Cronenberg disses Nolan's Batman movies and comic books

#1 Edited by danhimself (22318 posts) - - Show Bio

Despite the fact that David Cronenberg directed A History of Violence which was adapted from a graphic novel, Chronenberg still had some negative things to say about comic books in a recent interview with Nextmovie.

David, you've done drama and horror. Some fairly formidable directors have branched out into superhero movies pretty beautifully —is that something you would consider doing?

DC: I don't think they are making them an elevated art form. I think it's still Batman running around in a stupid cape. I just don't think it's elevated. Christopher Nolan's best movie is "Memento," and that is an interesting movie. I don't think his Batman movies are half as interesting though they're 20 million times the expense. What he is doing is some very interesting technical stuff, which, you know, he's shooting IMAX and in 3-D. That's really tricky and difficult to do. I read about it in "American Cinematography Magazine," and technically, that's all very interesting. The movie, to me, they're mostly boring.

Do you think the subject matter prohibits the elevated art form?

DC: Absolutely. Anybody who works in the studio system has got 20 studio people sitting on his head at every moment, and they have no respect, and there's no…it doesn't matter how successful you've been. And obviously Nolan has been very successful. He's got a lot of power, relatively speaking. But he doesn't really have power.

So that's a no.

DC: I would say that's a no, you know. And the problem is you gotta… as I say, you can do some interesting, maybe unexpected things. And certainly, I've made the horror films and people say, "Can you make a horror film also an art film?" And I would say, "Yeah, I think you can."

But a superhero movie, by definition, you know, it's comic book. It's for kids. It's adolescent in its core. That has always been its appeal, and I think people who are saying, you know, "Dark Knight Rises" is, you know, supreme cinema art," I don't think they know what the f**k they're talking about.

#2 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

That's when I grab my copy of Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen, roll it up and smack him upside the head with it. I'll even leave them on his lap, "Get reading,"

He sounds jealous he didn't get to do it.

#3 Posted by danhimself (22318 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: it reminds me of this one friend of mine who no matter what you say or show to her she still fully believes that comic books are for kids and there is no reason for an adult to be reading them...a real close minded individual

#4 Posted by entropy_aegis (14569 posts) - - Show Bio

His opinion.

#5 Posted by gats_botl (78 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO nolan did a great job but if we was all to like the same stuff we wouldnt be any different.

#6 Posted by batshrine (976 posts) - - Show Bio

what 5% of superhero comic readers are kids? such a closed minded way to view things. though he does probably have a point when it comes to big studios breathing down a directors back on everything

#7 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7597 posts) - - Show Bio

Well he has got that wrong for a start, Nolan has a disdain for 3D and refuses to film in it.

#8 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

If chronenberg were to do batman the ratings would at least be an R

#9 Edited by War Killer (20005 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:

DC: But a superhero movie, by definition, you know, it's comic book. It's for kids. It's adolescent in its core. That has always been its appeal, and I think people who are saying, you know, "Dark Knight Rises" is, you know, supreme cinema art," I don't think they know what the f**k they're talking about.

Yeeeaaah...I work with little kids all the time and never once have I ever thought, "Hey, let's let them watch The Dark Knight, y'know that movie where the Joker's blowing up hospitals, burning people's faces off, and cutting throats! Or even better yet, let's read them Batman: The Killing Joke where Joker shoots a woman which paralyzes her, kidnaps her father and strips him down naked, and then shows him nude pictures of his daughter, I mean that's totally appropriate for children, right?" -___-

From that last part about TDKR, sounds like he's just jealous to me.
#10 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

The guy who's made a living out of grossing people out is criticizing actual art, haha, I'm amused. 

Jealous prick. 

#11 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

What a shit-head. So what if TDKR isn't for kids? He should go back and watch Batman and Robin.

#12 Posted by borges (65 posts) - - Show Bio

I fail to see how any of Nolan's trilogy can be considered mostly boring, maybe due to the lack of exploding heads; Cronenberg sounds tangential for the sake of it. 

