Batman: Under the Red Hood DVD not a faithful adaptation...

#1 Posted by JoeEddie (483 posts) - - Show Bio

of the comics. So, I watched under the Red Hood online a dozen time when it first came out and I bought the DVD a few months ago. I finally bought the trade last week. As soon as it came in the mail, I flipped through the book to see how faithful the DVD was to the comics. Surprised to see that Joker's role was much smaller in the comics than in the DVD. Unless I missed it, Ra's Al Ghul never talked about working with the Joker during Death in the Family like in the introduction of the DVD, There was no interrogation scene between Joker, Batman, and Nightwing, Black Mask never hired Joker to take out the Red Hood,and Joker never turned on the Black Mask. Surprised DC went in this direction with Batman: Year One DVD being such a faithful adaptation of the comics.

#2 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

The Lazarus pit thing was way better than Superboy Prime falcon punching reality to bring him back from the dead, and they needed a valid way to explain the inclusion. I honestly found the DVD adaptation better than the comic

#3 Posted by SmashBrawler (5637 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoeEddie said:

Surprised DC went in this direction with Batman: Year One DVD being such a faithful adaptation of the comics.

And this is the reason Under the Red Hood is a much better movie.

#4 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler: Yea, I don't need a rehash and honestly for the most part while I watched year one throughout most of it I was thinking Okay I've seen all of this before just done better. I think it its a much better show of talent that they managed to stay true to the point of the story while still giving their spin on it than a verbatim copy of the source material.

#5 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

The DVD improved on it.

#6 Posted by cattlebattle (12697 posts) - - Show Bio

None of DCs DVD movies are really direct adaptions aside from Batman: Year One

#7 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd rather see a movie like this at least try to be original, than do a word-for-word adaptation.

The movie was better.

#8 Edited by Nathaniel_Christopher (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes it is, because it captures the main point and spirit of the story. It's certainly not a fully direct one, but i'd say its better for it. The Lazarus Pit was the obvious way to go with the story from the beginning. If anything i'd say the changes made in the movie cut out a lot of unnecessary elements.

#9 Edited by entropy_aegis (15235 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

And The Dark Knight Returns.@SmashBrawler said:

@JoeEddie said:

Surprised DC went in this direction with Batman: Year One DVD being such a faithful adaptation of the comics.

Pretty much.@JoeEddie said:

of the comics. So, I watched under the Red Hood online a dozen time when it first came out and I bought the DVD a few months ago. I finally bought the trade last week. As soon as it came in the mail, I flipped through the book to see how faithful the DVD was to the comics. Surprised to see that Joker's role was much smaller in the comics than in the DVD. Unless I missed it, Ra's Al Ghul never talked about working with the Joker during Death in the Family like in the introduction of the DVD, There was no interrogation scene between Joker, Batman, and Nightwing, Black Mask never hired Joker to take out the Red Hood,and Joker never turned on the Black Mask. Surprised DC went in this direction with Batman: Year One DVD being such a faithful adaptation of the comics.

You forgot Deathstroke.

#10 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i liked it, i thought the lazarus pit add more character development to jason todd. 

#11 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie was better than the book it was based on because it cleaned up all the plot holes and focused more on the drama of having your mistake come back to haunt you which was the main theme of the book that got lost under a lot of bad subplots.

#12 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

the reason why the movie is different is cause its exactly how Winick intended the comic to be

It was Didio that came out with the idea of using superboy's punch and he mandated it into Under the Hood, i think the movie version is way better for that

#13 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

Some animated adaptations are better than the source material because they can improve on it.There was a fight scene with Wonder Woman in Superman/Batman Apocalypse that was better than the comics.In the comics,Wonder Woman battles these the furries which only lasted 2 pages and it wasn't good since it was so short.The animated film adapation lasted three minutes long and it was ****** epic.It made her look cool and it was awesome.

#14 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2203 posts) - - Show Bio

Direct adaptations are boring anyway. Why would I want to watch the same exact thing I've read? It's the same reason why if I read a manga, I'll skip the anime and vice versa.

#15 Edited by JakeN7 (11762 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler said:

@JoeEddie said:

Yeah, The Dark Knight Returns: Part 1 DVD is basically a panel for panel, shot for shot adaptation of the comic and I thought it was very...meh

Edit: Ah! You beat me to it! ;P

@entropy_aegis said:

@cattlebattle said:

And The Dark Knight Returns.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.