Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23630 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Could the Joker ever finally kill Batman?

• 62 results
    Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@arkhamwrath: Joker loves the battle of wits, not Batman himself, Joker has said before that he’s insane because he hates Batman so much, which makes sense. Joker has tried to murder Batman on too many occasions to say he “loves” him, that’s ridiculous. It’s the beauty of the dynamic; Joker contradicts himself, which wouldn’t that mean Joker is truly insane?

Insanity is a term that no one that knows about mental health uses anymore.

It build a false image of mental sanity.

Also the Joker is in some way in a relationship with Batman and does include a type of love.

Villains dont have to hate the hero to face him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a60370ee1024
    deactivated-5a60370ee1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: I’m not denying the special relationship with Batman, but making it out to be where Joker wouldn’t dare harm a hair on Batman’s head is really stupid when he’s contradicted himself so many times.

Of course not, but Joker does hate him, that’s not to say he doesn’t love the challenge that Batman presents to him. I guess it goes both ways, it’s a love/hate relationship. Though, Batman can live without Joker obviously.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: I’m not denying the special relationship with Batman, but making it out to be where Joker wouldn’t dare harm a hair on Batman’s head is really stupid when he’s contradicted himself so many times.

Of course not, but Joker does hate him, that’s not to say he doesn’t love the challenge that Batman presents to him. I guess it goes both ways, it’s a love/hate relationship. Though, Batman can live without Joker obviously.

Not about hie relationship with Batman, when writer make him out of character if the writer.

You confuse the Joker with the Riddler mate.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No Caption Provided

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason Todd "try to kill" Batman too, that dont mean he was going to kill him.

People also forgets Golden Age Joker outlived Batman and couldnt live with this, to the point he had to lie to himself to keep living.

Christopher Nolan:We wanted the Joker’s final taunt to Batman to be that they are locked in an ongoing struggle because of Batman’s rules. There’s a paradox there. Batman won’t kill. And the Joker is not interested in completely defeating Batman because he’s fascinated by him and he enjoys sparring with him. It’s trapped both of them. That was really the meaning of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: Yeah, stuff like “B-Blast him to guano”, shooting at him, trying to blow him up, death traps, trying to stab him, and everything thing else means he doesn’t want to kill him. Even saying that he wants to kill him in an imaginative way holds no merit. Give me a break, Joker contradicts himself, there’s literally no point in denying it.

Well, you’re making a claim, and I’d like to see you produce some evidence for that.

That quote doesn’t help your argument; it’s just a quote, not a comic.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@b4tm4nish3r3 said:

@deathpoolthet1000: Yeah, stuff like “B-Blast him to guano”, shooting at him, trying to blow him up, death traps, trying to stab him, and everything thing else means he doesn’t want to kill him. Even saying that he wants to kill him in an imaginative way holds no merit. Give me a break, Joker contradicts himself, there’s literally no point in denying it.

Well, you’re making a claim, and I’d like to see you produce some evidence for that.

That quote doesn’t help your argument; it’s just a quote, not a comic.

The Joker dont contradicts himself he lies, he has always point this.

A Quote about the relationship and from some one who worked with both characters, a comic book panel is open to interpretation but what the artist say is not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: He does lie, but not in this case, he’s contradicting himself. Those are irrefutable facts from that blog. What’s so bad about him contradicting himself anyways? He’s always got a motive; he’s not always trying to make a “point” like in the Dark Knight. I’m sure he had a point when he made all the fish in Gotham look like him too.

You still haven’t given me evidence of this instance; I would like to see it.

Sure, but Nolan isn’t a comic-book writer and using the open to interpretation argument doesn’t apply here. I’m not discrediting Nolan, and comic-book panels aren’t always open to interpretation. If that was the case, then everything about the Joker would be open to interpretation. Joker has always had a huge ego, is that open to interpretation? How is a relationship between two characters that has remained the same and have been refined open to interpretation?

You can say this about anything, but if it’s been repeated and rehashed plenty of times, then it’s not open to interpretation, especially when they’re basically feeding this information to you.

Comic-book writers are much, much more credible than movie writers, because they’re writing the source material, and this guy’s blog perfectly reflects the relationship of Batman and Joker. Any movie buff could take that and modify it, but it still remains the same in comics.

Those panels specified how Joker felt about Batman, and they were mostly consistent, but he’d go back on what he said thus contradicting himself. Then they gave a reason from the comics saying it was because he is crazy, which makes sense. Why argue against it if it’s established already?

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@b4tm4nish3r3: Because all of this is based on the idea that The Joker wants to "kill" Batman, also the whole comic books only argument is dumb, the comic books, have take from the cartoons, movies and is a thing called the Batman Mythos.

Jason Todd used to say he wanted to kill The Joker and Batman, still didnt killed the Joker and when it had his best chance at killing Batman, he didnt kill him.

Not only this, but he keep attacking the Batfamily and in some incredible ways failing at killing them.

The Joker wanted to kill Jason Todd, wanted to kill Damian Wayne and tons of people... is funny how he for some reason always fails at killing Batman, more now that Batman new power is dying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: How is that dumb? I’m excluding movies, games, and cartoons in this case because they’ve mostly taken that relationship from the comics. We’re talking about the source material, and yes, stuff has been taken from movies and incorporated into the comics, but it’s pretty rare.

Though, the only ones that done it the best was the TAS Joker and the Nolan Joker.

So, what you’re saying is, if they don’t do it on the spot and don’t actually kill them, then that means we don’t know if they actually want to kill them. That is a ridiculous argument. Just because you fail at something doesn’t mean you didn’t want to accomplish it. Penguin, Riddler, and plenty of others have tried their best, but have failed.

He fails because it’s a comic-book, and if you actually killed Batman, then no more comics, it doesn’t change the fact that Joker’s intentions have been to kill him plenty of times. It’s not left ambiguous when you attempt to stab someone and shout “I’ll kill you yet!” like in Batman #1. Whether or not he’ll kill him doesn’t matter, it’s about his intentions.

You’re making a terrible argument when you’ve already been presented plenty of pieces of evidence and facts where there have been countless situations where Joker has tried to kill him. Like that whole page included in Detective Comics #617 - A Clash of Symbols.

Also, I love that you mentioned something earlier about Joker not being able to live without Batman that was done in the Golden Age, and still haven’t given me any proof of this. Nice.

Avatar image for superscottthorpe
    superscottthorpe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anybody remember the scene from The Dark Knight I think, or it might be another movie where joker says something like where we are destined to be enemies bc of ur self-righteous belief against breaking that one rule batman has to not kill and joker then stated that "and I won't kill you because your just to much fun."

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.