Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Can Batman kill Superman with that Kryptonite he carries around?

SSG335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SSG335

If it was ever necessary

hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By hdorman1

i doubt it
    maybe a swift and decisive beating

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By johnny_spam

Even though it was out of continuity he did kill Superman in a Armageddon 2001 crossover. 

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By MrMiracle77

You know, when you consider all the times that Superman has been exposed to Kryptonite and "nearly killed", how effective do you suppose the stuff really is?

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Yung ANcient One

Well once... A piece... like a tiny piece of Kryptonite was enough to Greatly Weaken Superman... but Then one time Superman Lifted a island made out of Kryptonite... So... yea... that doesnt make much sense... and i believe Metallo should have killed Superman... several times... i mean he shoots Kryptonite beams... so... IMo... he should be able to kill him... but its fiction... so anything can... or cant happen...

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Theodore

Possibly if he shot him with a kryptonite bullet?

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By AtPhantom
    @Yung ANcient One said:
    " Well once... A piece... like a tiny piece of Kryptonite was enough to Greatly Weaken Superman... but Then one time Superman Lifted a island made out of Kryptonite... So... yea... that doesnt make much sense... and i believe Metallo should have killed Superman... several times... i mean he shoots Kryptonite beams... so... IMo... he should be able to kill him... but its fiction... so anything can... or cant happen... "
    Why does everyone bring up the island? It's a different Superman for crying out loud.

@Theodore said:
    " Possibly if he shot him with a kryptonite bullet? "
    This. Superman can withstand massive punishment even in presence of kryptonite, but a K bullet lodged inside his body will kill him in a relatively short time.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Didnt Superman survive, and then defeat, a superpowered opponent after being at ground zero of two kryptonite nukes?

The Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The Scientist

Inject it with a kryptonite needle. Krypto-Meth!

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AtPhantom
    @Gambler said:
    " Didnt Superman survive, and then defeat, a superpowered opponent after being at ground zero of two kryptonite nukes? "
    O.o?

I remember him fighting a kryptonite Doomsday, but this...
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Yung ANcient One
    @AtPhantom: 

because it shows how Fanboy Writers... or a writer that wants to express how ULTRA powerful Superman is can ruin him in the process... and it also explains that depending on the writer anything can or cant happen... Superman Moved Planets... Superman Pick up a Island of Kryptonite... Superman got shot with a Kryptonite Bullet and lived... Superman was Greatly weakened when Bats showed Superman his tiny piece of Kryptonite... Superman Ran Backwards so FAST... he went back in time... somehow... Superman... has spun the Earth Backwards to make time go backwards... yea... real realistic... and reasonable...  Batman socked Superman with Kryptonite-Brass-Knuckles... and all it did was Hurt him... even tho being too close to tiny piece... weakened him... mmmm...

again it jus shows... anything is possible or impossible depending on the writer...
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @AtPhantom said:
    " @Gambler said:
    " Didnt Superman survive, and then defeat, a superpowered opponent after being at ground zero of two kryptonite nukes? "
    O.o?   I remember him fighting a kryptonite Doomsday, but this... "
    I'm not 100% sure but I recall Buckshot mentioning it in one of the threads awhile ago. I'm looking for more information (as well as the original thread)
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AtPhantom
    @Yung ANcient One said:
    " @AtPhantom:   because it shows how Fanboy Writers... or a writer that wants to express how ULTRA powerful Superman is can ruin him in the process... and it also explains that depending on the writer anything can or cant happen... Superman Moved Planets... Superman Pick up a Island of Kryptonite... Superman got shot with a Kryptonite Bullet and lived... Superman was Greatly weakened when Bats showed Superman his tiny piece of Kryptonite... Superman Ran Backwards so FAST... he went back in time... somehow... Superman... has a turned Earth Backwards to make time go backwards... yea... real realistic... and reasonable...  Batman socked Superman with Kryptonite-Brass-Knuckles... and all it did was Hurt him... even tho being too close to tiny piece... weakened him... mmmm...  again it jus shows... anything is possible or impossible depending on the writer... "
    Different writers can do different things with characters in different continuities. That's why they created different continuities. There is no point in bringing in the movie Superman since nothing he did or didn't do has any relevance to the comic Superman. Neither does mentioning the spinning the Earth backwards. We're talking about one continuity here. What happens in other continuities is none of our business here.
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AtPhantom
    @Gambler said:
    " @AtPhantom said:
    " @Gambler said:
    I'm not 100% sure but I recall Buckshot mentioning it in one of the threads awhile ago. I'm looking for more information (as well as the original thread) "
    Cool. That'd be something. : )
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Yung ANcient One
    @AtPhantom: it kinda does matter... because the question is 

Can Batman kill Superman with that Kryptonite he carries around?

he doesnt put any specifics... on what continuity it is... or anything like that... 
     and i simply explain... that its Fiction SO anything can or cant happen

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AtPhantom
    @Yung ANcient One: Yeah, well Since Batman doesn't exist in the continuities you've addressed, that kinda narrows it down a bit.

