Batman without Alfred

#1 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

A while ago I was thinking it would be cool to tell a story of an alternate timeline where Bruce still had his training and his drive, but didn't have his money. I like to keep things as close to the canon as possible so rather than saying he's just not rich or something I started thinking, how could he get to be poor, with his training, and maintain his motivation... The answer. Alfred. Alfred is integral to Bruce being rich and not having his stuff taken from him. What would happen if Alfred just couldn't withstand the temptation of taking Bruce's wealth?

My take is that Bruce goes abroad leaving Alfred in charge of all his assets. Alfred falls to temptation and takes all of Bruce's assets. Bruce returns home to find he is completely broke, no college degree, and supposedly no skills. He's homeless and is forced to live on the streets with only what he had with him coming home, which wouldn't be much. Leslie Thompkins might play a bigger role, Alfred might become a villain, Dick might become a street rat become and eventually Robin.

So what other changes might result from this?

#2 Posted by Hulk_Storm_Team_Extreme (6 posts) - - Show Bio

alfred is pretty forgotten. He hasn't done anything worthwhile other than help batman.Has he ever been a lead character in a batman book?Not that I can't remember.Even batwoman is more important than him and she has only been around for a few years.

people is gonna say "omgz it's hard without alfredo and i have to do more work." Batman will move on though.

#3 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hulk_Storm_Team_Extreme said:

alfred is pretty forgotten. He hasn't done anything worthwhile other than help batman.

How dare Alfred do what Alfred's always done.

Shame on him.

He should be leading at least five superhero teams.

#4 Posted by JonSmith (3980 posts) - - Show Bio

Alfred is the unspoken constant of the Batman world. Like any good butler, you never notice his presence unless you need him to do something. Without Alfred's support or his money? Batman wouldn't last. Alfred has provided Batman's medic support from day one. Without Alfred, he'll die his first night out. He won't gain the experience to be Batman.

#5 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

Alfred is the unspoken constant of the Batman world. Like any good butler, you never notice his presence unless you need him to do something. Without Alfred's support or his money? Batman wouldn't last. Alfred has provided Batman's medic support from day one. Without Alfred, he'll die his first night out. He won't gain the experience to be Batman.

See, I think he'd turn to Leslie Thompkins. That first night instead of going home and sitting in the chair looking at the moon you could simply change it to him sitting in an Crime Row or something like that, and then the bat comes down and knocks over a flaming trashcan, then he makes his way to Leslie Thompkins clinic which was formed long ago to get stitched up and such.

#6 Posted by Jack Donaghy (877 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

He'd die? How I'm pretty sure there are other superheroes like Green Arrow who don't have powers or someone like Alfred to take care of their injuries and they're just fine.

#7 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

He isnt a Butler he is a Valet.

A valet or gentleman's gentleman is a gentleman's male servant; the closest female equivalent is a lady's maid.

The valet performs personal services such as maintaining his employer's clothes, running his bath and perhaps (especially in the past) shaving his employer.

In a great house, the master of the house had his own valet, and in the very grandest great houses, other adult members of the employing family (e.g. master's sons) would also have their own valets.

At a court, even minor princes and high officials may be assigned one, but in a smaller household the butler (the majordomo in charge of the household staff) might have to double as his employer's valet. In a bachelor's household the valet might perform light housekeeping duties as well.

Valets learned the skills for their role in various ways. Some began as footmen, learning some relevant skills as part of that job, and picking up others when deputising for their master's valet, or by performing valeting tasks for his sons before they had a valet of their own, or for male guests who did not travel with a valet. Others started out as soldier-servants to army officers (batmen) or stewards to naval officers.

Traditionally, a valet did much more than merely lay out clothes and take care of personal items. He was also responsible for making travel arrangements, dealing with any bills and handling all money matters concerning his master or his master's household.

#8 Posted by JonSmith (3980 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000: Well, I've learned something new. Thanks. However, while what you say may be factually accurate, it doesn't change the fact that Alfred has always been referred to as a 'butler'. If you asked most individuals what Alfred is to Batman, and they didn't feel like getting philosophical about it, they'd say 'his butler'. So while that title may not be an accurate description of his duties, it's what he calls himself, and what he's known and referred to as. So while I now know he's NOT a butler, I will continue to refer to him as such, for ease of understanding, if nothing else.

#9 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

@DeathpooltheT1000: Well, I've learned something new. Thanks. However, while what you say may be factually accurate, it doesn't change the fact that Alfred has always been referred to as a 'butler'. If you asked most individuals what Alfred is to Batman, and they didn't feel like getting philosophical about it, they'd say 'his butler'. So while that title may not be an accurate description of his duties, it's what he calls himself, and what he's known and referred to as. So while I now know he's NOT a butler, I will continue to refer to him as such, for ease of understanding, if nothing else.

Actually... Alfred has corrected people a number of times in the comics and it is why people even know that he isn't a Butler. It's just that modern people are generally stupid and after a while people get tired of having to correct others all the time so allow them to get away with it without correcting them. Also many of the writers are American and them going above the call to learn the difference is really asking too much of most Americans lol

#10 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

@Durakken said:

@JonSmith said:

Actually... Alfred has corrected people a number of times in the comics and it is why people even know that he isn't a Butler. It's just that modern people are generally stupid and after a while people get tired of having to correct others all the time so allow them to get away with it without correcting them. Also many of the writers are American and them going above the call to learn the difference is really asking too much of most Americans lol

The fact Alfred has said to people he is a Valet in the comic books, is actually evidence of how little attention people puts into the plot and the script.

I mean the fact even DC writters forget this is amazing.

I mean, even freacking Jarvis is a valet.

I mean, TVTropes has the section about Badass Valet, talking about the fact this guys rarent butlers.

#11 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman NEEDS Alfred.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.