Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Can Batman vs superman become highest grossing?

BatmanisMortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

hat are your opinions, do you think that Batman VS Superman could beat as highest grossing comic book movie? Can it beat avengers, titanic or avatar?

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I highly doubt it, especially after the reports of Cap 3 being released on the same day was BvS, ticket sales will be siphoned (personally I think this is the main reason why Cap 3 is coming out on that date) . I can see it getting over a billion though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Doesn't have enough hype, has no name actors, and people will be split between that and cap 3. If it comes out in 3d it might get to a billion though. And if iron man 3 wasn't in 3d it wouldn't be number 3 all time in my opinion but I could be wrong

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It will touch a billion, since Batman is in it.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By novi_homines

No. Not with Cap 3 coming out so close. That's why they should not have put it on that release date. I think if it didn't have that caliber of competition so close, it definitely could.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Yes. easily. Love Cap, but Cap isn't Batman or Superman...and especially not both.

The only franchise not scared of those 2 in the same movie is Star Wars.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: I think it BvS could out gross even Star Wars VII if both were released in same weekend.

BatmanisMortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BatmanisMortal

I think that as the date draws nearer Cap 3 is gonna change dates, they know that BvS is gonna get more than Cap 3. and that they will only be losing money if they stay with the date. Batman Vs Superman has been dreamed of by norms and fanboys alike. it will pass 1.2 bill, guaranteed. i think if they have the same amount of advertisement as they did in TDKR (metro,etc) they could make it in the top 5. i personally hope that it could beat avengers. I don't think that BvS will be in 3D, it will be more dark than cap 3 and avengers ultron.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think not.. maybe it will circle around in 800 million..

I3IO_HAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I predict about just over $1 billion in box office, similar to The Dark Knight box office

phantom1527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If the Dark Knight Rises and the Dark Knight both crossed a billion then this will cross a billion. There are multiple generations who would want to see the two most iconic superheroes share the silver screen.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it will be the highest grossing movie ever but it has the potential to outgross The Avengers.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rogueshadow  Moderator

It could be, it will be in the top 5. You can't really top BM V SM, this is in some ways the biggest movie of all time - I'm not embellishing. Only franchise big enough to really harm it is Star Wars.

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
    Moonlighterstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Moonlighterstone

Unless there's a lot more going on then just Superman VS Batman, I doubt it.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deaditegonzo

hat are your opinions, do you think that Batman VS Superman could beat as highest grossing comic book movie? Can it beat avengers, titanic or avatar?

Can it? Sure. Will it? Doubtful. I think it will certainly break a billion, and maybe eclipse most of Marvel's films, but I dont think it will take the top spot. NOW, if this movie gets good word of mouth and much better critical reception then MoS, how will JLA perform? JLA will become the top earning movie of all time.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

In all seriousness, I really don't. I usually only hope a movie does good at the box office so they continue to make them I couldn't care less if they're top dog or not.

BatmanisMortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: Which do you prefer? marvel or dc, caps or batman and superman? i kind of want BvS to dominate so that it could be a kickstarter for wonder woman, Justice League and everything else. in my view there having caps take a grenade so they can damage BvS

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmanismortal: How? They had that date before BvsS was released. Just because they now said it's going to be Cap doesn't nullify that fact. I'm not a big Batman or Supes fan but I want a good Flash movie so all I'm pulling for is it does good enough for that. The movie itself however doesn't interest me all that much, until they start putting out a trailer it's not really on my mind.

BatmanisMortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BatmanisMortal

@feartheliving: this is a article explaining the fact :).

Remember the thread running through Captain America and The Avengers with Steve Rogers constantly jumping onto a grenade? Well, Steve Rogers just jumped onto another one. As of yesterday afternoon, The Hollywood Reporter reported that the mystery movie that Marvel Studios and Walt DisneyDIS -0.63% has slotted for May 6th, 2016 is none other than Captain America 3. It’s no secret that Warner Bros. moved Batman Vs. Superman from its intended July 17th, 2015 release date to the current May 6th, 2016 slot. The move was partially one hope that Marvel and Disney would move whatever their untitled film happened to be to another release date. That untitled movie has been announced as being the third Captain America film. Warner Bros. (a division of Time WarnerTWX +0.3%) has little choice but to pick a new release date. It has officially lost this game of chicken and will lose any showdown with Captain America 3 by default.

Aside from Disney announcing that Captain America: The Winter Soldier is very good (they wouldn’t have done this if they were expecting a deluge of negative reviews), the announcement signals to Warner Bros. that they are willing to use a property as valuable as Captain America as a tool to hurt DC Comics’s biggest and most important film. Marvel can afford to have its May, 2016 summer release, whatever that may be, gross a little less here and abroad if it means hurting Batman/Superman as a result of what amounts to a childish game of king of the mountain. But Warner Bros. can ill-afford to take a hit on Man Of Steel 2 merely as a result of Marvel calling their bluff. With its stable of properties, Marvel has little to lose at this point by colliding headfirst with Warner Bros.’ biggest franchise film. Captain America 3 doesn’t have to “win” the showdown (because rank doesn’t matter) in order to “win”. It just has to hurt Batman/Superman even if they both wind up bloody. It just has to “go the distance” against the presumptive “victor”.

