Best Line in a Batman Comic?

• 64 results
#1 Posted by Jakearoo (21 posts) - - Show Bio

What's the best line you've ever read in a Batman comic? This can be an internal monologue or actual dialogue, anything. I myself don't have an all-time favorite but I do love the line from Year One (after he has crashed the party about halfway through) "Ladies. Gentlemen. You have eaten well. You've eaten Gotham's wealth. It's spirit. Your feast is nearly over. From this moment on-none of you are safe."

#2 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by SoA (4838 posts) - - Show Bio

(to the Joker) "Hello. I came to talk. I've been thinking lately. About you and me. About what's going to happen to us in the end. We're going to kill each other, aren't we? Perhaps you'll kill me. Perhaps I'll kill you. Perhaps sooner. Perhaps later."- Batman : the killing joke

#4 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

In Batman: Gothic when the mobsters were asking Batman for protection, and he said, "You've turned this city into Hell. Now rot in it." Probably not the exact quote, but it was something close to that.

Oh, and I love The Dealer's whole monologue on how evil is what sets humans apart from other animals.

And Joker's speech in Killing Joke.

And this simple little gem... in "Joker" when Joker asked why Batman keeps his jaw exposed, but the rest of his face concealed, and Batman said, "To mock you." You won't get the full effect of that line without the full context, but it was great.

#5 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't quite think it's the best, but it's very memorable...

Joker - "No. I'm sorry, but... No. It's too late for that. Far too late. Hahaha. Y'know. It's funny... This situation. It reminds me of a joke... See. There were these two guys in a lunatic asylum and one night, one night they decide they don't like living in an asylum any more. They decide they're going to escape! So, like they get up onto the roof, and there, just across this narrow gap, they see the rooftops of the town, stretching away in the moonlight stretching away to freedom. Now, the first guy, he jumps right across with no problem. But his friend, his friend daredn't make the leap. Y'see... Y'see, he's afraid of falling. So then, the first guy has an idea... He says "Hey! I have my flashlight with me! I'll shine it across the gap between the buildings. You can walk along the beam and join me!" B-but the second guy just shakes his head. He suh-says... He says "Wh-what do you think I am? Crazy? You'd turn it off when I was half way across!" Ha ha ha ha ha! ha ha ha ha ha ha haaa... Fnfff Oh, do excuse me... ha ha ha ha ha!"

Batman - "Heh. Heh heh heh heh heh"

#6 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

"I know your secret."- Batman (in a note he wrote to a bunch of White Martians in Morrison's JLA)

#7 Posted by MasterDetective (834 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n said:

#8 Posted by entropy_aegis (15324 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jakearoo said:

What's the best line you've ever read in a Batman comic? This can be an internal monologue or actual dialogue, anything. I myself don't have an all-time favorite but I do love the line from Year One (after he has crashed the party about halfway through) "Ladies. Gentlemen. You have eaten well. You've eaten Gotham's wealth. It's spirit. Your feast is nearly over. From this moment on-none of you are safe."

Do you want Batman's lines specifically or can it be anyone?

Personally I lol'd when Dick said this to Jason

"Backstory,not interested" and then proceeded to smash his head.

#9 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

in batman and robin when Damian gets captured by dr.Pyg and hes like

"So.....Whos neck should i break first."

#10 Posted by TheRedRobin96 (334 posts) - - Show Bio

If we can use other Bat-Family titles, then mine is from Red Hood and the Outlaws when Jason is putting Crux in Arkham Asylum. Jasons innermonologe was "I know the difference between right and wrong, it's just sometimes wrong is easier."

#11 Posted by ogarza (124 posts) - - Show Bio

Kingdom Come: Batman- "So that's what it feels like."

#12 Edited by The_Tree (7483 posts) - - Show Bio

"Obvious variations aside, there's only one human body... 206 bones, five major organs, 60,000 miles of blood vessels. All it takes is time. Days. Months. Years, spent memorizing the finite ways there are to hurt and break a man. Preparing for all of them. I've escaped from every conceivable deathtrap. Ten Times. A dozen times. I can slow my breathing and metabolism to control panic and conserve air. Straitjacket's kindergarten. Locks, too. Benchpressing a pine coffin lid through 600 pounds of loose soil that's filling your mouth, crushing your lungs flat and shredding your dehydrated muscles? That's harder. But far from impossible." - Batman

#13 Posted by Cap10nate (2302 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n said:

What is this from?

#14 Posted by The_Tree (7483 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate said:

@r3d_rob1n said:

What is this from?

All Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder by Frank Miller and Jim Lee.

#15 Posted by Cap10nate (2302 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: Thank you very much

#16 Posted by MrShway88 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

Too many to list. but my favorite Batman line is

Batman: ...

#17 Posted by KraytRawk (628 posts) - - Show Bio

anything from this, but especially 2:09

#18 Posted by britsera (204 posts) - - Show Bio

"Ladies. Gentlemen. You have eaten well. You've eaten Gotham's wealth. Its spirit. Your feast is nearly over. From this moment on -- none of you are safe." (Year One). Not so much to actual quote, but the context. I mean, that took hours of prep, and Bats is just starting out here.

Also, anything he says in the Brave and Bold cartoon is lulzy. BUT...

"The hammers of JUSTICE are UNISEX! "

#19 Posted by InfamousFish (353 posts) - - Show Bio

@KraytRawk said:

This was awesome.

#20 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@KraytRawk said:

I want more...

#21 Posted by Jakearoo (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I think any Bat-Family or Bat-Universe character is welcome. I enjoy Jason Todd lines a bit too much...

