Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23505 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Can open....worms everywhere.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By UltimateSMfan

So i just checked out the preview of batman and robin #0 highlighting the origin of damien....here it is.

Anywway it shows us that damien is born in an artificial womb or watever and its shown he's brought out of it after nine months indicating that he started his life normally....now comes the screwed up part,in the present day,Damien is 10.....in Detective comics #0 Bruce completes his training and returns to gotham seven yrs ago indicating he's been batman for roughly seven yrs..............How much do DC editors make? sorry but im guessin they're underpaid if they don't do their job well,doesnt it fall to them to keep everything consistent...the New 52 was a fresh start,to do things rite,maybe not perfect,but better!!

what is Happening??!! i mean i don't think its that hard to write good stories without sacrificing some form of continuity,plus its comics,doesnt have to be realistic,make up some bull, Damien's growth could have been excelerated,look at superboy!! ok im done here,gonna keep reading but this is gonna be a constant nail poking at me whenever i read the batman family from now on.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

Gotta dig into this, but it sounds to me like i'm about to drop DC titles in general. The relaunch just isn't working for me anymore.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Eternal19

@NlGHTCRAWLER: your even going to drop batman. Thats one of DC's best titles right now.

YMCMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By YMCMB

Honestly the Batman timeline makes no sense at all right now so it's best to just go with whatever you want it to be, and ignore anything written regarding the timeline and continuity post-flashpoint

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KnightRise

@YMCMB said:

so it's best to just go with whatever you want it to be, and ignore anything written regarding the timeline and continuity post-flashpoint

Thats the problem with different writers drafting the origins for the same character. DC editors need to tighten up and police direct references to the timeline more, at least until they get their heads on straight.

@UltimateSMfan: You didn't mention how in Batman, inc #2, Talia is shown meeting Bruce before the birth of Damian (ten+ years ago), and yet Bruce is in costume. I blame Morrison for that, he doesn't belive in the word "noncanon".

@NlGHTCRAWLER: There are still plenty of great stories, the timeline is just wacked. Keep riding along; at least they're attempting to knock the kinks out.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By r3d_rob1n

Who cares about continuity if the stories are entertaining? So some things don't make sense in regards to age, get over it. Batman has been around since 1939 and accumulating stories ever since. It is impossible to fit them all into any timeline. As long as you understand the general order of events, then shrug off their *suggested* timeline. Read the stories and enjoy them. The current Batman run with Snyder has been great, and the first arc on Batman and Robin was good as well. I for one am happy that the timeline makes no sense in regards to Batman, as it means that the stories over the years have been powerful enough to ensure they remain in the New 52. Take heart in the fact that they still happened and don't obsess about the exact dates they fell on. For other characters, like Superman, certain events are now impossible. At least with Bats his main events stay true and relevant to the character's current portrayal.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BatWatch

Are we sure Damian was still conceived by Batman rather than just Bruce Wayne?

I would not be surprised if DC has just screwed things up again. It's basically impossible to fit any significant part of Batman history into seven years. They need to just bit the bullet and say, "Batman is in his mid-thirties," in my opinion.

@r3d_rob1n:

I hate it when continuity gets screwed up. One of the things I like most about comics is the long and engrossing character histories. Everything has weight because it is built on a foundation.

Granted, as long as DC produces good stories, I'm on board, but I think being slipshod in the editing room is just bad practice.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By r3d_rob1n

@PsychoKnights: The point I was getting at though is that these "long and engrossing character histories" still exist in the Batman mythos. It is only the span of years that they happened that has changed. Unlike Superman, where many of his stories can no longer be plausible (New Krypton) since supporting characters have been so altered.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BatWatch

@r3d_rob1n said:

@PsychoKnights: The point I was getting at though is that these "long and engrossing character histories" still exist in the Batman mythos. It is only the span of years that they happened that has changed. Unlike Superman, where many of his stories can no longer be plausible (New Krypton) since supporting characters have been so altered.

I get what you mean, but actually, a lot of Batman gets scrapped via the limited time frame. At least a lot of stories become severely implausible. Already, the amount of time for Batman to spend with the different Robins is hardly enough to even form a fatherly bond...and that is not counting all his other proteges.

Still, I get your point. Superman's continuity did get trashed worse than Bruce's.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By r3d_rob1n

@PsychoKnights: The pressurized environment in which their relationships are formed would help to establish that fatherly bond relatively quickly though. The same effect is seen with with hostages, where afterwards they become closer with the other hostages despite the short time spent with them. I myself have experienced a similar relationship when I pledged a fraternity. Despite only knowing people for a few short months, the pressure and grueling tasks allow a bond to be formed much quicker than would otherwise be possible. I'm sure saving the world and fighting criminals would multiply this effect tenfold.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By InnerVenom123

Uh... 'scuse me....

Damian said in Batman and Robin (Morrison's) that he didn't meet his mom until he was 8 or so.... and uh, he looks a bit younger than that.

About five, six-ish.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12  Edited By RedOwl_1

I have my own mind cannon.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By theTimeStreamer

hes batman. he doesnt need continuity. but seriously batman got royally screwed in the new52. stories are good but they make no sense outside of each other. and thats their selling shtick. new continuity easy to understand. yeah right.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BatWatch

@r3d_rob1n said:

@PsychoKnights: The pressurized environment in which their relationships are formed would help to establish that fatherly bond relatively quickly though. The same effect is seen with with hostages, where afterwards they become closer with the other hostages despite the short time spent with them. I myself have experienced a similar relationship when I pledged a fraternity. Despite only knowing people for a few short months, the pressure and grueling tasks allow a bond to be formed much quicker than would otherwise be possible. I'm sure saving the world and fighting criminals would multiply this effect tenfold.

Well, I can't speak to the fraternity thing. Never had any interest in them myself, but...I don't know. No doubt you could form close relationships in a brother's in arms sort of way in five years, but I can't see them as father/son relationships. I've heard that Jason was supposed to be with Bruce for two years (I do not know if that is right. Just some random user said that) which is actually way more than he had in the old timeline, but that makes sense because his relationship has always been more distant than with Dick and Tim. Anyway, if Jason got two years, that just leaves one and a half for Dick and Tim. That would mean Tim would barely have time to be trained before he was kicked to the curb by Dick, and Dick set out on his own at around age sixteen. It just doesn't make much sense.

It really goes worse for Dick. In the old continuity, it was Batman and Robin (Dick) for a long time. They formed an extremely close bond, and Dick views Bruce as a father figure, but if some guy takes you in and then you leave him a year and a half later, it does not sound to me like you have a lot of unconditional respect for him.

Ah well. Personally, I would prefer if they just made Bruce a little older. You can still be a strong fighter up until about age forty, and Bruce has access to the best medical technology and care. When it came time for Bruce to start getting even older, they could spend a few years writing stories about Batman getting old before dunking him in a Lazarus Pit or something.

Oh well. Just a fantasy, but that is what I would have preferred.

Rick_Grayson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rick_Grayson

Nothing a good old alternate universe won't fix!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.