Batman/Batwoman is it worth it?

#1 Posted by wessaari (623 posts) - - Show Bio

Solicits say that Batman is going to make his presence known in upcoming Batwoman issues. Though it doesnt sell well, I hear that it is a gorgeous book with an impressive storyline. Currently she is hanging with Wonder Woman, but is it worth pikcing up the future issues which starts a new arc?

What are your recommendations?

#2 Posted by End_Boss (738 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Emphatically, unequivocally, yes.

#3 Posted by wessaari (623 posts) - - Show Bio

@End_Boss said:

should I pick up the first trade to get a feel for the character?

#4 Posted by End_Boss (738 posts) - - Show Bio

@wessaari: Just go ahead and start with the New 52 stuff. There's some spill over from pre-New 52, but it's nothing too hugely important. Anyway yeah, the first trade is a good place to start. Batwoman is one of those rare superhero books that read better in a trade than single issues, because it's stories are pretty sprawling.

#5 Posted by wessaari (623 posts) - - Show Bio

@End_Boss said:

@wessaari: Just go ahead and start with the New 52 stuff. There's some spill over from pre-New 52, but it's nothing too hugely important. Anyway yeah, the first trade is a good place to start. Batwoman is one of those rare superhero books that read better in a trade than single issues, because it's stories are pretty sprawling.

gotcha, thx for the help :)

#6 Posted by The Stegman (24460 posts) - - Show Bio
@wessaari: Personally, I haven't liked it so far, which is weird because I liked Batwoman before the New 52. I'm dropping it once the WW crossover is over.
#7 Posted by wessaari (623 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@wessaari: Personally, I haven't liked it so far, which is weird because I liked Batwoman before the New 52. I'm dropping it once the WW crossover is over.

how much have u picked up, and when did u start losin interest

#8 Posted by The Stegman (24460 posts) - - Show Bio
@wessaari: I've been reading it since the beginning, and haven't liked the Weeping Woman arc at all, the only reason I continue reading it is because of Wonder Woman, once she leaves, so will I.  But that's just me, I suggest reading the first trade, see how you like it for yourself.
#9 Posted by wessaari (623 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@wessaari: I've been reading it since the beginning, and haven't liked the Weeping Woman arc at all, the only reason I continue reading it is because of Wonder Woman, once she leaves, so will I. But that's just me, I suggest reading the first trade, see how you like it for yourself.

thx mate. I'll stop by my store in a few days and see how it is

#10 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6304 posts) - - Show Bio

@wessaari said:

@End_Boss said:

@End_Boss said:

I have to disagree slightly.

Elegy would be a good thing to get to get the feel of the character. It's her first solo stories from Pre-New 52 Detective Comics, and has several important origin flashbacks. I get the feeling that certain themes, and possibly an important character, may be appearing in the upcoming arc. She wasn't affected by Flashpoint so her backstory is still intact.

The New 52 series has been great so far, and apparently the new arc will be quite different to the first three, which have all been part of one big saga, so it'll probably be a good jumping in point. If you're unfamiliar with her as a character, I'd say Batwoman: Elegy is the perfect starting point. I do of course also recommend the three New 52 arcs, Hydrology, To Drown The World and Worlds Finest.

The artist in the upcoming arc, Trevor McCarthy, isn't quite as good as J.H. Williams who drew Elegy, Hydrology and Words Finest, but he's pretty decent. The writing is still being handled by J.H. Williams and W. Haden Blackman, so the story will be just as good quality.

It looks like it's going to be a good arc, so I'd say it's worth giving a go. :)

#11 Posted by wessaari (623 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@wessaari said:

@End_Boss said:

@End_Boss said:

Elegy would be a good thing to get to get the feel of the character. It's her first solo stories from Pre-New 52 Detective Comics, and has several important origin flashbacks. I get the feeling that certain themes, and possibly an important character, may be appearing in the upcoming arc. She wasn't affected by Flashpoint so her backstory is still intact.

The New 52 series has been great so far, and apparently the new arc will be quite different to the first three, which have all been part of one big saga, so it'll probably be a good jumping in point. If you're unfamiliar with her as a character, I'd say Batwoman: Elegy is the perfect starting point. I do of course also recommend the three New 52 arcs, Hydrology, To Drown The World and Worlds Finest.

The artist in the upcoming arc, Trevor McCarthy, isn't quite as good as J.H. Williams who drew Elegy, Hydrology and Words Finest, but he's pretty decent. The writing is still being handled by J.H. Williams and W. Haden Blackman, so the story will be just as good quality.

It looks like it's going to be a good arc, so I'd say it's worth giving a go. :)

ima definitely pick up issue 18, but ima definitely skim through Elegy and see if its to my liking. Would Drown the World be the next good arc to pick up afterwards. I hear that they are all pretty much linked with Medusa, and it can get convoluted at times, is any of that true?

#12 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6304 posts) - - Show Bio

@wessaari said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@wessaari said:

@End_Boss said:

@End_Boss said:

ima definitely pick up issue 18, but ima definitely skim through Elegy and see if its to my liking. Would Drown the World be the next good arc to pick up afterwards. I hear that they are all pretty much linked with Medusa, and it can get convoluted at times, is any of that true?

Of the three TPBs available, To Drown The World would be the third one to get. Partly because it's the third chronologically, and also because it's the least good of the three. It's a good story, but it's layed out kinda strangely, cutting between different events at different times. Elegy isn't linked to the Medusa story, but as I said, I think it might be linked to the upcoming arc. Hydrology, To Drown The World and Worlds Finest are kind of a trilogy, but they can be enjoyed seperately.

If you're buying TPBs rather than individual comics, I'd say Elegy is the most important, then Hydrology, then To Drown The World.

