Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman..where do I start reading?

xxPixi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm completely new to reading comics and such but ever since I was a little girl I have loved batman, mainly the villians. I want to start reading the comics but I have no idea where to begin. I have read volume 1 of the suicide squad as it was only 49p on amazon. I also have harley quinn volume 1 waiting for me to read.

I've come to the end of suicide squad vol 1 and would really like to know why the joke has had his face sliced off? Where do I start reading to find out how and why this happens?

Vulshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You should start reading Batman by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo from #1. The series has had some great villains both new and old.

The Joker lost his face in Detective Comics #1 and it is the only issue that deals with that.

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Detective Comics vol 1 and Batman vol 1

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@xxpixi: Miller books,then Loeb books,then Morisson books,then now.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@xxpixi: Here is a clearer answer :

DC had 2 major reboots :

• in 1986 after Crisis on infinit earth
    • in 2011 after Flashpoint

Thus making 3 main Batman timelins

1. 1939-1986 : Gold, Silver and Bronze ages
    2. 1986-2011: Post-Crisis or Modern age
    3. 2011-now: Post-Flashpoint or New52

If you want to be up to date you have to read the New52 stories. The main Batman Title is not very good in my opinion (exept maybe for the Owls arc). The Detective Comics Title is bad up to issue 17 I think and way better from issue 30. Batman & Robin is awsome. The Dark Knight is very dark and fun. Nightwing then Grayson are also good to read. As for the other title, I don't think they are must reads.

In parallel to the New52 you should get to know the modern age Batman with very iconic stories. Here is a good Timeline with all stories and main ones in bold :http://www.comicvine.com/profile/batshrine/blog/batman-tpb-complete-chronology/79247/

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.