Chicago is Gotham City, Again

Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Of all the wildcards out there regarding BATMAN 3 - - the villains, the cast, the plot, et cetera - - possibly the surest bet was that it would return filming to Chicago. According to Batman-on-Film, by way of IESB, location scouting has already begun in the Windy City.

Prowling Chicago streets...

This maps alleges it's on the East Coast, but it's a pack of lies!

“[They] have been out and about in Chicago’s Financial District,” the site’s anonymous source informs. I can only assume the “they” are the location scouts and that the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Chicago’s my home town, so this puts a smile on my questionably-serious face without the aide of a butcher knife. Of all the elements I liked so much about BATMAN BEGINS & DARK KNIGHT, I got special enjoyment out of seeing Gotham double for Chicago. To see the Joker’s truck flip on Lasalle street, right in front of the Chicago Board of Trade. To witness Batman perched atop the Sears Tower. To observe that wonderful, gold halogen glow that’s so omnipresent from the street lights at night.

Am I right?

G-Man, Babs and myself - - the Comic Vine friends - - actually discussed this very issue during my guest spot (g-spot, Tony?) on the podcast last Friday. Obviously, the similarities are stronger depending on who’s writing the story, but I’ve always liked to think that Gotham’s an analog for Chicago in the DCU, not Metropolis.   Despite what some individuals suggest, I see stronger connections to New York in Superman’s city.

You’ll probably never see Batman eating deep dish pizza or munching on a Chicago-style dog, but there are some strong connections. There’s the Chicago river and the Gotham river. Chicago has a history of memorable, over-the-top super-criminals like Al Capone and Frank Nitti, as does Gotham.  And, most visually, many of Gotham’s depictions in the first series of BATMAN movies and the first Animated Series display a lot of Art Deco architecture, which is, of course, a fixture of the Chi.

Who’s with me here, oh cosmopolitan Comic Vine community? Are the similarities I see baseless? Should I be locked away in Arkham Asylum for insanity? Or am I on to something, here? And do you see any more connections yourselves, while we’re at it?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

#1 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

great news !!!!

#2 Posted by kev17 (332 posts) - - Show Bio

Chicago is a great city to shoot Batman in. I loved the Wally Pfister's ( The Dark Knights Cinematographer) work on TDK.  Neal Adams has always said the modern Gotham has been modelled on Chicago as well. 
#3 Edited by NightFang (9858 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really care where they film the movie as long as they film it. I always thought Gotham was more like New York.

#4 Posted by greenenvy (634 posts) - - Show Bio

So does this mean there defeintly filming the sequel!?
#5 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

I live about a 15 minute highway drive to Chicago so I agree whole heartedly with you.  I always thought that before the film was made.  The whole nation gets the Chicago channel WGN, it's how the Chicago Cubs (which suck by the way.  Good guys wair black go White Sox) are as popular as they are and Ive noticed something about it.  I have a few friends from out west, Cali, Washinton area and they watch our news over their news because our news  comes off almost like its fake with the crime and the corruption, (I think we've had 3 going on number 4 Goveners go to jail).  If you live anywhere near the city and had family raised in Cook County you hear about the corrupt politics and little scams, and dope dealers and underground gambling.  My friends from out west joke with me and tell me that our news if made up and there is no way that crime florishes as much as it does here and there is no way people would so much crime just take place.  I try to tell them that most Chicagoins have 2 criminals in their family to every 1 cop in their family so no one rats on anyone, its just shunned upon out here (even tho there are alot of dirty rats in this town) so the crime and corruption just happens.  I come from a town where basically no uses stop signs, everyone rolls thru them because whos gonna give them a ticket when they have an uncle, or brother on the force.  A town where if there is a fight the guy who is not from that town gets arrested no matter if he started it or not, and they usually don't.  It's a dirty but beautiful City and it's home but we sure could use a Batman, we already have to many Jokers.
#6 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

I am glad first off for Chicago...represent the home town. Second this means a new movie is in the works.

#7 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@goldenkey: Well said. And Blago's pretty much a comic book character already.
#8 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

You, G-Man and Babs talked about what city Gotham represented and you and G said you felt Gotham represented Chicago while Babs felt it was a bit more like New York.   

I think Gotham is a bit of both.  Having said that, it's cool they intend to film Bats Numero Tres in Ol' Chicago.  They're not going to Canada or another country.  While I've not been back that way for a long time, I have family there and have cousins who work right in the heart of the city.  Maybe if filming gets under way they can give me any 4-1-1 if they spot any film making. 
#9 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

inferiorego's gonna love this!

#10 Posted by Emerald Warrior (182 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotham city has been a character itself on the films... I'm glad They chose Chicago, NY's been seen to much on film, and i agree, gotham has this chicago-esque look to it...  

Great news!!! yay batman 3!!!

