Black Mask Set To Appear In 'Batman: Arkham Origins'

• 62 results
Posted by No_Name_ (12593 posts) - - Show Bio

About a week ago we got some clues as to what we can expect to see in the upcoming Batman: Arkham Origins video game. The game, which is currently being developed by Warner Brother Games Montreal is scheduled to be released on October 25th, 2013. Aside from the basics about the game, and the news that Deathstroke will be among the adversaries players will have to face off against, there wasn't a whole lot of information about what the next game will be like, until earlier today, that is.

Game Informer unveiled yet another villain that will be causing some trouble for our favorite "Dark Knight" in Gotham City this fall: the Black Mask. The game's Creative Director Eric Holmes recently discussed the addition of the character to the cast of Batman: Arkham Origins as well as the extent of the role that Black Mask will play in the plot of the game. According to Holmes, Black Mask aka Roman Sionis, but how do you make a villain that isn't much of a household name seem compelling to fans of the Batman franchise?

“We realize that Black Mask is not necessarily as prominent in people’s minds as some other classic Batman villains, so we realize we also need to do work to explain why he’s really cool and make him felt in the game…It’s not something people bring a lot of baggage to when you see the Black Mask, so we have to do the work to make him scary.”

So how do they plan on making this Batman villain that is not yet a household name appear menacing enough of an adversary for our great "Dark Knight"? Simple: they make him the number one gang leader in Gotham who happens to have a real penchant for torture.

“Black Mask is new money. He’s rich. He’s very, very powerful. He’s made it. He’s known for being brutal and sadistic. And particularly at this point in the Arkham franchise he has enormous resources. He is the number one gang leader in Gotham. And has easily the most power in the city…His money primarily comes from the drug trade. Black Mask takes a perverse enjoyment from the pain he inflicts on the people of Gotham…His thing is torture. That is what gets his rocks off,” Holmes continues. “And he’s really good at it. The sadistic nature of Black Mask is a fun thing for us to play with – the lengths to which he’s willing to go to get what he wants,”

If that sounds interesting to you, then you will certainly have plenty to look forward to this October. What do you think of the addition of Black Mask to the rogues gallery in Batman: Arkham Origins? Do you think there might be some similarities between his character and Doctor Hugo Strange in Batman: Arkham City (2011)?

Source: Game Informer

#1 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (6516 posts) - - Show Bio

First. And he looks badass.

#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35159 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry but Warner Brother don't make good games, Rocksteady do.

#3 Posted by Mucklefluga (2602 posts) - - Show Bio

First

CONGRATULATIONS!!! (massive sarcasm of course)

I want Black Mask as the next Batman film villain!!

#4 Posted by LiveForever (312 posts) - - Show Bio

First

You are scum.

ANYWHO, any word on Kevin Conroy's involvement?

#5 Posted by Trevel8182 (754 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they do Black Mask justice, he's one of my favorite Batman villains.

#6 Posted by Lvenger (21246 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm trying to be hopeful about the new Arkham game but this is all I keep thinking. Why change an old engine if it's still running well for a new, untested engine that you're not sure will work?

#7 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2685 posts) - - Show Bio

BOOYAH!!!!!!!!

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35159 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I'm trying to be hopeful about the new Arkham game but this is all I keep thinking. Why change an old engine if it's still running well for a new, untested engine that you're not sure will work?

I'm looking at this from more a gamer perspective than a comic fan and I don't think it will turn out well. at best this game will be OK.

#9 Posted by Z3RO180 (6719 posts) - - Show Bio

How about instead of saying the game suck, we all wait to play the game first then judge it. Instead of bitching about it a full 6 months before the game is even out.

#10 Edited by dondave (38906 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks Cool

#11 Edited by Vulshock (159 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else think that could be Penguin and Dick Grayson in this picture?

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35159 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

How about instead of saying the game suck, we all wait to play the game first then judge it. Instead of bitching about it a full 6 months before the game is even out.

because WB are crap at making games, it isn't bitching it's being realistic.

#13 Posted by Z3RO180 (6719 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous so says one moaning person on the Internet

#14 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (35159 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

so says the general consensus of reputable video game review sites across the internet.

#15 Posted by batshrine (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

Does this make Black Mask one of the assassins?

#16 Posted by Z3RO180 (6719 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymus So instead of forming an own opinion your going to by reviews of past games and just assume that this game will suck even when it not set to hit stores till October ? Yeah that's a real good idea.

#17 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8062 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it

#18 Posted by The Average Bear (2079 posts) - - Show Bio

@vulshock said:

Good eye, man. I didn't think about that at all. Maybe it's Zucco? I also see that it looks like Penguin, but I was just thinking off histories. I love little cameos like this, if it is indeed what it is.

#19 Posted by Purgatory (37 posts) - - Show Bio

That mask looks like a mask. So I'm thinking the game will show how it melds with his face. Maybe.

I dunno. I don't want to see Penguin return. Sick of the returning villains. We need more villains in the Bat-games than Joker, Two-Face, and Penguin.

#20 Edited by Ninjablade09 (3194 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

Does this make Black Mask one of the assassins?

No Black Mask is the one's hiring the Assassins.

