Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Can Someone Please Explain to me...

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By herrweis

I was under the impression that the heros have been operating for 5/6 years or so.How does Batman not only have 4 Robins under his belt in this time,how did Damian come about being a 9/10 yr old if Batman ONLY met Ra's and Talia within these 5/6 years.Is he still a clone or whatever.I'm so cunfused.I mean if they want us to take this 5 year thing seriously then I would think they would tighten up the timeline.So can anyone help me with this?

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Imagine_Man15

That's one of this things that DC is just hoping we don't think about, because they didn't bother to explain.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

Well most DC heroes state that they've been doinng what they do for 12 years, so I don't know.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By batshrine

I'm under the impression that what we are seeing is about 8 years in Batman's career, and to account for Damian, he had to have met Talia while training abroad prebatman. Otherwise, DC has got it wrong, but they usually have their timing wrong anyways lol.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By htb106

don't worry, everyone's confused. just try to ignore it while reading.

I know that wasn't a very good peice of advice but I'm not sure either.

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
    GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By GrandSymbiote94

Probably left it at that because they couldn't think of new bios for all the heroes. I say give it time and they'll start putting more thought and effort into it, and figure it out as they go along.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Loki9876

I guess some heroes started 5 years ago like flash, tc. and started earlier like Green Lantern and Batman.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By joshmightbe

Don't worry there'll be another Crisis in 6 months or so to change it up for you

Avatar image for fullmetalchobit
    FullmetalChobit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By FullmetalChobit

@joshmightbe said:

Don't worry there'll be another Crisis in 6 months or so to change it up for you

LOL

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#10  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

This is why I simply ignore the whole "Five Years" thing, it was a bad idea to try to stick everything into those few years when there has obviously been too many things that they could have possibly happened in such a short period of time.

When it comes to the "Five Years" thing started in Justice League, I personally apply those five years to only the Justice League, not the entire DC Universe. I know a lot will argue with me about it, but really, when you just take those five years out of the equation things, in my opinion, seem a lot easier to digest.

Izaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Izaiah
    @War Killer said:
    When it comes to the "Five Years" thing started in Justice League, I personally apply those five years to only the Justice League, not the entire DC Universe. I know a lot will argue with me about it, but really, when you just take those five years out of the equation things, in my opinion, seem a lot easier to digest.
    I was under the impression that that's what DC actually meant with the whole 'Five Years' thing.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I was under the impression that only JL and Superman have been around for 5 years. In JL 1, Green Lantern knows who Batman is because he's already become an urban legend. I'm sure, at that point, he already has quite a few years under his belt.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#13  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Izaiah said:
    @War Killer said:
    I was under the impression that that's what DC actually meant with the whole 'Five Years' thing.
    From how I've seen everyone else perceive it, they're applying those Five Years to ALL the superheroes in the DC Universe, from Batman, to Superman, to Green Lantern, Flash, and Wonder Woman. Even in certain comics, they're trying to say that all of their current history mainly happened within those five years set in the first issue of Justice League, with a few exceptions like Superman who is said to have started his superhero career about a year or so before JL #1 along with Batman starting his war on crime around the same time.

But that's just crazy to try to fit all of those characters and their history into such a short amount of time. To say that Batman had three to four Robin's in just those five years, it's just insane to try and make us fans believe something like that, not to mention I feel it hurts the characters because apparently if it didn't happen within those five years it now doesn't count.

But also the reason I simply ignore the five years, aside from applying to how long the Justice League has been around, is that in the first story arc of the new JL series, Green Lantern and Flash comment about teaming up before, which means they have been fighting crime before those five years. It also is to be believed that Batman has been active for years before the formation of the Justice League but has simply been thought of as a simply myth, hence why Green Lantern was surprised when he learned Batman was real in JL #1.

I just don't get why DC would try to force everything into short a short period of time when they could have simply said these characters have been active for years, not giving an exact amount of years though so that writers wouldn't feel like they have to somehow fit everything with those five years.
    BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#14  Edited By BatWatch

I've been on this site since the DCNU was gearing up, and I remember this being specifically discussed. Superman started five years ago, but Batman has been around for longer working in "secret."

Personally, I like the old DC timeline which I took as follows:

Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman have been heroing since their early twenties. Batman operated alone years one and two. Grayson would have been with Batman from around year three to year eight. Then Jason came on board for about half a year only to be killed shortly after receiving the mantle or Robin. Then Tim came along from year nine to year twelve. Then Damian took the mantle for the past year.

This would put Batman in his mid thirties, Dick in his mid twenties, Tim at age seventeen, and Damian at age ten.

Way better than the DCNU timeline in my view. However, In the Return of Bruce Wayne, Tim claims that he has been Robin longer than Dick which makes no sense to me.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By joshmightbe

Well Marvel tries to claim that everything that's happened since The Fantastic 4 got their powers has happened in 13 years which means New York is officially the worst place to live in all of comicdom

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Well that's the main problem with the New 52, continuity is all messed up...but I don't care that much, the good/great stories are keeping me blissfully ignorant right now.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ThanosIsMad

It's been stated many times that Batman has been operating a lot longer than 5 years, he's just been a known figure for five years. His timeline should be virtually unchanged, give or take two or three years, ample enough time to know Ra's, Talia, and for Damian to secretly be born. Them trying to shove all of the sidekicks in the past five years is stupid though; I just ignore that completely.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KnightRise

@The Stegman: me agree, Batman is everywhere at all times and i pretend the lamer stories dont happen

@ThanosIsMad: it very well possible that Bruce met Ra's and Talia during his training 10 years ago, ala Batman Begins

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Just forget continuity, and read the stories. Especially DC. Marvel continuity is less confusing. Basically, you have heroes that have been around for 70 years, and still want to present them as 30 year olds. Continuity is going to get messed up. I mean, it doesn't bother me that Bart Simpson has been ten years old for 25 years now, so continuity is something I don't think about.

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By herrweis

what about jason tod

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By herrweis

ok so after reading all the replies its clear that dc really dropped the ball on this ..lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.