But maybe I'm taking this too far. My main point is this: Who cares what happened in the movies?
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @AtPhantom said:
    " @Gambler said:
    " @AtPhantom said:
    " @Gambler said:
    I'm not 100% sure but I recall Buckshot mentioning it in one of the threads awhile ago. I'm looking for more information (as well as the original thread) "
    Cool. That'd be something. : ) "
    Okay found it. I was incorrect, it was one Nuke and it wasn't Kryptonite based. The Kryptonite was on the ground already (Metallo's heart had been crushed and put into the sand). Superman is at the center of the explosion, w/ the Kryptonite, but suffers no damage.  Man of Steel #131 (not as impressive but its decent)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Sylar0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sylar0

He can kill Superman anytime he want's but he is not a killer but if it came down to it like say superman turning evil he would kill him. Plus wee all know Batman is way better then Superman 

Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Yung ANcient One
    @AtPhantom: 

alright man... i was jus saying... that anything can happen...
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Primmaster64

hmmm

The Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The Scientist
    @ The Scientist said:
    " Inject it with a kryptonite needle. Krypto-Meth! "

maistin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By maistin

Batman uses a kryptonite ring to fight Superman in the Hush storyline and mentions in his (Batman's) internal dialogue that the ring is barely enough to keep Superman off his top form.  Basically, it was just enough to buy Batman a few seconds to distract Superman- he still almost broke his hand on Superman's face and only managed to piss him off.

Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hoboseid

: @Sylar0 said:

He can kill Superman anytime he want's but he is not a killer but if it came down to it like say superman turning evil he would kill him. Plus wee all know Batman is way better then Superman

this

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

There's at least five different ways Superman can disarm kryptonite from someone without feeling the affects 

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BatteredArmor

@ The Scientist said:

Inject it with a kryptonite needle. Krypto-Meth!

METHONITE FTW

He's Batman he could kill superwimp with a paper clip if he wanted

just joking supes crushes the bat like a bug

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jack Donaghy

I've always wondered how could Batman even hope to get close enough to Superman to be able to use it on him? Seriously Superman is around light speed shouldn't he be to fast for Batman to shoot or anything like that.

luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By luckydomino1

the kryptonite bullet would be shot into his body into his body this would really damage him batman knows what hes doing . unless he pulls it out during battle hes screwed batman would win

Avatar image for yumyumbubblegum
    yumyumbubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By yumyumbubblegum

@luckydomino1 said:

the kryptonite bullet would be shot into his body into his body this would really damage him batman knows what hes doing . unless he pulls it out during battle hes screwed batman would win

You mean like Metallo with a lot less awkward movements?

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30  Edited By RedOwl_1

@Sylar0 said:

Yeah this is exacty what I think

@maistin said:

Batman uses a kryptonite ring to fight Superman in the Hush storyline and mentions in his (Batman's) internal dialogue that the ring is barely enough to keep Superman off his top form. Basically, it was just enough to buy Batman a few seconds to distract Superman- he still almost broke his hand on Superman's face and only managed to piss him off.

Great part of Hush, if u piss out the mistakes, Hush is one of the most awesome Batman storylines

@Theodore: Yeah is a good idea, in Public Enemies almost did it but Alfred is AWESOME

Mia26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mia26

@Sylar0 : LOL ... bullshit, Batman has never defeated Superman in continuity with kryptonite, prep,plans, and even powers in one occasion, Also Superman is a better hero.

UncleEmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By UncleEmu

If you don't mind, I would like to take this topic to a more productive direction:

WHAT EFFECTS SHOULD KRYPTONITE HAVE ON SUPERMAN? (BE SPECIFIC)

this will help determine if the ring scenario is considered legit or not (by comicvine posters of course =))

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By havoc1201

well Superman gave Batman the ring in case he went rogue and needed to be taken out but like others have said since then the effects of K have changed like in Hush were it barely effected him but i would say Batman would find a way to take him out just like Superman knows he would be able to do it.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MuyJingo

It's been portrayed pretty inconsistently in continuity, but its easy to find examples where a small peice greatly weakened him. Which I take to mean that Superman was then at the mercy of whoever wasa round, and if left alone and untreated would eventually die.

Also, Batman can essentially negate superman's powers. Master of disguise, can hide his heartbeat with a gadget etc...he could easily lure him into a trap somehow and spring the kryptonite on him.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By consolemaster001

don't think so.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By TDK_1997

Despite the fact that Kryptonite is the weakness of Sups I don't think Batman is going to be able to kill him.A several villains of Sups have used kryptonite against him and tried to kill him but he just doesn't die and quit.

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No.

