Batman: The Good Life

#1 Edited by Jeremy1989 (585 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one who would like Batman/Bruce Wayne to have happy life?

Now don't get me wrong, I love the dark, gritty, and brooding character that is Batman we all know and love, but sometimes I want him to have some ounce bliss.

I just want him have a life beyond Batman.(See what I did there)

You know,

• Get married to a beautiful woman besides Talia or Selina
  • Make amends with his kids
  • Happiness life after Batman
  • Appreciate the things that he has
  • Become a better man

you get the rest( and not all that sappy Disney type of stuff)

and I want all that to be in canon

I know it will never happen(besides it's Batman)

Tell me what you think?

#2 Posted by Johnni_Kun (289 posts) - - Show Bio

Before the haters come. I say sure. But, it would have to be an elseworld story. They are never going to get rid of Bruce as Batman. These characters never age.... ... .. .so there just noway to conclude a story that is on-going.

#3 Posted by LordoftheNorth (1340 posts) - - Show Bio

No Batman will not get married becuase anyone he would marry could be put in danger

i would say it his kids who have to make amens with him

What constatues happiness and he wouldnt stop being batman even if he has to where a suit like in Kingdom Come

what makes you think he already dosnt appreciate the things he has

...ok so the man sacrifices his whole life to fighting the evils of gotham and the world even thou it could mean his death and dosnt allow anyone to get close to protect them from harm even thou it could mean he will be alone for the rest of his life how the hell does he become a better man? as far as i can tell he is the best man their is

#4 Posted by toplel (794 posts) - - Show Bio

Part of what makes Batman so great is his sacrifice. He has sacrificed his chance for a normal life for his mission. He spends his time either as Batman or running WE, so it'd be difficult to fit in all that 'happiness'.

It could be done as part of an Elseworlds, though, where Gotham no longer needs Batman or someone else takes over the mantle.

#5 Posted by FBB (109 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be fair.

Humanity always had the same issues (violence, crime, murder) and it's highly improbable that they would change permanently while Bruce Wayne is alive, even in his old age. Gotham could need a Batman for many years after his death.

#6 Posted by consolemaster001 (4937 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess vut he wouldn't get married

#7 Posted by RDClip (1117 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure he deserves it, but it doesn't feel true to the character to ever give up the fight as Batman. Bruce Wayne the MAN doesn't truely exist anymore, he has become the Bat in his deepest soul. Taking the fight away from him would destroy him, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

To me, the core of Batman is tragedy. It follows him wherever he goes. He could have moved on past his parent's deaths, he certainly isn't wanting for anything. However, he constantly gives up chances at a normal, happy life because he needs to be Batman. He's a normal man, he doesn't need to fight. He could use his wealth to help in other ways. But, he can't give up the Bat because that is who he really is. He'll never let himself be happy, he'll keep on fighting until it kills him.

In that respect, he is perfectly contrasted with Superman. Batman, being just a man, has no obligation to fight. Superman's powers make him responsible for the world. Batman shuns happiness and normalcy. Superman yearns to be normal and happy (usually with Lois). Batman will age as a human while Superman will outlive everyone he loves.

Batman and Superman are both tragic figures. Batman won't let himself be normal and Superman can't be normal.

#8 Edited by kgb725 (5786 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce put his girlfriends in danger so marriage is out of the question unless its to someone with powers

#9 Posted by toplel (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip said:

To me, the core of Batman is tragedy. It follows him wherever he goes. He could have moved on past his parent's deaths, he certainly isn't wanting for anything. However, he constantly gives up chances at a normal, happy life because he needs to be Batman. He's a normal man, he doesn't need to fight. He could use his wealth to help in other ways. But, he can't give up the Bat because that is who he really is. He'll never let himself be happy, he'll keep on fighting until it kills him.

I feel I need to address this point because a lot of people think Bruce Wayne could give up being the Batman and just fix Gotham's problems through WE. It's what he would've done if he didn't lose his parents. He still does it. Gotham's problems can't be fixed by throwing money at them, though. He made the choice to try and fix Gotham instead of himself. He made himself the perfect instrument for justice. Its a sacrifice; the greatest good for the greatest number of people.

And who said a normal man doesn't need to fight?

#10 Posted by RDClip (1117 posts) - - Show Bio

@toplel: He doesn't need to physically fight the bad guys. On one end, he could support Gotham through charity and philanthropy. On the other, he could support metahumans with funds and infrastructure. Yes, I know he already does those things. However, an arguement could be made that he could accomplish more if he didn't spend so much time out in the field himself.

But, that will never happen because it would be boring to read about someone who never gets into a physical fight.

#11 Edited by toplel (794 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip: He does need to be out there himself. No other hero is as involved in Gotham as he is, nor would they be. Superman said it himself that he hates Gotham. Gotham needs Batman. Beating up bad guys is only part of what he does; his detective work cannot be done by anyone else. In the end, no one else is as dedicated to Gotham as him to do what he does.

#12 Edited by Jeremy1989 (585 posts) - - Show Bio

Before the haters come. I say sure. But, it would have to be an elseworld story. They are never going to get rid of Bruce as Batman. These characters never age.... ... .. .so there just noway to conclude a story that is on-going.

I know :(

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.