman" logo on, and Nightwing's chevron is almost invisible in the dark. I could easily see TV's Adam West as Batman, though. Playing him on TV is the perfect cover, especially since he also plays Catman, and everyone knows Catman is as much of an urban legend as Spider-Man.
    • This troper is going to make a wild mass guess and say all of the above is the most epic string of comments ever. 'Nuff said.
    • This troper thinks that you're all crazy! I'm Batman! * Is beaten up*
    • And Batman's not a robot... although he might be a small alien wearing an android body. Wait, this means... ... [pause for drama]... Batman is aDalek!
    • My theory was always that Kermit the Frog was Batman, and that Bruce Wayne was Cthulhu.
    • Please. How can none of you see the signs. Bruce Wayne may have the money, but is too much of a drunken idiot to do anything like be a vigilante. The person who's actually Batman would need to be vastly intelligent to fill the role as World's Greatest Detective, fabulously wealthy to put up with the cost of equipment, really buff and muscular so he can fulfill the physical side of it, we know he has a good relationship with Superman, and I've heard rumors he's got no powers and is only a mortal. .... None of you guys get it? Batman is actually LEX LUTHOR!
      • But I've seen Batman and Lex Luthor together before, usually accompanied by Superman and The Joker.
        • That was a robot duplicate, used to fool The Joker
    • You are all fools. Batman is obviously Tony Stark. Think about it:
      • He has access to lots of high-tech weapons and gadgets.
      • Have you ever seen both of them at the same time?
      • Who would suspect that batman is also iron man?
    • You're all barking up the wrong tree. Batman has all these super martial artist skills, surrounded by hot-babes that have their own super martial arts skills, total Jerk Ass, keeps meeting up with super martial arts costumed foes with daft gimmicks, Batman is Ranma Saotome. The bat suit is obviously some sort of attempt to keep the water off, obviously it doesn't work all the time because y'know, Bat-Girl.
    • You idiots. Batman is clearly Dom Cobb. How else can he pull off all those Batman Gambits if not for the fact that he can break into your head and steal and plant the ideas he wants?
      • I was under the impression that his friend Arthur was Batman. I mean, he's an anti-gravity ninja, dresses in suits, and is really, really stoic. Although I guess that could make Arthur Robin. And if that's the case, I don't EVEN wanna know about that Eames dude.
    • Come on. We all know Batman is REALLY Christopher Nolan. Wanna know why the gadgets in his Batman movies are so well-described? It's all really his stuff. Plus, dude's an expert in messing with people's headswithout even NEEDING to break into them. He's got the skills for a Batman Gambit or three.
    • You've all got it wrong. The Batman is obviously a disguise for that Matches Malone crook. Think about it- every crime he's in on gets busted! Every single one!
    • Professor Hugo Strange is clearly the Batman. Look at him! He has the physique, the intellect, not to mention the fact that he's a criminal psychiatrist! Such a high-paying job no doubt allows him to finance his operations, and it explains Batman's detailed knowledge of the criminal mind!
    • OK, I hate to be the party-pooper here, but... why does this belong on Tv Tropes? I know the superhero genre is exciting and all, but Batman is a real person (or an urban legend, I'll give you that). He's not a fictional character, and speculating about who he really is seems kinda... silly. Not to mention distasteful - I'm sure a number of tropers are from Gotham and it is not unlikely their friend or loved one died to one of Batman's enemies. And I'm pretty sure real-life persons should not have their own pages on Tv Tropes. For the record, as conspiracy theory-ish as it sounds, I like the original theory about Batman being Bruce Wayne, it sounds almost crazy enough to be true. And some of the other WM Gsgave me a chuckle. But seriously, no speculation about real-life superheroes. Go write about the Gray Ghost or something.

Batman is a Super Soldier

There's some evidence that Batman is using requisitioned military equipment. But what if it wasn't requisitioned? What if it was issued to him by the Government? He's clearly an experimental weapon in the War on Terror, surgically or chemically enhanced to superhuman levels (hence the superhuman feats). Five years from now, assuming the experiment is successful, every city will have its own Bat.

Batman is Patrick Bateman.

