Can Batman be called paranoid?

#1 Posted by Neocrous (395 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman prepares for every type of conflict in the world even if it couldn't happen. Although he's usually right is that still being paranoid, what do you think?

#2 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes and no.

#3 Posted by Neocrous (395 posts) - - Show Bio

Shaper says:

"Yes and no."

Explain why you think that

#4 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

Not can be. Is.

#5 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

He is like friends with all these hero's, yet he makes plans on way to beat them. Paranoid.

But, then there he is trying to protect humanity from them and has reasons why he does. Those heroes (Ex: Superman) have be under some sort of mind control or something and attacked humanity. Not paranoid.

#6 Posted by Neocrous (395 posts) - - Show Bio

Shaper says:

"He is like friends with all these hero's, yet he makes plans on way to beat them. Paranoid.But, then there he is trying to protect humanity from them and has reasons why he does. Those heroes (Ex: Superman) have be under some sort of mind control or something and attacked humanity. Not paranoid."

I had forgot all about the Brother I thing

#7 Posted by Ippy (179 posts) - - Show Bio

Better safe than sorry, I guess?

#8 Posted by MidKnight (131 posts) - - Show Bio

Think about it this way. Imagine you are an extremely intelligent strategist and detective and you are surrounded by all these people; though good at heart have all these unimaginable amazing and destructive powers (i.e. Superman, Green Lantern, etc.) If just one them flew off the handle or lost their cool they could single handedly destroy every single thing you work for, and loved, and believed in. Wouldn't you prepare a countermeasure?

Take Superman for instance. We all know that he has never really shown how powerful he really is, he has always held back for the sake of his own sanity and for the well being of the possible bystanders surrounding him. Just think about what would happen if he got tired of being the old fashioned good guy who saves the world and tells children not to swear and became a tyrant (which he could easily do.) Who would really be able to stand up to that kind of power without being properly prepared?

So the answer is no. Batman is not paranoid. Batman is prepared.

#9 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84508 posts) - - Show Bio

MidKnight says:

"Think about it this way. Imagine you are an extremely intelligent strategist and detective and you are surrounded by all these people; though good at heart have all these unimaginable amazing and destructive powers (i.e. Superman, Green Lantern, etc.) If just one them flew off the handle or lost their cool they could single handedly destroy every single thing you work for, and loved, and believed in. Wouldn't you prepare a countermeasure?Take Superman for instance. We all know that he has never really shown how powerful he really is, he has always held back for the sake of his own sanity and for the well being of the possible bystanders surrounding him. Just think about what would happen if he got tired of being the old fashioned good guy who saves the world and tells children not to swear and became a tyrant (which he could easily do.) Who would really be able to stand up to that kind of power without being properly prepared?So the answer is no. Batman is not paranoid. Batman is prepared."

Nice post.

#10 Posted by Hawkingbird (350 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not paranoia when it's justified.

#11 Posted by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio

MidKnight says:

"Think about it this way. Imagine you are an extremely intelligent strategist and detective and you are surrounded by all these people; though good at heart have all these unimaginable amazing and destructive powers (i.e. Superman, Green Lantern, etc.) If just one them flew off the handle or lost their cool they could single handedly destroy every single thing you work for, and loved, and believed in. Wouldn't you prepare a countermeasure?Take Superman for instance. We all know that he has never really shown how powerful he really is, he has always held back for the sake of his own sanity and for the well being of the possible bystanders surrounding him. Just think about what would happen if he got tired of being the old fashioned good guy who saves the world and tells children not to swear and became a tyrant (which he could easily do.) Who would really be able to stand up to that kind of power without being properly prepared?So the answer is no. Batman is not paranoid. Batman is prepared."

nice post

#12 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Crazy rich white guy who dresses up like a Bat and thinks everybody's out to get him. Yes, that's Paranoid because...

On a serious note, he's a little bit paranoid.

#13 Posted by Neocrous (395 posts) - - Show Bio

Eternal Chaos says:

"Crazy rich white guy who dresses up like a Bat and thinks everybody's out to get him. Yes, that's Paranoid because...On a serious note, he's a little bit paranoid."

Okay now this is being paranoid

#14 Posted by MidKnight (131 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nighthuner and Gamber: Thank you :)

#15 Posted by batpool (414 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he is paranoid....but in a safe way.
He is a little to hasty, but he has his ducks in a row.

