Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman the Animated Series Review 6-10

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

Edited By Mbecks14

My Batman the Animated Series reviews continue with episodes 6-10! My reviews will use an A(Great), B(Good), C(Ok), and D(Bad) rating system as well as my thoughts on the episode.

6. Underdwellers: We get our first original character for the animated series in the Sewer King. A surprisingly twisted tale of child abuse, urban legends, and a look at Batman’s softer side if you will. Definitely not the most dramatic or action packed episode, but Batman fights alligators which is pretty awesome! I think the Sewer King has a lot of potential to revisit. Batman admitted himself that he was tempted to break his killing rule with the Sewer King, which also reinforces Batman’s relationships with children. Having been a victim of childhood trauma, Batman has always connected with troubled youths. He really cares about kids, and I think that makes a lot of sense psychologically so I think there was a good portrayal of Bruce’s emotional involvement with the case. Definitely a surprisingly good episode considering the lack of Batman’s classic rogues. Rating: B-

7.P.O.V.: One of my favorite things that this series does is it’s more unconventional episodes in terms of storytelling. This one deals with the GCPD investigating a botched sting attempt through three different versions told by the officers involved. I think it’s a really cool way to tell a story. You also get to know Commissioner Gordon, and Detective Bullock better and meet Renee Montoya, while dealing with the mobsters of Gotham which helps build the world of Gotham City. Montoya really comes across as a strong willed cop who is really dedicated to her job and doing what’s right while being quite the bad ass. I’m really glad they created her, and she’s left quite a legacy in the comics since. It’s actually a really interesting episode despite the lack of traditional villains. Rating: A-

8. The Forgotten: What strikes me most about this episode is that I don’t remember it at all. Not whatsoever. I watched this show a lot as a kid, but obviously I hadn’t seen every episode. But I re-watched the entire series a few years ago, and somehow I must have missed this one? The fact that I don’t remember this one is especially ironic based on the Bruce Wayne amnesia plot of the episode. Basically, Batman goes undercover to get to the bottom of missing poor people and ends up losing his memory and working for a gluttonous slob in the mines. The highlights of the episode are Bruce’s struggle to regain his memory and Alfred flying the Batplane. Ultimately the episode is forgettable. Rating: C-

9. Be a Clown: The Joker returns to target the Mayor of Gotham by infiltrating his son’s birthday party and unwittingly convinces him to run away and join him. A really good Batman vs the Joker story that isn’t too over the top and really takes advantage of the creepy circus/clown theme. The Joker is scary and dangerous and his laugh is perfect! And Batman vs the Joker on a roller coaster? That’s just great! Rating: B+

10.Two-Face part 1: Harvey Dent’s transformation into Two-Face begins! This is one of my all time favorite episodes! This episode is appropriately broken into two parts, so I will review both episodes individually and then as a whole. This episode really hammers in who Harvey Dent is in Gotham and his friendship with Bruce Wayne. We also learn that Harvey has been seeking treatment for an already existing personality disorder. The episode is dramatic and intense with some fun action scenes and a strong build up to the destruction of Harvey’s face. The episode ends on a powerful note when we see what Harvey has become! Two-Face is one of my favorite Bat-villains, and they really did such a killer job making Harvey Dent a really great character. And the contrast between Harvey and “Big Bad Harv” are almost chilling. Definitely a don’t miss episode! Rating: A+

To read the rest of my reviews so far, check here and stay tuned for more:

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/mbecks14/batman-the-animated-series-review-1-5/87-85669/

JSH92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JSH92

Yea, the Two-Face two-parter is one the best of the series.

I've always listed the Underdwellers as pretty high too. I still remember watching that one when I was a little kid (I've seen it more recently, so I remember it much better now). I remember that as a kid watching it I thought that the sewer urchin that Batman brings into his home was Robin.

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MasterDetective

"8. The Forgotten: C-"

your review is bad and you should feel bad

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mbecks14

@MasterDetective: well ouch. Why do you say that?

MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MasterDetective

Because I personally loved it. Oh well, just sayin'

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mbecks14

@MasterDetective: So because you loved the episode my review is bad? I didn't hate the episode by any means but in a sea of such amazing stories, this one just didn't measure up in my opinion. I mean I gave it a C which is Ok. You could've just said you disagreed and then explained what you liked about it.

MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MasterDetective

I'm too lazy for that. I wasn't criticizing your review BTW, I like your threads

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mbecks14

@MasterDetective said:

I'm too lazy for that. I wasn't criticizing your review BTW, I like your threads

your review is bad and you should feel bad

sounded kinda like a harsh criticism.

edit; no hard feelings though

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.