Batman's fighting style

Posted by comicace3 (6593 posts) - - Show Bio

Does Batman have a particular fighting style? I mean spiderman has his little way of the spider and cap. has his fighting style. Shouldn't Batman have an ultimate fighting style given the fact that he is the master of all martial arts? He knows every fighting styles strengths and weaknesses so he should probably create his own.

#1 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

His fighting style is every fighting style.

#2 Posted by Mediumguy (166 posts) - - Show Bio

His main fighting style is Pain-Fu.

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (24728 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't use a specific style, he uses what ever works

#4 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

He basically uses whatever is most efficient and achieves the desired effect, analyzing what his opponent is doing, deciding upon the end result he wants, then selecting a move from his vast repertoire of known martial arts a technique that results in that outcome.

#5 Edited by britsera (204 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman uses techniques from 100+ disciplines. BUT, he does have a style.

It's hard, fast and stealthy, based around him tanking as few hits as possible while causing the greatest amount of damage. Its about controlling the situation and adapting faster than the other guy to things that change - i.e. just the sort of style you'd expect from Bruce's personality. It's very different from Supes (tank and punch until it dies), WW (rush in and try to pwn it hard) and Flash (avoid, avoid, avoid, taunt, big fast hit). Its even different from NW, who tends to be more acrobatic and flashy.

(This is why I loved DC animation, because you can show this sort of characterization easily - even JL and JLU had stylistic differences between the founders).

#6 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12529 posts) - - Show Bio

Nolan Batman used a modern style called Keysi(Pretty damn underrated style), but for being honest, Jeet Kune Do sounds pretty much the idea that Batman has about martial arts.

For people who dont understand, Jeet Kune Do is not an style is a philosophy about using the thing that work for you and make it as simple as you can.

#7 Posted by Alexander505 (2177 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman uses a mixture of over 100 different styles of fighting.

#8 Posted by utkanflash (466 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

He basically uses whatever is most efficient and achieves the desired effect, analyzing what his opponent is doing, deciding upon the end result he wants, then selecting a move from his vast repertoire of known martial arts a technique that results in that outcome.

THIS ;)

#9 Posted by ZEELLO (223 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

He basically uses whatever is most efficient and achieves the desired effect, analyzing what his opponent is doing, deciding upon the end result he wants, then selecting a move from his vast repertoire of known martial arts a technique that results in that outcome.

This doesn't sound practical to me. Even if it was possible for a human to do that, I don't see how Batman of all people would find it practical to do this. He probably has a preferred style or combination of styles/moves that he keeps on hand mentally.

Personally I figure that part of mastery is efficiency. To use all styles would be going out of your way to do so, when in the heat of battle there are vastly more important things to worry about.

#10 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12529 posts) - - Show Bio

To be a master of one style of martial arts means train more that 3 hours everyday for 10 years.

If Batman is a master in 100 styles, it means he should be over 1000 years old.

#11 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15127 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

To be a master of one style of martial arts means train more that 3 hours everyday for 10 years.

If Batman is a master in 100 styles, it means he should be over 1000 years old.

How do you know he isn't 1000 years old?

#12 Posted by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective said:

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

To be a master of one style of martial arts means train more that 3 hours everyday for 10 years.

If Batman is a master in 100 styles, it means he should be over 1000 years old.

How do you know he isn't 1000 years old?

Im pretty sure he is older than that, Batman is the embodiment of awesome, isnt that like one of the cosmics?

#13 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15127 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skunkstein said:

@DarkKnightDetective said:

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

To be a master of one style of martial arts means train more that 3 hours everyday for 10 years.

If Batman is a master in 100 styles, it means he should be over 1000 years old.

How do you know he isn't 1000 years old?

Im pretty sure he is older than that, Batman is the embodiment of awesome, isnt that like one of the cosmics?

I mean he did make the Spectre cry his way back to hell.

