Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman with guns?

Avatar image for punishtheguilty
    punishtheguilty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By punishtheguilty
    No Caption Provided

I am a fan of batman and I know that batman hates firearms but wouldn't you guys like to see batman pull a pistol out and shoot joker right in the head I know that the thought of batman using guns is dumb and kind of hilarious. But wouldn't you want to see batman lose his marbles and just go postal on every bad-guy instead of locking them up in jail only for them to escape and do it all over again. I know batman against the thought of murder but does he ever think jeez these guys keep coming back and messing up Gotham maybe a bullet to the brain will stop them. Now would you like to see batman go gun ho on all the bad-guys.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By BatteredArmor

Possibly an other world would be good

Avatar image for the_man_of_yesteryear
    The Man of Yesteryear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nah, even that picture just doesn't look right.

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By GC8

The idea that Batman would use guns is not dumb - the idea that Batman would not avail himself of any tools available to him (including guns) is.
    Fact is Batman started out using guns. He used both handguns and vehicle mounted firearms in a number of the early issues of detective comics, as well as in his first onscreen appearance in the Batman movie serials. 

It wasn't until the Comics Code reared it's ugly head that they had to turn Batman into a goody-two-shoes that wouldn't ever use a gun.

Detective Comics #35 from 1940:

No Caption Provided
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Kairan1979
    @punishtheguilty
    check Nighthawk from Supreme Power/Squadron Supreme comic books. That's black Batman with guns.
    RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RedOwl_1

Nop

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Ugh not this subject again! why is every so obsessed with Batman using guns? You never hear "why does Spider-Man not use guns?" or "Why doesn't Superman build a Kryptonian machine gun?" Batman is not the only hero that has recurring villains, thats every superhero ever invented.   

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By the_tree

@etragedy said:

The idea that Batman would use guns is not dumb - the idea that Batman would not avail himself of any tools available to him (including guns) is.
    Fact is Batman started out using guns. He used both handguns and vehicle mounted firearms in a number of the early issues of detective comics, as well as in his first onscreen appearance in the Batman movie serials.

It wasn't until the Comics Code reared it's ugly head that they had to turn Batman into a goody-two-shoes that wouldn't ever use a gun.

Detective Comics #35 from 1940:
    No Caption Provided

This makes me wonder how our beloved comic characters would've turned out without the Comics Code.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Superguy0009e

Guns take away the whole idea of Batman. Know, I wouldn't mind seeing a Batman character using guns, but Batman can't, they are a symbol of what took away his parents, and if he uses them, it is just hypocritical.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By ReVamp

Nah. It goes against the concept of Batman, it wouldn't make a good story.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Billy Batson

Final Crisis
    BB

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jrock85

@ReVamp said:

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

#14  Edited By GC8
    @The_Tree

Yeah, the CCA definitely made comics take a turn for the worse. It definitely would be a different comics world. Superman was the guy that didn't like guns on a moral level. Batman was a lot more like a police officer - working directly with and alongside the police at times, and using all their tools of crime fighting and detection, magnifying glasses, microscopes, 'high powered' automobiles (before the Batmobile), fingerprint kits, and yes, guns.

When he couldn't use guns anymore, it got really weird, they came up with every kind of elaborate, expensive, 'bat' device like a gun, but not an actual gun. Don't get me wrong, I believe Bruce Wayne would have used every penny at his disposal to make any device he needed - but he's not stupid, he's not going to waste time and resources making something common that can be bought. Why have a 'bat-something-something-something' that performs in all practical purposes like a gun and not just have a gun (even if it may mean at times using beanbags or rubber bullets like the real police do when they want to employ a gun and not use lethal force). 

It wasn't until later that someone had to come up for an excuse for why he doesn't use guns and decided that since his parents were killed by guns, he won't use them. Though it should be emphasized that he has never been a gun-centric character, preferring the police ideal of minimum force necessary, and only rarely - very rarely - did he employ the use of firearms even before the Comics Code.

Which brings up a second issue related to the OP. The OP is not just about Batman using guns, but also using lethal force (shooting Joker in the head) instead of continually locking up the same dangerous criminals only to have them escape again... that's a separate issue entirely. One doesn't need a gun to use lethal force. And, Batman has shown in the past that he would (again pre CCA) use lethal force (sometimes that lethal force was via a gun, sometimes without a gun) that he is willing to take lives when necessary. Again, it's something he did very rarely and was reluctant to do except in the most extreme circumstances.
    Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@The Man of Yesteryear: That's what I felt!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By entropy_aegis
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @ReVamp said:

@Morpheus_ said:
    Batman: Year Two

Agh.
    Agreed with the first.  

