Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

"Batman" vs. "the Batman"

GiantRobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GiantRobots

When did comics stop using "the batman" and start saying just "Batman?" I've always thought "the batman" makes him seem more mythological and impressive. Does anyone know when and why the title changed?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

I think it stopped the minute Robin came around (1940's). After that, Batman was a child's character with the success of Robin and the TV show that follwed (1960s-70s). I think they started calling him The Batman again after Frank Miller took the reins in the 80's. Since then, I think he's only called The Batman from characters who either aren't familiar with Batman or the ones who still don't believe he exists. To his colleagues and the a-list villains, he's just Batman.

Jane McClane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jane McClane

Well Scarecrow refers to him as "The Batman" in Batman Begins..... but then again the title of the movie isn't The Batman Begins, so there's a fail in there somewhere.... I definitely prefer The Batman, and if you read some of the darker stand-alone comics you still see it occassionally...

Avatar image for hatewhatispopular
    hatewhatispopular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hatewhatispopular

@Gambit1024 said:

I think it stopped the minute Robin came around (1940's). After that, Batman was a child's character with the success of Robin and the TV show that follwed (1960s-70s). I think they started calling him The Batman again after Frank Miller took the reins in the 80's. Since then, I think he's only called The Batman from characters who either aren't familiar with Batman or the ones who still don't believe he exists. To his colleagues and the a-list villains, he's just Batman.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Daveyo520

He did star off as The Bat-Man. I agree the "the" makes it better.

Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sydpart2

I think it's just a writing thing. You'd have a hard time making some scenes flow if you called him the batman every time. Let's look at one of the common happenings in Arkham City, occasionally you'll hear some of the thugs call him the batman, but when they're horrified they tend to say BATMAN or IT'S THE BAT! those wouldn't always come off as well if it was always the batman. The same could be said of more personal scenes between batman and other characters that don't know his secret identity in just about any medium.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

Sergio Aragones used The Batman as a Joke, when Batman decide to say to everybody they should call him The Batman.

Oh my gawd is Batman!!!!

THE BATMAN FOR YOU SCUM!!!!

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RedOwl_1

The Batman isn't a good name of me:

My first language is Spanish so it is translated like "El Hombre Murcielago" (I will do a post of how much I hate this terms' translates to Spanish)

Don't try translate it in google (I do it and I get the same and with the " including it get "The Dark Knight" ^^ lol )

• el = The
    • Hombre = Man
    • Murcielago = Bat

And here in México, in the animated series always that in english u say The Batman they say el hombre murcielago and I hate it, sounds bad >:(

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.