Can any DC hero hold his own show like Batman?

#1 Posted by krspaceT (1463 posts) - - Show Bio

Lets look at the series of T.V shows DC has put out recently, say the last 20 years....

Ignoring team shows

Batman; 4 (Counting Beyond and Beware, not counting Brave and Bold), both of them lasting for a good period of time

Superman; 1 (Superman TAS) Legion of super heroes is a team show

Static; 1

Green Lantern; 1

Among them, length wise Static was the only one that really got the same level of length and award. Out of them, unless they managed to pull off another dark horse win with Static, few can really generate the same type of story line diversity.

Could a DC hero have a series that does as well as the Batman series, the Batman lasted 5 seasons, Batman T.A.S was able to reboot itself successfully, and even Brave and the Bold, a show everyone seemed to hate, lasted 3 seasons. (As long as Superman, and longer than even Spectacular Spiderman)

#2 Posted by nickzambuto (13062 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Smallville just finish it's 10 year long run?

#3 Posted by krspaceT (1463 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: I meant animated

#4 Posted by nickzambuto (13062 posts) - - Show Bio

@krspaceT said:

Well in that case, no. Other than Superman TAS and Static Shock, no solo DC series has been that popular, add to the fact that each of them only had 1 show while Batman had several.

#5 Posted by krspaceT (1463 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: Is there any DC hero who could hold his or her own show? I'm thinking Flash could have a chance.....

#6 Edited by nickzambuto (13062 posts) - - Show Bio

@krspaceT said:

@nickzambuto: Is there any DC hero who could hold his or her own show? I'm thinking Flash could have a chance.....

Well yeah, there are plenty of heroes who have the potential, all it takes is the direction. I'd love to see a Flash show, or another Superman one to.

#7 Posted by Noctis (1396 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure if this counts but, what about the Teen Titans they lasted for 5 seasons.

#8 Posted by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

@Noctis: It seems like he doesnt count the "teams" shows.

Some heroes have enough potential to carry a succesfull and lasting show. Think about John Stewart, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Flash and many. Even a bunch of villains can shine on tv. Lobo and The Jokers can deal with their vey own shows.

#9 Posted by krspaceT (1463 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheThe: I discounted Team shows, which I like a lot, because they have multiple sources to draw on. Teen Titans can go from Beast Boy's terra arc to raven's trigon arc, for instance, to keep the story line good

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

How long did the WildC.A.T's series run?

#11 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that both Aquaman and Flash could carry spectacular TV shows, but it'll probably never happen.

#12 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Green Lantern is still going and it's doing pretty well. Don't count it out yet.

#13 Posted by nickzambuto (13062 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

Well Green Lantern is still going and it's doing pretty well. Don't count it out yet.

dat art style.

#14 Posted by BatWatch (2368 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Brave and the Bold. Good cheesy fun. Reminds me of the original Brave and the Bold back in the silver and bronze age.

I think any DC hero could hold an audience if it was written well.

#15 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

@krspaceT said:

Well in that case, no. Other than Superman TAS and Static Shock, no solo DC series has been that popular, add to the fact that each of them only had 1 show while Batman had several.

Yup that about sums it up.

#16 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

Blue Beetle. The support cast, setting, and villains are all there in the comics. Jaime also has a personality so that would help character wise.

#17 Posted by Dhor (282 posts) - - Show Bio

the green lantern Tv series is wicked good Hopefully will get 5-6 seasons:D

#18 Posted by The Stegman (23258 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder woman could manage it, so could Flash

#19 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going with Flash.

@spiderbat87 said:

How long did the WildC.A.T's series run?

13 episodes.

#20 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

@Deranged Midget said:

dat art style.

Not the biggest fan of CGI, but it somewhat grew one me.

#21 Posted by TDK_1997 (14496 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the Superman TAS show and I would love to see a Superman animated series again.As for Green Lantern,it hasn't been that bad.