#22 Posted by JayMar89 (91 posts) - - Show Bio

havent read the book but in the trailer for dkr the cop says you crippled that man and bats says hes young he'll walk again. bad ass

#23 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

This was probably the panel that sealed me into the fandom.

#24 Posted by britsera (204 posts) - - Show Bio

The video is from college humour. They've done a few videos with their 'Badman.' I like the one with two-face.

(Hopefully http://www.collegehumor.com/badmanlinks are allowed?)

#25 Posted by Red_Jack (285 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, none of my favourite lines are deep or clever, just ones that made me laugh. But it's usually the drawing that goes with it.

I've already posted this elsewhere but here it is again: -

Here's another one that made me laugh : -

#26 Posted by Russcovito (117 posts) - - Show Bio

I pretty like that one from the most recent Batman & Robin, after Batman hear how Robin get his ass kicked. I have to admit it's pretty emotional scene.

Batman's such a bad-ass :D

#27 Posted by Red_Jack (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Love that last line.

#28 Posted by nickzambuto (13699 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO the best Batman lines are the one's that show you the full limit of Batman's ability's, and what ability is Batman more known for than his detective skills? That's why this will always be my favorite line.

#29 Edited by britsera (204 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

IMO the best Batman lines are the one's that show you the full limit of Batman's ability's, and what ability is Batman more known for than his detective skills? That's why this will always be my favorite line.

There's a really funny demotivational around with that image.

BATMAN: World's greatest detective.

I was skipping through a few older comics. "HH" came up A LOT (What exactly is that anyway? It reads like the sound Sheldon Cooper makes when he laughs). It's gotta be like a slogan by now.

#30 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Now that we are getting on comedies :D

0:35 "I dress like a bat because I'm Batman"

#31 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite, or one of my favorites is from the Mad Love comic. "She almost had me you know. Arms and legs chained, my belt gone, dizzy from the blood rushing to my head. I had no way out other than convincing her to call you. I knew your massive ego would never allow anyone else the 'Honor' of killing me. Though I have to admit she came a lot closer than you ever did Puddn'"

I love that moment, so much insult to injury.

#32 Posted by Jodez (150 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: Lol where is that from?

#33 Posted by mzultan17 (33 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: What issue was that? I have read it before but can't for the life of me remember it.

#34 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jodez: @mzultan17: That's not from the comics. That is from BTAS. There is a graphic novelish version of it I think though. It's called Almost Got 'im or something similar and it is where Joker, Croc, Ivy, Two-Face, and I think Penguin are playing poker telling about stories where they almost got Batman. It turns out Bats is in disguise as Croc. It's a great story.

#35 Posted by serpent222 (319 posts) - - Show Bio

Thinking about it, most of my favorite lines are from the Joker. The number one is definitely the most iconic of them: "All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day."

Second (and third) comes in from Batman: Cacaphony: "But here's the cold, hard truth, Bats...I don't hate you 'cause I'm crazy. I'm crazy 'cause I hate you." Then, shortly after that, he concludes his conversation with Batman with: "Since we're being super truthful, I should also tell you I saw a little bit of your junk while you were changing."

And, one from outside of Batman, I actually really liked a moment in Red Robin, that kind of served as Drake's coming of age moment. After clashing with the League of Assassins and trying to stop Ra's Al Ghul, Ra's stops calling him "timothy" as he had been, and simply says: "Good luck, Detective."

#36 Posted by The_Tree (7483 posts) - - Show Bio

@mzultan17 said:

@The_Tree: What issue was that? I have read it before but can't for the life of me remember it.

The line I posted is from Batman: RIP, specifically Batman #681.

#37 Posted by Red_Jack (285 posts) - - Show Bio

@serpent222: I like The Jokers one liners too.

Here's another punchline from him, it's on the last panel: -

#38 Posted by Jdd895 (22 posts) - - Show Bio

From Green Lantern Corps Recharge. After Guy Gardner moons him Batman replies tell him he needs to shave

#39 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really a Batman comic but I liked the line where he puts the squeeze on Martian Manhunter in DC: The New Frontier:

Batman: [to John Jones] I'm not sure what you are or where you come from. But my instincts tell me you're to be trusted. Make no mistake, I have a $70,000 sliver of a radioactive meteor to stop the one from Metropolis. All I need for you is a penny for a book of matches.
#40 Posted by Jodez (150 posts) - - Show Bio

@serpent222 said:

And, one from outside of Batman, I actually really liked a moment in Red Robin, that kind of served as Drake's coming of age moment. After clashing with the League of Assassins and trying to stop Ra's Al Ghul, Ra's stops calling him "timothy" as he had been, and simply says: "Good luck, Detective."

Best moment of the entire series

#41 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman gets roofied.

#42 Posted by Red_Jack (285 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by sinestro_GL (3160 posts) - - Show Bio

"Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb"

#44 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n said:

Definitely is the " I am The God Damn Batman" LoL

#45 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

"Nothing harms me. But I know pain. I know pain. Sometimes I share it. With someone like you."

That is just the best Batman line you could muster.

#46 Posted by Black_Claw (2989 posts) - - Show Bio

"What are you?!"

"I'm Batman"

#47 Posted by BatWatch (2726 posts) - - Show Bio

@mpierce2690 said:

"Nothing harms me. But I know pain. I know pain. Sometimes I share it. With someone like you."

Good quote. I remember that line, but I can't place it. Where is it from?

#48 Posted by tomlikesfries (4670 posts) - - Show Bio

@PsychoKnights said:

@mpierce2690 said:

Year One

#49 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomlikesfries said:

@PsychoKnights said:

@mpierce2690 said:

Year One

What he said.

#50 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6184 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: what is that from

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.