Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman's voice in the Comics explained

• 68 results
    RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@frozen said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Conroy is overrated, giving Batman 2 distinct voices was his greatest contribution and both of them were admittedly great but he stopped after the Adventures of Batman and Robin, since then he's been using the same bland,monotonic voice.

I agree. His voice is completely overrated. It was very boring in the Injustice game. I think he stopped caring after after The New Batman Adventures and the monotone started with Batman Beyond. However it was very good in TAS; though his voice can't really extend to live action IMO.

I prefer Bruce Greenwood and Peter Weller over current Conroy.

Yeah Peter Weller and Bruce Greenwood did a great job. I also like Diedrich Bader.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#52 frozen  Moderator

@muyjingo said:

@frozen said:

@muyjingo: Yes I have. It's not only stated to be a growl (and a deep one too) but it's been described as razor-like and rough (razor-like should be enough to solidify the point).

You're wrong on your second point. Christian Bale used his Batman Begins voice for all three films but Nolan edited it in post-production in TDK and TDKR.

You Haven't. Your trying to argue that is objectively correct, and it's not since everyone has a different interpretation.

To me, Bale's voice doesn't sound razor like at all. Razor's are sharp. His sounds throaty and congested.

As for my second point, here is a link supporting part of what I am saying: http://badassdigest.com/2013/11/18/christian-bales-wife-thought-his-batman-voice-was-stupid/

It doesn't say that Nolan didn't like the voice but Bale insisted on it as needed it to "become a beast", which was in the original story I read.

Yes I have; all those descriptions are very close to Bale's voice. It doesn't get much clearer - and a razor is sharp object, it's also a very loud and noisy.

Your second link doesn't support your stance. Bale's voice in Batman Begins was much, much lighter in tone - Bale used that same voice for TDK and TDKR, Nolan edited THAT voice in Begins to equate to what you heard in TDK and TDKR; the voice in the Begins was slightly growly so it was distinct. Furthermore, Batman is a beast, or atleast how Bale described him as (to which I can understand his viewpoint).

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By frozen  Moderator
    @frozen said:

@symbioticspider-man said:

Kevin Conroy is always the voice of Batman. If it says cold, it's Conroy. If it says harder than steel, it's Conroy. If it says throat cancer, it's Bale.

Kevin Conroy is the animated/game portrayal. His description isn't met with the scans from the OP (both Keaton and Bale are).

Conroy's voice would not work in a live action film whatsoever.

It's Kevin Conroy's portrayal, not just the raw voice itself. I really can't think of a way to describe it besides raw confidence, and that just screams Batman to me.

I do like the descriptions of "cold and softly muttering", but I don't think Keaton really nailed it.

I've seen Conroy's voice mixed with scenes from The Dark Knight and it just sounds flat. I do like his voice (and his portrayal peaked in JL/JLU character wise, not voice). But I do prefer Weller, Ironside and Greenwood.

@erik said:

@frozen: There was another one fairly recently. I can't remember the issue but Tim was telling someone else to add the gravely voice when they wore the Batman costume. I want to say it was Dick.

Very interesting, thanks. Do you happen to have scans or know where you saw them?

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: They should've left his voice the way it was in Batman Begins. Why they edited it to sound so stupid is beyond me.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:
    @nickzambuto said:
    @frozen said:

@symbioticspider-man said:

Kevin Conroy is always the voice of Batman. If it says cold, it's Conroy. If it says harder than steel, it's Conroy. If it says throat cancer, it's Bale.

Kevin Conroy is the animated/game portrayal. His description isn't met with the scans from the OP (both Keaton and Bale are).

Conroy's voice would not work in a live action film whatsoever.

It's Kevin Conroy's portrayal, not just the raw voice itself. I really can't think of a way to describe it besides raw confidence, and that just screams Batman to me.

I do like the descriptions of "cold and softly muttering", but I don't think Keaton really nailed it.