Batman needs much larger quantities than a simple ring.

batman_ac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By batman_ac

The fight has already taken place, at the end of "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns" Batman uses a cloud of green Kryptonite gas to rob Superman of his powers, and had no trouble beating him up. Superman can win a fight... but Batman can plan a battle. There's a difference. Superman has called Batman the "most dangerous man alive". He even had to synthesize the Green K he used to do it with. Took years, and cost a fortune... fortunately, he had both.

This is a difficult question as it throws up a lot of knee-jerk reactionary answers on both sides.

On the one hand you have the knee-jerk opinion that in any "versus" situation the rule of thumb is "Batman always wins".

On the other hand you have the knee-jerk opinion that Superman is faster than a speeding bullet and able (in some incarnations) to juggle planets therefore Batman is dead before he even knew Superman was after him.

The Superman argument is fairly straightforward. We are talking about the template for all modern superheroes. He is able to: move and think several times faster than the speed of sound; fire heat beams from his eyes; lift incredible masses; inhale enormous volumes of gas; expel gas from his lungs at supersonic speeds capable of freezing water; fly; and he is virtually invulnerable.

In virtually every single possible regard Superman is a vastly superior combatant to Batman. He is capable of striking at a distance and significantly faster than Batman is capable of reacting.

Which raises two questions:

Why is Batman the only person Superman really fears? The person he describes as "the most dangerous man on the planet"

and

Why did he feel a man with no super powers was the right person to safe guard Lex Luthor's Kryptonite ring? Why did he also do so with the explicit reasoning that "he was the only one he could trust to take him down" should the need ever arise?

This is where the question gets confusing.

Batman has no powers.

Batman is a human being.

However Batman walks with the Gods in the JLA. He walks with the Gods and he scares them. A human being amongst beings who can literally turn a man to dust with just a thought and they are scared of him. Why?

This is more than just simply about him being intimidating; more than just a front. They are terrified for good reason. They know that there is a very good chance that if push came to shove Batman would take them down.

In the modern DC universe this fear is more than realised when Batman's plans were subverted and people were taken down.

Batman is an Olympic level athlete and acrobat and he is possibly the greatest martial artist of his generation but none of this compares to his greatest weapon: his mind.

Batman is an applied genius. He is no theoretical academic but an expert is a huge range of fields and knows exactly how to turn his expertise into useful substance to fight crime.

Batman's genius has lead him to forward plan; to form allegiances with other experts; to build and buy weapons; and to use computers and all they are capable of to his advantage.

Superman's real weakness is Kryptonite, Batman has it, knows how to use it. He also would have planned at least a dozen ways to survive and win an attack by Superman.

The only question is would he get a chance to use any of them?

If there is any time lag or distance between them when Superman went bad then Batman is almost certainly going to win. If Superman is near Batman then he doesn't stand a chance, he will be dead before being able to draw a single breath or form a single thought.

Alternative answer

You see, I truly believe that Batman will be victorious because he's an amazing superhero. Batman has the greatest weapon on his side..... intelligence and Batman's intelligence is outstanding and remarkable. In addition Batman is a man who saves Gotham before saving his own friends and family .... as he said once "when it comes to saving Gotham ...... I have no friends", and Batman has many utensils in his belt .... he has KRYPTONITE .....wait isn't that Superman's weakness ? Why yes, yes it is. If Batman has a car in that belt, then he's destined to have Kryptonite .... and by the way it seems every last one of Superman's villains has Kryptonite....now why wouldn't Batman ?So what if u can get shot in the eye with a bullet and still go on with your day ... but can you take your weakness in your eye ?

This has been something on peoples minds ever since they both began. There is no definitive answer, Batman is known as the worlds greatest detective so he should be able to come up with a way to beat Superman, however, Superman does have all those powers and is a scientist, in the batman/superman movie Superman wore a lead suit to prevent being affected by Kryptonite. There is one thing we can say, it would be an awesome fight.

Batman has beat superman on several occassion's just look at Frank Millers Graphic Novel The Dark Knight Returns as one example of batman beating up superman.

Batman could easily take Superman out with kryptonite. But if he did not have kryptonite, he would be in deep trouble.

It would depend on the situation as Superman has a weakness to kyptonite which Batman could exploit in a fight. batman to be clear would win in the last episode of justice league unlimited batman,lex and superman fought dark side in which dark side fired a eye beam after batman and batman through his great skill and agility dodged it and dark side said he had never seen someone dodge his eye beam and we have seen superman who is faster than the sound of light get hit by this maybe its cause superman is dumb cause he saw it coming and could not dodge it and was saved by the rest of the league so end of story BATMAN WINS

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Eternal19

@batman_ac: Nobody in the JL is scared of batman. Superman saying that batman is the most dangerous man on the planet doesn't mean that he fears batman it means that he respects his abilities. Your entire argument makes no sense

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.