Battle for the Cowl worth getting?

#1 Posted by JoeEddie (484 posts) - - Show Bio

It's really cheap right now on Amazon and I was wondering if it is worth getting. I have seen some panels and it looks interesting.However, while I enjoy Tony Daniel's art, I did not like his run on the New 52 Detective Comics.Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Posted by Joelislegend (213 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Don't spent a dime on it. I loved the whole Batman dying thing but Battle for the cowl was a joke. Two face in a double Batsuit beating up Jason Todd in a Batsuit beating up Dick Grayson in the real Batsuit. Blargh. I really didn't like it.

#3 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I liked, it worth a read, IMO.

#4 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it was terrible

#5 Posted by JoeEddie (484 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joelislegend

@The_Lunact_And_Manic

@Stormbox

Thanks for the replies. Is it still in continuity?

#6 Posted by batshrine (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoeEddie: Its an interesting story. As far as it being "in continuity" thats a hard question to answer.

So here are some rule of thumb that I made.

Anything that came after Flashpoint is in continuity.

Everything else before it isn't or is in "limbo" until they mention it in our current continuity. So what we do know is that Bruce disappeared and Dick picked up the mantle. Dick and Jason also have had their disagreements in the past. The things not in continuity is that Tim Drake was Robin for part of Battle for the Cowl, and we know in DCnU he never was Robin, he was always Red Robin. So I would say is parts of it are in continuity, parts of it aren't. Is that a decent enough of an answer for you?

#7 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

no, its actually pretty bad

#8 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoeEddie: Sort of in continuity

Batshrine said it best

But yeah dude, dont buy it

#9 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

If you like Jason Todd's character at all stay away from it. I only bothered getting it personally because I felt it was an important event, and I wanted to see Tim vs Jason and Dick vs Jason.

#10 Posted by havoc1201 (522 posts) - - Show Bio

some of it is bad but it really lets you into why Dick picked up the Mantle of Batman I enjoyed that part of the story so if it is cheap i would pick it up because of Dick and if you liked Jason pre new 52 then you will enjoy his character. so it doesnt hurt to check it out.

#11 Posted by BatWatch (3086 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I've heard from people who have read it, no. From what I have heard about the plot, maybe. Will I personally get it? Yes, simply because it is an important arch for Tim Drake.

#12 Posted by JoeEddie (484 posts) - - Show Bio

@BatWatch said:

Yes, simply because it is an important arch for Tim Drake.

Yeah, but you are collecting every appearance of Tim lol

#13 Posted by Z3RO180 (6718 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoeEddie: yea its pretty good i would recommend it

#14 Posted by The_Tree (7979 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was pretty good. Out of all the s###ty books Tony Daniel has written, it's his one good work.

#15 Posted by TDK_1997 (15093 posts) - - Show Bio

It was one of the good stuff Tony Daniel wrote and I enjoyed it.

#16 Posted by JamesKM716 (1995 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

Well, I liked, it worth a read, IMO.

this

#17 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely terrible.

#18 Posted by Joelislegend (213 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997 said:

It was one of the good stuff Tony Daniel wrote and I enjoyed it.

Eeeeeeee. I know better than to steer clear of anything with his name on it. God damn his Batman run was horrible and lasted for much too long.

#19 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3487 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked this series. Understand why a lot of people may hate it. but I personally thought it was very fun, and showed how the Robins felt about the need for a Batman. I didn't mind Daniels Batman run up until he started Detective Comics. His art throughout his Batman work has however been phenomenal. I personally was more cheesed of by RIP, as you had to get Final Crisis to know what happened (although I liked RIP)

#20 Posted by BatWatch (3086 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoeEddie said:

@BatWatch said:

That's the goal, but it will probably take a lifetime considering how much time and money I now spend on current comics.

#21 Posted by Joelislegend (213 posts) - - Show Bio

@BatWatch said:

@JoeEddie said:

@BatWatch said:

That's the goal, but it will probably take a lifetime considering how much time and money I now spend on current comics.

Oh Wow! Good luck!! What's so great about Tim Drake? Honestly I never really liked him compared to Dick.

#22 Posted by JoeEddie (484 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joelislegend said:

@BatWatch said:

@JoeEddie said:

@BatWatch said:

Oh Wow! Good luck!! What's so great about Tim Drake? Honestly I never really liked him compared to Dick.

He is actually mine and several others on this board favorite Robin.

#23 Posted by havoc1201 (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoeEddie said:

@Joelislegend said:

@BatWatch said:

@JoeEddie said:

@BatWatch said:

he is by far my favorite robin

#24 Posted by batshrine (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

@havoc1201 said:

@JoeEddie said:

@Joelislegend said:

@BatWatch said:

@JoeEddie said:

@BatWatch said:

My favorite robin too! And BatWatch, my goal is similar only I am looking to have every appearance of Bruce Wayne (modern age and anything after)! So far I have completed 25% of comics, and a lot of the media.

#25 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

@havoc1201 said:

@JoeEddie said:

@Joelislegend said:

@BatWatch said:

@JoeEddie said:

@BatWatch said:

My favorite robin too! And BatWatch, my goal is similar only I am looking to have every appearance of Bruce Wayne (modern age and anything after)! So far I have completed 25% of comics, and a lot of the media.

Tim certainly has his share of fans. (I'm not one of them of course lol always been behind Nightwing myself, but I do like Tim as well)

NIce to see someone else with a similar goal to me. Though I personally don't know how far I plan to go with it. I'm looking to collect all of the runs on Modern Age Batman, and of course every issue of NIghtwing. I wouldn't mind getting some stories from the Silver Age as well if possible.

