Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Can Zack Snyder do The Dark Knight Returns justice?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1 frozen  Moderator

The Dark Knight Returns is my personal favorite Batman graphic novel. My favorite interpretation of Batman and as a whole, it is one of the greatest graphic novels ever written. It's not only thoughtful and intelligent, but it's commentary/themes are fascinating.

Now, Batman vs Superman will base it's Batman on the version from DKR. However - can Snyder do this interpretation justice?

Sure, the feats/action will be great. But can Snyder give justice to the interpretation of DKR Batman? I don't think Snyder's films are particularly thought-provoking, whether they're meant to be or not, The Dark Knight Returns certainly is.

Because Watchmen was dumbed down. And Superman certainly wasn't given justice per-se.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Based Batfleck will save the DCCU from Superman and Snyder

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I think he'll do great with the arc.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 frozen  Moderator

@saren said:

Only way possible...

Loading Video...

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

He better not beat Superman

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batfleck will save all.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By lamdaddy20

Zack Snyder's track record as a director is troubling to me...basically all of his movies are very mediocre (i'd give all of the ones i've seen an average of a 6/10) but he does love comics unlike Christopher Nolan so the Batman we'll see will more closely resemble the comics. I'm on the edge, I don't think he's going to do it amazingly but I don't think he's going to botch the entire movie. I hope i'm wrong, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Snyder is a great director. And if they don't stick pretty close to the comic, I don't think batman will be great as a character. I think he'll be mediocre but the action will be top notch.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably the only elements taken from TDKR will be the armored suit to fight Superman, and the fact that Bruce has been active a long time, is in his prime and very, very gristled. Story wise I wouldn't expect any similarities.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@jayc1324 said:

I don't think Snyder is a great director. And if they don't stick pretty close to the comic, I don't think batman will be great as a character. I think he'll be mediocre but the action will be top notch.

This.

Snyder didn't really start off the universe on a good note with Man of Steel. And I don't really like Miller's portrayal of Batman so I'm kind worried that they decided to go with this version of Batman in the first place. I think we all universally agree the fights will be good.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you watch this movie as a direct adaption of TDKR you will probably be disappointed, I think Snyder has already said it's not a direct adaptation of the story.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem with Snyder it his flaws are based on his style, you can cry everything all you want of Nolan not being like the comics(something that is more of a myth that a fact), but his style are his strong points, this is the reason why the mainstream loves TDK but really dislike Watchmen.

You see comic books and movies are incredible different mediums, movies are show dont tell, but in comic the movement and the interesting stuff happens in your mind, between the panels, sound, music and every other thing is made by your mind.

A great adaptation, is the one that keeps the spirit of the character, his universe, but at the same time redefine the paradigm(hate this word) of what this characters, story and universe are, why they are, who they are, it redefine them without changing who they are, that is why Nolan TDK gets way more praise that all Snyder films put together.

Snyder love to the source material and style are amazingly his biggest weakness, since like we saw, the medium isnt the same, things that work in one will never work in the other.

His action scenes even when great are nothing special(If you see straight to dvd and asian films you see he isnt remotly as good as people say he is) and are style over substance, many times the fight scenes dont even fit the tone and logic of the movie or fails to build them in the movie, lack of that feel of danger or several other problems.

His love for style and over use of it, also works against him, slow motion makes punches and kicks feel like nothing, takes away all the impact for the same you dont feel like if it hurt, thats why asian movies dont use it that much and only use it to show how amazing a move looked like, look at The Raid they used slow mo and you didnt notice it, that is good slow mo.

MPfly88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MPfly88

Yes I do. I will always defend Zack Snyder when it comes to Man of Steel. The biggest problem with that movie was it's script. Goyer is a good idea man, but a really bad writer. This is why I'm very optimistic about BvS because they have an actually talented screenwriter penning the film.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 frozen  Moderator

@mpfly88: What about Man of Steel being soulless, grey and clogged with CGI?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Petty children. Worry not about your Batgod, SUperman will go easy on him.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

@saint_wildcard said:Petty children. Worry not about your Batgod, SUperman will go easy on him.

Lol, this guy.

Don't worry, Wonder Woman will clean Superman's dirty S off the floor once Batman is done with him.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 frozen  Moderator

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself played by Ben Affleck.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW will stomp them both and Frank Miller will cry whiney b*tch tears.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@saren said:

No Caption Provided

He better not beat Superman

He won't. It will be a draw, or Superman takes the majority but ends up getting a pep talk.

The problem with Snyder it his flaws are based on his style, you can cry everything all you want of Nolan not being like the comics(something that is more of a myth that a fact), but his style are his strong points, this is the reason why the mainstream loves TDK but really dislike Watchmen.

You see comic books and movies are incredible different mediums, movies are show dont tell, but in comic the movement and the interesting stuff happens in your mind, between the panels, sound, music and every other thing is made by your mind.

A great adaptation, is the one that keeps the spirit of the character, his universe, but at the same time redefine the paradigm(hate this word) of what this characters, story and universe are, why they are, who they are, it redefine them without changing who they are, that is why Nolan TDK gets way more praise that all Snyder films put together.

Snyder love to the source material and style are amazingly his biggest weakness, since like we saw, the medium isnt the same, things that work in one will never work in the other.

His action scenes even when great are nothing special(If you see straight to dvd and asian films you see he isnt remotly as good as people say he is) and are style over substance, many times the fight scenes dont even fit the tone and logic of the movie or fails to build them in the movie, lack of that feel of danger or sveral problems.

His love for style and over use of it, also works against him, slow motion makes punches and kicks feel like nothing, takes away all the impact for the same you dont feel like if it hurt, thats why asian movies dont use it that much and only use it to show how amazing a move looked like, look at The Raid they used slow mo and you didnt notice it, that is good slow mo.

Agree.

@frozen said:

@mpfly88: What about Man of Steel being soulless, grey and clogged with CGI?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: Before some hater gets here and say something i didnt say, i dont hate Snyder, but i think his style would work better in other type of movies, also i think they should make him team up with other directors, not make Nolan produce him, but work with other people so he gets better in his weak points.

If directors team up, they would learn from each other and find way to get better, or adapt things from the other director to their own style and work.

Movie school doesnt work as much as working in movies and shorts, i have learn this the hard way, the best way is to work with a bunch of people, see their style and try to get what it works to you from this people.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

The rumors so far are confirming my thoughts on the matter. MoS was the ultimate set, weird casting choices aside, the story rumors are excatly what I want them to be. Especially since they are stating what I've always though THAT THIS IS A SUPERMAN FILM FIRST! (seriously @frozen, let's just make a bet, I could use the money) And that what happened in MoS will be integral to Superman's growth and setting up the DCCU.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@saint_wildcard said:

The rumors so far are confirming my thoughts on the matter. MoS was the ultimate set, weird casting choices aside, the story rumors are excatly what I want them to be. Especially since they are stating what I've always though THAT THIS IS A SUPERMAN FILM FIRST! (seriously @frozen, let's just make a bet, I could use the money) And that what happened in MoS will be integral to Superman's growth and setting up the DCCU.

It'd be satisfying if I used that winning money to buy IMAX tickets to Batman vs Superman, to watch Batman pummel Superman into submission. LOL!

Now these rumors of Superman being more 'heroic' sound reasonable - however some of the dialogue with those rumors sound fake. And let's not forget that rumor of Batfleck being in his mid 50's was wrong (he's actually mid-40's).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.