Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23619 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Can I just jump into the new Batman Inc.?

scottyhanstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By scottyhanstein

Hey, I've recently jumped back into comics in the summer of 2010 after over a decade of being away. I'm always hearing how great Batman Inc. was and I never checked it out. I was wondering if anyone here who has read the previous series would think it essential for me to read that before jumping into the new Batman Inc. or do you think it will be set up in a way, especially with the new 52, that welcomes new readers?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Saren

Not really. It continues from Batman Incorporated: Leviathan Strikes! which in turn continues from the pre-Flashpoint Batman Incorporated ongoing. You might also have to read Batman & Son and the pre-FP Batman & Robin run to really make sense of it all.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By TDK_1997

You must read Batman Inc. before reading the new volume and also Batman and Robin(only Morrison's run).

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By entropy_aegis

@scottyhanstein said:

Hey, I've recently jumped back into comics in the summer of 2010 after over a decade of being away. I'm always hearing how great Batman Inc. was and I never checked it out. I was wondering if anyone here who has read the previous series would think it essential for me to read that before jumping into the new Batman Inc. or do you think it will be set up in a way, especially with the new 52, that welcomes new readers?

You're gonna have to read Morrisons entire Bat saga to truly enjoy it.

scottyhanstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By scottyhanstein

Will definitely look into back issues/collections before jumping in. Thanks for the info!

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By jsphsmth

@scottyhanstein: I wouldn't. Morrison is not the star he once was. His work on Batman over the past several years has been a painful labor to read. If you read Batman Inc, you might leave comics again and NEVER come back.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Saren

"That guy who hates Morrison" has got to be one tired schtick at this point.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By batshrine

@scottyhanstein: Well in all fairness the DCnU is supposed to be ok for anyone to start on. And since none of us has read DCnU's Batman Inc. I say go for it. Its not a strange premise, Batman creates an international team to fight crime all over the world. So lets not deem it a bad or in-understandable read without it coming out.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By Deranged Midget

Snyder has done better work with Batman than Morrison ever has, but to each his own.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kidchipotle

I hate Batman, Inc. Just throwing that out there.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jsphsmth

@ArturoCalaKayVee: If DC were to take the concept away from Morrison and give it to Higgins, then I would be aboard. Higgins can write the Bat-family well, just look at Gates of Gotham.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kidchipotle

@jsphsmth said:

@ArturoCalaKayVee: If DC were to take the concept away from Morrison and give it to Higgins, then I would be aboard. Higgins can write the Bat-family well, just look at Gates of Gotham.

Yeah but DC worships the water that Morrison pee's on so that won't happen. I like Morrison, I just don't like Batman, Inc. I like the idea of Batman being solely Batman in Gotham and not Batman of the world.

AmishAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By AmishAvenger

I am slightly confused which Batman are you planning are reading. I have not read Batman Inc and currently i am reading Batman and Robin, Batman and Dark Knight and I am not lost at all. So i say jump on in.

scottyhanstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By scottyhanstein

I'm not lost, not at all. I read Batman, and Batman & Robin but that really has nothing to do with what I was asking. I was asking if I had to read the previous run of Batman, Inc. (before the relaunch in September 2011) before reading the new run of Batman, Inc. This post really just concerns Batman, Inc. both old and new, no other Bat books are relevant. After looking into it I don't think I'm going to bother with Inc. at all, either run. Snyder's my boy.

AmishAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By AmishAvenger

I am sorry i did not realize there was a Batman INC after the relaunch in Sept 2011, my bad.

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By TheOptimist

@scottyhanstein: Snyder is quite awesome. I would agree that full appreciation of the Batman Inc. run would require the previous stuff... honestly, I think it'll be just as readable or approachable whether you've had prior exposure to it or not, particularly the Batman, Inc. pieces of it all... I normally refrain from telling people not to buy books... but I think this might be the rare case where I'd hesitate to try to back you out of your decision... I love Grant, (well, it's complicated, at the very least) I love Batman Inc, I think it'll be awesome... but you're probably making the right call holding off on it. After all, this is basically the final chapter, not the optimal place to start launching people.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.