Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Christian bale says, "let's not be greedy"

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

“We were incredibly fortunate to get to make three," Bale told the site. That’s enough. Let’s not get greedy. Chris [Nolan] always said he wanted to make it one film at a time. And we ended up sitting there looking at each other, saying ‘We’re about to make the third.’ We never really knew if we were going to get to be there, but if that was how it was going to be, this was where it should end as well.”

Although nobody from Warner bro. Or DC has reached out to the star but even then bale says that doesn't mean he still would take the role as the Dark knight in the justice league film. Sad

Xeno_Seeker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

do you think that the batman in the dark knight movies would even work in a JL film?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By SOG7dc

good. I hated bale as batman

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I wouldn't want Bale to be Batman anymore anyway

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

Dear Chris Bale,

Please take Nolan and keep the <bleep> away from Batman. Your take on Batman and his supporting characters are garbage for the most part and the profit made from those movies are not due to your work but rather Batman as an IP which could make money even if it were directed and written by M. Night Shamalan and starred Kevin Costner as Batman. I could be wrong about that, but my point stands, the Batman IP was not made good by you and you have not served that IP well. So please, kindly go do something else that fits your abilities as an actor.

Xeno_Seeker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i feel like there hasn't been an actor yet that has portayed bruce wayne as he should be,

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be hard to top him, he was great in the role.

DigbyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DigbyKong

Christian bale says, "let's not be greedy"

Says the guy with millions of dollars.

There hasn't been a truly good portrayal of Batman yet, and the best Bruce Wayne was Val Kilmer.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Christian Bale was definitely that best Bruce Wayne/Batman. But I really really do not want him in a Justice League movie. Find a different actor to portray a different type of Batman.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I agree. Bale has been the best Batman to date but I don't want him near the JL movie.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Personally I'm very glad comic fans don't decide these things. These are the same people that ripped the Heath Ledger casting and the lack of a perma-white Joker. Comics don't even follow their own canon, how can we expect Hollywood to?

And Bale was a tremendous Batman. His "Bat voice" will always be a subject that emits a few chuckles, particularly as the movie begins to age, but he did a great job making Batman relevant again on screen . He was also a fantastic Bruce Wayne.

If WB knew that Bale would say yes, they would bring him back in a heartbeat. That being said, they really don't want to piss off Nolan. They know that guy is going to make them a lot more money as he pursues other movies.

In short, Bale + JLA movie = legendary box office. Probably would beat the Avengers figure. I'd support it, but I realize that Bale's Batman doesn't fit in these future plans.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

Personally I'm very glad comic fans don't decide these things. These are the same people that ripped the Heath Ledger casting and the lack of a perma-white Joker. Comics don't even follow their own canon, how can we expect Hollywood to?

A what?

Nahuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nahuel

Suddenly everyone hates Bale... Interesting

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should be pointed out that Legendary and Warner Brothers have split ways so it is not 100% certain anymore than Legendary will handle MoS2 or any other future DC movie products... just saying...

DigbyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nahuel said:

I love Christian Bale as an actor and most of his films, but not as Batman.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nahuel said:

And yet most of these self-identified hipsters saw all three of the movies...some multiple times.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And Bale was a tremendous Batman. His "Bat voice" will always be a subject that emits a few chuckles, particularly as the movie begins to age, but he did a great job making Batman relevant again on screen . He was also a fantastic Bruce Wayne.

If WB knew that Bale would say yes, they would bring him back in a heartbeat. That being said, they really don't want to piss off Nolan. They know that guy is going to make them a lot more money as he pursues other movies.

