Bruce Wayne as a Lantern

Posted by cosmicx (102 posts) - - Show Bio

What if the ring chose Bruce Wayne as the next Green Lantern?

#1 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

There was an elseworlds tale about it called batman in darkest knight.

#2 Posted by Kesho_Ronin (209 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by Squalleon (3002 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not sure how Bats can be a GL!

It depends on the writer but since his parents death Bruce is powered by fear and obsession, two things that a GL must overcome!

Sure Bruce has willpower and imagination but this are not the only things that make a GL.

I really liked the issue of GL that show that Bruce couldn't become a Lantern because of him being stuck in the past!

Also there is an elseworlds with Bruce as GL

#4 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squalleon said:

It depends on the writer but since his parents death Bruce is powered by fear and obsession, two things that a GL must overcome!

Sure Bruce has willpower and imagination but this are not the only things that make a GL.

I really liked the issue of GL that show that Bruce couldn't become a Lantern because of him being stuck in the past!

That was also from the same run that said creating a construct was like passing a kidney stone. Makes you wonder why all those GLs would make fun and fanciful constructs just because. Don't take Geoff Johns work as gospel, 95% of the time, it's totally incorrect.  

Batman, as shown by the fact he wasn't in Blackest Night because the thing would have been over in 7 seconds, would make the most supreme GL ever. (Greatest willpower + greatest mind + imagination) But you can't have Bat Lantern, so he stays as he is. 
#5 Posted by Squalleon (3002 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

That was also from the same run that said creating a construct was like passing a kidney stone. Makes you wonder why all those GLs would make fun and fanciful constructs just because. Don't take Geoff Johns work as gospel, 95% of the time, it's totally incorrect. Batman, as shown by the fact he wasn't in Blackest Night because the thing would have been over in 7 seconds, would make the most supreme GL ever. (Greatest willpower + greatest mind + imagination) But you can't have Bat Lantern, so he stays as he is.

Look Fear was the opposite of Willpower since the 70s

Thats why i dont believe bats can be a GL!

Also thats why i said it depends on the writer.I read Johns GL run recently but i believed that bats can't be a Gl before than that.

#6 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squalleon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

That was also from the same run that said creating a construct was like passing a kidney stone. Makes you wonder why all those GLs would make fun and fanciful constructs just because. Don't take Geoff Johns work as gospel, 95% of the time, it's totally incorrect. Batman, as shown by the fact he wasn't in Blackest Night because the thing would have been over in 7 seconds, would make the most supreme GL ever. (Greatest willpower + greatest mind + imagination) But you can't have Bat Lantern, so he stays as he is.

Also thats why i said it depends on the writer.I read Johns GL run recently but i believed that bats can't be a Gl before than that.

Fear is an essential component of being a GL. You have to overcome fear. Which Bruce has.  

Unlike say, Hal Jordan, who went nuts and blew up Coast City.
#7 Posted by Squalleon (3002 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

Fear is an essential component of being a GL. You have to overcome fear. Which Bruce has. Unlike say, Hal Jordan, who went nuts and blew up Coast City.

You have a Hate for Jordan and a love of Bruce you are not objective!

Bruce never overcame fear, his fear powers him! Many of his stories show how he is stuck in that moment

From Morrison's Arkham Asylum to Miller's DKR!

#8 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squalleon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

Fear is an essential component of being a GL. You have to overcome fear. Which Bruce has. Unlike say, Hal Jordan, who went nuts and blew up Coast City.

Bruce never overcame fear, his fear powers him! Many of his stories show how he is stuck in that moment

I am objective, because I'm brilliant.  

And both of those stories are non-canon. Nice examples. 
#9 Posted by Squalleon (3002 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

I am objective, because I'm brilliant. And both of those stories are non-canon. Nice examples.

Nice argument!

Still they are critically acclaimed for grasping the core of the character

Let's stick to our opinions! Arguing through internet is the most boring thing you can do and i would prefer not to waste my time on that.

#10 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (11726 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

When did Hal blow up Coast City? Last time i checked that was Mongul and Hank Henshaw. and to be fair, Hal had been a GL for years before he let his fears get the better of him. There isnt anything to suggest that the same wouldn't have happened to say Bruce or Kyle if they had been in the same situation.

