Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

"Bruce Wayne: The Road Home" - Breaking Down Batman's Suit Powers

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By roadbuster

Bruce is back and he's sporting a powered suit rather similar to those found in the Crysis videogame series (with perhaps a hint of Splinter Cell given the third-eye aspect) meaning a form-fitting bullet-proof bit of armor that grants select powers in separate bursts (not all powers at once and not sustainable). 

Designated modes: 

• HV - Heat vision, capable of slicing a car in two (requiring a 4 hour regeneration time); a 00.08% beam can fray bat-cape material with a 30s recharge time
    • SF - Speed Force, making Bruce faster (requiring a 12 hour regeneration time) 
    • Teleporter - Able to create a perimeter arc of at least three meters and carrying away multiple individuals 
    • WP - "Will Power" (maybe), firing red jagged explosive blasts from his fist or green spiraling blasts from his fist (the latter having a 24 hour regeneration time); a "PHWUNNT" sounding explosive blast also with a 24 hour regeneration time, Batgirl described as "Lantern Power".
    • CM - Camo, the ability to turn invisible, but substances getting on the invisible suit will still be visible.  Sustainable for substantial time and able to hit people without losing the cloak.  Deactivating the cloak has an audible "VNISZHHHH" sound.  Coming in and out of it can either sparkle or phase like a gradient.
    • SM - Activated when the lights went out... unclear what application (Dick was viewing him through night vision, no regeneration time listed) 
    • VL - On Bruce's HUD, unknown, but likely "Veritas Lasso" seen in the Outsiders book.
    • FM - Flight Mode, demonstrated in the Gordon issue.

Outsider Modes (some of these seem redundant with modes mentioned above and seem slightly less consistent... take with a grain of salt):
    • Veritas - Electrified lasso mode that needs to be deployed, clear Wonder Woman homage in the name "Truth". 
    • Spectral Filter - Able to resist Looker's mental psionic influence by eliminating external radiation. 
    • Acceleration - Able to go from flat on his back to flanking Katana with a knock-out chop... how this differs from SF mode? 
    • Cyclops - Red flash emanating from all three eyes takes out Looker again. 
    • Camo - Turns invisible, how does this differ from CM mode?
    • Concussion - A green flash with an effect similar to WP mode above and coming out of brightly lit ring.

Undesignated powers: 
    • Armored.
    • Either via superhearing or by hacking, Bruce can listen into Stephanie's earbud device. 
    • Infrared vision when looking at Dick and Damien fight. 
    • The suit's capabilities drain a lot of power. 
    • Shielding, implied, Geo Force is whaling away yet Bruce is still alive, conscious, and the only real consequence is that his suit's power reserves are critically low. 
    • Energy absorption and redirection, he takes a blast from Geo Force, uses it to charge his suit and unleash an attack.

Questions 
    What does SM mode do?  How compatible is the Batman concept in current DCU with power armor (we know it fits in Batman Beyond but is Iron Bat Man the next step or a step away)?  Will Batman keep the armor and how can he justify giving it up?  What does Batman having powers mean philosophically to the character... should he start gathering hero and villain tech to compliment the suit such as The Atom's belt? 

Thoughts and opinions?
    Dark Walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Dark Walker

Wait what?  Is this something you made up or is it actually in the comics (I haven't picked mine up yet).  Cause if it's in the comics...*urge to kill rising*  If this is something you've come up with that is pretty thought out.

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By roadbuster

No Caption Provided
    Reading more carefully now, Batgirl mentions the WP is Lantern power... but not sure how Bruce came up with the abbreviation "WP" for GL power.
    Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Sydpart2
    @Dark Walker said:
    " Wait what?  Is this something you made up or is it actually in the comics (I haven't picked mine up yet).  Cause if it's in the comics...*urge to kill rising*  If this is something you've come up with that is pretty thought out. "
    It's in the road home comics...I think the delays with return of Bruce Wayne and Batman and Robin kinda throw this off as far as making sense. If I were you I'd get a bunch of these, then wait till return of bw part 6 and B&R #15 come out before reading these...but that's just me
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By roadbuster

Another note... look how Bruce says "one-eighth" but the computer read out says "00.08%" (hm, improper decimal notation too).

Comic book writers ... not good at math. 

In this case I'd err on the side of the read-out because on the upper end of the Suit's feats, it was able to slice a car in-half... one eighth of that would not just be a "sunburn" as Bruce says (whereas 8 one-hundredths of a percent... or the max reduced by a factor of 0.0008... is more reasonable).

Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Demas

Guessing: WP = Will Power and VL = Veritas Lasso

Still in the dark about SM and FM.

We can reason backwards using the Justice League.  Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash... all accounted for with HV, VL, WP, and SF respectively.  Martian Manhunter could be CM.  The problem is the last League slot is far from stable: Aquaman, Atom, Hawkman, Firestorm, who? 

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By roadbuster
    @Demas: Good guesses, I'll update the OP.
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By roadbuster

Trivial update: Fabian Nicieza has addressed the similarity to the Crysis Nanosuit and using it as shorthand to describe his Insider suit:

It would probably have to be categorized as an INdirect rip-off, since I came up with the idea and did the initial design drawing -- and I have NO idea what this "Crysis suit" you're talking about is...
    -- fabian  

That's a cool suit. Never saw it before in my life until you posted it.
    -- fn 

Dark Walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Dark Walker

Okay, after reading the issue's my *urge to kill* has lowered.  It made sense somewhat just as long as he leaves it all behind when he takes back up the Batman mantel.  I'd like to know how he came across/designed this suit I hope that gets explained somewhere.  It would be cool to see someone take up "The Insider" persona, a suit like that should not go to waste.  As much as I am excited Bruce is going to return as Batman I wouldn't be pissed if he kept this persona and continued to test other heroes or train them.  That would be neat.  But I want him back as Batman more.  :))

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

I really don't like the new suit. Makes me think of Iron Man to be honest.

junkmasterzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By junkmasterzero

I actually hope it's not really Bruce.

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By weaponxx
    @Mainline:

This suite seems awesome!

Perhaps SM is Scanning Mode or Search Mode, purpose being of tracking someone or trying to locate something, or to do an analysis on an object or material. Perhaps it has these and other uses, but from what you said when it was used, I guess it is at least to track in the dark/see in the dark.
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Kairan1979

I hope we'll see the Insider Suit again. Even if Bruce isn't going to use it again, I'm sure there is a hero who can.

AmoralBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AmoralBatman
    @weaponx said:
    @Mainline: This suite seems awesome!Perhaps SM is Scanning Mode or Search Mode, purpose being of tracking someone or trying to locate something, or to do an analysis on an object or material. Perhaps it has these and other uses, but from what you said when it was used, I guess it is at least to track in the dark/see in the dark.
    Since it was activated after the lights went out, scanning mode would make the most sense. It could be stealth mode but that seems kinda redundant since it's the Goddamn Batman.
    weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By weaponxx
    @AmoralBatman: hahaha, indeed ;)
    super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By super_psycho

Badass

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By difficlus

Bye bye insider armor...

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By entropy_aegis

@difficlus said:

Bye bye insider armor...

Um rather obvious that he would'nt have kept it,he's a street level character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.