Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman or Spider-Man - Who's the better hero?

• 90 results
    Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Poll Batman or Spider-Man - Who's the better hero? (129 votes)

Batman 57%
    Spider-Man 43%

Batman or Spider-Man - Who's the better hero?

I don't mean who's the better character or who do you like more, what I mean is who's more heroic? Who has proven his worth as a hero to his city? Who's more necessary to the salvation of his city (let's forget about the Avengers, the FF and JL for a minute)?

• 
    HighlyEvolved

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Spider-Man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are both great. But there are tons of heroes in NYC. Batman owns Gotham, it would have been destroyed long ago without him. They really are pretty much equal though in terms of heroics. Both are fearless and will do anything to save people.

Animalteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both r great heroes and why r u asking it in batman forum

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman is more heroic and better hero, Batman is just cooler and better character.

I3IO_HAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman by far

Spider-Man looks like a goofy dweeb and a noob compared to Batman

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

Spiderman is more heroic so I chose him. Even though they're both great at protecting people Batman isn't a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a Dark Knight.

Tikbaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman.

@jayc1324 said:

They are both great. But there are tons of heroes in NYC. Batman owns Gotham, it would have been destroyed long ago without him. They really are pretty much equal though in terms of heroics. Both are fearless and will do anything to save people.

It is as this man says. Gotham most likely cannot survive without Batman. New York will thrive without Spiderman. One is risking his life for the benefits of others every night when he goes out on patrol. The other has super powers and is in no real danger most of the time. Both are great hereos, two of the three most iconic and recognizable heroes ever, but Batman is a better hero just because his city requires him, and, like a firefighter, he places himself in mortal peril to save others. Spiderman's New York, on the other hand, has plenty of heroes who can keep it safe, and he really isn't risking himself physically when he goes out.

Still, I love 'em both, though.

Jay_Russ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, the human element of Batman will always make him the better hero, in my opinion. Granted, many people will never see the amount of money he makes in a life time, nor do the majority of us have a bat cave underneath our homes. Still, there is something about a person who is powerless, literally, standing up against injustice, making things right. It's one of the main reasons Batman is my personal favorite hero. No powers, no magic, just a man using a lot of money and resources to do right, which makes him that much more endearing because with that much money a lot of people would turn a blind eye, live off on the hill, go vacation, and forget about crime. To throw yourself in it, without powers, making it easier for you to lose a lot more easier when compared to heroes like Superman, Spiderman or any other hero with powers is why Batman gets my vote.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@tikbaz: no real danger? I'm sorry but that's not true.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Damn. It's in the Batman forum section yet Spidey's still winning. Weird.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
    linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman...

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Bruce.

sacredweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sacredweapons
    No Caption Provided

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey. He just has more "heart" than Batman, imo. The stoic brooding routine never really felt heroic to me. Badass, but not necessarily heroic.

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MyNameIsWill
    Tikbaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello fellow viner, thanks for responding!

@tikbaz: no real danger? I'm sorry but that's not true.

When I say Spiderman isn't in any real danger, I mean petty crooks and murderers can't do anything to him. Of course he can be hurt fighting an out of control Hulk or Phoenix. Of course he can be hurt dealing with symbiotes like Carnage and Venom. One of the Goblins or an errant Juggernaut headbutt can harm him. I'm talking about fighting regular bad guys, or jumping into burning buildings to save someone stuck in a blazing inferno. Parker has the spider sense, which is precognition, basically. Bullets aren't a danger to him, jumping off of rooftops with his enhanced spider strength and durability is no danger to him. On the off chance that he does somehow get hit or hurt, he has a low level healing factor that will, over time, heal him right up. I did not mean he was completely invulnerable or immune to all cosmic forces or anything like that.

Put it like this, both can dodge bullets, but only one of them hasto try in order to not die(barring new52 Batman's bulletproof suit, of course).

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Spider-Man inspires hope, while Batman inspires fear.

Spider-Man is a better hero. Batman may be more badass to some people, with his brooding and "dark" attitude, but in the end, Spidey is a true hero, even more than Batman.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is in the Batman forum and Spiderman is giving a good fight.

At this point Spiderman dont need to be a badass that has everything solve and is crazy good at everything.

He can actually lose.