Edit: He put a bounty on Batman's head. So the assassins come to Gotham to find and kill him.

#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35159 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

@Jonny_Anonymus So instead of forming an own opinion your going to by reviews of past games and just assume that this game will suck even when it not set to hit stores till October ? Yeah that's a real good idea.

And why not? It's not hurting anybody. Anyway it's of my own opinion that the other game these guys made, Batman Arkham City: Armoured Edition, was really really bad.

#22 Posted by saoakden (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope we can fight Black Mask, that would be awesome!

#23 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35159 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

^^^

@z3ro180 said:

#24 Posted by thejman251 (435 posts) - - Show Bio

- I'd say that it's somewhat interesting however, i wouldn't call it a gamebreaker at the moment.

#25 Posted by Grey56 (744 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: One thing is for sure about your worries over WB getting this contract - money was heavily involved with the licensing for these properties. If I were a betting man I'd say Rocksteady originally was in the chute for the first game with the potential clause for a second. Beyond that - I bet that negotiations broke down for a third when the execs figured they could use an existing platform from RS to conduct the rest in house (as of course WB owns DC).

#26 Posted by kid Apollo (721 posts) - - Show Bio

makes sense he'd be in the game, especially when they left him out of AC aside from some nods to the companion comics. still waiting to see who else will be in the cast before i get too excited. im always a little worried when a decent game franchise is taken over by another group of creators.

#27 Posted by Equonox (968 posts) - - Show Bio

@vulshock said:

That is clearly Penguin, no doubt...the question is who's the young guy? Dick is a good guess, but it may just be a random (hopefully not Bruce...that would be too young)

#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35159 posts) - - Show Bio

makes sense he'd be in the game, especially when they left him out of AC aside from some nods to the companion comics. still waiting to see who else will be in the cast before i get too excited. im always a little worried when a decent game franchise is taken over by another group of creators.

Well BM was in Arkham City at the start of the game

#29 Posted by StMichalofWilson (4119 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2137 posts) - - Show Bio

"Simple: they make him the number one gang leader in Gotham who happens to have a real penchant for torture."

So.... they make him scary by not changing a single thing about him? I'm not saying that's wrong, it sounds like they do have a really good handle on the character, I just think the article, or they themselves, come across as giving them too much credit for 'making him scary' when all they're doing is writing him accurately. It's not some super original and game-changing reinterpretation of the character, its just him done right.

#31 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they do Black Mask justice, he's one of my favorite Batman villains.

This. If he's done well they win browny points with me. If it keeps the same gameplay as Arkham City then at least it will be good. I have hope for this game.

#32 Edited by JamDamage (1118 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Edited by blackcobalt (62 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by Mediumflyer7 (282 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno. I don't want to see Penguin return. Sick of the returning villains. We need more villains in the Bat-games than Joker, Two-Face, and Penguin.

I can second that although I would like to see Joker in this game. But I agree, they should spotlight on some other characters such a Anarchy and especially the Bat Family! A few of my friends didn't know there had been more then one robin and need major education in this!

#35 Posted by w0nd (4081 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

Because that would be logical

#36 Posted by Lvenger (21246 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by Mediumflyer7 (282 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder what other new characters they will bring in. I have a very strong feeling Katana will be in this game! I think its possible we will see Anarchy and/or Professor Pyg since they will be in the new Batman cartoon out this year.

#38 Posted by Mediumflyer7 (282 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking good, I think.

#39 Posted by Ninjablade09 (3194 posts) - - Show Bio

@mediumflyer7: Damn does he look menacing in that pick. The only problem I had with Arkham City, to me no one looked menacing. In Asylum they kind of did.

#40 Posted by Ghidoran (73 posts) - - Show Bio

The guy with Penguin is Albert Falcone. The GI article said as much.

#41 Posted by NightFang (10274 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Edited by dreamfall31 (579 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the first two games, so I hope this one is good too.

#43 Posted by AAmongul (24 posts) - - Show Bio

good for him finally getting credit as a great batman villian, which he always was

#44 Posted by thenexusrebound (250 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Rocksteady fully endorsed the team making this game. I doubt they would want their name smeared with an inferior product. Plus this team was given the engine they used, so it is pretty much fill in the blanks. Not re-inventing the wheel.

#45 Posted by CalebHara (2329 posts) - - Show Bio

This is nothing. Compared to the fact that DEATHSTROKE IS GOING TO BE IN THE GAME.

#46 Posted by AmazingWebHead (4495 posts) - - Show Bio

That reminds me, y'know what the one thing in Arkham City that let me down was? That them made him the freakin' boss of a challenge map campaign that practically had it's own story and came with downloading Robin (Tim Drake Robin, mind you), and not once did anyone ever bring up Stephanie.

#47 Posted by Edamame (28401 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome. :)

#48 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one who has the horrible feeling that they're going to build up Deathstroke as a big threat just to be made to look like a chump by Batman? ...again?

#49 Edited by kilomac29 (323 posts) - - Show Bio

Love Black Mask. Such an underrated villain. Nice to see him play a major role in the game. Next step, major villain in the next flick!

#50 Posted by MYadidas (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like fun can't wait to play it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.