In short, Bale + JLA movie = legendary box office. Probably would beat the Avengers figure. I'd support it, but I realize that Bale's Batman doesn't fit in these future plans.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nahuel: no, I love him as batman

@xeno_seeker: no but we all already used to this batman, a lot of people love this batman, I prefer not going threw another whole new version of Batman right now.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@nahuel said:

I thought he did a fine job as Batman but I'm done with those movies and I want someone else to give it a shot and see a different take on the character

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@reignmaker: Yes I agree . I thought Bales Bat was great ( though I cant forgive DKR ) and I would love him in League but I wouldnt be suprised or mad if he wasnt.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By reignmaker

@ultrastarkiller: Yeah, I think the death of Heath really wrecked what the third movie could have been. I also didn't like how it borrowed so liberally from Miller's Dark Knight Returns in the opening hour. That being said, it was still a better #3 than Superman, Spider-Man, or the X-Men were able to muster.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very true.

@reignmaker said:

A what?

TDK Joker painted his face white while the comic version has permanent white skin after the accident.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@rustyroy said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@reignmaker said:

A what?

TDK Joker painted his face white while the comic version has permanent white skin after the accident.

Oh, I see. I don't remember that being mentioned, but it's been a while since I saw it.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

That wasn't the whole interview, in it he also stated pretty clearly that he thought he'd done all he could do as Batman and felt it was a torch that should be passed to another actor.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That wasn't the whole interview, in it he also stated pretty clearly that he thought he'd done all he could do as Batman and felt it was a torch that should be passed to another actor.

Yes, he did say that.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller
    TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Bale was a great Batman although all of the bad comments he was getting.His batvoice was the worst thing but that didn't make me hate him as Batman.But even though he was great I would like somebody new.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: ya some people think he should have talked in his regular voice and some how people wouldn't have noticed Bruce Wayne was batman, I liked it tho lol "WHERE'S HARVEY DENT" *TDK voice*

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bale was a great batman and Bruce wayne. He may not be your favorite, but those three movies were critically acclaimed and made billions. He also resparked the public interest in batman, like batman tas did.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He obviously did something right, your Val Kilmer and Keaton movies didnt make billions.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People and their terrible biased comment to bizarre nostalgia about the 80s and Marvelness vision about who Batman should be.
    People and their terrible biased comment to bizarre nostalgia about the 80s and Marvelness vision about who Batman should be.

Even when i dont want Bale coming back, many of this comments are based on nostalgia about a past that never was and a present that is not real.

Nahuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@digbykong: That's the way of saying it, not just hate him because of hate, like most of the other comments

@nahuel said:

I thought he did a fine job as Batman but I'm done with those movies and I want someone else to give it a shot and see a different take on the character

Me too, dude... i loved him as Batman, but i don't want to see him again as Batman if Warner is going to make a reboot, just like you. My point was that suddenly everyone hated his portrayal and almost sounded like they wanted the bloody nipples back on the suit.

@nahuel said:

And yet most of these self-identified hipsters saw all three of the movies...some multiple times.

You are completely right!

I admit i loved the trilogy and i include myself in the "Self-identified hipsters" you mention and i own the Blurays of the second and third movies (F*ck! hahahahahahaha), but someone new should take the mantle if they are planning a reboot. It just pissed me that almost everyone were hating this trilogy when it was the cause of changing the way non comic readers saw the Superhero Movies, that's all.

DarkKnight1939

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DarkKnight1939

Christian Bale played Batman excellently, as well as Bruce Wayne. However the NolanVerse should in no way be part of the JLA movie, it simply wouldn't work and would ruin the franchise. I also wouldn't want the Man of Steel to be part of the JLA movie. The connected movie universe I don't see working for DC. Marvel successfully managed to do it with the Avengers and the films building up to it, but again I don't see it working. The 'heroes grounded in reality' tone also wouldn't really work for a Justice League film. What I want to see is seperate franchises propping up for each member of the JLA to familiarise and acquaint audiences with their film like Marvel did, but keeping the JLA seperate, with different actors, so it doesn't have to mess around with background stories and connecting films and just get straight into the plot, but it is too late for that now.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@durakken said:

Dear Chris Bale,

Please take Nolan and keep the <bleep> away from Batman. Your take on Batman and his supporting characters are garbage for the most part and the profit made from those movies are not due to your work but rather Batman as an IP which could make money even if it were directed and written by M. Night Shamalan and starred Kevin Costner as Batman. I could be wrong about that, but my point stands, the Batman IP was not made good by you and you have not served that IP well. So please, kindly go do something else that fits your abilities as an actor.

