Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman the Animated Series Review 11-15

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

Edited By Mbecks14

My Batman the Animated Series reviews continue with episodes 11-15! My reviews will use an A(Great), B(Good), C(Ok), and D(Bad) rating system as well as my thoughts on the episode.

11. Two-Face part 2: The Two-Face story continues! Harvey has embraced his dark side and has become the gangster, Two-Face. I love that Harvey has become the kind of gangster that he was fighting against as the DA. It’s a really cool parallel. Batman is being eaten up by guilt, which makes the whole episode really hit home for Bruce which helps the story feel so much more personal. I also love Two-Face’s obsession with chance and good and evil as he continues to struggle between his revenge and humanity. The episode continues the Dent vs Thorne rivalry and Dent’s romance with Grace. The episode is intense, dramatic, and epic. The Two-Face saga is one of the episodes that cannot be missed! Rating: A+

12. It’s Never Too Late: This episode digs into the criminal underworld of Gotham’s mobsters. Rupert Thorne’s rivalry with Stromwell is an interesting story of gang war and ultimately redemption. The way Batman deals with Stromwell to get him to try to get him to quit the life of crime is unique, since he doesn’t use violence or intimidation but guilt and exposing the ramifications of his sins. Stromwell proves to be a pretty complex character with a really tortured past who struggles to face his crippling guilt. Though not as exciting as some of Batman’s rogues, the Gotham Gangs are always good for some more real world drama. Pretty entertaining episode despite the lack of flashy thrills and a good exploration of the world of Gotham City. Rating: C

13. I’ve Got Batman In My Basement: In another cool departure from the normal Batman tale, we get to meet the Penguin. Roberta and Sherman are two kids who stumble into the cross hairs of Batman’s investigation into the Penguin’s avian themed crimes. The Penguin has never been a favorite of mine personally, so the villain of the story didn’t do a lot for me. But the episode was fun nonetheless due to the budding detective team of the local kids. Interesting to see how regular kids react to Batman, and I personally love the moment when Sherman doesn’t let the other kids take off Batman’s mask. Overall, a fun episode. Rating: C+

14. Heart of Ice: Arguably the greatest episode in the entire series. Victor Fries seeks vengeance against Ferris Boyle (fantastically voiced by Mark Hamill aka the Joker) for the death of his wife and destroying his life. A lovingly devoted man now devoid of feelings and being cursed with needing to be at sub zero temperatures at all times, Victor Fries brings a lot of emotion to the table for a man without any. The whole episode is fantastic, from the excellent scoring to the clever character dialogue, to the animation. Bruce Timm and Paul Dini are a dream team! It’s hard to describe just how beautiful this story really is. We get a tragic villain who challenges Batman to be a detective and a crime fighter. Absolutely must see episode. Rating:A+

15. The Cat and the Claw part 1: Another two-part episode arc broken up in my reviews Grr. Irregardless, in the Cat and the Claw we get to meet Catwoman! In this universe, Selina Kyle is an animal rights activist and socialite who has caught the attention of Bruce Wayne. An interesting take on the Bat/Cat relationship along a similar line to the Superman/Lois/Clark love traingle, Bruce wants Selina who only has eyes for Batman. This episode establishes Catwoman as a well intended thief and the Red Claw as a formidable terrorist organization. As a big fan of Batman and Catwoman, I liked this episode. I’m a little torn on this interpretation of Selina Kyle. I don’t really like her as a blond (nit-picky I know) and I don’t know how much I like her as a wealthy socialite. It’s not a bad version of the character, just different and not my favorite. I do like her in the Catwoman costume, and this is one of my favorite looks for the character, as Catwoman she’s dangerous and flirty and I like that. But the episode also feels a little low thrill. The episode is in two parts, so I will continue the review in the next segment. So far the episode gets a Rating: B

Check the rest of my reviews so far here:

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/mbecks14/batman-the-animated-series-review-1-5/87-85669/

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/mbecks14/batman-the-animated-series-review-6-10/87-85721/

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmashBrawler

I love these reviews.

Heart of Ice truly is a masterpiece, especially at the time when such stories weren't very common with supervillains.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.