Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23537 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Beware the Batman "Family" Discussion

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*Contains some spoilers*

Beware the Batman, can you please always open your episodes with Batman and Katana fighting a swarm of ninjas? Seriously, the plot could have nothing to do with the Lady Shiva and her organization, but a little dose of heroes vs. ninjas to kick things off never hurt anyone (except for the ninjas, but Shiva probably gives them great health insurance). As you've probably guessed by now, the latest episode, "Family," sees the return of Katana's story with the kryptonite green sword that absorbs souls (the Soultaker). Silver Monkey, a villain who will hopefully reappear someday in The New 52, is still power hungry and wants to get his hands on the weapon. So, the villain goes after Tatsu with a plot that'll force her to bring the sword directly to him.

There are two key things which make "Family" standout: a whole lot of rather awesome action and some shockingly out of character moments. The action delivers and then some. Already pointed out is a team-up against ninjas -- one which is really extensive, mind you, but we get to see a claustrophobic and quite intense rematch between Silver Monkey and Katana, and... LADY FREAKING SHIVA BUSTS A MOVE! She's not as formidable as I had hoped, but to be fair, it was two against one and she still held her own pretty well. Plus, a drugged Silver Monkey stumbling around and then breaking out superb form and swift attacks in an effort to save his own skin was a really nice treat as well.

No Caption Provided

"Wait, didn't you say there's shockingly out of character moments?!" Yes, and at the time, they made me exclaim, "Wait... WHAT?!" We're talking about the man whose secrets have secrets lashing out at Alfred and Katana for hiding something from him, after all. Then, he's somewhat randomly getting all intimidate with Ravencroft and seemingly trying to take the relationship to the next stage. I told myself there has to be something we're missing, and sure enough, it all makes sense in the end.

"Family" is a very satisfying episode. There's plenty of great fights and once again Bruce's capabilities as a detective get a good amount of respect. Most important of all, however, is this episode's cheer-inducing conclusion which has been slowly building up for quite some time now. There's so much this show has to offer. The (hopefully improved) return of various villains, the Gordon family dynamic, and now, Lady Shiva's front and center. Let's just hope they're able to juggle all of these elements with talent and continue to offer solid payoffs!

Viners, what did you think of "Family?" Give the comments section a piece of your mind.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1  Edited By Master_Thief

Great episode but poor ravencroft

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By MrMazz

Unsurpisngly the return of the League of Assassins means another great episode of Beware the Batman. This episode NEEDED to be a cold open ugg it would have been so much better with one.

Overall I think you are rating the action a bit higher than me. The Shiva Bat-Katana fight and carr fight between Monkey and Katana were great but eh them running threw loads of enimes felt kidna ephemeral to me.

Lady Shiva's character design is awesome. She looks like an actual character and everyone else looks like a toy.

more thoughts here in my user blog post

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Captain13

When is Black Lightning going to show up? That's all I really care about to be honest.

This was an okay episode.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Yeah I was angry at Bruce for being so snipply and rigid with Alfred at the beginning but the ending helped tie everything together for me. Great episode I think!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Eh I quit with this show. Waste of time.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By xblah_blahx

Ravencroft got what she deserved! You should never betray the GD Batman.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Great episode i really liked how Lady Shiva was more than a match for Batman and Katana.

Paul3001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Paul3001

Just finished the episode. Great show, I must admit I had my doubts about this show but it turned up great. Love the continuity aspect of the episodes.

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed it. Makes me optimistic about the future.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I liked it but why is Lady Shiva English? One Asian woman per series or something?

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lurkero

I have been enjoying the show so far, especially since I can't recall any other time the League of Assassins was included in an animated storyline. Makes this show feel original.

I have been a little annoyed by the close-up actions scenes though. Zoom out people!

LADY FREAKING SHIVA BUSTS A MOVE! She's not as formidable as I had hoped, but to be fair, it was two against one and she still held her own pretty well.

One good thing about this show so far is that nobody is overpowered. Both the good guys and bad guys are even during fights. It's weird when Batman fights people with no martial arts training, but when he's fighting ninjas it's pretty balanced. Balanced action is always more interesting to me than one-sided action.

@pokeysteve said:

I liked it but why is Lady Shiva English? One Asian woman per series or something?

Perhaps the same reason why Bane was English in The Dark Knight Rises? I think giving her an English accent is weird too.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@lurkero said:
    @pokeysteve said:

Perhaps the same reason why Bane was English in The Dark Knight Rises? I think giving her an English accent is weird too.