The latter makes me want to cry. 
    Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Hazlenaut

With an Batman Inc one those batman would likely use a gun.

Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Joelislegend

Only legit use of a gun was VS Darkseid in Final Crisis. That was dope. Batman withnguns though... Nonononononononono.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Superguy0009e

@Archlord said:

He would never use guns because: He has more interesting and intelligent ways of getting through his comics.

Like really, don't know if you noticed, but guns don't hurt Superman, and Wonder Woman can block projectiles.

Batman can outsmart a person with a gun, and his punches will probably do more damage to Superman (if he's wearing the kryptonite ring), and he'll charm Diana into giving up, that's how awesome he is. His debut comic book is the company name for hells sake...

Now let's bring up an elseworlds possibility: Bruce, Dick and Tim die, so Jason takes up the role of Batman, and he uses guns, hells yeah.

This, Batman is better than guns, he is the most well trained person in the world, it would be way to cheap for him to use a gun

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SpidermanWins

Batman actually originally used guns or at least the creators were going to do that until they made him a moral code.

Joelislegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Joelislegend

@SpidermanWins said:

Batman actually originally used guns or at least the creators were going to do that until they made him a moral code.

Batman with guns would be horrible. There aren't really that many superheroes that use guns. It's lame honestly.

Imagine Batman with a Deadshot-like sniper rifle.

Lame.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SpidermanWins

@Joelislegend said:

@SpidermanWins said:

Batman with guns would be horrible. There aren't really that many superheroes that use guns. It's lame honestly.

Imagine Batman with a Deadshot-like sniper rifle.

Lame.

That's why I'm glad they never really went with that

Avatar image for deactivated-5adea7403421c
    deactivated-5adea7403421c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He used a gun before

deadwill_260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so now he is a rich guy with guns?

not very impressive

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Batman should use guns hurr durr!" I know this thread was created 3 years ago, but my god is it stupid.

Batman can't ever use a gun. A gun was used to kill his parents right in front of him at age 8.

"Batman used guns once upon a time five trillion years ago."

Yes, Batman once used guns and that was at odds with his origins. Batman using guns has always been a bad idea. He was also using guns when he was still a rip off of other comic charcaters.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Batman's parents were killed by a drunk driver, does that mean he would never drive a car? No.

He doesn't rely on guns because he would rather rely on his own body, it's that simple. This, to me, explains why his vehicles can have guns, and he can have different types of guns for specific purposes. He would be less efficient with guns, and would end up fighting like Todd. Who, while no slouch, is also no Batman.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why cant people understand that killing its wrong?

Give some one power over other person life, it makes this person to be above.

Batman isnt above things, he understands he doesnt know everything and for the same he cant take this type of decisions.

brownr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so late....

but Batman using guns would be lame. The fact that he is so impressive is because he trained so hard and is so smart that he doesn't have to fail back to guns. And then imagine all of the great stories we would have missed out on if he did use them? All of his good villains would be dead. No years long feud with the Joker, Two-Face, Riddler, Penguin, etc., because he would have killed them all.

Then what kind of banter would he and Catwoman have while he's blasting off 45's while she's trying to flirt? just doesn't work for him. He's better without them. I like that he shot Darkseid in FC and I also like when he was aging that he pulled one on some thug because it showed he was still human but I don't want it to be a norm for him.

Only really found this because I've noticed in the Batman v Superman trailer and toys Batman has s rifle and I'm hoping its something with a grappling hook or something and not a real gun.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

No thanks.

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotham Glory: Gargoyles

If we pit the Dark Knight (DC Comics) against Lucifer Morningstar (DC Comics), we might ask questions like "What are the comic art re-orientations of the archangel Michael (from Western mythology)?"

Maybe Batman should carry water-guns for Halloween: "Citizens of Gotham, my water-gun is meant to show you I have no intention to make vigilantism something fearful!"

Lucifer (DC)

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Isaiah90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punishtheguilty: Yes and no. Yes because it'd be interesting to see the Batman break his moral code and use guns. No because i don't think he can go back to being the Batman if he did. Using guns would do too much damage to his psyche. He doesn't want to end up being like a common crook.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.