Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Catwoman is getting a new writer!

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The Catwoman series may be finally readable again! Here's the link:

http://batman-news.com/2014/07/08/catwoman-may-readable-october/

The new writer, Genevieve Valentine is someone that primarily works in novels and is her first foray into DC comics. I am not familiar with her work and I am curious to know if anyone has read any of her books. If so, do you think based on her past books that her writing style can translate well with Catwoman?

Also for fans of the character I would like to hear how you feel about this and what your favorite Catwoman run was

As an added note the artist that will be taking over is Garry Brown who is probably best known for Five Ghosts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice to hear its a female, and anyone but the current writer. At this point, it should have been canceled long ago but maybe now it will better.

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: It should have been canceled but I'm glad it wasn't. Catwoman really does deserve her own book, and there really is potential to tell great stories with her if you have the right writer (e.g. Brubaker). IMO they should have changed the writer after the first arc.

Link to interview with Genevieve Valentine: http://io9.com/first-details-on-dc-s-klarion-the-witch-boy-comic-and-a-1601697487

She seems like a fan of the character so I'll take that as a good sign.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batcat91: anything would be better than what we have now, but I am actually quite excited about this.

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope she also gets a new artist, because up 'til now they have all made her ugly (except in When In Rome)

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By batcat91

@masterdetective: Hhmm can't say for the artwork during Nocenti's run since I haven't read it. I read one issue from her which was a DOTF tie-in and I couldn't read any more future issues lol. March's artwork is good but I wasn't a fan of the way he drew her.

For good artwork when it comes to Catwoman I'd say Darwyn Cooke and Cameron Stewart have the best take of her imo. Jim Balent is also pretty good

@jayc1324 said:

@batcat91: anything would be better than what we have now, but I am actually quite excited about this.

Yeah and I really love the cover for that issue. What can I say I'm a fan of Jae Lee's art.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for her

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Catching up with Catwoman would be nice. I just couldn't do it after flipping through the first couple of issues of the new 52.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I believe this new team will only stay for 6 issues.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Again?!

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: I'll wait and see if the team does well in the book, but I'm pretty optimistic. I've looked up reviews for some of Valentine's books and for the most part they've been very well received.

If she blows my expectations it would be a shame for Valentine to write only six issues.

Again?!

What do you mean again?! 0.o; It's about time it happened, have you read Nocenti's Catwoman?! lol

@ms-lola said:

Catching up with Catwoman would be nice. I just couldn't do it after flipping through the first couple of issues of the new 52.

I thought Winnick's run was decent. I think he wanted to portray a more inexperienced and reckless Selina Kyle. Which is weird that I know think about it, since Selina's 5 years into her career as Catwoman in the new 52. Gah her continuity's a mess haha.

I'm with you. I miss the sophisticated and classy Selina Kyle from Cooke's and Brubaker's run and hope to see that reemergence soon. I also hope she doesn't become a straight up villain. While she's always been a morally gray character, Selina is a good person at heart. Catwoman basically steals from the rich and corrupt and doesn't kill. Well... except for Black Mask, but he definitely had it coming.

Regardless I'm interested in how Selina deals with choices that clash with her conscience since she's basically going to be the queen of Gotham's underworld.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@batcat91 said:
    @punyparker said:

Again?!

What do you mean again?! 0.o; It's about time it happened, have you read Nocenti's Catwoman?! lol

I know i know,but they already have changed,and constant writer change is never good for a book.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@batcat91 said:

@entropy_aegis: I'll wait and see if the team does well in the book, but I'm pretty optimistic. I've looked up reviews for some of Valentine's books and for the most part they've been very well received.

If she blows my expectations it would be a shame for Valentine to write only six issues.

@punyparker said:

Again?!

@ms-lola said:

I thought Winnick's run was decent. I think he wanted to portray a more inexperienced and reckless Selina Kyle. Which is weird that I know think about it, since Selina's 5 years into her career as Catwoman in the new 52. Gah her continuity's a mess haha.

I'm with you. I miss the sophisticated and classy Selina Kyle from Cooke's and Brubaker's run and hope to see that reemergence soon. I also hope she doesn't become a straight up villain. While she's always been a morally gray character, Selina is a good person at heart. Catwoman basically steals from the rich and corrupt and doesn't kill. Well... except for Black Mask, but he definitely had it coming.

Regardless I'm interested in how Selina deals with choices that clash with her conscience since she's basically going to be the queen of Gotham's underworld.

Let's hope this new creative team turns things around and I can fit Selena into my pull list. What happened to her character in her solo has been a travesty.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.