Fri Box Office: 'Need For Speed' Sputters, 'Single Moms Club' TanksScott MendelsonContributorWhy 'Batman Vs. Superman' Had To Be Delayed For 10 Months.Scott MendelsonContributorThe Billionaire Winners Of The 2014 Academy AwardsDorothy PomerantzForbes Staff'Batman Vs. Superman' Loses Best Release Date Over DC Comics/Marvel Studios FeudScott MendelsonContributor

This isn’t about which film will open higher or gross more. Both films should be relatively big hits even head-to-head. This is about the relative risk of harm to both brands. If Captain America 3 is a relative smash even head-to-head with Man of Steel 2, then it counts as a massive win for the House of Ideas and the Mouse House even ifBatman/Superman doesn’t take a hit. If Captain America 3 under-performs at the worldwide box office, Disney has a perfect alibi. But the fact remains that if Batman/Superman is seen as under-performing at the box office for any reason, even direct competition with Captain America 3, Warner Bros. will be a much of a weaker position with their DC Comics properties. Captain America3, especially if Marvel doesn’t plan to keep each character’s respective stand-alone franchise ongoing indefinitely,can be sacrificed without doing much harm to the Marvel brand.Batman/Superman must unequivocally succeed in order for Warner Bros. to do whatever Justice League plans they have up their sleeve.

This announcement shows without any doubt that Marvel will not be moving off their prized early-May summer kick-off slot. And their announcement of using that slot not for a newer property that must be protected but rather a second sequel to a major franchise shows both confidence in said franchise and/or a willingness to sacrifice one installment of an ongoing series in order to hurt their primary competition. Warner Bros. bluffed and Disney raised them accordingly. Warner Bros. now has little choice to move their Man Of Steel sequel. Their prime July 22nd 2016 release date is as of yet unoccupied. They have other options (late April, mid-June, etc.), but that date has been gold for Warner Bros. over the last decade.

Warner Bros. doesn’t need an expanded DC universe as much as Marvel needs an expanded universe (that’s for another day). But they absolutely need Batman/Superman, which features their holy trinity (the title duo plus Wonder Woman)to be a massive hit if they have any hope of having any kind of DC Comics cinematic franchises outside of another Batman reboot. Warner Bros. has far more to lose in this arguably pointless showdown than Disney. So they should swallow their pride and move their crown jewel to the release date that has provided them so much good fortune over the last decade. In a game of chicken, the participant that’s willing to crash their car usually wins. Worst case scenario, Disney can afford to wreck one of its several Marvel properties. Warner Bros. cannot afford to risk any preventable harm to their key DC Comics film.

Walt Disney has announced that Captain America 3 will now challenge Warner Bros.’ Batman/Superman on May 6th, 2016. But they will win that showdown no matter how this face-off turns out, because they can afford the sacrifice play. They can afford to have Steve Rogers jump on the grenade and take the hit so long as Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent get bloodied too. So the Man of Steel and the Dark Knight have little choice but to move to safer waters. With slated Ant Man for July 20th, 2015. Warner had best act fast before Marvel slots some “unannounced” project in the July 2016 slot. Man of Steel 2, opening in theaters everywhere on July 22nd, 2016. It’s the right call. Now watch in horror and glee as Lionsgate says “Oh really? Watch this!” and moves Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part II to May 6th, 2016 purely for their own sadistic amusement.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/03/14/batmansuperman-will-lose-showdown-with-captain-america-3/

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmanismortal: That expels nothing there are no quotes and just a writer stating an opinion that they are using Cap as a tool. And again even if they were so what? They had the date first DC/WB shouldn't have expected Marvel to move the date and just should have picked on that wasn't already taken.

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
    Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman's Pal Superman with do great ;)

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Of course it can. Batman is the only superhero with two films that both made a billion each, add Superman and Wonder Woman, and could possibly have the biggest superhero movie ever, if it is played right then we could have one of the biggest movies of all time.

BatmanisMortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@feartheliving: i meant explain, i just think that that both movies are going to get hit and will lose more money, as to who blinks, i think it can go either ways,cap is obviously not do as well as they can without BvS in there way, but BvS is in a much more critical position. BvS is going to be the opining to to dwell into the Justice league. Batman and Superman together, with wonder woman entering late in the movie (possible martian manhunter appearance). so regarding the date i think that its just a d*** measuring contest, and one will blink when the first trailers come out, etc

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmanismortal: I think Marvel is set on that date regardless of what DC is doing. As for DC/WB I have no idea and honestly I don't think they do either, they want in on this superhero train and they want to make it happen now. If I had to place bets on one of them to move it's date it would be BvsS and they'd probably move it up rather than delay it.

BatmanisMortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: i completely agree, i think that DC should take actions and have a wonder woman movie mid 2015, green lantern (stewart) end 2015, BvS when it is, a Flash movie by late 2016 and justice league movie in mid 2017. after that they can relay on sequels and solos of other members of the justice league. after dc has established a strong base they can leap out to other movies about other dc characters, if they wish.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doubt it

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Maybe....

But if they continue screwing up the production like they do now,doubt it.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It could top the list, Batman, the novelty of Wonder Woman, novelty of Batman and Superman in the same movie. Maybe it wont take the overall title, but it should top the billion mark.

Jean199999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Jean199999

Idk, my crystal ball doesn't seem to be working today.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
    deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't know if it'll beat The Avengers, but I could see it grossing a bit more than, say, Spider-Man 3.

Avatar image for purple_d_dragon
    Purple_D_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is gold, how did I miss it?

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think not.. maybe it will circle around in 800 million..

I'm thinking this too

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What ??? Why compare it with Titanic or Avatar (which I disliked).

How could a mediocre movie, with bad press be the highest grossing ?

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rainshadow777

@jb681131 said:
    @batmanismortal said:

What ??? Why compare it with Titanic or Avatar (which I disliked).

How could a mediocre movie, with bad press be the highest grossing ?

Because it wasn't released two years ago when batmanismortal originally wrote that post, perhaps??

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.