Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Ben Affleck's Batman personality

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By frozen  Moderator

Considering that it's based on DKR, and confirmed to be mid-40's (slightly younger than the DKR Batman), his Batman should behave as the DKR Batman did. This includes:

• A highly cynical Batman
    • A much more brutal interpretation. Willing to cripple a man, throw a batarang into someone's eye or even disperse a round of rubber-bullets; but not out-right kill
    • Resourceful. In DKR, despite the Mutants being a group if killers/thugs, he used them for his own purposes (creating an army) rather than jailing them. In Batman vs Superman, Batfleck needs to be manipulative

The DKR Batman differs to the younger Batman due to his age; becoming more cynical, brutal and manipulative. I think that Batfleck will embody this character given Snyder's love for DKR.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well according to rumors I've read Affleck's Batman will be "very very rough" and his Bruce will be "a very social animal."

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

Considering that it's based on DKR, and confirmed to be mid-40's (slightly younger than the DKR Batman), his Batman should behave as the DKR Batman did. This includes:

• A highly cynical Batman
    • A much more brutal interpretation. Willing to cripple a man, throw a batarang into someone's eye or even disperse a round of rubber-bullets; but not out-right kill
    • Resourceful. In DKR, despite the Mutants being a group if killers/thugs, he used them for his own purposes (creating an army) rather than jailing them. In Batman vs Superman, Batfleck needs to be manipulative

The DKR Batman differs to the younger Batman due to his age; becoming more cynical, brutal and manipulative. I think that Batfleck will embody this character given Snyder's love for DKR.

No Caption Provided

That is one ugly son of a b*tch

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like that

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

I think he's gonna be very weathered. Someone who has been fighting the war in Gotham for years and knows what man (or super man) is capable of.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

A mix of TDKR, Kingdom Come and Futures End would be awesome.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DarthAznable

What we need is another Adam West.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for marcus_halberstram
    Marcus_Halberstram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A mixture of TDKR, JLU and Kingdom Come would be great.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDKR wasn't especially more manipulative.

I hope Batfleck isn't more brutal. Please, no rubber bullets.

I want a Batman who can demonstrate his gymnastic and martial arts prowess. Not a Batman needlessly brutal because the filmmakers are too lazy to flesh out the character to show contrast between him and Clark.

Batman1130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: this is a perfect way of putting it

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@muyjingo said:

I want a Batman who can demonstrate his gymnastic and martial arts prowess. Not a Batman needlessly brutal because the filmmakers are too lazy to flesh out the character to show contrast between him and Clark.

Why not? Batfleck is based on DKR Batman; and the rubber-bullets brutality aspect was in line with an older Batman. Also, he can still demonstrate martial-art prowess and be brutal.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much what the OP said. I don't want to see a 44-45 year old doing unnecessary flips, it's not needed. I want to see him breaking bones, throwing people threw windows and one hit KO's. Basically TDKR batman.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@muyjingo said:

Why not? Batfleck is based on DKR Batman; and the rubber-bullets brutality aspect was in line with an older Batman. Also, he can still demonstrate martial-art prowess and be brutal.

Batfleck is loosely inspired from TDKR, as far as we know only taking costume ideas, and the idea of having him be older.

However, TDKR Batman was at least 60, if not 70 or 75. He used rubber bullets against a freaking army. Batfleck, being less than 50, shouldn't have to resort to rubber bullets when dealing with ordinary street crime.

In this movie, I don't want to see Batman using any guns whatsoever, unless it's some sort of kryptonite beam thingy to use in his fight with Clark.

I want him to be scary and intimidating, but no more brutal than necessary. Otherwise, he is just being cruel, which is out of character.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@muyjingo: DKR Batman could not have been 70-75, that's way too old, Commissioner Gordon celebrated his 70th birthday in the same storyline so it wouldn't make sense for Bruce to be the same age/even older than Gordon. DKR Batman would have been 55 yeas old, maybe 60 (though that would make him 10 years younger than Gordon which doesn't seem right).

Now I'd like to see Batfleck cripple a thug (as he did in DKR), come seemingly close to killing but not actually doing it, but it seems we want different things from Batfleck; I personally hope he takes heavy inspiration from DKR, but who knows...

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Huh, 55. It's been so long since I read it, I really thought he was older.

Millers older Batman takes place in an alternate universe, where he was shown to be crueler than our earth prime Batman.

EP Batman isn't needlessly cruel or brutal. Look how many times he has reprimanded parts/sidekicks for being too cruel. He will be ruthlessly efficient when fighting, and threating to be intimidating, but in terms of actual phsyical harm? Only what is necessary.