#11 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

When did Hal blow up Coast City? Last time i checked that was Mongul and Hank Henshaw. and to be fair, Hal had been a GL for years before he let his fears get the better of him. There isnt anything to suggest that the same wouldn't have happened to say Bruce or Kyle if they had been in the same situation.

Bah, sorry, mate. "Went nuts after Coast City blew up"  

Don't get me wrong, I love that he did that. I think it added a lot to his character, but he still did.  
#12 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11726 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

Bah, sorry, mate. "Went nuts after Coast City blew up" Don't get me wrong, I love that he did that. I think it added a lot to his character, but he still did.

No problem, just trying to keep things fair. It was you who convinced me that the thing that made that story good was the fact that it showed that even the best of heroes could be corrupted.

#13 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

Bah, sorry, mate. "Went nuts after Coast City blew up" Don't get me wrong, I love that he did that. I think it added a lot to his character, but he still did.

No problem, just trying to keep things fair. It was you who convinced me that the thing that made that story good was the fact that it showed that even the best of heroes could be corrupted.

Yep, you were right to correct me. All is good. 
#14 Edited by entropy_aegis (13616 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

Hating Hal Jordan should be rewarded lol but still your core argument is dismantled by the mere presence of Sinestro and Hank Henshaw/Cyborg Superman.By Johns own stupid logic the ring shouldn't work for them either. Also Morrison himself had Batman overcome his fear,that was much more recent than AA and TDKR Batman is the same as All-Star and DKSA Batman.

#15 Posted by Squalleon (3002 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@Squalleon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

Hating Hal Jordan should be rewarded lol but still your core argument is dismantled by the mere presence of Sinestro and Hank Henshaw/Cyborg Superman.By Johns own stupid logic the ring shouldn't work for them either.

I dont know if you are reffering to me but no my core logic works ok since to use a Sinestro corps ring you need to spread fear not to live in it.

And Sinestro is clearly different than Bruce!

Bruce lives in fear as i said and spreads it to his enemies he could be a SC but not a GL.

#16 Edited by entropy_aegis (13616 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Squalleon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

Hating Hal Jordan should be rewarded lol but still your core argument is dismantled by the mere presence of Sinestro and Hank Henshaw/Cyborg Superman.By Johns own stupid logic the ring shouldn't work for them either.

I dont know if you are reffering to me but no my core logic works ok since to use a Sinestro corps ring you need to spread fear not to live in it.

Bruce lives in fear as i said and spreads it to his enemies he could be a SC but not a GL.

What about Henshaw? he wants to die.The ring works for even a hopeless case like him(written by Johns no less) and Sinestro is worse than Bruce.

#17 Posted by Squalleon (3002 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@Squalleon said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Squalleon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon said:

What about Henshaw? he wants to die.The ring works for even a hopeless case like him(written by Johns no less) and Sinestro is worse than Bruce.

As i said the SC ring chooses people who can by the exact words "have the ability to instill great fear"

CS could,Sinestro could,Batman can, what exactly trouble you?

#18 Posted by entropy_aegis (13616 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon:I was referring to the GL ring,you said that Batman shouldn't be able to use it based on crappy Johns logic that he never heeded himself,Sinestro and CS being the chief examples of that.

#19 Posted by Squalleon (3002 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@Squalleon:I was referring to the GL ring,you said that Batman shouldn't be able to use it based on crappy Johns logic that he never heeded himself,Sinestro and CS being the chief examples of that.

What exactly does Sinestro fear?

its different to live in fear and to instill fear

#20 Posted by mk111 (3136 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Batman should get a blue ring, because he needs to chill sometimes.

#21 Posted by entropy_aegis (13616 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

@entropy_aegis said:

What exactly does Sinestro fear?

its different to live in fear and to instill fear

Hal was possessed by Parallax,Bruce was not.Speaking of possession Batman was also able to subdue Hunger,Supes and Diana failed against his siblings Pestilence and War.

So yes he can easily be a GL and GL Batman(Darkest Knight version) knew tricks that 2 different versions of Hal Jordan didn't.That Batman was actually able to harm Monarch,with a an attack Hal Boredom(x2) never even knew existed.The only other character who exceeded that was Superman Prime.

