Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

BvS- Did the World Engine shake up Gotham too?

• 67 results
    Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By Bezza

Well I like to believe Batman was still on holiday with Catwoman and having tea with Alfred in that Italian Café (post DKR) when the World Engine was going on....

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@spidey_jackson: except for the fact that when Zod was threatening the Earth he was in a spaceship...?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#54  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@frozen said:

@saint_wildcard: How is he an urban legend? Not only has he operated as Batman for 10 years but he's still operating as Batman. The Bat-Signal is also there, and clearly he would not obtain that signal 10 years into his career (even in Batman Begins, he immediately obtained it after they established him as Batman). He's tethered to one city, Gotham, but I don't see why that makes him an urban legend, he's just not as significant as Superman is outside his own city, it's probably less realistic than Nolan's trilogy given the fact he has an armored battle suit and is still operating despite being 10 years into his career (Nolan Batman was Batman for 6-12 months before retiring).

And in regards to the photos, that's because the references to Batman were subtle.

That's they way I chose to interpret Goyer's comment and at the same time explain why Batman has been at it for a while. Dude you know that there are parks that offer Bigfoot tours and play it up even though it's all fake. Just cus there is a Batsignal doesn't put the nail on the head this day and age, people want proof and I doubt there are many straight up good photos of him. At least that's how I interpret it, Im not saying what I said is fact that's just how I examine both statements. Also the way he likes to work is by scaring superstitious bad guys. I appy-polly-loggies if it sounded that I what I said was gonna be fact but in reality Im just speculating and trying to make sense of it all.

What comments did he make that say ''Batman is an urban legend''? A Bat-Signal is confirmation that he exists as a person, that's why immediately after it was put up in Batman Begins, the people of Gotham knew about his existence, hell the U.S Government knew in The Dark Knight Rises. You don't need photos of him, it'll be hard to find him or capture solid pictures but that's always been the case for Batman.

His influence isn't as signifcant as Superman's and he probably only operates in the night, that doesn't mean urban legend at all. There may be criminals who have misconseptions of Batman however, and think of him as a demon or someone that can fly, etc.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Now I want to see a Batman and Star Wars crossover...

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By RustyRoy

It would've been so cool if WB had the SW rights.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57 the_stegman  Moderator

Eh, I don't mind if other heroes didn't stop the world engine, it was a Superman movie starring Superman, obviously we'll see the others in Dawn of Justice/Justice League.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

@saint_wildcard: Batgod is Batman charged with the PIS force. I.E tanking hits from Solomon grundy. And TDKR Batman was arguably the thing that started the schism between Supes and Bats fans, and the reason people put Batman on the same level as Superman.

No friend. My first comment did not even mention Marvel. You replied with "also the same things happens in the Marvel Universe". When again, i didn't even mention them.

Rookie my tuckus. He made no attempts to take the battle away from the cities. He simply told people to "get inside". And judging by how most of the buildings in Smallville were destroyed, he probably sealed their fate. The rookie mistake excuse dosen't hold up when you're responsible for destroying thousands of lives. The Avengers had a plan,contain the invasion. Save as many lives as possible. Superman simply fought with reckless abandon.

Beata

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wardishy: Yeah, but the world engines were on the ground. And they were the real threat.

Beata

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@spidey_jackson: 1. Were there just the two? Been a while since I watched it. One was in the ocean and the other in Metropolis, right? And the one in Metropolis didn't even finish destroying Metropolis so they can't have been operating for long.

2. What could any hero that potentially existed in the Man of Steel verse do to stop the World Engines? We don't know who existed other than Batman yet. Wonder Woman has probably never left the island by that point, there might not have been a Green Lantern or Flash - we don't have any info. And if they did exist, what were their capabilities in the movieverse, etc. Superman was probably the strongest if any others existed.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wardishy: Yep, there was 2.

That can't be answered until at least BVS.

Beata

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@saint_wildcard: Batgod is Batman charged with the PIS force. I.E tanking hits from Solomon grundy. And TDKR Batman was arguably the thing that started the schism between Supes and Bats fans, and the reason people put Batman on the same level as Superman.

Those are examples of Batgod and what you and DeathPool wanted was a bigger example of Batgod. Wanting Batman to go help Metropolis when not even the US Government could do anything and only stopped Zod's ship by sacrificing themselves cus they had a plan.

