Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Can Batwoman replace Batman ?

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Let imagine that Batman fail, Bane(someone) beat him...

Gotham is unprotected... there is Robin, maybe Batgirl... but let go with someone older !

Batwoman... can she continue where Batman stop ? Is she able to replace the Batman, and fight with his enemies ?

Pre new52, new 52... any version of Kate Kane ?

Avatar image for theamazingbatman760
    TheAmazingBatman760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no I'd rather have Dick grayson as batman.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will probably be either Jason/Richard.

iDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batwoman
    Batwoman

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Has she done anything to suggest she can handle Batman's job (not just being a vigilante but Batman's job)?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She'd need help from the rest of the bat family. Guys like joker and clay face and killer croc would wreck her. Or what if something like zero year happened again where riddler took over? She couldn't handle that like batman did.

She can control Gotham for a short period of time though. Which she's done before.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What @jayc1324 said

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Loading Video...

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BatGrayson to the rescue. :)

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

nope, there will always be a Batman, Dick or Jason will take up the mantle.

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
    obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

She's fifth in line.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Gotham was actually left under Batwoman's protection just recently in Robin Rises, when all the Bat-Family went away. She was also given Alfred to communicate with.

A lot of people seem to lowball Kate simply out of ignorance, and I think it's funny that everyone is voting for Grayson, when that's not what the OP is asking. Simply put the op is asking whether or not Batwoman is capable of handling Gotham in Batman's and the rest of the family's absence. The answer is yes. While I wouldn't say she is just as effective as Bats, she fully capable of handling most of the crazies. What people don't seem to know that Batwoman doesn't deal with your average mugger or even psychotic madmen. In her stories she is written as fighting Werewolves, Vampires, Shapeshifters, High Tech corporations, criminal fanatic cults, phantoms, mutated monsters etc... She even beat classic Batman rogues Bane and a mutated King Croc. Seriously the last time Batman fought a cult of crazed fanatics he was brutally tortured, was almost driven insane and was almost killed. Kate on the other hand faces this sort of thing on a nightly bases. I'm not suggesting that she's better than Batman, but it would be silly to think that she's out of her depth. Also, she has quite the advanced tech and some of them rival Batman's, and she also has help in the form of her father, who is a general who provides intel, information, hacking and field tactics, and there's of course her lover Maggie, a detective who is more than capable of holding her own on the field.

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Valdemocnij

@anjales:

Thanks thats answer which i want :)

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales Didn't he also ask for Batwing's help and not just Kate's? And I don't know man but even Damian can beat the hell out Croc, Batman made Bane crap on his pants in the same series and he pretty much destroyed that cult which ruled Gotham for hundreds of years in a few weeks. Not lowballing Kate but not sure she can handle threats like Joker or Riddler. Gotham as a city is lot more dangerous than vampires and werewolves. Also, didn't she get equipments from her organization to beat those guys?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I think she's capable enough. I imagine Batman would want someone from the Bat-Family to take over as main protector though.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By DrF8

Batwoman is not good enough. Im not trying to lowball her or something...but it's the truth.

It's Dick Grayson who would become Batman. He already did...

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, that would be the end of Gotham.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bat_Girl_CC

@anjales said:

Gotham was actually left under Batwoman's protection just recently in Robin Rises, when all the Bat-Family went away. She was also given Alfred to communicate with.

A lot of people seem to lowball Kate simply out of ignorance, and I think it's funny that everyone is voting for Grayson, when that's not what the OP is asking. Simply put the op is asking whether or not Batwoman is capable of handling Gotham in Batman's and the rest of the family's absence. The answer is yes. While I wouldn't say she is just as effective as Bats, she fully capable of handling most of the crazies. What people don't seem to know that Batwoman doesn't deal with your average mugger or even psychotic madmen. In her stories she is written as fighting Werewolves, Vampires, Shapeshifters, High Tech corporations, criminal fanatic cults, phantoms, mutated monsters etc... She even beat classic Batman rogues Bane and a mutated King Croc. Seriously the last time Batman fought a cult of crazed fanatics he was brutally tortured, was almost driven insane and was almost killed. Kate on the other hand faces this sort of thing on a nightly bases. I'm not suggesting that she's better than Batman, but it would be silly to think that she's out of her depth. Also, she has quite the advanced tech and some of them rival Batman's, and she also has help in the form of her father, who is a general who provides intel, information, hacking and field tactics, and there's of course her lover Maggie, a detective who is more than capable of holding her own on the field.

I can see what your point is, and i agree, though i remember when Wonder Woman and Batwoman teamed up for like one issue, and in the end Batwoman admitted in her thoughts that she was way out of her depth, and that if she survived, she should go back to beat up street mooks.

No Caption Provided

While Batman on the JLA deals with characters well above street-level pay-grade.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Anjales_II

@rustyroy said:

@anjales Didn't he also ask for Batwing's help and not just Kate's? And I don't know man but even Damian can beat the hell out Croc, Batman made Bane crap on his pants in the same series and he pretty much destroyed that cult which ruled Gotham for hundreds of years in a few weeks. Not lowballing Kate but not sure she can handle threats like Joker or Riddler. Gotham as a city is lot more dangerous than vampires and werewolves. Also, didn't she get equipments from her organization to beat those guys?

