Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23537 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman Reboot

MisterJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MisterJ

So i hear talk of the Batman movie franchise being rebooted sometime after the Dark Knight Rises. What do you think of this? Personally, i'm glad to hear it. The Nolan movies are fantastic, but it's not REALLY Batman. This is obviously not the comic universe we know and love. With this ultra realistic world, it can't allow for very cool characters, such as Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, or Mr. Freeze, because they're not grounded in reality. So, what's your opinion? Do you like this gritty, real world tone Nolan has created? Would you be happy to see them get less realistic with this reboot? Or did you just dislike the Nolan movies in general, and if so, why? Post your thoughts below.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

I have mixed feelings on it.  

I think it's cool that we get another Batman story to look at, weather it's realistic or not. Mr. Freeze and Ivy are two of my fav's, and maybe one day they could get them right. Robin/Nightwing too. There has yet to be a good movie with both Batman and Robin. I just hope we don't get another origin story. Let it start in the middle of Bruce's career. Maybe start the new trilogy with Bruce recruiting Dick Grayson as the first Robin. 

I also think it sucks to see this trilogy go. Depending on how it ends, there might be a way to continue it, but I doubt that'll be the case. Bale, Ledger, Neeson, and Oldman really gave new breath into their characters and they'll be missed. 

Zachattack1239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Zachattack1239

As much as i love the nolan movies i completely agree with you. I would like a reboot after TDKR and i would like to see characters such as killer croc in a less realistic tone. I still think it needs to be somewhat believable though so people can take it seriously but i completely agree with you

MisterJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MisterJ

Yeah, Batman should always be a little believable. He doesn't have any powers after all. It's hard to find that perfect balance of gritty realism and comic book action. Let's just hope it doesnt get campy...nobody wants another Batman and Robin.

TheBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By TheBatman

I'm a big fan of Nolan's Batman films but yeah, I agree that they are not a totally accurate depiction of Batman, merely an interpretation. The thought of a re-boot though... I mean, after the TDK RISES Hmm, gets me nervous. 
    I liked the fact that Nolan's universe was so grounded in reality. I mean, look at all the Batman films prior to Nolan. Show a modern audience those films and they'll just laugh. I think they only way to go about presenting characters like Croc or Ivy, etc to a moderrn audience is through a different media. 
    For example, the Rocksteady 'Arkham' games. They're gritty and they feel somewhat REALISTIC even though, obviously giant plants aren't gonna come outta the ground and try kill us anytime soon =P It's much easier to push the boundries of reality with the video game media, but film, not so.
    Batman is a character that wants to be taken seriously. More so nowadays than ever before. I think a reboot would still wouldn't allow for characters like Croc of Ivy, any of those characters that are somewhat... Let's say a little TOO imaginative =P 
    The trend in cinema today is to make everything darker and more gritty. THE MAN OF STEEL movie for example, taking a character like Superman and making him a little more... believable. The new AMAZING SPIDERMAN film is following the same trend! 
    But then again, who knows! If they can make films about a man from outta space, who can fly and shoot lasers from his eyes, I'm sure a film about a man with croc gens isn't totally outta the picture yet! =P
    nnotdead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nnotdead

the fact that i will no longer have to hear Bale gargle rocks while delivering lines as Batman is a very good thing.

MisterJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MisterJ

Yes, Bale's voice is a bit...over the top.  And i agree,  the Arkham games have just the right tone. If anything, i'd just like to see a 2 hour long CGI movie with Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xybernauts
    @MisterJ said:
    So i hear talk of the Batman movie franchise being rebooted sometime after the Dark Knight Rises. What do you think of this? Personally, i'm glad to hear it. The Nolan movies are fantastic, but it's not REALLY Batman. This is obviously not the comic universe we know and love. With this ultra realistic world, it can't allow for very cool characters, such as Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, or Mr. Freeze, because they're not grounded in reality. So, what's your opinion? Do you like this gritty, real world tone Nolan has created? Would you be happy to see them get less realistic with this reboot? Or did you just dislike the Nolan movies in general, and if so, why? Post your thoughts below.
    I totally agree. Love Nolan. He's advanced the on screen portrayal of Batman by leaps and bounds and I'll always love him for that, but he fails in his inability to adhere to source materials and in his inability to incorporate the "unrealistic" aspects of the Batman universe. Truthfully, I think it was possible to do, but he clearly hasn't been interested in doing it. Personally I'd like something that keeps Nolan's realistic version of Batman, but that's flexible enough to weave in the superpowered and supernatural elements as well. They should continue to film on location as well. I'd also like something that uses a Batmobile that looks like a car not a tank. Love the Tumbler, but it's simply not a Bat"mobile".  

@TheBatman
    said:
    I'm a big fan of Nolan's Batman films but yeah, I agree that they are not a totally accurate depiction of Batman, merely an interpretation. The thought of a re-boot though... I mean, after the TDK RISES Hmm, gets me nervous. I liked the fact that Nolan's universe was so grounded in reality. I mean, look at all the Batman films prior to Nolan. Show a modern audience those films and they'll just laugh. I think they only way to go about presenting characters like Croc or Ivy, etc to a moderrn audience is through a different media. For example, the Rocksteady 'Arkham' games. They're gritty and they feel somewhat REALISTIC even though, obviously giant plants aren't gonna come outta the ground and try kill us anytime soon =P It's much easier to push the boundries of reality with the video game media, but film, not so.Batman is a character that wants to be taken seriously. More so nowadays than ever before. I think a reboot would still wouldn't allow for characters like Croc of Ivy, any of those characters that are somewhat... Let's say a little TOO imaginative =P The trend in cinema today is to make everything darker and more gritty. THE MAN OF STEEL movie for example, taking a character like Superman and making him a little more... believable. The new AMAZING SPIDERMAN film is following the same trend! But then again, who knows! If they can make films about a man from outta space, who can fly and shoot lasers from his eyes, I'm sure a film about a man with croc gens isn't totally outta the picture yet! =P
    It can be done. I think Marvel movies have proven that to some degree. I think Batman and Robin is a terrible example because it was a joke. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. It was a cheap hack job that attempted to sell a reimagined version the 60's Batman to an adult audience. I think that now DC realizes to keep the campy stuff for the kids. If they took the unrealastic aspects of Batman comics and tried to stay true to the portrayals presented in the comics, I think characters like Croc and Ivy and Robin would have a real chance at success. 
    Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Aiden Cross

I prefer to have a Nolan Nightwing movie instead of new Batman movies. There are more characters in DC besides Batman that deserve a great movie =)

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By VampireSelektor
    @Aiden Cross said:

I prefer to have a Nolan Nightwing movie instead of new Batman movies. There are more characters in DC besides Batman that deserve a great movie =)

X D
    ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ThanosIsMad

They shouldn't reboot, they should just do it like James Bond so nothing in the future contradicts the past, but continues with its own style.

MisterJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MisterJ

I'd like to see Clayface. Imagne how cool of a fight that would be on the big screen?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.