#22 Posted by Nightwing4 (348 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol at the page-long sets of quotes from the flame war. The reality is, give Bruce ANY of the powers of the other big time Leaguers and he stomps all competition. There wouldn't be a need for a JL, just SuperBat, or WonderBat, or Bat Lantern. Even if he couldn't be a GL, he could totally dominate with a Yellow Ring. There is a comic referencing this fact.

#23 Posted by Joygirl (15340 posts) - - Show Bio

Just give him a red ring. Let him release all the anger and hatred that he's been storing up and repressing for the last 80 years.

#24 Posted by sunhawk (550 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joygirl said:

Just give him a red ring. Let him release all the anger and hatred that he's been storing up and repressing for the last 80 years.

Red Lantern Batman kills the DC Universe

#25 Posted by Speedforce23 (35 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skewer: In the blackest night if I may correct you.

#26 Edited by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

^actually it is in darkest knight, I've seen the title of the book and its written by mike. W Barr the same one who wrote batman son of the demon.

#27 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1640 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon: I think you're wrong about Bruce not overcoming his fear. Batman instills fear, he doesn't live in fear. Do you have a scan (canon stories) that prove your statement? Part of his training was how to gain control of emotions and feelings. Having said that, I'd say he could become a GL, if a writer wanted to do this, but it wouldn't happen, cause Batman is all about Homo Universalis surpassing every obstacle and challenge in his way.

#28 Posted by Squalleon (3002 posts) - - Show Bio

@Phaedrusgr: In one of the early issues of Gl Batman couldn't wield the ring because he couldn't get over his past.

#29 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1640 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read the specific comic book, so I have fragmented knowledge on this. Did the writer of the specific story clarify that Bruce dwells on the past having fear in his heart cause of it? If yes, I have to say you have a point, but it depends on bad writing, if you ask me.

#30 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (4920 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Bruce should be a White Lantern like Kyle he does have all the emotional spectrums channeled

Green- Batman has great will power

Sinestro- Batman strikes alot of fear into people

Rage Red- Batman still has alot of rage about alot of things (his paarents, Jason and Damians deaths).

Pink love- Batmans love for Catwoman even though she is evil and cant be with him.

Blue hope- Batman hopes he can save Gotham even though he's just a man and cant do everything(idk I guessed on this one).

Compassion Indigo- Bruce Wayne is always thinking about the people of Gotham giving back and working his heart out(lol I got this from twelve angry men we watched it in class yestterday) theres not a dat that goes by that he doesnt try to better gotham

Aravice Orange- Batmans greed for saving Gotham cause he wants to avenge his parents death and his obsessive behavior(idk).

Are there any rings I'm forgetting.

#31 Posted by RustyRoy (9232 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Bruce should be a White Lantern like Kyle he does have all the emotional spectrums channeled

Green- Batman has great will power

Sinestro- Batman strikes alot of fear into people

Rage Red- Batman still has alot of rage about alot of things (his paarents, Jason and Damians deaths).

Pink love- Batmans love for Catwoman even though she is evil and cant be with him.

Blue hope- Batman hopes he can save Gotham even though he's just a man and cant do everything(idk I guessed on this one).

Compassion Indigo- Bruce Wayne is always thinking about the people of Gotham giving back and working his heart out(lol I got this from twelve angry men we watched it in class yestterday) theres not a dat that goes by that he doesnt try to better gotham

Aravice Orange- Batmans greed for saving Gotham cause he wants to avenge his parents death and his obsessive behavior(idk).

Are there any rings I'm forgetting.

I was going to say the same but you said it better than I could've.Bruce feels all kind of emotions and his emotions are probably stronger than anyone in the DC universe but he keeps them in control, hiding it from others. Also many people other than Bruce are better if not as much deserving as Hal - Dick, Lois, Wally, Barry, Tim, Clark ; Monks, Sadhus have greater willpower than average human, they overcame there fear their fears long ago and also have great imaginations. The only reason reason I can see Hal getting the ring is that the Ring had to chose from a definite area which was nearest and at a short span of time.

#32 Posted by Dernman (13992 posts) - - Show Bio

Eyeroll

#33 Posted by Mercy_ (92083 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's already been brought up, but Bruce would function better as part of the Sinestro Corps, imo.