Sorry but that is more heroic that Batman.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Bezza

Woah, Spidey is winning and this is in the Batman forum. Impressive stuff. Actually I voted for Spiderman too, I think he is the better "hero"...at the moment I am reading loads of Spiderman and Batman stuff. I love both characters and find it hard to split them tbh, but Spiderman is more heroic IMO. This picture sums it up for me.

No Caption Provided

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman. I used to like Spider-Man (am kind of indifferent to the character now), but even if I go back to when I used to adore Spidey, Batman is still more heroic. Batman is effectively putting his ass on the line for those who can't defend themselves while fighting against threats so much more powerful than him, and armed with nothing more than his wits and skill. Spider-Man...I'm sorry, but when was the last time that Spider-Man was ever actually in danger in a fight? He doesn't even have to try, his spider-sense takes care of it all for him. For him, getting a bunch of dudes from a burning building is a piece of cake. For Batman, it's an exercise in precision, timing, endurance and being willing to sacrifice everything to save innocents.

Yes, Batman has had his moments of assholery, but so has Spider-Man (heck, early Spider-Man was pretty much an annoying, motor-mouthed dickhead), but ultimately, I see Batman as just more heroic to be willing to put in a herculean effort just to save Gotham's soul. Batman may have started out motivated by his parents' deaths - but he has since become a truly selfless hero, with thoughts of revenge and childhood trauma now behind him. Spider-Man? He's a great character - one of the great characters in comics, I will not dispute that - but more heroic? I don't think so.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok guys, i dont want to be a party pooper, but the whole Batman has no power argument isnt real anymore.

Batman has plot powers, they are getting bigger with time and lets face his "fan base" want him always to win, there is no real danger with Batman anymore.

Batman gets new skills, new gadgets and new everything as the plots demand it, this i known as

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NewPowersAsThePlotDemands

Lets face it, in the moment Batman got a chance against Darkseid, was the moment Batman plot powers got out of hand.

Spiderman has to face real dangers more often that Batman, which is sad.

No Caption Provided

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tie.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok guys, i dont want to be a party pooper, but the whole Batman has no power argument isnt real anymore.

Batman has plot powers, they are getting bigger with time and lets face his "fan base" want him always to win, there is no real danger with Batman anymore.

Batman gets new skills, new gadgets and new everything as the plots demand it, this i known as

Lets face it, in the moment Batman got a chance against Darkseid, was the moment Batman plot powers got out of hand.

No Caption Provided

So you're implying that Batman is....Dare I mention

Perfect?

Or a better term, Too Perfect?

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey by all definitions is the definitive humanitarian and purity incarnate. Batman is pure retributive passion and justice, but is like someone else said a dark and miserable man who shuts himself off.

Therefor Spidey wins for the favorable opinion of being more friendly and gotten together.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I don't care for either

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Spiderman.

Batman has literally let thousands die over the years, and millions suffer due to his retarded "moral code". Spiderman did what he needed to do when push came to shove.

Batman-Hush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey:

You obviously don't understand the efficiency ethics behind his "retarded" moral code. Don't you recall Civil War? I think that and Amazing Fantasy #15 speaks pretty loud.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batman-hush: Yes, Spidey has his down falls. But the death of his Uncle, though very hard to himself and his aunt, is nothing compared to Batman's villains. Shoot, Joker alone has killed many more then the bodies Spidey has let died. The Dark Knight Returns come's to mind. Jason Todd? Batman Confidential #11?

Batman-Hush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey:

I don't find The Dark Knight Returns fair to use given it's lack in canonicity. Jason Todd's death was brought solely on himself. HE wrongfully used Batman's credit cards for secret travel. HE went to Ethiopia after being laid off. HE ignored Batman's orders. HE revealed himself as Robin. Batman Confidential #11? Are you faulting Batman for saving someone's life?

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman.

Batman has literally let thousands die over the years, and millions suffer due to his retarded "moral code". Spiderman did what he needed to do when push came to shove.

The same "retarded moral code" that Spider-Man has?

As I recall, Spider-Man let millions of people die horribly just because he didn't want to kill Carnage.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man operates in New York. Do you know just how many heroes there are in New York? I love him, but his dominion is pretty local.