#26 Posted by havoc1201 (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nathaniel_Christopher said:

@batshrine said:

@havoc1201 said:

@JoeEddie said:

@Joelislegend said:

@BatWatch said:

@JoeEddie said:

@BatWatch said:

Tim certainly has his share of fans. (I'm not one of them of course lol always been behind Nightwing myself, but I do like Tim as well)

NIce to see someone else with a similar goal to me. Though I personally don't know how far I plan to go with it. I'm looking to collect all of the runs on Modern Age Batman, and of course every issue of NIghtwing. I wouldn't mind getting some stories from the Silver Age as well if possible.

ever since the new 52 i have been trying to give the new tim a chance but i have been reading a lot of Nightwing new and old and i really enjoy his series.

#27 Posted by batshrine (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

@havoc1201 said:

@batshrine said:

@havoc1201 said:

@JoeEddie said:

@Joelislegend said:

@BatWatch said:

@JoeEddie said:

@BatWatch said:

ever since the new 52 i have been trying to give the new tim a chance but i have been reading a lot of Nightwing new and old and i really enjoy his series.

Hopefully if someone takes over writing duties from Lobdell for TT then we can really see improvement in Tim's characterization.

And to Nathaniel_Christopher, dude thats awesome! And ya if I some how complete this impossible task (cause I am getting EVERY appearance of Batman, not just his series) Then I would be down to get Denny O'Neal and Neal Adams in my opinion are the true influences of getting Batman to where he is today so I would be down to collect their stories if I am done with Modern Age.

#28 Posted by havoc1201 (522 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine: @batshrine said:

@havoc1201 said:

@batshrine said:

@havoc1201 said:

@JoeEddie said:

@Joelislegend said:

@BatWatch said:

@JoeEddie said:

@BatWatch said:

Hopefully if someone takes over writing duties from Lobdell for TT then we can really see improvement in Tim's characterization.

And to Nathaniel_Christopher, dude thats awesome! And ya if I some how complete this impossible task (cause I am getting EVERY appearance of Batman, not just his series) Then I would be down to get Denny O'Neal and Neal Adams in my opinion are the true influences of getting Batman to where he is today so I would be down to collect their stories if I am done with Modern Age.

yeah sometimes i feel like lobdell changes characters just because he can and not to better the character in some way bc i have no clue what the point of changing Tim into a lesser and kinda selfess character in his origin. so maybe a new writer is what we need in order for the Tim we grew up with to return in some ways.

#29 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2146 posts) - - Show Bio

get R.I.P

#30 Posted by BatWatch (3086 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joelislegend said:

@BatWatch said:

@JoeEddie said:

@BatWatch said:

I always found him a character I could easily relate to. I liked how he was not that skilled at fighting and had to rely on his brain. He is one of the few teenage superheroes who had to deal with a home life. He had moral integrity in spades. He actually grows significantly over his arch. He was usually well written though there are some bad issues in the mix.

Nightwing is cool too. All the Robins have a warm place in my heart.

@JoeEddie:

Yes, Tim is awesome!

@havoc1201:

The rumor is that Lobdell is off Teen Titans, but that has not been confirmed in as far as I know. I agree that it sometimes feels like Lobdell changes things just because he can.

@batshrine:

Holy crap, BatShrine! That's a very ambitious goal. It makes mine look timid in comparison.

#31 Posted by batshrine (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

@Arkhamc1tizen said:

get R.I.P

Im going to disagree don't just get RIP or else you will be totally confused, get the entire Morrison run cause reading RIP by itself is going to just lead to question after question.

@BatWatch: Ya it is, I have a good amount of novels, and I have every box set imaginable. But I am getting any depiction of Batman modern age includes movies and shows and books too. So thats starts with Burton as far as movies goes. I can appreciate stuff form before, just don't get into it as much and I need to manage my task somehow! I am starting with graphic novels and then I will fill in the gaps with individual comics. It's fun though! :).

@havoc1201: So after reading many interviews with Lobdell, I don;t think he thinks he is doing it for changes sake. I honestly thinks that what he is doing is improving the characters and making them more "real". But clearly is point of view is skewed from the rest of society haha.

#32 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1687 posts) - - Show Bio

O_O Every appearance? I'm not going that far lol as there are some places he appears that i'm just not interested in. (Like some runs on the Justice League or the Outsiders)

I'm personally just collecting all the modern runs in the Batman titles, any cartoons, movies of course (Even the one with George lol) and after that i'll pick and choose from past ages, while looking at collecting other superheros like Iron Man and Flash.

And I agree. Don't just jump into Morrison's run by starting with R.I.P. You'll be extremely confused.

#33 Posted by BatWatch (3086 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

@Arkhamc1tizen said:

get R.I.P

Im going to disagree don't just get RIP or else you will be totally confused, get the entire Morrison run cause reading RIP by itself is going to just lead to question after question.

@BatWatch: Ya it is, I have a good amount of novels, and I have every box set imaginable. But I am getting any depiction of Batman modern age includes movies and shows and books too. So thats starts with Burton as far as movies goes. I can appreciate stuff form before, just don't get into it as much and I need to manage my task somehow! I am starting with graphic novels and then I will fill in the gaps with individual comics. It's fun though! :).

@havoc1201: So after reading many interviews with Lobdell, I don;t think he thinks he is doing it for changes sake. I honestly thinks that what he is doing is improving the characters and making them more "real". But clearly is point of view is skewed from the rest of society haha.

Crazy! Well, good luck to you. I hope you have lots of money.

I've been buying individual comics. I know trade are more economical, but there is something special about having the individual issues.

I actually enjoy Lobdell's personality from what I see in interviews. It looks like he gives the way he treats the characters a lot of thought and truly enjoys writing them, but yeah, Teen Titans sucks, and sometimes, it feels like he is just trying to destroy Tim.

For more news, reviews, and commentary, check out BatWatch.net

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.