#34 Posted by RustyRoy (9232 posts) - - Show Bio

Also there won't be any story to write if Bruce gets any of the Rings - No JL, no crimes, complete order and piece.

#35 Posted by DarkDay (492 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

Also there won't be any story to write if Bruce gets any of the Rings - No JL, no crimes, complete order and piece.

The man is obsessive and paranoid, that's not how that particular story ends. Oh he probably does quite alot of good. He saves Gotham, he inspires whatever Lantern value he finally falls under in people and depending on the value things are either better or worst. If good, he and the other heroes get along for awhile and there is peace, but at some point they're going to disagree. Doesn't matter about what or even when, but it happens, insert hero fight and Bruce probably loses his marbles (he probably wins the fight, but that suddenly isn't very important). More than likely Spectre gets his wish and ends up judging Batman.

#36 Edited by RustyRoy (9232 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkday said:

@rustyroy said:

The man is obsessive and paranoid, that's not how that particular story ends. Oh he probably does quite alot of good. He saves Gotham, he inspires whatever Lantern value he finally falls under in people and depending on the value things are either better or worst. If good, he and the other heroes get along for awhile and there is peace, but at some point they're going to disagree. Doesn't matter about what or even when, but it happens, insert hero fight and Bruce probably loses his marbles (he probably wins the fight, but that suddenly isn't very important). More than likely Spectre gets his wish and ends up judging Batman.

I was trying to make a joke. And even if he disagrees with others he won't fight them, he never makes the first move. Bruce is not obsessive or paranoid, he's rational, reasonable. He's a detective, he makes his moves based on strict facts, he's got strong principles. He follows the rule as much as he can.

#37 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman has every emontional spectrum in plenty.

Will- He managed to become a living legend even though he is just a man.

Fear-Batman plants fear in the hearts of criminals.

Love- Batman's love for human life.

Compassion- Batman cares for everyone.Even the ones who do not deserve it.

Avarice- Batman is arrogant and greedy.He wants to be the best.

Rage- Batman has lost his loved ones(His parents,his son etc)

Hope- He believes he can fight something that will never end.Crime.

#38 Posted by DarkDay (492 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@darkday said:

@rustyroy said:

I was trying to make a joke. And even if he disagrees with others he won't fight them, he never makes the first move. Bruce is not obsessive or paranoid, he's rational, reasonable. He's a detective, he makes his moves based on strict facts, he's got strong principles. He follows the rule as much as he can.

I apologize for not getting your joke then. But we're going to have to agree to disagree because while I agree that Bruce doesn't often make the first move, that doesn't stop him from being the cause of a great deal of trouble for his allies even if it is only inadvertently through the crime of omission. We've seen plenty of stories where Batman's secretive nature and paranoia come home to roost. Heck we just got done with one of those and are probably getting ready to start another.

Also all of that isn't to say that Bruce is never the aggressor, because lets be honest, he is when he thinks that he is right in his decision. His strong principles dictate that he do the "right" thing. If he thinks that Gotham is at risk, or that his future vision is the right one, Bruce will do whatever he has to do. Lets not pretend that because he has a no kill rule that means that everything he does is a love letter to his application for sainthood. Batman, the existence of Batman is a testament to Bruce's obsessiveness, he wants to give the world order and prevent the one great pain in his life from happening to anyone else but at the same time he's stuck in that moment helpless, unable to protect his parents, and maybe always will be. As for the paranoia, well I'd ask how many people Batman truly trusts? And of the ones you can think of, how many times has he kept secrets from them or outright lied? So yeah, he is paranoid and he is obsessive. Being a detective or logical doesn't make those things untrue nor are they mutually exclusive conditions.

#39 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2100 posts) - - Show Bio

he would kill everyone

#40 Edited by batshrine (962 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkday: I would say Paranoia is an irrational fear, or worry. Batman has never been irrational with any of his worries. Not trusting the world's most powerful hero's is very rational. Mind control, switching sides, betrayal, clones, etc are all possible and have happened in comics. Batman would be STUPID if he did not prepare.