#13 Posted by wessaari (623 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Gotcha, thx so much for the help :P:)

#14 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6304 posts) - - Show Bio

@wessaari:No problem. Hope you enjoy Batwoman. :)

#15 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwoman is one of the best books that DC putting on the shelves right now.

#16 Posted by wessaari (623 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997 said:

Batwoman is one of the best books that DC putting on the shelves right now.

what has been the best arc so far

#17 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

@wessaari: I enjoyed Hydrology(the first one) the most but every issue is cool.

#18 Posted by Joygirl (20000 posts) - - Show Bio

Read Batwoman: Elegy first. Then dig into the new title.

#19 Posted by papabearg4d (110 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoy Batwoman series, it seems that it is not "everyone's cup of tea" but most of the reason from people I know says that it is too wordy... which to me is not a problem at all.

#20 Posted by wessaari (623 posts) - - Show Bio

@papabearg4d said:

I really enjoy Batwoman series, it seems that it is not "everyone's cup of tea" but most of the reason from people I know says that it is too wordy... which to me is not a problem at all.

ya i feel that. I had picked up Talon a few months ago and it was very wordy and it made me not wanna pick it up, but looking back and really taking in everything, the issue was astounding and the wordiness had a nice affect on the issue as a whole. So as long as its not pointless wordiness, then i dont think i would mind

#21 Posted by papabearg4d (110 posts) - - Show Bio

Exactly, its wordiness actually fills and tells a good story rather than just being pointless. Combine that with the art and you get a beautiful book. Again, it might not be the same for others.

#22 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6304 posts) - - Show Bio

@papabearg4d said:

Exactly, its wordiness actually fills and tells a good story rather than just being pointless. Combine that with the art and you get a beautiful book. Again, it might not be the same for others.

I agree, the words are important, and good. And of course the art is brilliant. :)

#23 Posted by wessaari (623 posts) - - Show Bio

Just picked up issue 17, and fell in love with the art. I know that McCarthy is going to taking on the art duties but the story is good enough to make me see what happens in the future

#24 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6304 posts) - - Show Bio

@wessaari said:

Just picked up issue 17, and fell in love with the art. I know that McCarthy is going to taking on the art duties but the story is good enough to make me see what happens in the future

I haven't got my copy yet, getting it tomorrow, but it's J.H. Williams so it must be good. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. :)

Have you picked up any TPBs?

#25 Posted by wessaari (623 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: I have two stores in my town, one is just basically for new issues and some issues in the past but is a little place I like to give my business to especially since they keep track of what I want and hold it out for me. The only Tradebacks they get are from the new 52

My second store is basically like half comic book store, half book store, and part card store. They keep alot of new stuff but they have almost every trade back of most companies. I dont go there often cuz they charge alot more just for the sleeve and the board, but whenever I get my TB's I go there. So i didnt go to that store today, but Im gonna check it out later this week. If they dont have it, Midtown says they have it but id rather get it upfront.

So short answer, no lol

#26 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6304 posts) - - Show Bio

@wessaari said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: I have two stores in my town, one is just basically for new issues and some issues in the past but is a little place I like to give my business to especially since they keep track of what I want and hold it out for me. The only Tradebacks they get are from the new 52

My second store is basically like half comic book store, half book store, and part card store. They keep alot of new stuff but they have almost every trade back of most companies. I dont go there often cuz they charge alot more just for the sleeve and the board, but whenever I get my TB's I go there. So i didnt go to that store today, but Im gonna check it out later this week. If they dont have it, Midtown says they have it but id rather get it upfront.

So short answer, no lol

I can understand that. I buy from my local independent shops as much as possible too.

If you've fallen in love with the art, and are interested in the story, you're sure to enjoy them. :)

#27 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6304 posts) - - Show Bio

@wessaari said:

I just read my copy, and it is the greatest single issue of a comic book I've ever read. I felt sad, I laughed, I thought something was really clever, I welled up with happiness, my mouth hung open twice. A great conclusion to the story arc, and the teaser for the next arc has got me so interested for what's going to happen. Such a good reveal, and potentially one hell of a twist, that should be really interesting when explored in the next arc.

Brilliant writing, brilliant art. Perfection. :D

#28 Posted by wessaari (623 posts) - - Show Bio

Just bought Elegy, and the 0 issue (the one that came out a few months ago, the first 0 issue dealt with right after Elegy but neither of my stores had it)

This weekend ima start reading it!!!!

:)

#29 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6304 posts) - - Show Bio

@wessaari said:

Just bought Elegy, and the 0 issue (the one that came out a few months ago, the first 0 issue dealt with right after Elegy but neither of my stores had it)

This weekend ima start reading it!!!!

:)

Good to hear. Read the #0 after Elegy, it'll make more sense.

Hope you enjoy it. :)

#30 Posted by wessaari (623 posts) - - Show Bio

Just finsihed reading Elegy, it was really hard to put down. Rucka and Williams are such a good team, but it as amazing that Williams can keep up the great story with Blackman as well as doing the art. It got a bit confusing/disorienting at times, but it was still phenomenal and some of the best artwork i have ever seen in my life. I have fallen in love with Kate Kane and am looking forward to all the upcoming issues

#31 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6304 posts) - - Show Bio

@wessaari said:

Just finsihed reading Elegy, it was really hard to put down. Rucka and Williams are such a good team, but it as amazing that Williams can keep up the great story with Blackman as well as doing the art. It got a bit confusing/disorienting at times, but it was still phenomenal and some of the best artwork i have ever seen in my life. I have fallen in love with Kate Kane and am looking forward to all the upcoming issues

Excellent, glad you enjoyed it so much. :)

If you've got any questions about bits that confused you, I can probably help answer them, if necessary.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.