#14 Posted by BerkayBilge (1 posts) - - Show Bio

batman have a particular fighting style is ninjutsu

#15 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12529 posts) - - Show Bio

@BerkayBilge said:

batman have a particular fighting style is ninjutsu

Ninjutsu (忍術) sometimes used interchangeably with the term ninpō (忍法) is the martial art, strategy, and tactics of unconventional warfare and guerrilla warfareas well as the art of espionage.

People should learn that Ninjutsu is something bigger that just a fighting style.

#16 Posted by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective said:

@Skunkstein said:

@DarkKnightDetective said:

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

To be a master of one style of martial arts means train more that 3 hours everyday for 10 years.

If Batman is a master in 100 styles, it means he should be over 1000 years old.

How do you know he isn't 1000 years old?

Im pretty sure he is older than that, Batman is the embodiment of awesome, isnt that like one of the cosmics?

I mean he did make the Spectre cry his way back to hell.

I would very much like to shake Batmans hand.

#17 Posted by BatWatch (3038 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be interesting if DC put out a book which used the various images from the comic and compared them to the real life fighting styles. I know most of the time, artists aren't actually using specific styles, but I'm sure someone with enough martial arts knowledge would be able to identify them. It could give insights into the various styles, give a little history, maybe make up a little about where Bruce learned them and who he learned them from. I would buy that book if it were well done.

#18 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35016 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman does not know all styles of martial arts

#19 Posted by Darksider555 (430 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Batman does not know all styles of martial arts

well he knows 271 martial arts...

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35016 posts) - - Show Bio

@Darksider555 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Batman does not know all styles of martial arts

well he knows 271 martial arts...

well that certainly isn't anywhere near all of them

#21 Posted by Darksider555 (430 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Darksider555 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Batman does not know all styles of martial arts

well he knows 271 martial arts...

well that certainly isn't anywhere near all of them

true,but still that is a lot of them,even pro fighters dont know that many.

#22 Posted by Billy Batson (58319 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't it 127? :/
BB

#23 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35016 posts) - - Show Bio

@Darksider555 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Darksider555 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Batman does not know all styles of martial arts

well he knows 271 martial arts...

well that certainly isn't anywhere near all of them

true,but still that is a lot of them,even pro fighters dont know that many.

yea it's kind of redundant

#24 Posted by Darksider555 (430 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: agreed,but he feels it is neccecary,but i think it is a bit overkill

#25 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12529 posts) - - Show Bio

271 styles*10 years= 2710 years old Batman

127 styles *10 years = 1270 years old Batman

Wow, Batman should be really old.

Also there is over 400 well known styles of Karate, those are the most popular styles of Karate, so Batman is not even close to know every style of japanese martial arts.

So batman dont know all the styles.

#26 Posted by matchesmalone21 (9182 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicace3:

His primary form of combat is an idiosyncratic admixture of Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Muay Thai, Dragon Style Kung Fu, Boxing, Jujitsu, and Ninjitsu.

#27 Posted by Lvenger (21213 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000: This is comic books we're talking about. People can fly, bend steel, create technology decades, even centuries ahead of what we know isn't possible. So Batman knowing 127 styles of martial arts isn't that big a deal. You are supposed to partly suspend belief whilst reading any comic book, even a Batman one. Besides I think he created a style which blends aspects of a whole bunch of them together.

#28 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

In the Nolan films he uses a technique called keysi fighting method(KFM). Here's a video for more info. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Slhs6KNuMv4

#29 Edited by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice watched the video, interesting!

#30 Posted by Saucedo17 (135 posts) - - Show Bio

Well he punches like a pro boxer, kicks like a tae kwon do master, uses momentum against his enemy's like a judo master, can get a good grip on you like a jiu jitsu master, and knows every human pressure points like ninjustsu master, so it's really whatever relevant to the current situation his in.

