Could different people don the Joker alias

#1 Posted by PurpleCandy (791 posts) - - Show Bio

Of all the times Joker has gone from the brink of extinction and surving things that would kill most (but that goes for everybody but 9/10 dosent really have the means to survive whatever it is he survived), do you think that The Joker is just an alias taken under people who started as either small or big time criminals and psychopaths that were brinked to a point of no return instanity (some argue that Joker isn't insane at all, just really weird yet genious compared to most of us and everyday people.)

#2 Posted by redhoodnet (153 posts) - - Show Bio

No...

I think he is one person and always has been in main stream continuity. I do not think it is a passed down title.

#3 Posted by Sutran (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I say no. Joker has too close of a connection with Batman and company for him to just be a passed down title. I would agree that it is possible for others to be like Joker, like in The Killing Joke, all it would take is a bad day.

#4 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to have a theory that Joker was different people, mostly because it fed my desire to make Joker even more of a polar opposite to Batman. While Batman was constant, consistent and unchanging, Joker was erratic, violent and always a different person, the evil of Gotham rising up and attacking Batman.

There's no factual evidence to support Joker is a different person though, it's just a thought.

#5 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm

#6 Posted by SoA (5241 posts) - - Show Bio

couldve sworn this was asked this week already

#7 Posted by serpent222 (319 posts) - - Show Bio

Do I think it is the case? No. Batman's skills are too keen to not realize he was different people. However, if they were to do an arc about that, I'd be open minded enough to read it, as I like the idea.

Personally, I'd account for Joker's longevity and death cheating with Joker being a form of meta.

#8 Posted by venomyak (1436 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe he is not a passed down title but a spirit possesing a new host when the old one dies?

#9 Posted by StarKiller809 (1213 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say no. If that were to happen, I don't think that readers would believe that the accident happened again and that someone else could do the things that he does. Like get to Batman so bad and leave to pattern. I don't think that another could pull it off and it would make the Joker a little less special. 

#10 Edited by Strider92 (16833 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they already have? We have no way of knowing.

#11 Posted by joshmightbe (24714 posts) - - Show Bio

He may be a bunch of different people but he's always the same guy

#12 Posted by Lvenger (21181 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe this is Snyder's big reveal at the end of Death of the Family?

#13 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15127 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: good point. maybe that's the secret, maybe Batman killed the other Joker. But to answer the qestion, no I don't think anybody else can be the Joker, just like Batman will always be Bruce Wayne (Personally I didn't mind Grayson being Batman, but it just didn't feel right), just like Peter Parker will always be Spider-man (If Slott does replace him, they are going to bring him back somehow).

#14 Posted by joshmightbe (24714 posts) - - Show Bio

My post was more saying its possible he might think he's different people

#15 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20443 posts) - - Show Bio

They could but not effectively.

#16 Posted by 8bitGangsta (392 posts) - - Show Bio

hell no

#17 Posted by DarkKnight1939 (148 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and the Joker have too much history together so I don't think having a new or mulitple Joker's would work. Also, Batman would recognise that it's a different person. But due to the Joker's gradual changes in personality and character, it's almost like having a new Joker. He seems to recreate himself each day. I like the idea of people with tragic histories being transformed and twisted by the Joker into a a villain much like Harley Quinn was.

#18 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm... if theres an arc comihg up about that id happily read it!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.