I've seen Conroy's voice mixed with scenes from The Dark Knight and it just sounds flat. I do like his voice (and his portrayal peaked in JL/JLU character wise, not voice). But I do prefer Weller, Ironside and Greenwood.

Well that's not his fault, you can't just stick a voice made for a specific medium, with a specific tone and context and expect it to fit into something completely different. I guarantee Christian Bale's voice wouldn't sound good in Arkham, nor Ironside fit into JLU, etc.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 frozen  Moderator

@nickzambuto: Why can Ironside not fit with JLU? He played Darkseid in JLU and his Darkseid voice could have been used for Batman. I'm fine with Bale's voice as it's been described simarily in the comics; my initial comment was that I do not think Conroy's voice could work in live-action.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@frozen said:
    @erik said:

@frozen: There was another one fairly recently. I can't remember the issue but Tim was telling someone else to add the gravely voice when they wore the Batman costume. I want to say it was Dick.

Very interesting, thanks. Do you happen to have scans or know where you saw them?

I wish because I needed it for a debate a while ago. I'm about 80% certain is was when Dick donned the cowl.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@nickzambuto: Why can Ironside not fit with JLU? He played Darkseid in JLU and his Darkseid voice could have been used for Batman. I'm fine with Bale's voice as it's been described simarily in the comics; my initial comment was that I do not think Conroy's voice could work in live-action.

In that case we just have different opinions, there's nothing to really debate about. Agree to disagree :)

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope they don't start describing his voice as an angry Ben Affleck from now on.

ManofSteel45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha, typical retarded Bale apologist I see. Conroy himself mocked that dumb inbred voice of Bale's.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@manofsteel45 said:

Haha, typical retarded Bale apologist I see. Conroy himself mocked that dumb inbred voice of Bale's.

Flagged.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By MuyJingo

@frozen said:

Yes I have; all those descriptions are very close to Bale's voice. It doesn't get much clearer - and a razor is sharp object, it's also a very loud and noisy.

You haven't, its not an objective thing. There may be a consensus, but that consensus isn't that Bale's voice is razor like. It's kind of a stretch to argue that the writer was thinking of an electric razor when he was writing the description.

Your second link doesn't support your stance. Bale's voice in Batman Begins was much, much lighter in tone - Bale used that same voice for TDK and TDKR, Nolan edited THAT voice in Begins to equate to what you heard in TDK and TDKR; the voice in the Begins was slightly growly so it was distinct. Furthermore, Batman is a beast, or atleast how Bale described him as (to which I can understand his viewpoint).

When I posted the link, I noted it doesn't fully support the claim I made. I'm aware the voice was edited. Point was, Bale did it as a form of method acting. It had nothing to do with an obscure description of his voice in a comic book, and if it had it certainly wouldn't have sounded how it does. Unless for some reason he took razor to mean "unusually loud electric razor".

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By entropy_aegis

@manofsteel45 said:

Typical Conroy fanboy.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 frozen  Moderator

Bump.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By sinestro_GL
    Loading Video...

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
    captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nice on, but seriously, DC needs to describe batman's voice that it sounds like Kevin Conroy. Kevin Conroy did a perfect job with Batman's voice, especially in the arkham series. When I watched the batman arkham knight gameplay from E3, I was waiting for Conroy's voice and when I heard it, it was terrific.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

For me, Conroy is the voice of Batman in most situations, especially his Bruce Wayne voice when he's out of costume but admittedly he does get monotonous sometimes as Batman. However, when he's interrogating someone, I can't help but use Bale's growling voice, especially if he's yelling "Where is he?!". In the first issue of "The Big Burn" story arc from the Batman & Robin/Two-Face series, there was a page where Batman repeatedly yells"Where is it?! When is it?!", and honestly I was unable to read it in anything other than Bale's voice. And Conroy's voice can work in live action, a while back he appeared on the Daly Show, along with Tim Daly (voice of TAS Superman), and he used his Batman voice saying the "The one man who beat you" line from TDKR. It was less cartoony but it was just as intimidating and effective.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.