Paranoid is Spiderman not telling his closest family like Aunt May his secret identity for no good reason. Lets see who Batman has trusted with his secret identity: Alfred, Leslie Thompkins, Lucius Fox, the Justice League, his sidekicks, etc.

As far as Batman, he could be every Lantern with ease. And he has been in some form green, yellow, and white.

#41 Posted by RustyRoy (9232 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkday said:

@rustyroy said:

@darkday said:

@rustyroy said:

I apologize for not getting your joke then. But we're going to have to agree to disagree because while I agree that Bruce doesn't often make the first move, that doesn't stop him from being the cause of a great deal of trouble for his allies even if it is only inadvertently through the crime of omission. We've seen plenty of stories where Batman's secretive nature and paranoia come home to roost. Heck we just got done with one of those and are probably getting ready to start another.

Also all of that isn't to say that Bruce is never the aggressor, because lets be honest, he is when he thinks that he is right in his decision. His strong principles dictate that he do the "right" thing. If he thinks that Gotham is at risk, or that his future vision is the right one, Bruce will do whatever he has to do. Lets not pretend that because he has a no kill rule that means that everything he does is a love letter to his application for sainthood. Batman, the existence of Batman is a testament to Bruce's obsessiveness, he wants to give the world order and prevent the one great pain in his life from happening to anyone else but at the same time he's stuck in that moment helpless, unable to protect his parents, and maybe always will be. As for the paranoia, well I'd ask how many people Batman truly trusts? And of the ones you can think of, how many times has he kept secrets from them or outright lied? So yeah, he is paranoid and he is obsessive. Being a detective or logical doesn't make those things untrue nor are they mutually exclusive conditions.

Sorry but I have to disagree, Bruce is not obsessive, he's just very dedicated. Paranoid? He's the most calm person in the league apart from MM, he plans for everything which is a smart thinking. Yes Bruce is a man of order but he is also the biggest supporter of free will. He knows the difference between right or wrong,so he won't harm any innocent person. He is always against using powers recklessly. He vision is also shared by other leaguers that's why they work with him, I don't see how a power ring will affect their relationship. And Batman does trust his team mates to a high extent and not trusting them fully is actually a good choice considering how things turnout in the comics. And the only major secret he kept from the league was his contingency plans against them which was necessary. Also he never attacked any leaguer if it wasn't needed. He isn't perfect and he does make mistakes but he also gives everything he has to right his wrongs. He has the potential to become a great lantern if not the greatest.

#42 Posted by UncleEmu (179 posts) - - Show Bio

1) Bruce does not live in fear - he inspires fear in others, and what exactly is he afraid of?

2) Batman is definitely paranoid. Maybe not the sorry-ass excuse of a Batman that Snyder writes for the New 52, but Batman was until very recently. He didn't even trust Jezebel Jet even though he had every reason to

3) Obsessive? He is more obsessive than he is paranoid, and that's saying something. The dude only takes microsleeps!

4) I'm not super familiar with GLs, but I doubt the midget dudes would want to give a ring to an obsessive paranoid person who has no qualms about breaking a few bones and getting down and dirty.

#43 Edited by M_Man (347 posts) - - Show Bio

If Bruce never overcame fear then scarecrow would have killed him long ago...

#44 Edited by DarkDay (492 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@darkday said:

@rustyroy said:

@darkday said:

@rustyroy said:

Sorry but I have to disagree, Bruce is not obsessive, he's just very dedicated. Paranoid? He's the most calm person in the league apart from MM, he plans for everything which is a smart thinking. Yes Bruce is a man of order but he is also the biggest supporter of free will. He knows the difference between right or wrong,so he won't harm any innocent person. He is always against using powers recklessly. He vision is also shared by other leaguers that's why they work with him, I don't see how a power ring will affect their relationship. And Batman does trust his team mates to a high extent and not trusting them fully is actually a good choice considering how things turnout in the comics. And the only major secret he kept from the league was his contingency plans against them which was necessary. Also he never attacked any leaguer if it wasn't needed. He isn't perfect and he does make mistakes but he also gives everything he has to right his wrongs. He has the potential to become a great lantern if not the greatest.

@darkday: I would say Paranoia is an irrational fear, or worry. Batman has never been irrational with any of his worries. Not trusting the world's most powerful hero's is very rational. Mind control, switching sides, betrayal, clones, etc are all possible and have happened in comics. Batman would be STUPID if he did not prepare.