#22 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the GL series. It's quite well-written and engaging, despite the video game feel to the art. It's not Batman TAS, but it's still good. Since I joined in late, I'm confused about the REd lantern guy with them. How'd he end up with the GL Corps with a Red ring? (I don't read many GL comics either, so I really have no idea if that's from the comics or not.)

#23 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman and Flash can... Ya know, if they ever gave those two a chance.

#24 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the writing and animation quality. An obscure character can have a successful run if the the aforementioned criteria are met and in some cases sub-par animation is trumped by great writing and the show still succeeds.

#25 Posted by Ms. Omega (4404 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultraforce lasted for a while.

#26 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see a Flash, Shazam, or Blue Beetle cartoon. I guess warner bros. wont take the risk because it might not find an audience, when any show can be good as look as its written well, but instead they play it safe and stick with batman.

@Manwhohaseverything: Razr is not in the comics, he was originally a prisoner that Hal and Kilowog captured after he blew up a frontier planet. He ended up joining them after turning his back on the red lantern cause, he even tried to kill atrocitus. He's still a red lantern because he can't let go of the anger inside of him.

#27 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Lantern the animated series is a critically acclaimed tv series that is actually a breakthrough for cgi animated tv series.

Green Lantern would probably last for quite a while.

#28 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

@krspaceT: people who hated brave and bold probably didn't watch more than an episode of it.

And how can you not have story diversity with Green Lantern? The first season just wrapped up and it was fantastic, we're definitely going to see more in the near future.

#29 Posted by NinaColada (37 posts) - - Show Bio

The reason Batman lasted so long and is still successful today is because it has so many well written characters (heroes and villains), i.e. Batman, the four Robins, Batgirl, Gordon + all the villains. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not a Flash fan but judging from the 52 reboot Flash doesn't have that many characters etc. BTAS had a different character in each episode (some repeating, yes) which made it successful.

I really don't see any other character beating Batman or Superman (or Green Lantern, haven't watched it but heard it's good) in terms of television shows unless they get the much needed publicity and emphasis. The other DC characters need to be made more popular in order for a television show to succeed. I can see the possibility of it happening but the characters need to be more popular not just among the comic book fans but also television fans.

#30 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

I think wonder woman might be able to but I don't think anyone can carry on as long as Batman.

#31 Posted by FMStyyx (738 posts) - - Show Bio

Bats got this.. The flash would be awesome.. the Joker would be an awesome show.. they could go into detail on some of his schemes.. explore this super sanity..

#32 Posted by batshrine (976 posts) - - Show Bio

I think villain shows are actually an awful idea not because they aren't interesting but they are VERY difficult to pull off. The reason is you get tired of them fast. They are either being evil, or bad ass all the time. And most of the time you have to humanize them to make them less boring, and at that point you get an almost anti-hero. Which is why Deathstroke one of DC's best characters is flopping, and Red Lantern series is also struggling. So no I would not want a Joker show.

However I do think Flash is overdue for a show. After Justice League, and JLU, the most popular character after Batman, was the flash. My sister who hates superheroes would sit down and watch the show with me if Flash was in that episode. So I would love to see a flash tv show, except for one thing. I want Wally West, I do not want Barry Allen. Maybe it is because I grew up on Wally West, but I think Barry Allen is the MOST BORING flash out there. The problem with Flash, almost like Superman is that you could really over power him which makes it hard to write a good story. Green Lantern is lucky because they created the Emotional Spectrum which balances him, and makes for a WIDE array of characters. But with any good writing, anything is possible!

Otherwise my attention is all over the Batman universe so obviously even though this thread is about other heroes shining, I can't help but say I want a Batman show that really displays his pretty big family. Which is why I am excited that Beware the Batman will not start with origin (I hope).

My second favorite DC character is Raven, but I really don't see her anywhere but on a team show, kinda like seeing a Storm show by itself (though Storm should totally get her own movie).

#33 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i think a suicide squad would be awesome !

#34 Posted by PurplePhoenix (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@Noctis: It seems he doesnt count the "Team Shows", but I loved Teen Titans. xD

#35 Edited by Manchine (4042 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.