'Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1' Trailer

• 108 results
Posted by G-Man (36395 posts) - - Show Bio

DC Entertainment and Warner Home Video have previously announced BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS will be not just a regular animated movie but instead, will be two animated movies. The story will be broken down into two parts. That means we'll get to see more of the story adapted for the small screen.

It was surprising that we didn't hear more about it at San Diego Comic-Con this year. A trailer for the first part has been released over at MTV Geek.

Get More: MTV Shows

What do you think? Have they captured the essence of the story?

Starring Peter Weller as Batman, Ariel Winter as Robin, David Selby as Jim Gordon, Wade Williams as Harvey Dent and Michael McKean as Dr. Wolper. Look for it on Blu-ray and DVD on September 25.

#1 Posted by NightFang (10117 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks Great!

#2 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks okay. I'm not really a fan of this getting animated.

#3 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

looks fantastic.

#4 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

so epic!! but seriously dc stop playing favorites. superman had that crap animation and look at this. its superb. picking this up on day 1.

#5 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks seriously epic!!

#6 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks great, but I have never been a huge fan of the Mutants rediculous nipples...look like huge candy kisses.

#7 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah!!!!

#8 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I'm gonna love this movie!

#9 Posted by jwalser3 (5148 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait! Hopefully the rumored Flashpoint movie will be this epic!

#10 Posted by Doc_Holliday (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm in love. Getting this on day one.

#11 Posted by cuhcoast (18 posts) - - Show Bio

yo dc make a all star batman and robin animated movie and release it on april 1rst 2013 !

#12 Posted by judasnixon (6640 posts) - - Show Bio

Swastik boobs? 

#13 Posted by fables87 (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks good, but they should do other stuff besides Batman and Superman for awhile. Maybe Flash or Aquaman.

#14 Posted by longbowhunter (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

I like what I see. May give Batman: Year One a run for its money as my favorite animated DC movie to date.

#15 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

@cuhcoast said:

yo dc make a all star batman and robin animated movie and release it on april 1rst 2013 !

this will never happen. 2 reasons: the volume isnt complete and its millar on crack=crap.

#16 Posted by The Stegman (24982 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy Sh.....

#17 Posted by cc1738 (358 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, not interested.

#18 Posted by zombietag (1495 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome! was that just me, or did i see hush at 1:12?

#19 Posted by OracleX (294 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay I'll be the first huge naysayer. I can't stand the animation style. It looks a lot like Like Year 1 which I loved, but this is a completely story in terms of plot and action. This looks to fresh and energetic. When I first opened The Dark Knight Returns, the first few pages were unnerving. The shaky frames, the gritty coloring, you felt like you were in this grim future. It looked like nothing else out there at the time. I think the plot will be accurate, but this animation style makes The Dark Knight look "normal."

#20 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks really good, I'm looking forward to seeing the Carrie Kelly Robin.

#21 Posted by Alexander505 (2161 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh boy...is awesome!!!

#22 Posted by cuhcoast (18 posts) - - Show Bio

@JohnnyWalker: well get frank miller sober and get him to finish the comic so he can do the writing for the movie !

#23 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it just me or is the movie titled "Dark Night Returns" at 1:21

#24 Posted by Jolt92 (174 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks really cool!

#25 Posted by supermanfan1234 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

@cuhcoast: and call it the godammn batman

#26 Posted by Webjaker (366 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwalser3 said:

Can't wait! Hopefully the rumored Flashpoint movie will be this epic!

PLEASE tell me you are making a joke?

#27 Posted by EpicMeltDown (66 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n: I had to check, that's what I'm seeing too.

#28 Posted by supermanfan1234 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

please dc in part 2 dont show superman getting beating up or him looking like an idiot in the whole movie you dont have to your not frank miller

#29 Posted by KMART4455 (1290 posts) - - Show Bio

OH HELL YES!

#30 Posted by Lvenger (20643 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks very good. Faithful to the original. My only concern is that since they're splitting it into two parts, part two will most likely end with the infamous Batman vs Superman fight and spark a controversial 'discussion' between who would win in a fight: Batman or Superman. Fortunately that time is not yet.

#31 Posted by CrimsonCake (2679 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to see marvel make a Spider-man Reign animated movie as a response to this.

And I just realized that The Question could appear in the second part.