Paranoid is Spiderman not telling his closest family like Aunt May his secret identity for no good reason. Lets see who Batman has trusted with his secret identity: Alfred, Leslie Thompkins, Lucius Fox, the Justice League, his sidekicks, etc.

As far as Batman, he could be every Lantern with ease. And he has been in some form green, yellow, and white.

I'll address these at the same time.

He's obsessive. Very much so. Very dedicated has a stopping point, obsessive does not. There is never a moment when Bruce Wayne is not Batman. He wakes up in the morning and he's Batman, that is assuming he actually does sleep and hasn't spent all that time instead being Batman. He doesn't take breaks, he has no hobbies, he literally has nothing else for the most part in his life. I don't know what you'd call that, but it is obsessive to most people. Also I'd point out that paranoia doesn't somehow magically make you a maniac or manic, paranoia isn't inherently linked to fear. Can paranoia lead to fear? Sure. Is it mandatory? No. Paranoia is unreasonable or extreme suspicion of others. Batman has it and in spades.

Let's look at it this way. You've said that Bruce having a plan against other heroes was smart thinking. I'd agree with you there for the most part except, inversely where are all these other plans that he should have? You know...like one for Lex Luthor? Or Zoom? Did Cheetah get one? Or anyone else that isn't a member of his rogues gallery? The answer there is no. The man created plans to take out his nearest allies before he came up with ones for threats that the League deal with one a weekly basis. Oh not paranoid enough you say? How about all the info he is always sharing with the rest of the Bat Family? Or even Alfred? Death of the Family wasn't the first story to play that tune, it's just the most recent. I'm going to say trusting someone with your secret identity doesn't exactly matter if you're unwilling to trust them with entire complex plots you are hatching in the shadows that may or may not mean the end of their lives. Or the lives of their friends or family.

Do I think his paranoia is sometimes or even often times justified? Yeah. They say it's not paranoia if they really are out to get you, but that's a lie because even being prepared like anything else can go into extremes and excess. It has gone there with Batman a few times and when that particular bomb blows he's not the only one that has or will be catching it with his face. Honestly, I'm not sure that he really trusts anyone and that my friends is paranoid. It also stinks of a messiah complex. After all no one else can do anything but him?

So I never said that he feels that power should be used irresponsibly or that he isn't just as idealistic in some ways as his fellow Leaguers but what I am saying is that his stopping point and their stopping point isn't the same, it is not even in the same building. I didn't say anything about him harming innocent people, my point is that if he thinks someone is wrong he is willing to do whatever he feels is necessary to stop them short of planning to kill them (at least so far). That's what he does with the criminals of Gotham and that's what he'd do with the heroes of the JLA. And if things go south then they are going really south and that's not even mentioning the fact that most of the emotional spectrum messes with your mind. If it isn't Green I wouldn't trust it and Batman would be the wrong guy to realize you'd made a mistake with. In alot of ways he and Sinestro aren't that different Sinestro was the best Green Lantern of his time and just like that he is suddenly their greatest threat. I'm not saying that this means that Batman follows that pattern but I am saying that it could happen and of all the things he might plan for, this isn't one of them. Mostly because Bruce's biggest blind spot will always be himself. He's not always self-aware and very rarely does he actually question his own motives.

#45 Posted by RustyRoy (9232 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkday said:

@rustyroy said:

@darkday said:

@rustyroy said:

@darkday said:

@rustyroy said:

@batshrine said:

He's obsessive. Very much so. Very dedicated has a stopping point, obsessive does not. There is never a moment when Bruce Wayne is not Batman. He wakes up in the morning and he's Batman, that is assuming he actually does sleep and hasn't spent all that time instead being Batman. He doesn't take breaks, he has no hobbies, he literally has nothing else for the most part in his life. I don't know what you'd call that, but it is obsessive to most people. Also I'd point out that paranoia doesn't somehow magically make you a maniac or manic, paranoia isn't inherently linked to fear. Can paranoia lead to fear? Sure. Is it mandatory? No. Paranoia is unreasonable or extreme suspicion of others. Batman has it and in spades.