Come on! Just drop the "E" and that's "Batman!" Could he make it any more obvious? Bateman's wealth would allow him develop all kinds of devices. And why else would Bateman work out so much? Or wander the streets late at night? How else can we explain the mysterious bloodstains on his clothing and person, except that he is fighting criminals? The Batsuit is as exquisitely tailored as any of Bateman's Armani. And the Batmobile - sheer style. Bateman is regularly mistaken for other Wall Street men - useful if one has an identity to conceal.

Batman is a Time Lord.

Think about it. How else can he be so Crazy Prepared? Its because he comes back from the future, knowing exactly what is going to happen, and is able to determine exactly what he needs to counter it. The Batcave is his TARDIS, and Alfred and the Bat Family are his companions.

Batman is Malkavian.

Despite looking relatively young, he's been around since the thirties and he is never seen during the day, so chances are good he is a vampire. Now the Malkavian part...

• He has a well documented series of obsessions bordering on outright mania.
    • He dresses in a silly outfit.
    • His personality changed radically over the years multiple times.
    • He's always prepared for everything. Most people just attribute it to his intelligence, but given his success rate, it seems to be far more likely that he is capable of outright precognition.
    • He can deliberatly infect other people with his madness. He has chosen multiple people over the years to do this to, and thus created the Bat Family.
    • And for the most convincing argument: He dresses in a silly outfit.

Mr. Rogers is Batman.

He has the training, after all.

Batman was Bruce Wayne all along!

Think about it, who else could afford the training and gadgets? We also know that he traveled the world much of his early adulthood in which he could have been training in esoteric martial arts and skills. His parents being killed in front of him would have given him the perfect motivation to become a crime fighter as well as causing him to constantly seek out new sidekicks to create a sense of family for himself. The millionaire playboy act is all an elaborate ruse worthy of the DCU's greatest detective himself!

Adam West is not only Batman...

But every masked super hero ever. He has the power to clone himself much like Multiple Man, and tends to send his clones out into the world in hopes that they'll gain super powers. Some of them actually succeed at gaining powers; while others work as regular costumed vigilantes. Bruce Wayne actually died years ago, and was replaced by one of West's clones that got cosmetic surgery and brainwashed himself into thinking he was Wayne. All the others have undergone similar brainwashing. Also, the main west, or "West Prime" is actually... Commisioner Gordon.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

um..... ok....

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By fodigg

@DeathpooltheT1000: Did you just post an entire discussion thread from TVTropes?

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

@fodigg said:

@DeathpooltheT1000: Did you just post an entire discussion thread from TVTropes?

To be honest, i am making that, becuase i have notice people stole threads from other forums, is amazing that take 2 months that people notice it.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By EdBlank

Is it okay to say this guy is kinda throwed?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fodigg

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

@fodigg said:

To be honest, i am making that, becuase i have notice people stole threads from other forums, is amazing that take 2 months that people notice it.

What?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By InnerVenom123

Go to your room.

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
    venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheGoldenOne said:

All_StarSupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By All_StarSupes

Bruce Wayne?

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg said:

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

@fodigg said:

What?

They copy thread from other forums, dont rewritte copy.

And dont add anything new or change anything, i at least find this twice.

I just wanted to see if some one notice it.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fodigg

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

@fodigg said:

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

@fodigg said:

What?

They copy thread from other forums, dont rewritte copy.

And dont add anything new or change anything, i at least find this twice.

I just wanted to see if some one notice it.

Okay. Pretty obvious when it's TVtropes, as the wiki-style thread and the local lingo (e.g., "this troper ...) are quite distinctive. And what does it matter if someone else wants to dupe a thread from another board? I wouldn't have minded it here except there was no context, no explanation, it was extremely long, and there's no central question for us to respond to.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: Like most of threads, most of thread no one is asking anything.

Also the point is that they are so lazy and unoriginal to even use their own words or give their own ideas.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By BatteredArmor

@TheGoldenOne said:

you took the words outa my mouth

battyfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By battyfan1

what is this?

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battyfan1 said:

what is this?

An example of what people on the DC universe would talk about.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17  Edited By RedOwl_1

LMAO :D I will think like Homer:

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RedOwl_1 said:

LMAO :D I will think like Homer:

That is a great example of what would people say to you if you say Bruce Wayne is Batman.

If i lived on the DC universe i would belive Batmans is Lex Luthor.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.