This explains the success of Batman and Robin.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: bale was the best Bruce Wayne. No he didn't make Batman famous, but he dramatically increased the popularity of the character in the 2000s with his badass, modernized batman world. You should be happy of that and try to enjoy Batman in all forms.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

What's with all this Christian bale hatred? He did three films that were monstrously successful and don't say its just because of the Batman character, because a rubbish film is a rubbish film as proved by Batman and Robin which had the then mega famous George Clooney and was woeful. I remember coming out of the cinema so disappointed with that one and sad that the franchise had ended on such a low. Perhaps Batman in the films didn't represent the comic book one but then the comic book one is so absurdly good at everything, considering he is a normal non super powered human, that I guess they went in for a dose of reality where Batman takes the occasional beating. Anyway its a shame he isn't carrying on, but I don't blame him after those 3 epic films. Time for someone else to take it on. Spiderman has done ok with Andrew Garfield so soon after the Tobey Maguire films.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Durakken

@entropy_aegis said:

@durakken said:

Dear Chris Bale,

This explains the success of Batman and Robin.

Here's the problem, it's incredibly hard to get VHS and DVD sales numbers and considering that is where most of the money is in just film (it's toys and merch sold to kids if you go outside of film itself) we have no idea how good or bad the movie really did. Box Office returns really only show how many people were conned into seeing a movie or had high hopes for a movie.

That aside, people trashing Schumacher's Batman and why it did poorly I would put on a number of things that don't relate to the how good or bad the film actually was such as a steady decline from the first which means the movie series didn't have that return appeal to begin with. You can also say that Burton put up an expectation which was different from Schumacher's so people reacted negatively. Further still It was '97 and we just started to move to this nonsensical grim and gritty "realism" crap which we only let slide when there was good comedy (such as in MIB) Then you have people that simply thought that Burton's Batman was more accurate and B:TAS was still the rage, when the fact is Schumacher's Batman is decently accurate to pre-1980s Batman as was the 1960s Adam West Batman.

Along with those things and probably many others, despite Clooney being considered a megastar for some reason, he doesn't look the part, he doesn't act the part, and he isn't as big a star as some people like to make him out to be, especially not to most anyone who has an interest in Batman... In fact I'd say he's a detractor to the movie and would have said it then if I were working on the film, because itis just so obvious that he would have put a lot of people off.

There are 4 ways in which an actor fills a role... Good for the role and entertain. Good for the role, but not entertaining. Bad for the role, but entertaining. Bad for the role and unentertaining.

Nick Cage as Superman = Bad for the role, but entertaining

Arnold as Mr Freeze = Bad but entertaining

Clooney as Batman = Bad and not entertaining

If you're entertaining, even if the portrayal is wrong people don't care that the portrayal is wrong most times... If you're portrayal is wrong it doesn't matter how good an actor you are people will not like you playing that role. That's why Arnold and Nick Cage get away with it while someone like Clooney could never.

As far as Bale's portrayal of the character... He did well with what he had. Could have done without the voice, but otherwise he did ok. It's just that Nolan's Batman doesn't get the character right in so many ways so yeah... The only reason Bale can shut up and go away as far as I am concerned is due to the cockiness of his statement, which to me reads as if he thinks Batman works only cuz of him, which to me is just dumb to begin with but even assuming that Nolan's Batman was good, he is still in the wrong thinking that he's a needed component to Batman being good.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty much pissed with all the Bale hate.. Even more than those irritating Nolanites.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Seems to be a divide here.

I'm joining 'Team Bale is not a good Batman'

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.