Batman's Cape and Cowl: Blue or Black?

#1 Posted by JakeN7 (10775 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I'm used to the black one. It's more modern and fits in with his persona. Blue isn't the stealthiest of colors, it's like how Naruto's jumpsuit was orange...he's a frickin' ninja! Orange is literally the color hunters use to make their presence known for safety concerns. That having been said, I really like when he has a very dark blue cape and cowl. See Batman: Hush for reference.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

#2 Posted by SmashBrawler (5497 posts) - - Show Bio

Black.

#3 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio
@SmashBrawler said:

Black.

#4 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

black,and it makes more sense because who has ever seen a blue bat.

#5 Posted by DarkKnight1939 (148 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman's classic blue cowl should only really used for nostalgia, although his black cape and cowl was the one orignally used. His cowl can often look like a mixture of the two colours, a darkish-blue. Using black would make greater sense- it's better for stealth, it suits his dark character the best, it's more 'bat-like', and it looks much better for the costume, with greater contrast with the striking yellow belt.

#6 Posted by Whodid (73 posts) - - Show Bio

I think in movies black works best but I think I am safe in saying the cape and cowl looked awesome in Batman The Animated Series Series 1-3 anyway, 4 looked ok in my opinion.

#7 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer batman zurr en arr costume. but seriously, black

#8 Posted by Alexander505 (2144 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

Black.

#9 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alexander505 said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Black.

#10 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

a little dark blue in there wouldnt hurt? :D

#11 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7556 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the blue. But it should be black.

#12 Posted by The_Tree (7219 posts) - - Show Bio

Black, with a bit of a blue tinge.

#13 Posted by Onemoreposter (3948 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to start the opposition and say blue. He's been blue for most of career. Even in recent years he's been mostly blue. Here's one from Batman Rip

Tony Daniel drew him blue for the entire duration of Grant Morrison's run. Here's another from the beginning of of Morrison's run with Batman and Son.

Most of Jim Lee's iconic Batman art has him in blue.

Personally, Neal Adam's always summed Batman up best for me.

#14 Posted by Joygirl (18526 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer his cape to be african-american.

#15 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

....lol good one... there

#16 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@JakeN7 said:

That having been said, I really like when he has a very dark blue cape and cowl. See Batman: Hush for reference.

I like black, but I think dark blue is prettier. Although Batman probably doesn't want to look pretty.

#17 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3487 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually thought that it was always black, but was sometimes drawn shaded with blues. Even when they show his or Clark's hair it's always highlighted with blues because it's the easiest way to shadow black.

#18 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32749 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually very dark blue is better for night camo than straight up black

#19 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

Black, please.

#20 Posted by Jack Donaghy (903 posts) - - Show Bio

Black with hints of blue like his cape and cowl on TAS.

#21 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

New52 Batman has always been drawn wearing black cowl. Pre-flashpoint is more of the blue... Except in the Troika arc.

#22 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17586 posts) - - Show Bio

Black.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.