#31 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12529 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@DeathpooltheT1000: This is comic books we're talking about. People can fly, bend steel, create technology decades, even centuries ahead of what we know isn't possible. So Batman knowing 127 styles of martial arts isn't that big a deal. You are supposed to partly suspend belief whilst reading any comic book, even a Batman one. Besides I think he created a style which blends aspects of a whole bunch of them together.

Comics still need you to think Batman is in some level human, take the fact 127 styles thing shows the fact that people who writte the comics have no idea about martial arts, since pretty much say that Batman train 30 styles would work, still sound like the guy train like crazy and the number dont sound random and insane, also he had to train other thing besides Martial arts, so havin over 100 styles, make sound like if he only train to fight.

Time for a Bruce Lee quote.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times"

Someone who practices 10,000 different kicks only one time each may (theoretically) have a wide range of knowledge but his execution of each kick will be sloppy and ineffective secondary to lack of serious practice and study of the correct use of each one.

Someone who practices 1 kick 10,000 times, on the other hand, will have a great mastery of that kick and its usage and will know all of the ways to execute that kick to defeat his opponent.

#32 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

uhh....wise..like it, so Batman is kind of weak combat wise you say?

#33 Posted by Lvenger (21213 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

@Lvenger said:

@DeathpooltheT1000: This is comic books we're talking about. People can fly, bend steel, create technology decades, even centuries ahead of what we know isn't possible. So Batman knowing 127 styles of martial arts isn't that big a deal. You are supposed to partly suspend belief whilst reading any comic book, even a Batman one. Besides I think he created a style which blends aspects of a whole bunch of them together.

Comics still need you to think Batman is in some level human, take the fact 127 styles thing shows the fact that people who writte the comics have no idea about martial arts, since pretty much say that Batman train 30 styles would work, still sound like the guy train like crazy and the number dont sound random and insane, also he had to train other thing besides Martial arts, so havin over 100 styles, make sound like if he only train to fight.

Time for a Bruce Lee quote.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times"

Someone who practices 10,000 different kicks only one time each may (theoretically) have a wide range of knowledge but his execution of each kick will be sloppy and ineffective secondary to lack of serious practice and study of the correct use of each one.

Someone who practices 1 kick 10,000 times, on the other hand, will have a great mastery of that kick and its usage and will know all of the ways to execute that kick to defeat his opponent.

Again it's comic books dude. Batman seems to have the best of both of what you've described given that he's ranked in DC's top 10 martial artists. To be honest, he's even more unrealistic than superhuman characters because with them you accept they have some kind of power which OK defies scientific laws but it still makes sense. But Batman mastering 127 styles of martial art (in addition to crimonology, forensics and more) makes him even more unrealistic so your point is kind of moot since in being the pinnacle of human achievement both physically and mentally, Batman is even more unrealistic for all his abilities mastered.

#34 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12529 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: To be one of the top ten martial artist in the world dont mean you need to know many styles or always win, it means you understand martial arts how they work and for the same what do so you could walk away, Bruce Lee many times walk away of fights or fool people, Batman is smart enough to dodge fights and know the less he fights he more time he will be Batman.

People has awrong idea of what martial arts are and how they work, the lack of understanding of this is what piss me off, no the fact Batman is unreallistic as hell, it piss me off also that the writters dont do their work and go to wikipedia and read about Bruce Lee ideas about martial arts, they dont have to make a huge investigation about martial arts so they could writte Batman as a martial artist, just look for the most famous guy writte about his ideas and make that part of Batman.

I mean, Batman is the Bruce Lee of the DC universe.

#35 Posted by Lvenger (21213 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000: I don't think they want to make the comparison. They want Batman distinct so they haven't done all their martial art research in order to make him distinct. Besides if he were to focus all that time on martial arts, he wouldn't have time to study all the other things which make him Batman. Once again it's comic books dude. Even the human characters are pretty damn extraordinary.