#32 Posted by GalacticPunt (77 posts) - - Show Bio

@zombietag said:

That is definitely not Hush. If you haven't read Dark Knight Returns yet I recommend you fix that ASAP. It's right up there with Watchmen as one of the most influential comics ever, for good reason! Then you'll know who is under those bandages.

#33 Posted by THEBATFoE (110 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ganthetsward20: Me too!

#34 Posted by lionellaflare (17 posts) - - Show Bio

KNIGHTFALL must be the next animated movie.. please...

#35 Posted by jwalser3 (5148 posts) - - Show Bio

@Webjaker: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JakeLester/news/?a=58564 Nope, why do you not want it to happen?

#36 Posted by yusuf_iranu (13 posts) - - Show Bio

seems familiar. cause the half part of the movie had been shown in "the new batman adventure episode 19 - Legends of the dark knight"

#37 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1187 posts) - - Show Bio

robocop. the girl robin sounds hot.

#38 Posted by _jackbauer (157 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though I love Kevin Conroy as Bruce... I'm ecstatic that Peter Weller aka ROBOCOP will be voicing Batman/Bruce this time around!

Come quietly or there will be...

... trouble.

#39 Posted by NXH (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

CAN'T WAIT!!

Hope it gets released in the UK at the same time or roundabout at least.

#40 Posted by ArtGamer (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@They Killed Cap! said:

Looks great, but I have never been a huge fan of the Mutants rediculous nipples...look like huge candy kisses.

lol, same thought

#41 Posted by DarkKnight96000 (730 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't Wait!

#42 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Robo Cop+ Batman= WIN!!!

#43 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

This would work as 2 movies better than 1 IMO. The book clearly divides the parts with the mutants from the part with Superman. And my harshest criticism of the DC animated movies is how much gets cut. Since most of them clock in around 80 minutes, it's hard enough to fit a single storyline in. Because this story is essentially 2 halves, it makes sense… unless they wanted to make a feature length film… which would also be great.

#44 Posted by BigPromise (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Hate batmans voice he sounds like baine in the dark knight

#45 Posted by fACEmelter88 (613 posts) - - Show Bio

Sadly never read "The Dark Knight Returns" but I don't remember hearing anything about Batman fighting some mutant and carrying a gun but like I said never read it. Should I check it out?

#46 Posted by neale7 (124 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't stand Peter Weller's voice as Batman. It just doesn't have any emotion. The guy who is voicing the mutant leader sounds like he was really into it, unlike Weller who sounds like he just couldn't be bothered.

When it was first announced, Bruce Timm said something like the fans needn't worry as this will be done right. You'd think that DC animation would have reunited the cast of Batman:TAS for one of the most famous batman stories ever. Or at least try to. The story is a fan favourite. The cast of the animated series along with the show are fan favourites. Its win-win.

People might say that Hamill wouldn't come back, but pay him enough and he would. DC could pay him what he wants anyway as this dvd/blu-ray will bring in the money for them no doubt. Also Conroy has the voice that suits the gritty world of DKR. Even Bruce Greenwood (did a great job) would have been better from Under the Red Hood.

I know it’s only my opinion but i feel like DC animation has really missed an opportunity here.

I might get some hate here, but i wasn't a fan of Michael Ironside's voice as batman either.

#47 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11996 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks freaking amazing. I'm actually very excited for this!

#48 Posted by zombietag (1495 posts) - - Show Bio

@GalacticPunt said:

@zombietag said:

That is definitely not Hush. If you haven't read Dark Knight Returns yet I recommend you fix that ASAP. It's right up there with Watchmen as one of the most influential comics ever, for good reason! Then you'll know who is under those bandages.

ooooh yeah. i forgot about that part. ive read it but its been a looong time. imo, watchmen is much better. i see why TDKR was a big deal in its time, but im not a huge fan. BUT this movie does look pretty awesome

#49 Posted by daniel_hartles (2 posts) - - Show Bio

possibly the best thing iv seen since the first Dark Knight Rises Trailer

#50 Posted by Webjaker (366 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwalser3 said:

@Webjaker: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JakeLester/news/?a=58564 Nope, why do you not want it to happen?

I will admit, some of the 'alternate' storylines were interesting, but overall it was a mess and there was no point. They could have skipped flash point and just created the New 52 universe.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.