I suspect you'll get your wish though.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@muyjingo: DKR Batman could not have been 70-75, that's way too old, Commissioner Gordon celebrated his 70th birthday in the same storyline so it wouldn't make sense for Bruce to be the same age/even older than Gordon. DKR Batman would have been 55 yeas old, maybe 60 (though that would make him 10 years younger than Gordon which doesn't seem right).

Now I'd like to see Batfleck cripple a thug (as he did in DKR) but it seems we want different things from Batfleck; I personally hope he takes heavy inspiration from DKR, but who knows...

Batman is 55 in Dark Knight Returns

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, please no flips or acobatics. Dude is 55. Well actually I'm not sure how old he is in the movie but he is supposed to be older, and don't want to have to pretend like Ben affleck can do that stuff. Its unnecessary.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 frozen  Moderator

@muyjingo said:

@frozen: Huh, 55. It's been so long since I read it, I really thought he was older.

Millers older Batman takes place in an alternate universe, where he was shown to be crueler than our earth prime Batman.

EP Batman isn't needlessly cruel or brutal. Look how many times he has reprimanded parts/sidekicks for being too cruel. He will be ruthlessly efficient when fighting, and threating to be intimidating, but in terms of actual phsyical harm? Only what is necessary.

55 sounds about right, though visually he looks older. But the artwork wasn't exactly the best.

Anyway his Batman does take place in an alternate Universe; but Year One takes place in both continuities (Pre-New 52 New Earth and Earth-31), which was basically the Post-Crisis Batman. Miller's Batman was definitely established as more brutal even as a younger man in All-Star Batman but I like to ignore that book because it is a piece of sh!t.

I wouldn't want him to be TOO cruel, but if there's anyone he'll be cruel to, it'll by Snyder's Superman. Given that he made Metropolis into a garbage can in Man of Steel, I can buy Batman giving him little pity if he beats him.

Maybe I will, maybe not --- keen to see what Snyder does with this Batman. I know the action will be great but I am more intrigued with characterization and mythos.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 frozen  Moderator

@kfabz-23 said:

Pretty much what the OP said. I don't want to see a 44-45 year old doing unnecessary flips, it's not needed. I want to see him breaking bones, throwing people threw windows and one hit KO's. Basically TDKR batman.

Batfleck looks huge in his photo; I can't imagine him doing flips, it would not suit him IMO. Instead, brutal and fast master-class striking would be awesome. A Batman that can punch through walls and break bones would be a fantastic fit.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@muyjingo said:

55 sounds about right, though visually he looks older. But the artwork wasn't exactly the best.

Anyway his Batman does take place in an alternate Universe; but Year One takes place in both continuities (Pre-New 52 New Earth and Earth-31), which was basically the Post-Crisis Batman. Miller's Batman was definitely established as more brutal even as a younger man in All-Star Batman but I like to ignore that book because it is a piece of sh!t.

I wouldn't want him to be TOO cruel, but if there's anyone he'll be cruel to, it'll by Snyder's Superman. Given that he made Metropolis into a garbage can in Man of Steel, I can buy Batman giving him little pity if he beats him.

Maybe I will, maybe not --- keen to see what Snyder does with this Batman. I know the action will be great but I am more intrigued with characterization and mythos.

I really doubt Batman will beat up Clark like you describe, and certainly not for the reason you describe. He is smart enough to Know Clark didn't intentionally cause the destruction and was trying to stop a bad guy.

I know that Y1 takes place in both continuities -- It's by far my favorite take on Batman's origin, and I was sad to see Snyder garble it so much.

All-star wasn't any worse then TDKSA, imo.

Snyder utterly fails with characterization, that's why I think it likely he will have this batman be brutal. He didn't do a great job at showing Clark's personality, and having a Batman who is brutal and violent gives him something to oppose. I believe that is the key method Snyder will use to differentiate them, since he isn't capable of doing so in more refined ways.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is always more brutal when he has no Robin. So if Batfleck won't have any Robin then his personality would fit with the one of Post Crisis Batman.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I hope he's more calculating than brutal. But if the latter's true I wouldn't really mind. I'm kind of scared though, if MoS Superman was capable of doing all of that in his own movie, I'm interested to see what Batman (a much darker and more cruel character) is capable of.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rogueshadow  Moderator

Yes, I agree. Brutal, but in a swift, highly efficient manner, I picture something like Rorschach in the prison scene where he throws oil into a guy's face and uses the plate to crack a guy, something like that, but at a higher skill level. I really enjoyed the scene in the Arkham Origins trailer wherein Batman viciously smashes a goon's face into those glass bulbs.

I actually hope there is an unrated edition in which Batman is just pure violence. I like the looser morality of TDKR Batman, his rule seems more like a psychotic obsession that sprouts from the murder of his parents more than a legitimate moral quandry in that version. I hope some of the psychological complexity from TDKR into Batman's character in the DCCU.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.