#36 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12529 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Martial Arts are about getting better, Batman is about getting better, Kung Fu means getting better through hard work and practice, amazingly is the word that people use as Martial Arts, Batman is a Martial Artist because he looks to push himself to the limits and get better, he use science, Bruce Lee used science too, Batman knows psychology, Bruce Lee study psychology too, both of them walk the path of Martial Arts in the same way a moernd way to be the best they can be, sure not for the same reasons, but still follow the same path.

#37 Posted by Lvenger (21213 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000: Bruce Lee didn't use that much science. He was more focused on improving his physical condition alongside his training to ensure his punches and kicks had enough force behind them. Never heard of Bruce Lee citing any psychology lines in his martial artist philosophy though.

#38 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12529 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Bruce Lee study everything to get better in his body and his mind, he used technology that people is using today to train, the guy try to get better, many people forget the mental part of martial arts, thing that Bruce Lee also train.

What Bruce Lee Study in the university?

Psychology, he want to know how the mind works, because he knew Martial Arts had a physical part and a mental one, he talks about the mind in his quotes.

The guys study eveything that could help him in his quest to get better.

#39 Posted by Lvenger (21213 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000: Wow I genuinely didn't know that. Very impressive by the sound of it.

#40 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

nice!

#41 Posted by comicace3 (6593 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

@Lvenger: To be one of the top ten martial artist in the world dont mean you need to know many styles or always win, it means you understand martial arts how they work and for the same what do so you could walk away, Bruce Lee many times walk away of fights or fool people, Batman is smart enough to dodge fights and know the less he fights he more time he will be Batman.

People has awrong idea of what martial arts are and how they work, the lack of understanding of this is what piss me off, no the fact Batman is unreallistic as hell, it piss me off also that the writters dont do their work and go to wikipedia and read about Bruce Lee ideas about martial arts, they dont have to make a huge investigation about martial arts so they could writte Batman as a martial artist, just look for the most famous guy writte about his ideas and make that part of Batman.

I mean, Batman is the Bruce Lee of the DC universe.

Awesome quote right there ^^

#42 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21 said:

@comicace3:

His primary form of combat is an idiosyncratic admixture of Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Muay Thai, Dragon Style Kung Fu, Boxing, Jujitsu, and Ninjitsu.

This.

#43 Edited by IAMTHENIGHT (1 posts) - - Show Bio

his combat style is keysi well in the movie batman begins that is what he used and the thing that you say he uses anthing that works well tbats a style in wich u do that he kicks then he choses to headbut or punch u get me

#44 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (35016 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Batman but the second someone brings up the "he knows all the martial arts" I instantly hate him

#45 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (12529 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Batman but the second someone brings up the "he knows all the martial arts" I instantly hate him

Go to Wikipedia, those guy arent experts about this subject and they point there is at least 3000 martial arts.

Batman should be immortal to know them all and only train.

#46 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6464 posts) - - Show Bio

He mastered 127 forms it what ever he want KungKarate, Tai quanjudo, Capora boxing he's Batman don't judge him.

#47 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12529 posts) - - Show Bio

He mastered 127 forms it what ever he want KungKarate, Tai quanjudo, Capora boxing he's Batman don't judge him.

I dont judge him, but there is no way to belive he train 127 styles and that he is using all of them all the time.

#48 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6464 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller said:

He mastered 127 forms it what ever he want KungKarate, Tai quanjudo, Capora boxing he's Batman don't judge him.

I dont judge him, but there is no way to belive he train 127 styles and that he is using all of them all the time.

O he doesn't use all of them all the time I think he only uses a combo of three against regular street thugs

#49 Posted by edge007 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember Wizard quoting then Batman writer Chuck Dixon as saying that the main martial arts that Bruce uses in combat are jeet kun do (which Dixon described as being the best for taking on multiple assailants) and aikido because it brings on the pain as quickly as possible, hence the end of the battle as quickly as possible. Keep in mind, this is just what I remember reading and am merely paraphrasing. I claim no expertise in any sort of martial arts whatsoever and admit freely that the only sort of authority I have on the subject are the countless martial arts movies I have seen throughout my life.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.