Cancel The Dark Knight and give Damian Wayne a futuristic book

#1 Posted by Reignmaker (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

Be honest. If Damian doesn't get a monthly book like this...

Badass on a monthly basis!

...then his character will eventually end up looking like this...

I will never grow up! Weeee!

...until DC will eventually decide to do this...

Mu$t be acce$$ible to new reader$

...after which, it's more likely than not Damian will become something like this:

Solution. End mediocre uninteresting books like Batman: The Dark Knight and replace it with a futuristic take on Damian Wayne. Save Damian. Don't make him the next Wally West.

Online
#2 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

...no...

The difference is that the sales of a Damian Wayne solo book would come nowhere close to the Wally West Flash from before.

Remember, this is a business.

#3 Posted by KnightRise (4750 posts) - - Show Bio

10/10 WOULD BUY

build up to the apocalypse then have stories after.

...like him having/adopting a half black son, with faded dyed red hair and pierced ears...I'd really...er, I mean he'd really win some fangirls in my his tight body armor and ninja scarf...when I he became Robin.

#4 Posted by Reignmaker (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crash_Recovery said:

...no...

The difference is that the sales of a Damian Wayne solo book would come nowhere close to the Wally West Flash from before.

Remember, this is a business.

Serious? You don't think a darker-more futuristic Batman would sell?

Dick, Jason, and Babs are all out-selling Barry Allen's Flash book right now. This book would sell like hotcakes!

Online
#5 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

A darker Batman?

Batman doesn't need to keep chasing Darker. I'm not saying he needs to be saying "chum" but this isn't the '80s anymore, we don't need to keep pushing for "dark" and "extreme".

Damien is a much more polarizing figure than Dick, Jason (who isn't the only character in that team book) and Babs and don't have as deep a fanbase.

#6 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1639 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see this concept! I never really liked Morrison's run on Batman, but I must admit I'd loved Damian - Batman. I want to see it as a What if version.

#7 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

Serious? You don't think a darker-more futuristic Batman would sell?

Dick, Jason, and Babs are all out-selling Barry Allen's Flash book right now. This book would sell like hotcakes!

Where can one see the sales of that?

#8 Edited by Reignmaker (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

@Reignmaker said:

Serious? You don't think a darker-more futuristic Batman would sell?

Dick, Jason, and Babs are all out-selling Barry Allen's Flash book right now. This book would sell like hotcakes!

Where can one see the sales of that?

This site regularly posts the numbers. I believe this is December...

http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/597?articleID=130148

Online
#9 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool thanks! :>

on topic: I like The Dark Knight run going on now though..

#10 Posted by NovaDawg (22 posts) - - Show Bio

If I was God of the DC Universe:

1) Cancel Batwing, The Dark Knight, Legends of the Dark Knight (as a monthly), Suicide Squad, Catwoman, and Superboy

2) Replace as follows:

  • Batwing becomes major character of Batman Inc.
  • Tim Drake Red Robin Solo
  • A alt universe Damian Batman Solo
  • Legends of the Dark Knight as a bi-yearly graphic novel or annual.
  • NO CATWOMAN IN EFING JLA!!!!!!!!!!
  • Harley, Catwoman, and Ivy in Sirens title again.

I think most people would be cool with that and sales would go up.

#11 Posted by The_Tree (6399 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Damian would be erased from continuity, but I would definitely read a book where he's the Batman of the future. I think it'd be cool if he took up Carrie Kelly as his Robin.

#12 Posted by Joelislegend (215 posts) - - Show Bio

Only if Grant Morrison writes it.

#13 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I would prefer to Tim to get his own book at least

@Joelislegend said:

Only if Grant Morrison writes it.

then I'm sold.

#14 Posted by JakeN7 (4538 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker: YES! I love the Damian Batman. He's incredible! The New 52 has already had him (sort of) appear twice (one full appearance in Batman Inc. #5 and then just the costume in Batman and Robin Annual #1) so I'm sure DC is aware of the popularity of that version of the character, and I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to expand on him in the future.