#11 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio
kool
#12 Posted by Green Flash (155 posts) - - Show Bio

MIDWEST FOR LIFE!  Love it and I love that Keystone and Central City are the TWIN CITIES!  Woot
#13 Posted by inferiorego (21214 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! said:
" inferiorego's gonna love this! "
Oh, I already do! And this time, I won't be working security! Maybe I'll just go down a few days to watch filming.
Staff
#14 Edited by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tom Pinchuk said:

" @goldenkey: Well said. And Blago's pretty much a comic book character already. "

He's more of a cartoon character then a comic book character and thanks
#15 Posted by Comiclove5 (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotham is in New Jeresy.
#16 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Chicago and all , but really Gotham is NYC with a mix of Newark's crime. It was even called NYC before it was changed to Gotham. Also if you notice it has a "Statue of Liberty" something Shytown doesn't have. Bottomline - Gotham is NYC & Chicago's love child on roids.
#17 Posted by abtin (37 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Chocolate Lantern (169 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego: I'm coming with you!

@Decept-O said:
" You, G-Man and Babs talked about what city Gotham represented and you and G said you felt Gotham represented Chicago while Babs felt it was a bit more like New York.    I think Gotham is a bit of both.  Having said that, it's cool they intend to film Bats Numero Tres in Ol' Chicago.  They're not going to Canada or another country.  While I've not been back that way for a long time, I have family there and have cousins who work right in the heart of the city.  Maybe if filming gets under way they can give me any 4-1-1 if they spot any film making.  "

I agree it is a bit of both. New York has a much higher paced life style compared to Chicago, It is a little bit more on the dirty side than Chicago. Chicago Has the river which is big, but in my opinion i agree a little with what @Bruce Vain said:
" I love Chicago and all , but really Gotham is NYC with a mix of Newark's crime. It was even called NYC before it was changed to Gotham. Also if you notice it has a "Statue of Liberty" something Shytown doesn't have. Bottomline - Gotham is NYC & Chicago's love child on roids. "
BRICK CITY!! (aka Newark for the non east coasters) has beautiful buildings and tons of crime. NYC is the best city in the world theres no question about that. But Chicago I feel is the choice for Batman film makers because NYC gets every other movie, its easier to set up filming sites in Chicago (its more open and less hectic than NYC), and people aren't as familiar with the sites of Chicago as they are of the sites of NYC allowing for the feeling that the film is actually taking place in "Gotham" rather than Chicago

having said that I cant wait till they start filming me and Inferiorego are going to watch
#19 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chocolate Lantern:
I think that's why I liked Batman Begins a little more cause it would look like NYC in a few shots but then Chicago in the other shots. Where you weren't sure which city they're in. But now in the 2nd one it's obviously Chicago just expanded upon. Which I'm cool with. I just prefer the combination of the 2 like in the first one. And is it just me or does it seem like Nolan dismissed the Narrows in the 2nd one. It's like they didn't even mention that part of Gotham. Same goes for the train from the first one. You didn't even see it on the skyview shots of Gotham.
#20 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio
@skaarason said:
"great news !!!! "
#21 Posted by inferiorego (21214 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chocolate Lantern said:
I cant wait till they start filming me and Inferiorego are going to watch "
let's party
Staff
#22 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18818 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! Hopefully i get to see it this time ^_^

#23 Posted by wordchallenge (151 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought of Gotham as a NY in the Illinois area..

#24 Posted by welshguy (197 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the things I didn't like about the Dark Knight was that it did not feel like it was Gotham City. It felt more like Chicago (or how Chicago feels to a short arse welshman whose experience of the real America just so happens to be Florida). I know Nolan and his gang want to make a more realistic batman but come on. you don't need to go all Tim Burton crazy to make a good gotham city. somehow they managed it with Batman Begins

#25 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@goldenkey: 
great post, and unlike your certain friends i believe you about the points you brought up. 
ive been around the country and seen everyone for myself and then some.
#26 Posted by MikeIsrael (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought  BATMAN BEGINS & DARK KNIGHT were masterpieces I would love to do batman #3 rage against the Bain!

#27 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4157 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow didn't realize Metropolis was in Delaware and Gotham was in New Jeresy... neither location even makes sense. I always pictured Gotham on the shores of one of the great lakes and Metropolis... I don't know always seemed to be more west coast to me, it just always had a west coast feel.

#28 Edited by Gothic Storm (842 posts) - - Show Bio

So does that mean Soldier Field is actually a mirrored replica of Arkham Asylum... or the other way around? Great story about how art imitates life... or is it the other way around?

#29 Posted by Mr. Smiths (1912 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang said:
"I don't really care where they film the movie as long as they film it. I always thought Gotham was more like New York. "

Yeah Gotham is NYC.
#30 Posted by THEBlaqueBasterd (384 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotham is Probly Chicago In the Day.. New York in the night.. &located In pennsylvania (Steel City..Shipping City etc) With a Washington D.C attitude... Probly...Just Probly

#31 Posted by JThree47693 (2538 posts) - - Show Bio

My home town, so of course I am going to be excited about this.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.