Batman:The Killing Joke

#1 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1059 posts) - - Show Bio

I never read it so How good is the killing joke comic and what other batman comics are as good as it?

#2 Posted by havoc1201 (514 posts) - - Show Bio

the Killing joke is one of the most influentle comics in the past twenty years it made comics grew up in maturity and Nature it also is a great Joker story it shows how sick and twisted he can be, Check it out it is a must for Batman Fans, some other good stories are Year one, the long Halloween, Dark Victory, A death in the Family,Hush, Under the Red Hood, thats a good start at least there are some really great stories i didnt mention but i didnt want to overwhelm you lol.

#3 Posted by Onemoreposter (4057 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sci_Fi_Rulez: It's good. Overrated, but solid.

#4 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

@Onemoreposter said:

Summed up nicely. There are better books out there, but it's a defining moment in Batman history, and one that a lot of other arcs revolve around, including, in part, the DotF event. If you're a bat-fan you can't miss it.

#5 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I didn't like it.

#6 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Read it. now.

#7 Posted by NewComicGuy (130 posts) - - Show Bio

Tried to pick this up today but it wasn't available. Will look into the other ones. Really have been trying to pick up some of these memorable issues to gain some insight on the characters I enjoy reading.

#8 Edited by JoeEddie (484 posts) - - Show Bio

@NewComicGuy said:

Tried to pick this up today but it wasn't available. Will look into the other ones. Really have been trying to pick up some of these memorable issues to gain some insight on the characters I enjoy reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Killing-Joke-Deluxe-Edition/dp/1401216676/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358909535&sr=8-1&keywords=killing+joke

#9 Posted by NiKva (94 posts) - - Show Bio

@ImTheDamnBatman said:

@Onemoreposter said:

These would have to be my opinions, too.

I read it, because I thought it was like the 2nd coming of Jesus in comicbook form, but instead I was left with a disappointingly decent book.

#10 Posted by tupiaz (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

It is good. I had however kept my hype at some kind of normal level which it lived up to. it didn't blew me away worth a read. It clearly shows how sick the joker is and also shows the core of the relationship between Joker and Batman.

#11 Posted by roboadmiral (546 posts) - - Show Bio

@havoc1201 said:

the Killing joke is one of the most influentle comics in the past twenty years it made comics grew up in maturity and Nature it also is a great Joker story it shows how sick and twisted he can be, Check it out it is a must for Batman Fans, some other good stories are Year one, the long Halloween, Dark Victory, A death in the Family,Hush, Under the Red Hood, thats a good start at least there are some really great stories i didnt mention but i didnt want to overwhelm you lol.

This is pretty spot on. Most modern takes on the Batman/Joker relationship find their roots in The Killing Joke. If there's one serious omission in this guy's list it's The Dark Knight Returns.

#12 Posted by entropy_aegis (15324 posts) - - Show Bio

A real Joker story.

#13 Posted by munkieKONG (127 posts) - - Show Bio

So... Worst case scenario - it's good. Q answered?

#14 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

This comic touched a lot of other works. Barabara Gordon being in a wheel chair has been referenced in a lot of TAS series and is still mentioned today. Quotes from The Killing Joke was referenced in the 2005 Batman cartoon.

#15 Posted by Sci_Fi_Rulez (1059 posts) - - Show Bio

@havoc1201 said:

mention as much batman comics you want cos i want to know more about them so i can purchase them, I've been a batman fan sense i was as 3 years old..i want to buy batman comics that are worth buying.comics now and days are crappy and nothing but pictures.

#16 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1655 posts) - - Show Bio

Going to agree that it's decent, and created a new status quo. It's one of the best Batman/Joker stories out there, and I think a must read for any Bat fan, but it's certainly not the best story ever written.

#17 Posted by Onemoreposter (4057 posts) - - Show Bio

@NiKva said:

@ImTheDamnBatman said:

@Onemoreposter said:

These would have to be my opinions, too.

I read it, because I thought it was like the 2nd coming of Jesus in comicbook form, but instead I was left with a disappointingly decent book.

All my ex-girlfriends told me there was nothing wrong with disappointingly decent......

#18 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18079 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

Read it. now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.