Let's look at it this way. You've said that Bruce having a plan against other heroes was smart thinking. I'd agree with you there for the most part except, inversely where are all these other plans that he should have? You know...like one for Lex Luthor? Or Zoom? Did Cheetah get one? Or anyone else that isn't a member of his rogues gallery? The answer there is no. The man created plans to take out his nearest allies before he came up with ones for threats that the League deal with one a weekly basis. Oh not paranoid enough you say? How about all the info he is always sharing with the rest of the Bat Family? Or even Alfred? Death of the Family wasn't the first story to play that tune, it's just the most recent. I'm going to say trusting someone with your secret identity doesn't exactly matter if you're unwilling to trust them with entire complex plots you are hatching in the shadows that may or may not mean the end of their lives. Or the lives of their friends or family.

Do I think his paranoia is sometimes or even often times justified? Yeah. They say it's not paranoia if they really are out to get you, but that's a lie because even being prepared like anything else can go into extremes and excess. It has gone there with Batman a few times and when that particular bomb blows he's not the only one that has or will be catching it with his face. Honestly, I'm not sure that he really trusts anyone and that my friends is paranoid. It also stinks of a messiah complex. After all no one else can do anything but him?

So I never said that he feels that power should be used irresponsibly or that he isn't just as idealistic in some ways as his fellow Leaguers but what I am saying is that his stopping point and their stopping point isn't the same, it is not even in the same building. I didn't say anything about him harming innocent people, my point is that if he thinks someone is wrong he is willing to do whatever he feels is necessary to stop them short of planning to kill them (at least so far). That's what he does with the criminals of Gotham and that's what he'd do with the heroes of the JLA. And if things go south then they are going really south and that's not even mentioning the fact that most of the emotional spectrum messes with your mind. If it isn't Green I wouldn't trust it and Batman would be the wrong guy to realize you'd made a mistake with. In alot of ways he and Sinestro aren't that different Sinestro was the best Green Lantern of his time and just like that he is suddenly their greatest threat. I'm not saying that this means that Batman follows that pattern but I am saying that it could happen and of all the things he might plan for, this isn't one of them. Mostly because Bruce's biggest blind spot will always be himself. He's not always self-aware and very rarely does he actually question his own motives.

Clearly we see things very differently so I won't argue with you anymore and I have to say some of your points are very good though the last thing I want to say is Bruce is rational most of the times, he thinks straight, he doesn't usually make mistakes and he'd never in his right mind hurt the heroes. And yeah I agree Sinestro and Bruce are pretty much alike but I don't think he will cross the line the Sinestro did and as you said before, Sinestro was one of the best lanterns ever so if Bruce doesn't cross the line then he has the potential to become one of the best too. In the end it always comes down to the one thing that has always been speculated about Batman, will he cross the line? if he doesn't then he can become the best. If he does cross the line then he'll become a bigger threat than Sinestro and Hal ever was.

#46 Posted by DarkDay (492 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@darkday said:

@rustyroy said:

@darkday said:

@rustyroy said:

@darkday said:

@rustyroy said:

@batshrine said:

Clearly we see things very differently so I won't argue with you anymore and I have to say some of your points are very good though the last thing I want to say is Bruce is rational most of the times, he thinks straight, he doesn't usually make mistakes and he'd never in his right mind hurt the heroes. And yeah I agree Sinestro and Bruce are pretty much alike but I don't think he will cross the line the Sinestro did and as you said before, Sinestro was one of the best lanterns ever so if Bruce doesn't cross the line then he has the potential to become one of the best too. In the end it always comes down to the one thing that has always been speculated about Batman, will he cross the line? if he doesn't then he can become the best. If he does cross the line then he'll become a bigger threat than Sinestro and Hal ever was.

Well that's the beauty of comics when they're at their best. Fully realized and well written characters can have many interpretations from the same actions and much like real people you'll have people that agree with their decisions and others whom disagree. Hero and villain truly depend on your perspective and I for one love to look at some of my favorite characters and consider how they might be viewed both positively and negatively. I think that's why I've found Cyclops so very interesting in his latest character arc even if I don't agree with all the writing choices made. Also let me just say that at the end you captured my thoughts perfectly.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.