#16 Posted by Silenttiger43 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Batman /is/ paranoid. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes not. He's probably got a plan for every occasion, like if a giant poodle attacks Gotham, he'd be like "Is it genetically modified, robotic, vampiric or diseased?" and he'd have a plan for any combination of those. lol.

meanwhile the Superman thing, he was paranoid about and it paid off. So with the paranioa he's prepared for everything, which is good, but I bet his stress levels are out the window trying to think of other possibilities to be ready for.

#17 Posted by MidKnight (131 posts) - - Show Bio

Silenttiger43 says:

"I think Batman /is/ paranoid. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes not. He's probably got a plan for every occasion, like if a giant poodle attacks Gotham, he'd be like "Is it genetically modified, robotic, vampiric or diseased?" and he'd have a plan for any combination of those. lol."

DUDE!!! You have NO idea how much I would be willing to pay for that issue! Brilliant!

#18 Posted by Silenttiger43 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

lol, maybe I should become a comic book writer?

#19 Posted by Morphid (1166 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd believe that he could be, but it depends, who is he fighting??

#20 Posted by electro nucleo (57 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah i think he is and thats why he is cool he always strikes me as the type of guy that one day can turn bad and break someones neck

#21 Posted by Knightwing (333 posts) - - Show Bio

electro nucleo says:

"yeah i think he is and thats why he is cool he always strikes me as the type of guy that one day can turn bad and break someones neck"

Yeah you know I kinda like to see that kind of story.

#22 Posted by MidKnight (131 posts) - - Show Bio

Morphid says:

"I'd believe that he could be, but it depends, who is he fighting??"

well if you want to put it that way then Batman can't even be singled out for this honestly.

#23 Posted by KnightlyVengence (302 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not saying that he is or anything... but after all he's been through I think he's earned the right to be a little paranoid... but I don't think he is.

#24 Posted by Silenttiger43 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

KnightlyVengence says:

"I'm not saying that he is or anything... but after all he's been through I think he's earned the right to be a little paranoid... but I don't think he is."

Oh yeah, he's earned the right to be paranoid, but I have to dissagree with the second part of your comment. I think he is. But it really is justified ^_^

#25 Posted by G-Man (30615 posts) - - Show Bio

Just doesn't sound right.

Staff
#26 Posted by KnightlyVengence (302 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"Just doesn't sound right."

That is gorgeous... and by the way I personally know Bruce Wayne and he does not have a paranoid bone in his body... Bruce put that down! It's a toaster not a bomb!... No I will not let you call Clark and have it X-rayed! ...on second thought... he does kinda have shifty eyes.

#27 Posted by Silenttiger43 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

KnightlyVengence says:

"G-Man says:
"Just doesn't sound right. "
That is gorgeous... and by the way I personally know Bruce Wayne and he does not have a paranoid bone in his body... *Bruce put that down! It's a toaster not a bomb!... No I will not let you call Clark and have it X-rayed!* ...on second thought... he does kinda have shifty eyes."

LOL, that's just... wow. XD I love you people

#28 Posted by KnightlyVengence (302 posts) - - Show Bio

Silenttiger43 says:

"KnightlyVengence says:
"G-Man says:
"Just doesn't sound right. "
That is gorgeous... and by the way I personally know Bruce Wayne and he does not have a paranoid bone in his body... *Bruce put that down! It's a toaster not a bomb!... No I will not let you call Clark and have it X-rayed!* ...on second thought... he does kinda have shifty eyes."
LOL, that's just... wow. XD I love you people"

I wonder what my shrink would say if he read my posts on this site :P

#29 Posted by ChrisAngel (3955 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd tend to think that Batman in his way is a little bit paranoid, to a degree. His level of preparedness for an event - while many times indeed justified - is to a point where it signifies that even within the bounds of his chosen profession, he really trusts nobody, even those he's chosen to partner with, based on the degree to which he keeps things largely to himself. On a psychological front, I have to wonder if the man doesn't show a slight psychosis, I wouldn't put it past him.. seeing your parents murdered right in front of you would be enough to permanently damage anyone.

#30 Posted by BatmanBeyond (202 posts) - - Show Bio

"I've never met a smart person who was unprepared"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.