Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23637 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman: Streets Of Gotham #4 Reviewed

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Another issue of Batman: Streets Of Gotham is here.  This issue takes a slightly different turn.  Getting closer to the actual title, this issue doesn't really focus so much on Batman but rather one of the characters on the 'Streets of Gotham.'  While we do see Batman and Robin here, the main focus is on the the Broker.

Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen give us an interesting issue.  I have been wondering about the title of this series.  Now we're actually seeing more of the other characters in Gotham.  The question is, is it enough to carry an issue.  One one hand, we do already have several Batman titles.  Is this one really necessary?  For me, it's been the creative team that's been carrying this book.  This is also supposed to be a Batman title though.  

What we have is a focus on the character the Broker.  This is the guy we say back in Gotham City Sirens #1.  He's the guy that sells real estate property to the 'villains' in Gotham to use as their hideouts.  While at first he may seem like a boring character, it does open up a new door.  I have to admit that I never really thought about the villains and their hideouts.  I never really thought about what they need to do to find the perfect place.  With trying to come up with the perfect scheme and managing their henchmen, who has time to go shopping for new real estate?  While this is an interesting take on the whole villain thing, is it enough for the main focus on the issue?  But don't get me wrong, we do have some developments and are seeing more on Mr. Zsasz.  We get a little glimpse into this freaky dude's life.  It makes you wonder what he's going to do next.

The "Second Feature" continues the story of Manhunter.  As I mentioned in my review for issue #3, she's just not a character that I've been interested in.  It's great for her fans that there's a place to read her adventures.  I just wish it was somewhere else.

What are your thoughts on this issue?  Are you digging what Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen are doing here?  Do you like the idea of seeing about characters like the Broker or would you rather see more on Batman?  What would you want the focus of this comic to be?
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Moomin123

Mr. Zsasz is so creepy. No wonder he's not in many Batman cartoon adaptions.

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Grendel

I like the way this series focuses on multiple characters. The Hush/Bruce Wayne stuff is brilliant and the Broker narration was great. This is my favorite Bat title. Sure Morrison's is exciting and somewhat fresh, but I always walk out of a Dini issue feeling I got my money's worth.

dbluejays1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By dbluejays1990

3.5 come on g-man I give these 4 out of 5 is great,is like reading a good movie made,this series is awesome my comic book store sold me this title for 2.99 maybe a mistake but I kept my mouth shut.other than that avoid the fact is 3.99 unless the store makes another mistake or generous but still Im sticking to this series next issues ahead is man-bat and huntress should be good.I hate Mr.Zsasz even during the gotham knights book era but the story is good big fan of dinni.the direction of hush also brilliant makes sense so nobody suspects about why is batman and bruce missing,at leat hush is bruce nobody suspects.great story.
    Dipic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dipic

Nice bat carving on the wall behind you, G-man. LOL

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#5  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @dbluejays1990: If I paid $2.99, I'd rate it higher.  For me, it's the 'second feature' that takes away from the book because I'm not a Manhunter fan.  Maybe I just never gave her a chance.  It is a good story.  I even took the time to make a page for The Broker.  I was surprised he didn't have one.  I just wanted a little more out of this.  I do love what Dini and Nguyen are doing though.

@Dipic: As far as that Bat-carving, you can get the story behind it (sort of) here:  
    http://www.comicvine.com/news/red-robin-4-reviewed-whats-the-bat-symbol-mean/139350/
    Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By Dr. Maxwell

I really wish they'd drop the second feature things, not a fan of Manhunter or the New Question at all

ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwh

I really dig these. No other rogue's gallery touches Gotham and a big part of that is the vast majority of them aren't "super". I wish more people would understand and try and duplicate Batman's appeal. Its not all about creating some new ultimate evil every year.

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By SevanGrim

perfect issue. perfect character.  5 outa 5.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@G-Man: Seeing as how Kate Spencer(Manhunter) is the new Gotham District Attorney it kinda makes sense that she is the co feature on Streets of Gotham
    burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By burr787

I love that this comic focuses on the b-listers. You can find out about Batman through several other books, but we hardly ever see half of the characters in this book. Damian was also pretty funny in this, this book isn't Batman and Robin but it's becoming one of the better books to be recently introduced.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Media_Master

Yeah, Manhunter is kinda lame...

dbluejays1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dbluejays1990
    @Dr. Maxwell:
    yeah I agree with you not a big fan as well,I like the question but not a fan.I just like manhunter from her Birds of Prey days,but I just don't see why we need these character at all or many others.
    Obsurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Obsurity

I thought it was an okay issue about 3/5. It 's interesting to see how the other characters seamlessly fit into Gotham. I'm curious to see what Mr. Zsasz has in store for his new lair. As for the Broker, I enjoyed the ending.
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bruce Vain

I've never really cared for the Manhunter stories at all either. 

Prime_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Prime_2

did anyone else see the bat-symbol behind G-man's head?

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tyler Starke

they need to get rid of second features and make longer stories for the main book, Manhunter sucks and Starman or whatever the hell is on the back end of Adventure comics suck.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By NightFang3

I like how the villains have guys like the Broker working for them. 

Avatar image for chocolate_lantern
    Chocolate Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This series is my favorite current Batman series! This issue was great I cannot wait to see what is going to happen in the next one. I know there wasn't a lot of Batman in this one, but I feel all that this set up with the Broker and Zsasz in this issue is just making this story more and more exciting! They are building up for something great. And yes Zsasz is really creepy!!!
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By goldenkey
    @Moomin123 said:
    " Mr. Zsasz is so creepy. No wonder he's not in many Batman cartoon adaptions. "

is he in any? 
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20  Edited By DMC
    @ryanwh said:
    " I really dig these. No other rogue's gallery touches Gotham and a big part of that is the vast majority of them aren't "super". I wish more people would understand and try and duplicate Batman's appeal. Its not all about creating some new ultimate evil every year. "
    Well said

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.