#13 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Bullcrap. This is the same type of "sci-fi ghetto" nonsense that has always gone on. Why he feels he needs to shove other genres down so he can lift his pet genre--horror--up, I don't understand. Superheroes are now a mainstream convention in films. You can make all different types of Superhero stories.

#14 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9618 posts) - - Show Bio

So it means that a History of Violence is for kids and he did bullshit and his work is crap.

This guy need to think before he start talking, yes some superhero movies are for kids, ejem Avengers was for kids, but still say that Kids will understand the Joker and his idea that people are monsters.

This is the same bullcrap that Star Wars on Trial, some people are just so jelous some one else work will be study for generations and still watched in the future, but their work is going to be forget and nothing they do is going to actually last, what show at his core their work are empty and souless.

#15 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (7928 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

That's when I grab my copy of Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen, roll it up and smack him upside the head with it. I'll even leave them on his lap, "Get reading,"

Why would you even think of hurting those books....

#16 Posted by CrimsonCake (2672 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone tell him about Neil Gaiman.

#17 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

It's his opinion but it truly sounds as if he's a little jealous.

#18 Posted by InfamousFish (353 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCheeseStabber said:

@TheCrowbar said:

Why would you even think of hurting those books....

Lol

#19 Posted by Dernman (14790 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:

His opinion is dumb.

Fixed. ;p
#20 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretentious ass wipe 

#22 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

'He is one of the principal originators of what is commonly known as the body horror or venereal horror genre.' myeah GTFO dude. i agree the nolan batman films are overrated but they are still really good (except the last one). you do venereal horror movies. its like the guy that makes bricks is criticizing venus the milo.

#23 Posted by nickzambuto (13057 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

What a shit-head. So what if TDKR isn't for kids? He should go back and watch Batman and Robin.

I think you misunderstood what he said. He's saying TKDR is for kids, as is all comic books and comic book movies.

#24 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickazambuto: Except it isn't. Kids may enjoy it but a-lot of little kids wouldn't know what the f-ck was going on in the movie. Everyone was hyped for TDKR, adults, teens, etc. TDK and TDKR have very adult themes.

#25 Posted by Illuminatus (9497 posts) - - Show Bio
@CrimsonCake said:

Someone tell him about Neil Gaiman.

Or one of the collaborations between Alex Ross and Mark Waid. It would probably perplex Cronenberg to no end, who is known for being volatile when a recent film of his is not receiving much unanimous critical praise, and will probably tank at the box-office.
#26 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie Super refutes him completely.

#27 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

the people who say comic books are just for kids probably have never read a comic in there life or havent read a modern one. i think this guy is just hating because nolans a better director than him

#28 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Any press is good press for a has-been.

#29 Posted by zexion_armando (81 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel that it would be better to sell Nolan's Batman series to adults, but that doesn't explain why it has a toyline and a young boys clothing line. ITs depressing.

#30 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with him to the point that The Dark Knight Rises is not among the top tier of movie history, but relative to it's genre it is easily. My disagreement is with his dismissive manner in which he talks about the movie and genre as if it's beneath him and undeserving of the recognition it received.

While very talented, Cronenberg's body of work includes far more dud's than Nolan's, this interview comes off as petty. I am always annoyed by the "artists" who snub their nose at movies that receive both commercial success and critical acclaim. Nolan has pushed the genre into taking itself seriously and looking at the source material for what it is and not some fluff to make a mindless action flick like Transformers. If he feels he is underappreciated for his work there are far more tactful ways of going about it

#31 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8742 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Jealous prick.
#32 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

He is just butthurt that superhero movies are making $$$.

#33 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

Nolan's Batman is a good Batman movie for people who don't know anything about Batman and aren't able to understand character development

Personally, I think anyone that says something is for children is a pompous arrogant twit that thinks that an being adult and mature is about being a stuffy uptight asshole and don't have an depth of character at all.

Or perhaps a suitable more polite and credible source than I would be...

"I decided that it was not wisdom that enabled poets to write their poetry, but a kind of instinct or inspiration, such as you find in seers and prophets who deliver all their sublime messages without knowing in the least what they mean." ~ Socrates

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.