No friend. My first comment did not even mention Marvel. You replied with "also the same things happens in the Marvel Universe". When again, i didn't even mention them.

Touche

Rookie my tuckus. He made no attempts to take the battle away from the cities. He simply told people to "get inside". And judging by how most of the buildings in Smallville were destroyed, he probably sealed their fate. The rookie mistake excuse dosen't hold up when you're responsible for destroying thousands of lives. The Avengers had a plan,contain the invasion. Save as many lives as possible. Superman simply fought with reckless abandon.

This isn't DBZ or Superman 2 where the villains are gonna go where you want. Also he was facing people who were just as strong and fast as him but with military training. They don't care about human lives and Faora even said that for every life he saves they will kill a million more. If you really think that him being a rookie while facing a threat that he's never faced before (again he's only been Superman for less than a week at best ) is not an excuse well then you have high standards. The avengers were fighting storm troopers that could be taken down with kung fu kicks from Black Widow.

Loading Video...

In that scene Clark and Nam-Ek are going at it and the Military is still shooting at them.... but they don't even notice the bullets. In the Avengers the human characters were of help fighting the Storm Troopers, in Man of Steel they couldn't do jack s--t. In Avengers they had 6 heroes plus SHEILD which could help. In Man of Steel he did the fighting by himself, if you don't think he deserves the benefit of the doubt well then sir you have issues

@frozen said:

What comments did he make that say ''Batman is an urban legend''? A Bat-Signal is confirmation that he exists as a person, that's why immediately after it was put up in Batman Begins, the people of Gotham knew about his existence, hell the U.S Government knew in The Dark Knight Rises. You don't need photos of him, it'll be hard to find him or capture solid pictures but that's always been the case for Batman.

His influence isn't as signifcant as Superman's and he probably only operates in the night, that doesn't mean urban legend at all. There may be criminals who have misconseptions of Batman however, and think of him as a demon or someone that can fly, etc.

Goyer said that due to Superman saving the Earth that other DC heroes will follow. Meaning that he is the first hero to be recognized by the world. Obviously the people in Gotham know more and have seen it, but since they are going for realism they have to explain how the US Government doesn't do anything about a vigilante doing the GCPDs work. Also it seems like you're taking my saying he's an urban legend as an insult. It's just a way for him to manage keeping the world at bay while he does his work in his city.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@saint_wildcard: I'm not taking it as an insult, I've just not seen any evidence for it. The other superheroes following him are simply revealing themselves to the world or making acknowledgements of Superman. Batman already operated in the Nolan trilogy and the Government didn't do anything to him specifically, they wouldn't be inclined to do much to Batman, they would clearly take acknowledgement of Superman because of all the destruction caused and his immediate ties to the military. 10 years is also a long time, thus I'm inclined to believe many will already be accustomed to Batman.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@frozen said:

@saint_wildcard: I'm not taking it as an insult, I've just not seen any evidence for it. The other superheroes following him are simply revealing themselves to the world or making acknowledgements of Superman. Batman already operated in the Nolan trilogy and the Government didn't do anything to him specifically, they wouldn't be inclined to do much to Batman, they would clearly take acknowledgement of Superman because of all the destruction caused and his immediate ties to the military. 10 years is also a long time, thus I'm inclined to believe many will already be accustomed to Batman.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/rumor-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-will-find-batman-and-wonder-woman-already-fighting-crime-20140805

Rumors but atleast Im not the only one that thinks it

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 frozen  Moderator

@saint_wildcard: Thanks for the link, though I find it questionable that he's been Batman since 1985 (film takes place 2 years after MOS), if Affleck's trainer said he's been Batman for only a decade.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The whole Avengers thing is flawed, see Guardians of The Galaxy, that is an alien invasion that make more sense.

Also this isnt DBZ, the character dont follow a code of honor, this guys are soldiers, not warriors, they fight for a flawed reason and only obey orders, they cant think by themselves.

Faora could be sexier that Vegeta, but Vegeta is smarter and has his own mind and own ideas.

Also taking the battle outside of any city, would still cause damage to planet earth and still will cause damage to humans, Dragon Ball explain all the damage they cause could be fixed, main reason why the moon was back after being destroyed, i think they even explain they didnt need the Dragon Ball to bring the moon back.

Also that is what Batman was doing during MOS final battle, he had more important things to do.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By redwingx

I hope it did. Gotham is a rotten place.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.