@The_Tree said:

I think it'd be cool if he took up Carrie Kelly as his Robin.

Is everyone forgetting that Damian saves Terry McGinnis who he raises and trains to eventually become (all of you should know) Batman Beyond. Why wouldn't Terry be Damian's Robin? (these events happened in Batman #700 and Superman/Batman #75.)

Also, i don't think Frank Miller's dystopic futuristic Bat-verse would mesh well with Grant Morrison's dystopic futuristic Bat-verse.

@KnightRise said:

...like him having/adopting a half black son, with faded dyed red hair and pierced ears...I'd really...er, I mean he'd really win some fangirls in my his tight body armor and ninja scarf...when I he became Robin.

I would call you a narcissist if your post wasn't so damn amusing and awesome.

#15 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

This would be awesome

#16 Posted by Brit (372 posts) - - Show Bio

i agree, Damian needs his own solo series ASAP.

#17 Posted by SmashBrawler (4735 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantastic idea, especially if this means we're finally getting rid of The Dark Knight. I have a grudge against that book.

#18 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Damian as Batman! Maybe even more than regular Batman! A solo book would be great.

#19 Posted by spidermonkey2099 (596 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd read it.

#20 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

Fantastic idea, especially if this means we're finally getting rid of The Dark Knight. I have a grudge against that book.

Why!? :<?

#21 Posted by SmashBrawler (4735 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Fantastic idea, especially if this means we're finally getting rid of The Dark Knight. I have a grudge against that book.

Why!? :<?

Because:

  1. It's terrible
  2. I've always believed that the original volume was responsible for Streets of Gotham's cancellation
#22 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Dark Knight generally but this White Rabbit sh!t makes me want to puke.....

#23 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joelislegend said:

Only if Grant Morrison writes it.

Tomasi would do a good job too.

@NovaDawg said:

If I was God of the DC Universe:

1) Cancel Batwing, The Dark Knight, Legends of the Dark Knight (as a monthly), Suicide Squad, Catwoman, and Superboy

2) Replace as follows:

  • Batwing becomes major character of Batman Inc.
  • Tim Drake Red Robin Solo
  • A alt universe Damian Batman Solo
  • Legends of the Dark Knight as a bi-yearly graphic novel or annual.
  • NO CATWOMAN IN EFING JLA!!!!!!!!!!
  • Harley, Catwoman, and Ivy in Sirens title again.

I think most people would be cool with that and sales would go up.

Why cancel Suicide Squad and Superboy?

#24 Posted by The_Tree (6399 posts) - - Show Bio

@JakeN7 said:

@The_Tree said:

I think it'd be cool if he took up Carrie Kelly as his Robin.

Is everyone forgetting that Damian saves Terry McGinnis who he raises and trains to eventually become (all of you should know) Batman Beyond. Why wouldn't Terry be Damian's Robin? (these events happened in Batman #700 and Superman/Batman #75.)

Also, i don't think Frank Miller's dystopic futuristic Bat-verse would mesh well with Grant Morrison's dystopic futuristic Bat-verse.

No, he saves Terry and gives him back to the McGinnis family. Nothing about him becoming Robin is stated, so as far as we know, he stumbles upon Damian's mansion and becomes Batman Beyond (similarly to the cartoon). And I'm not saying to let Damian completely act out the events of The Dark Knight Returns (because that wouldn't make much sense), I'm just saying that him acting out just slightly similar events would be an interesting path for Damian's older, more brutal Batman.

#25 Posted by TheCannon (16056 posts) - - Show Bio

NO! DAMIAN IS ONE OF THE MOST HORRIBLE CHARACTERS EVER CREATED!!! WE NEED TO RECON HIM OUT OF EXISTENCE!!! GIVE TERRY MCGINNIS AN ONGOING!!! THAT COULD ACTUALLY BE GOOD!!!

