Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Best current Batman comics other than Scott Snyder?

Avatar image for radioactivegazz
    RadioactiveGazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RadioactiveGazz

I just finished reading up on The Court of Owls, which I really really enjoyed. Has to be my favorite batman Story, and I am quite well read on Batman (at least by my standards.

I am also reading Detective Comics, which I am finding rather a lot less interesting, but good enough.

I hear from many corners of the internet that The Dark Knight comics suck, and are the worst, and from other places, I hear it is great. I also have heard nothing about Legends of the Dark Knight, I just know it exists. What are your opinions on these non-Snyder/Capullo Batmans and are there any I should be looking to pick up?

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Nightwing and Batgirl are pretty good bat books. But I hear the Dark Knight comic is not worth buying

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By the_tree

Batman & Robin = Great, I like it more than Batman.

Batman: The Dark Knight = It's a good series now that Gregg Hurwitz is writing, it's nice and dark.

Detective Comics = It sucks, wait until John Layman and Jason Fabok takeover.

Batman Incorporated = Weird, awesome, and epic. It's what's to be expected of Grant Morrison.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KnightRise

@RadioactiveGazz: . Batman Inc is definitely quirky with a totally different vibe, but its the quirks that make it work. Batman & Robin is really solid. Nightwing and Red Hood are too, and I hear the Dark Knight has improved. Apparently, Batwoman's first New 52 arc was amazing, but I guess its fallen off. No idea on Batwing, Batgirl, or Legends, Catwoman.

LuigiBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LuigiBat

Legends of the Dark Knight is quite good, worth buying.

Other worthwhile titles include; Nightwing,Batman & Robin, The Dark Knight (issue 10 onwards) and Red Hood.

Haven't read Batgirl or Batwoman.Batwing just seems to be awful and according to most people the comic is basically used as an excuse to have guest appearances by loads of other Bat-Family members because Batwing is incapable of doing anything on his own.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SupBatz

@RadioactiveGazz: If you're going to read Batman: The Dark Knight, probably best to start with issue 10. The writer changed and has supposedly improved the title.

Catwoman and Detective Comics, though I haven't read them consistantly, have received pretty mixed reviews. Both are getting new creative teams soon, however, so perhaps it'd be good to jump in when the writing changes.

Batman and Robin's first arc (issues 1-8) was great. The second arc hasn't been the best so far though.

Batwoman's first arc (issues 1-5 I believe) was great. I haven't read the second arc yet but I've heard it's not been great.

Most people seem to like Batgirl so you might want to give it a shot but I personally haven't been too in love with it.

Haven't read Nightwing or Batwing but I've heard good things about both.

And lastly, Batman Inc... I really don't like it. I'm just not a fan of Morrison's writing. Though a lot of people love it so if you've liked Morrison's Batman in the past then try picking up Batman Inc.

Edit: I forgot Birds of Prey. I liked the series at first but it has been getting worse as it's progressed. Also, there seems to be a lack of continuity between consecutive issues which irks me.

YMCMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By YMCMB

Batman Inc is just getting started again but it seems really cool and fun, it's the end of Morrison's run on Batman and I feel an epic finish coming, so I'd recommend it.

I've read a bit of Batman and Robin and I like what I've read so far, heard good things about it and I think I'm gonna start buying it monthly soon.

Detective Comics should get better in the next few months now that Tony Daniel's run is over, but no guarantees yet.

Batman: The Dark Knight sucked at first but I've heard it's got a new writer and has improved a lot,

Don't really know anything about Legend of TDK to be honest

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Imagine_Man15

The reason you're hearing mixed reviews about Dark Knight is because of the change in the creative team. At the beginning, it sucked... it was easily the worst bat-book around. But then, I believe around Issue 10, Greg Hurwitz took over, and suddenly the series became great. Hurwitz turned the book on its head, turning into, arguably, the darkest of all the bat-books and adding a real creep factor to the atmosphere.

Batman and Robin started strong... the first arc was great, but then the whole "Terminus/War of the Robins" arc was a letdown. If things don't pick up again in the next issue, I'm dropping the series.

Nightwing is great, definitely the best bat-book to not feature Batman (regularly). Batwoman was amazing when it started, but since then has really lost steam. Batgirl... I personally like it, but I don't like that they un-crippled Barbara Gordon, it just seems like taking a step backwards in character development. Batwing is very good for the most part, though a couple issues fall flat, but the great ones make up for it.

Oh, and Batman Incorporated... personally, I don't like it at all, but I know a lot of people who do. Its certainly different from the rest, its just a bit too cheesy for my tastes.

hoole100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hoole100

My Bat Rankings

1.Batman (Snyder)

2.Batman Incorporated (The story is heading in a great direction. Drink the Morrison Kool Aid.)

3.Batman & Robin (Amazing art. And a great father/son/dog story)

4. Nightwing (Solid title for fans of Grayson. Best of the Bat team B- List.)

5.Batman The Dark Knight (Starting to pick up the pace since the new creative team otherwise was just as bad as Detective Comics)

6. The Outlaws & Red Hood (More Red Hood please. People dont just read this for starfires t&a)

Detective comics is the most boring piece of garbage i have read in the new 52 this year. Which is a shame since it has some of the prettiest art i have seen this year. Aside from issue 1 and the joker part of issue 12 it has been a job in itself just to get through the boring slow story. Lets hope that the new rookie creative team can actually do something with this 4$ garbage.

hoole100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hoole100

@YMCMB said:

Batman Inc is just getting started again but it seems really cool and fun, it's the end of Morrison's run on Batman and I feel an epic finish coming, so I'd recommend it.

I've read a bit of Batman and Robin and I like what I've read so far, heard good things about it and I think I'm gonna start buying it monthly soon.

Detective Comics should get better in the next few months now that Tony Daniel's run is over, but no guarantees yet.

Batman: The Dark Knight sucked at first but I've heard it's got a new writer and has improved a lot,

Don't really know anything about Legend of TDK to be honest

Legends of the Dark Knight is a new Digital First/ Print Later series of One- Shots from different creative teams each week of stories that arent in the real batman canon. Elseworld tales and what not. But all the stories are extremely interesting and a fresh take on the universe. A lot of cool fresh creative teams too even people from showbiz. I think it will be printed soon in trade format or printed issues. Definitely worth looking at.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By TDK_1997

Batman and Robin is the second best Batman based book.Right after it is Nightwing and Batwoman.I also like Batman Incoporated and the new creative team The Dark Knight got.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.