At the time I wrote this it was coming off the recent issue of B&R, and in that, The Robins were shown talking to Batwoman not Batwing (at least that's how I remember it) but in the recent issue of Robin Rises Alpha, Alfred mentioned that Batwing and Batwoman were doing well. And while Gotham is known as Batman's city, if you really thinking about it, Batman doesn't protect it all on his own. You have Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman, Batwing, Catwoman (pre-BE), Bluebird, and in Pre-New 52 you had Black Bat, Spoiler, Onyx, Huntress and the rest of the Birds of Prey, plus occasional visits from Red Hood, Nightwing (pre-Grayson) and Red Robin, and that's not even counting Corrigan and his "Gotham by Midnight" task force + the GCPD. In the case of Robin Rises, Batwing and Batwoman were handling all of Gotham on their own, and according to Alfred, they did a very good job.

While Croc has been portrayed as a jobber, fact is, she beat a well known Batman rogue, and to be fair, this was even a mutated and more powerful version of Croc (in that story there was some surreal mumbo jumbo that made Croc more reptilian, he was known as King Croc or something and had some fictional supernatural stuff backing him up). And are we really lowballing Bane just because of one low-end feat? Come on.. Bane being a formidable Batman villain is well documented, even post-Knightfall. Beating him is an impressive feat. A whole one-shot issue was dedicated to a fight between the two (recently in FE: Aftermath Batman vs Bane).

The cult I was speaking of was the one from Batman The Cult, the one led by Blackfire where Batman is horribly tortured, driven insane and almost killed. But the Court of Owls is another good example, Yes he beat them (I wouldn't say "destroyed" them since they are still around), but it was with extreme difficulty, and in "just a few weeks" doesn't make it more impressive. If it does, then Batwoman has outright destroyed cults in much less than that (and those guys pack some surreal elements, things that Bats rarely deals with).

Riddler and Joker are top tier Batman villains. Since we're using low end feats, Catwoman has beaten and humiliated Riddle many times. Even the Falcones made him crap his pants. Also, if Batman isn't around, Joker just wouldn't care to threaten Gotham, since he usually does this to attract Batman. We've seen Joker adopt different identities when Batman is assumed dead, as seen in Going Sane and during Grayson's tenure as Batman. And let's not pretend that Batman cakewalks all over these guys. And the ones he does, I honestly believe that Kate is capable of taking down Scarecrow, Clayface, Man-Bat, Zsazz (she did), Freeze, Ivy, Hatter, and Two-Face.

And finally, yes, she obtained some of her gear from the DEO, which gave her state of the art tech that rivals Batman's, and they became part of her standard gear which she continued to use during most of her series. And besides she was already doing fine against those guys before she obtained this tech. She was facing this type of villains way before the DEO.

@bat_girl_cc:

Yes she said that, but even after saying that, what did she proceed to do? Handle it like a boss, and despite the fact the she considered this to be out of her depth, she continues to deal with similar stuff. Fighting regular mooks is easy for her at this point. Also, she may have said that, out of humility, self-doubt or she was written that way because here she's the underdog and she's not used to team-up with Wonder Woman like Batman is. So yes it's understandable that she is a little awe-struck.

My argument here isn't that she's better, or even as good as Batman (I mean seriously, who is?). But, again she is capable of handling Gotham's date-to-day stuff. I just don't the way people are dismissing her, when she is actually stronger than some of the members of the main Bat-Family. Seriously, she once completely destroyed Batgirl (Babs) in combat, and both Batmen (Bruce and Grayson) have been impressed by her fighting ability. She has the skills, the resources, the attitude, the help (her father, Maggie Sawyer, and maybe even Alfred) and the willpower to do it.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd rather have Grayson or Jason Todd take up the mantle of Batman but I really wouldn't mind if she took over for a while.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

She'd need help from the rest of the bat family. Guys like joker and clay face and killer croc would wreck her. Or what if something like zero year happened again where riddler took over? She couldn't handle that like batman did.

She can control Gotham for a short period of time though. Which she's done before.

What is Batwoman's specialty? Does she have any villains specific to her? I heard she handles supernatural things in Gotham, sorry I didnt read many comics with Batwoman, so I'd like to know these things.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales: Gotham has around 12 million people, it's normal to have that many vigilantes.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

She has faced enemies of Batman like Bane and Killer Croc so she could last for a while.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Anjales_II

@anjales: Gotham has around 12 million people, it's normal to have that many vigilantes.

You came a little late to the conversation. This was in response to the claim that Batwoman didn't watch over Gotham by herself because Batwing was out there in the Bat Family's absence. I was saying that Batman himself doesn't watch over Gotham all by himself.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bwahaha!