#26 Posted by roboadmiral (513 posts) - - Show Bio

I vote no, but that's mostly because I don't want this future to become cannon. I don't hate Damian, but I don't like him either and I don't like anyone other than Bruce Wayne being Batman. There's something wrong with it.

There's a problem when you have a character dedicate his life to protecting something only for it to crumble into an apocalyptic situation following his death and be left in the hands of someone who has to sell their soul to have a prayer of being equal to the task.

#27 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

@roboadmiral said:

I vote no, but that's mostly because I don't want this future to become cannon. I don't hate Damian, but I don't like him either and I don't like anyone other than Bruce Wayne being Batman. There's something wrong with it.

<3 <3

#28 Posted by TDK_1997 (13666 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be a definite must read but the writer should be Grant Morrison.

#29 Posted by RustyRoy (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

That would be a definite must read but the writer should be Grant Morrison.

Agreed, I was very excited for the Damian Wayne mini but it has been mediocre so far.

#30 Posted by LordoftheNorth (1271 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy crap you can see the future

#31 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

#32 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (4969 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it's ending soon.

#33 Edited by batshrine (961 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol odd how this was predicted only slightly out of sequence since the Damian mini (which isn't really well written imo) will end around the same time as Batman: Dark Knight. Here's to having a brave and the bold/outsiders/batman inc comic to replace it!

#34 Posted by Jimmie_Hudson_ (284 posts) - - Show Bio

ha this kind of came true

#35 Edited by RustyRoy (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol odd how this was predicted only slightly out of sequence since the Damian mini (which isn't really well written imo) will end around the same time as Batman: Dark Knight. Here's to having a brave and the bold/outsiders/batman inc comic to replace it!

Yeah that would be awesome although I wouldn't mind a Batman/Flash or a Batman/Zatanna ongoing. Even though the story was aweful the Damian mini is selling quite well for a mini, I wouldn't mind if they make it an ongoing with a different creative team.

#36 Posted by ImmortalOne (2846 posts) - - Show Bio

Well in hindsight, Damian Wayne turned out looking like this:

#37 Posted by rejected_stone (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Damian is one of my favorite Robins and I'd love to see him stick around in a meaningful role. In my opinion he was never better than when he and Dick were a pair. I do like the idea of featuring him in a solo monthly, but i'm not crazy about the whole "sell your soul" thing, that just seems kind of over the top. I personally feel like Damian would be more than adequate as a Batman and towards the 18 issue of Batman and Robin he really started to see himself as a servant of Gotham not a ruler of it. That imho is what makes Batman so special.

#38 Posted by Transformers1024 (1166 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one that still HATES Damian??

#39 Posted by danhimself (21898 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one that still HATES Damian??

no you're not...he was never anything more than a pompous little brat who stole the Robin mantle from Tim

plus the current Damian as Batman mini just plain sucks

#40 Posted by Jayc1324 (5139 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: I agree, never liked him, and I have always sort of held a grudge since Dick picked him over Tim and made Tim quit being robin. Only for damian to die...

#41 Posted by batman922 (267 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324: @transformers1024: Thank you, everywhere I look people are always saying how much they love Damian but I always thought he was a little s#!t, I would rather see Tim as robin but thats just my 2 cents.

#42 Posted by SilverPool (813 posts) - - Show Bio

That'd be awesome.

#43 Posted by LordoftheNorth (1271 posts) - - Show Bio

@silverpool: Well they kind of already did this Dark Knight is canceled and Damian has a book that takes place in the future to bad it sucks

#44 Posted by SilverPool (813 posts) - - Show Bio

@lordofthenorth: Damn, I need to keep up with the news. I thought Damian Son of Batman was going to be a mini series though?

#45 Posted by batzilla (86 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Damien, my favorite Robin. I thought his arrogance was so funny. I was quite upset at his death, although its highly unlikely he'll stay dead though.

#46 Posted by LordoftheNorth (1271 posts) - - Show Bio

@silverpool: its is a mini series thats why i said kind of

#47 Posted by RustyRoy (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Damian's mini has been selling well, hopefully DC will bring him back.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.