Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Could Batman go Rogue?

Acharya77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

We've all seen various scenarios of super heroes going rogue like Superman in the recent Injustice game and comics or in other series where Superman perhaps loses Lois and thus loses control. Given how powerful Superman is many think it's easy for him to lose it. The scenario I'm sure has also been done on other characters in and outside of the DC universe.

But Batman is always seen as the example. True he may not be as big of a boyscout as some characters but Batman strives to be incorruptible that he can never be brought down to the level of the criminals and super villains he faces. It's why he never takes a life, not even a criminal life because of his belief that Gotham needs him to be better than those who do. Also I want to point out I strictly mean Bruce Wayne and not the glimpse of Batman we saw in Flash Point when Thomas Wayne wasn't afraid to kill.

But I can't help but be curious, what if Batman could be corrupted? What would it take to turn the dark knight rogue? The loss of loved ones doesn't affect him the same way as it would Superman since after all, this is what made Bruce Wayne into Batman to begin with. Of course his parents wouldn't be the only loss as he lost Jason Todd at the hands of the Joker. Regardless how you feel about Jason Todd, he's still someone that Batman cared about and was stricken with grief over his death so much so he didn't want another Robin anymore. Yet he was still Batman doing what he did before though some would say he was coming apart and needed a Robin which is why Tim Drake came along proclaiming as such.

Recently we've seen Batman lose not only another Robin but his own flesh and blood, his own son Damian. This of course sent him into fits of anger and in an amazing silent issue decided to take it out on some crooks prowling the streets. Course he did not kill a single one as he left a nice little pile of bad guys for Gordon to take care of. He's still stricken with a lot of grief and a lot of pain but none of it has been enough to push him to going rogue.

But what about many of the disagreements Batman has had with the Justice League members and how distrusting he is of all the various meta humans? Anyone who's watched the Justice League animated series may have even seen this where Bruce comes right out and says what he thinks of all the gods up in their tower and how the governments of the world have every right to be scared. Again this is territory that's somewhat being covered in the recent Injustice comics as well as other stories and why Batman makes it a point to be prepared for any one of the JL members to go rogue.

But imagine if anyone in the JL had to worry about a rogue Batman? I know many would think someone like Superman would simply crush him but I know very well it would not be that easy. It's easy to look at Batman as "the one who doesn't have any powers" but any character who'd think that about Batman has already lost to him. Batman's greatest strength is how prepared he is for almost any contingency and in a pinch has been very resourceful to get out of it.

But now I'm just rambling, to sum up what do you folks think it would take for Batman to go rogue? Is it poosible to ever corrupt the Dark Knight? What if Bruce Wayne decided he wanted to take over the world? Who would stop him?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Nightmare Batman. Vampirism + Joker blood = rogue Batman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Part of Batmans character is that he is incorruptible and will never kill, and he has been through so much that i dont think that anything could turn him now.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have longed to see a rogue Batman else world story. I would expect him to be a similar villain to Prometheus.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want an Ozymandias-esque Bats!

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Batman is very capable of going rogue. He could become a Ra's al Ghul or Ozymandias. I could imagine it

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

We do have an evil Batman. Ra's Al Ghul. He wants to change the world like Batman, but is evil and kills people because of a twisted sense of justice.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Does going rogue necessarily mean he has to be a villain?

I always thought it would be great if he gave the JL the middle finger and went home and fired his bloated staff of superheroes tailing him around Gotham. Like completely shut out the greater Superhero community and started operating strictly solo. Frank Miller has played on this plot thread a couple times, but I think it'd have a greater impact if it were to happen in the current continuity.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Evil Batman = Dr. Doom + Ra's al Ghul + Sinestro(ring too) + Prometheus + Owlman + Ozymandias + Infinity

Other Superheroes = Doomed.

AkshunYadav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

Evil Batman = Dr. Doom + Ra's al Ghul + Sinestro(ring too) + Prometheus + Owlman + Ozymandias + Infinity

heh...

and please. ra's is no way an evil batman!!!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

heh...

and please. ra's is no way an evil batman!!!

Yeah Bats is better than Ra's.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to see a rogue Batman story. But then again, DC doesn't want to offend Batwankers now do they?

They don't want to offend Superwankers, Wonderwankers, GLwankers etc.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'd love to see a rogue Batman story. But then again, DC doesn't want to offend Batwankers now do they?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

@black_claw said:

Yeah, because everyone who doesn't want to see their favourite hero beat up other heroes is a wanker (rolls eyes at stupidity)

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

@black_claw said:

Yeah, because everyone who doesn't want to see their favourite hero beat up other heroes is a wanker (rolls eyes at stupidity)

I meant offended as in seeing Batman being portrayed in a negative light.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

@black_claw said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@black_claw said:

I meant offended as in seeing Batman being portrayed in a negative light.

That's a completely different thing.

And Batman is always portrayed in a negative light. Johns loves to write him as an incompetent jerk, while he's just plain incompetent in Snyder's run.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This may be the most stupid comment I have ever seen.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I want an Ozymandias-esque Bats!

Yea the difference between a rogue Batman and a rogue Superman is that with Supes it would be a straight up take over, a super-dictatorship with Kal as the head but with a rogue Batman it would be all behind the scene stuff with with Batman behind the curtain.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By TDK_1997

If it is written properly then why not.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.