I liked Bane's voice in Rises. One of the only things I liked about Rises. It just seemed pointless to change her ethnicity. I can't wait to see more of her.

ectoborge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

this show is awesome!

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've really wanted to like this show but it's getting harder with each subsequent episode. The art and animation are okay but honestly the most impressive thing visually are the smoke effects. I'm also starting to think that the script is not very good. All the Bruce Wayne lines are well done but everyone else including Batman have to wrap their lips around such cringe inducing cheesy dialogue. That is a bizarre thing for a comic book fan to complain about since that's the bread and butter of comics. I just find it hard to take this show as seriously as it seems to take itself. My biggest problem with this show is that I'm not afraid of this version of Batman. I feel like even I could get away with crime in Gotham since Batman's really bad at chasing people. I'm seriously thinking about dropping this show after this episode. I've been unimpressed since the start.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the_stegman  Moderator

Eh, I'm on the fence about this show.

Avatar image for wonder_princess
    Wonder Princess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I really liked this episode. It was a nice little wrap up to the first story arc. I can not wait to see more of Lady Shiva!!! :)

TenEyedMen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent episode and a good kick in the pants to the show's story arcs.

Glad to see Katana finally joining Batman.

uberathlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enjoyed the episode.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By SupBatz

Decent episode. I liked that everything was tied together in the end. But my big issue with every episode of BtB so far has been that none of the episodes are truly memorable. Did I enjoy this while I watched? Sure. But it lacked the "Wow" factor that would make me want to rewatch someday.

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all those cheezy lines...

Chewblocka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is this show so far ? Havent watched a single episode yet and haven't heard anything crazy about it to make me want to...

Nighthound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Foot clan, is that you?

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is this show so far ? Havent watched a single episode yet and haven't heard anything crazy about it to make me want to...

Bruce goes out with an ugly gal, Katana is cross eyed, Alfred is bald and more useful than the hero, Batman only has corny one-liners, every villain escape at the end, Gotham City is a ghost town

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chewblocka said:

Bruce goes out with an ugly gal, Katana is cross eyed, Alfred is bald and more useful than the hero, Batman only has corny one-liners, every villain escape at the end, Gotham City is a ghost town

Nailed it.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28  Edited By Deranged Midget

The show is actually a lot better than I thought it would be. Great action, good animation, interesting plot development.

blastaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool episode. I like the show it's getting better. Lady Shiva kicks ass, and when is the Joker showing up?

TenEyedMen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty good. Starts out a bit slow but gets increasingly better. Only dud is episode three.

Chronicjihad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really, I have to say that it was the best episode so far. Animation is definitely getting better as well.

The team behind this show has a ton of talent and I hope they keep it up.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

lady shiva looking like barda lol but in pink. im fine with it only because her design looks so cool though that is not my shiva, also didnt like that she wasnt the fierce martial artist that she is suppose to be but.. even though katana got a lick in shiva just laughed it off showing hints of her holding back during that fight. hope to see more of her. it took awhile but ever since metamorpho the show has found its footing

Canderia718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The animation is not very good. They only animate the story characters and a few buildings. They cant even be bothered to make the world feel like its inhabited. Its like an animated version of playing with your action figures in a sandbox. Also the stories haven't really blown me away. Mostly D list villains.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I enjoyed this episode. The show is far from perfect and some episodes feel too standalone at times (this one excluded, of course), but I feel that with another season this series could become an a amazing show.

Still not sure how I feel about Katana being Batman's first partner, before even Robin, but I like that they're trying to do something new and different so I'll roll it.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

First episode I saw and I gotta say...wow. Pretty good!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the show, its different.

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chewblocka said:

probably the best comment in the bunch...Anyway the show is actually shaping up to be good and the last episode had some good moments IMHO.

danaandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By danaandra

Glad to see I'm not the only person who thought this was an awesome episode. I've been enjoying the series overall, but this one really hit a home run IMO.

gator4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've liked the series so far but this episode was by far the best one in my opinion. Got to see Katana and Batman in action together and it looks like more of that in the future.

Avatar image for goober_and_cindy
    Goober_and_Cindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Goober_and_Cindy

MagPie is still my favorite episode. She remindsme of Catwoman. But if they had shown more of Lady Shiva this might have been the best one.

ogg927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show is awesome! Silver Monkey, Magpie, Professor Pyg, Metamorpho, Katana, and Lady Shiva. I'm glad that they are using lesser known characters than the usual Joker, Catwoman and Riddler.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episode was my favorite of the season so far I can't wait to see the future interactions of Bruce and Katana now that she knows he is Batman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.