Batman: Underrated, Just Right, Overrated

#1 Posted by dmkicksballs13 (110 posts) - - Show Bio

It's pretty simple, what Batman comics are underrated, just right, and overrated. Keep it in Batman comics, no supporting character stories, i.e. Nightwing, Gotham Central, etc.

Underrated: Bane of the Demon, Slayride (Det. Com. #826), Face the Face, Dark Knight Dark City, Yesterday's Gone (Det. Com. #678), Heart of Hush, Prey (LOTDK), Battle for the Cowl, Noel, Gotham County Line, Resurrection Night (Batman #400),Wrath Child (Confidential), The Man Who Laughs

Just Right: The Cult, Morrison's Batman and Robin, Venom (LOTDK),Year One, The Black Mirror, Strange Apparitions, The Last Arkham (SOTB), The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Gotham by Gaslight, Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

Overrated: The Dark Knight Returns, A Lonely Place of Dying, Hush, R.I.P., Court of Owls, Arkham Asylum, The Killing Joke, Ego

#2 Posted by Noctis (1396 posts) - - Show Bio

TCH! no Batman comics are overrated, he's Batman! lol.

#3 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

Yay,you listed Noel.

#4 Posted by ANOMALY0964 (11 posts) - - Show Bio

If the only character DC had was Batman, they would still be alright...

#5 Posted by nickzambuto (13795 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmkicksballs13 said:

It's pretty simple, what Batman comics are underrated, just right, and overrated. Keep it in Batman comics, no supporting character stories, i.e. Nightwing, Gotham Central, etc.

Underrated: Bane of the Demon, Slayride (Det. Com. #826), Face the Face, Dark Knight Dark City, Yesterday's Gone (Det. Com. #678), Heart of Hush, Prey (LOTDK), Battle for the Cowl, Noel, Gotham County Line, Resurrection Night (Batman #400),Wrath Child (Confidential), The Man Who Laughs

Just Right: The Cult, Morrison's Batman and Robin, Venom (LOTDK),Year One, The Black Mirror, Strange Apparitions, The Last Arkham (SOTB), The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Gotham by Gaslight, Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

Overrated: The Dark Knight Returns, A Lonely Place of Dying, Hush, R.I.P., Court of Owls, Arkham Asylum, The Killing Joke, Ego

I don't think Battle for the Cowl is underrated, I've actually seen it get a lot of praise.

I'd say which I think is overrated but I'm afraid I'll get banned...

#6 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

The only overrated book I really agree with is Dark Knight Returns and possibly Ego.

#7 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14736 posts) - - Show Bio

@Suprman said:

The only overrated book I really agree with is Dark Knight Returns and possibly Ego.

Amen Kryptonian amen.

#8 Posted by Dhor (282 posts) - - Show Bio

underrated: Streets of Gotham. especially fist 12 issues

#9 Posted by YMCMB (160 posts) - - Show Bio

Year One is overrated

#10 Posted by Billy Batson (58068 posts) - - Show Bio

Underrated - Peter Milligan's stuff
BB

#11 Edited by BatWatch (2760 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmkicksballs13 said:

I hated heart of Hush. It was the first time the character was used and I didn't enjoy him. It was just bizarre, and I believe it ended on a cliffhanger right before One Year Later which never really resolved the plot line...if I am thinking of the right story.

I enjoyed A Lonely Place of Dying a lot. I wouldn't call it one of the best Batman stories, but it is solid.

Hush was excellent fun and intriguing, but I would not accuse it of pushing forward the medium or being a masterpiece. It simply did a good job of using the advantages of the comic medium, recurring bad guys, plot twists, resurrections...all good stuff but not genius.

You are a crazy man for not loving The Killing Joke.

I agree with the rest of your list though. Good thread.

#12 Posted by dmkicksballs13 (110 posts) - - Show Bio

@PsychoKnights: Heart of Hush was after Hush. And I really do love the Killing Joke, but I hate the Joker origin story. It was simple, unnecessary, and I like the that the Joker never had an origin. Every time I read The Killing Joke I skip over those pages.

#13 Posted by BatWatch (2760 posts) - - Show Bio

Is heart of Hush the one where he fought the Joker and the Joker had some weird pacemaker put into Hush which would stop his heart if he used his randomly acquired Pigeon powers to cause a bird to make Hush's heart to stop...because that one was just strange.

I see your point about Joker. In my mind, I like to think of there being several origin stories floating around the streets of Gotham about where Joker originated, and all the various stories we have seen in the comics are just different stories in circulation. None of them are necessarily true or necessarily false. It would take away from Joker's ambiance though if he had a clear origin.

#14 Posted by MrShway88 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with some of your overrated list such as Arkham Asylum. I though Black and White is also overrated. Bruce Wayne: Fugitive and War Games are underrated. And No Man's Land is just right.

#15 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

the court of owls stuff is kinda overrated. and TDKR is the most overrated on the list, its pretty much written by a batman fanboy who hates superman. i agree with your just right list to, i loved morrison on batman and robin

#16 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

@Suprman said:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.