No, my boy Dick Grayson

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales said:

@rustyroy said:

At the time I wrote this it was coming off the recent issue of B&R, and in that, The Robins were shown talking to Batwoman not Batwing (at least that's how I remember it) but in the recent issue of Robin Rises Alpha, Alfred mentioned that Batwing and Batwoman were doing well. And while Gotham is known as Batman's city, if you really thinking about it, Batman doesn't protect it all on his own. You have Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman, Batwing, Catwoman (pre-BE), Bluebird, and in Pre-New 52 you had Black Bat, Spoiler, Onyx, Huntress and the rest of the Birds of Prey, plus occasional visits from Red Hood, Nightwing (pre-Grayson) and Red Robin, and that's not even counting Corrigan and his "Gotham by Midnight" task force + the GCPD. In the case of Robin Rises, Batwing and Batwoman were handling all of Gotham on their own, and according to Alfred, they did a very good job.

While Croc has been portrayed as a jobber, fact is, she beat a well known Batman rogue, and to be fair, this was even a mutated and more powerful version of Croc (in that story there was some surreal mumbo jumbo that made Croc more reptilian, he was known as King Croc or something and had some fictional supernatural stuff backing him up). And are we really lowballing Bane just because of one low-end feat? Come on.. Bane being a formidable Batman villain is well documented, even post-Knightfall. Beating him is an impressive feat. A whole one-shot issue was dedicated to a fight between the two (recently in FE: Aftermath Batman vs Bane).

The cult I was speaking of was the one from Batman The Cult, the one led by Blackfire where Batman is horribly tortured, driven insane and almost killed. But the Court of Owls is another good example, Yes he beat them (I wouldn't say "destroyed" them since they are still around), but it was with extreme difficulty, and in "just a few weeks" doesn't make it more impressive. If it does, then Batwoman has outright destroyed cults in much less than that (and those guys pack some surreal elements, things that Bats rarely deals with).

Riddler and Joker are top tier Batman villains. Since we're using low end feats, Catwoman has beaten and humiliated Riddle many times. Even the Falcones made him crap his pants. Also, if Batman isn't around, Joker just wouldn't care to threaten Gotham, since he usually does this to attract Batman. We've seen Joker adopt different identities when Batman is assumed dead, as seen in Going Sane and during Grayson's tenure as Batman. And let's not pretend that Batman cakewalks all over these guys. And the ones he does, I honestly believe that Kate is capable of taking down Scarecrow, Clayface, Man-Bat, Zsazz (she did), Freeze, Ivy, Hatter, and Two-Face.

And finally, yes, she obtained some of her gear from the DEO, which gave her state of the art tech that rivals Batman's, and they became part of her standard gear which she continued to use during most of her series. And besides she was already doing fine against those guys before she obtained this tech. She was facing this type of villains way before the DEO.

First of all Batman rarely works with his allies, they are mostly occupied with their own things most of the time, also it took a lot of time to build relationship these allies and most of them are new, Batman has managed Gotham on his own for a long time and he still does. Secondly nothing major happened during Batman's leave from Gotham so it's not a big deal, even Robin watches over Gotham when Batman is with the JL. I'm not lowballing Bane, I'm just pointing out that the writer lowballed Bane, he was taken out quite easily by both Batwoman and Batman under the same writer, a regular Bane would wreck Batwoman.

On Joker I agree but now you are lowballing Batman and Riddler big time, you are using feats from 25 years ago when both were much less powerful and Riddler was basically wuss in Loeb's run, both of them have evolved beyond that, Riddler took over Gotham with little problem, and at that time Batman didn't have costume allies, I don't see Batwoman saving Gotham from that, specially when I don't know if she'll get any help from Fox and Gordon.

But yeah she can possibly replace Batman just like many other characters can, I still doubt she(or anyone else) will be as effective as Bruce though.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She has faced enemies of Batman like Bane and Killer Croc so she could last for a while.

Batman took down both of them with no equipment. Batwoman needed some high tech to win. I heard she used alien tech on Croc.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

But yeah she can possibly replace Batman just like many other characters can, I still doubt she(or anyone else) will be as effective as Bruce though.

That's simply the point I'm trying to make.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales said:

@rustyroy said:

@bat_girl_cc:

Yes she said that, but even after saying that, what did she proceed to do? Handle it like a boss, and despite the fact the she considered this to be out of her depth, she continues to deal with similar stuff. Fighting regular mooks is easy for her at this point. Also, she may have said that, out of humility, self-doubt or she was written that way because here she's the underdog and she's not used to team-up with Wonder Woman like Batman is. So yes it's understandable that she is a little awe-struck.

My argument here isn't that she's better, or even as good as Batman (I mean seriously, who is?). But, again she is capable of handling Gotham's date-to-day stuff. I just don't the way people are dismissing her, when she is actually stronger than some of the members of the main Bat-Family. Seriously, she once completely destroyed Batgirl (Babs) in combat, and both Batmen (Bruce and Grayson) have been impressed by her fighting ability. She has the skills, the resources, the attitude, the help (her father, Maggie Sawyer, and maybe even Alfred) and the willpower to do it.

Fair Enough.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@bigcimmerian: I don't really know much about Batwoman but could she not just get a supply of tech as she has done before? It would run out eventually but not on the first couple of weeks of the job, surely.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.