Batman without 'no killing' rule

#1 Posted by TheIronLord (90 posts) - - Show Bio

I always wondered what it'd be like if Batman forgot his rule and started killing everyone. Villains, innocents, police, anyone. So here's my question, is there any comic book with such a story?

Thanks and take care!

#2 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

In Batman: Year Two, he really considers it and even starts using the gun Joe Chill used to kill his parents.

In Countdown, there is an alternate universe (Earth-51) on which Batman killed all the villains.

In All Star Batman and Robin, I am pretty sure he killed a bunch of dirty cops.

None of them is any good.

#3 Posted by Chaos Burn (1782 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher

#4 Posted by MrShway88 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chaos Burn: I didn't know there was a Batman story named Punisher.

#5 Posted by Chaos Burn (1782 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrShway88 said:

@Chaos Burn: I didn't know there was a Batman story named Punisher.

lol sorry, i was answering the title question "Batman without 'no killing' rule", he would be like Punisher imo

#6 Posted by Immortal777 (7324 posts) - - Show Bio

He'd be Owlman

#7 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

@Immortal777 said:

He'd be Owlman

I agree.

#8 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

@Immortal777 said:

He'd be Owlman

Pretty much.

#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

He'd be Midnighter. Minus the gay part.

#10 Posted by Mediumguy (166 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: And we all know how Midnighter is.

#11 Posted by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

In Flashpoint: Knight of Vengeance, Batman (Thomas Wayne, in this universe) forgoes the "no killing" rule. There are a few moments in The Dark Knight Returns that are questionable. And he kills in the 1989 Tim Burton Batman movie.

#12 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman frequently killed criminals in the early Bob Kane books. And then Robin came along...

#13 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

Batman frequently killed criminals in the early Bob Kane books. And then Robin came along...

damn....is that retconned or?...crazy..

#14 Posted by DarkKnight1939 (148 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman did kill frequently in the early Bob Kane/Bill Finger comics while the character was being developed and before the books became much "lighter". However after that he did kill occasionally: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/03/22/batman-kills-murderer/. There are many moments when it is not certain whether it could be classified as killing or not.

A few of his victims:

-People (Various moments-Particularly during the early comics)

-People (Batman:Year 2)

-Ra's Al Ghul (The Messiah of the Crimson Son)

-KGBeast (Ten Nights of the Beast)

-Members of the Mutants (Dark Knight Returns)

-Criminal (Batman: Cult)

-Joker and Henchmen (Batman (Film))

-Ras Al Ghul (Batman Begins (Film))

-Two Face (Dark Knight (Film))

#15 Posted by Russcovito (117 posts) - - Show Bio

There is also the 666 of Batman where we see Damian be Batman ;)

#16 Posted by DarKnightNoir (44 posts) - - Show Bio

I was going to say, Damien fills the role you are speaking of.

#17 Posted by JSH92 (414 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

Actually, they still killed people when Robin was around. Robin kills a gangster that works for Boss Zucco in his first appearance (Detective Comics #38). He kicks him off of a steel girder they're both standing on. Also, in that same issue, they let Zucco kill one of his men to use it as evidence against him (Robin snaps a photo of him killing the guy). Robin even would have killed the Joker by kicking him off the top of a building if Batman hadn't saved him. I still have no freaking clue why Batman reached out his arm to grab Joker. He literally says, "You're too valuable a prize to lose!" What the heck? The murderous psychopath is a valuable prize? Was that Bob Kane talking or Batman? lol

Then in the second story of Batman #1, Batman kills several people, including people from insane asylums that Hugo Strange kidnapped and turned into these big-hulk like creatures. He's got a pretty high kill count in that story, relatively speaking.

So, yea, if you want to see a Batman who is willing to kill his villains (but mind you doesn't always because it's not like he has to), then I'd recommend The Batman Chronicles #1.

#18 Posted by SmashBrawler (5620 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman used a gun in the First Wave line of comics (the ones that featured Doc Savage and the Spirit).

#19 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

@JSH92 said:

@Reignmaker said:

Actually, they still killed people when Robin was around. Robin kills a gangster that works for Boss Zucco in his first appearance (Detective Comics #38). He kicks him off of a steel girder they're both standing on. Also, in that same issue, they let Zucco kill one of his men to use it as evidence against him (Robin snaps a photo of him killing the guy). Robin even would have killed the Joker by kicking him off the top of a building if Batman hadn't saved him. I still have no freaking clue why Batman reached out his arm to grab Joker. He literally says, "You're too valuable a prize to lose!" What the heck? The murderous psychopath is a valuable prize? Was that Bob Kane talking or Batman? lol

Then in the second story of Batman #1, Batman kills several people, including people from insane asylums that Hugo Strange kidnapped and turned into these big-hulk like creatures. He's got a pretty high kill count in that story, relatively speaking.

So, yea, if you want to see a Batman who is willing to kill his villains (but mind you doesn't always because it's not like he has to), then I'd recommend The Batman Chronicles #1.

Oh yeah, I own a reprint of Batman #1. That's pretty cool about Robin in Detective #38.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.