Batman not only runs an ENTIRE city, by himself, but he's in the Justice League. He helps protect the entire WORLD, how many times does Spider-Man deal with a global threat? Once in a blue moon.

Batman does it daily.

I love them both, but Bruce is easily the better hero.

Jmarshmallow

Batman-Hush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orangebat:

Here, Here! We shall disprove this guy completely!!!

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

@orangebat said:
    @petey_is_spidey said:

Spiderman.

As I recall, Spider-Man let millions of people die horribly just because he didn't want to kill Carnage.

But when push comes to shove, Spiderman can, and has killed someone. Batman has literally NEVER(That I can recall of at least). Also, when did this happen?

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeremy1989: He is as perfect as the plot needs him to be.

Better, the plot is what Batman needs the plot to be, in some way he now can control reality, not his but our reality that is the one that control his.

His power go beyond anything i can understand at this point.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batman-hush: Joker is just the one example of where he could kill a villain, but chooses not to. I do admit, that Batman has a whole lot on his plat; Spidey has dozens of heroes in NYC at his side while Batman has to handle all of Gotham alone, but I just think that Spidey has a better life saved to spared ratio then Batman.

Batman-Hush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Batman-Hush

@petey_is_spidey:

But that's beside the point. Batman saves as many lives as he can. It is not Batman's right to kill ANYONE. No matter the struggles, Bruce's strength has allowed him to overcome his own personal desires to end Joker' life. It isn't his place to kill someone. Neither is it the GCPD. Killing Joker would be just the headline that people like Vicki Vale or Lex Luthor could manipulate into such bad publicity that nothing could be the same within the superhero community. We'd have Marvel's Civil War on our hands. When Batman has killed Joker he has sunk to his level. Have you read Amazing Spider-Man #50?

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

The thing is, as true as that is, Batman doesn't know it. To him, every day is still a risk. WE might know he'll always make it out, but he doesn't, yet he does what he does anyway.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poll is biased

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jeremy1989

Better, the plot is what Batman needs the plot to be, in some way he now can control reality, not his but our reality that is the one that control his.

No Caption Provided

Do you know what that means?
    It means that the DC Universe is going to transform into the BATMAN Universe.
    Since the DC Universe revolves around Batman, it would make sense.

Side Note: If Batman is so "powerful", why didn't he rid the evils he vowed to do?

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey said:

@orangebat said:
    @petey_is_spidey said:

Spiderman.

But when push comes to shove, Spiderman can, and has killed someone. Batman has literally NEVER(That I can recall of at least). Also, when did this happen?

When has Spider-Man killed someone? I am seriously struggling to recall a single instance in the mainstream universe. If we're talking everything, including non-canon stuff, then the Nolan films have Batman killing people with very little regret.

(And an example of Batman killing someone in the mainstream - KGBeast. Technically, he left him to die, but the original story doesn't really leave much doubt that KGBeast was doomed)

The Spider-Man/Carnage nonsense happened in Spider-Man: Maximum Garba...er, sorry, Maximum Carnage, from what I recall.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

No Caption Provided

Do you know what that means?

It means that the DC Universe is going to transform into the BATMAN Universe.

Since the DC Universe revolves around Batman, it would make sense.

Side Note: If Batman is so "powerful", why didn't he rid the evils he vowed to do?

No Caption Provided

No villains = no more Batman.

Besides his crazy not killing rule.

Gloombot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Gloombot

Nolan's Batman never killed anyone. He let Ra's die, but that's it. He even said, I'm not gonna kill you, but I don't have to save you either. Ra's resurrected in the pit anyways.

DKR Batman did kill Joker finally.

Spiderman has killed...

http://www.spiderfan.org/faq/killed.html

I definitely vote Batman. He's just as heroic though he may be dark. He's the perfect fit for Gotham, you couldn't have someone like Spiderman slinging around Gotham, it wouldn't be the Spiderman you all know, he'd be changed, different by the city. The pressures and the evil that Gotham portrays. Gotham is a city full of evil crimelords and terrible ancient evils as old as the city itself. Spiderman faces purse-snatching thugs in New York... There's been several times where Batman was intending to kill Joker, one time even Jim Gordon put a gun to the back of Batman's head and told him if he ever did that Jim would take him down. His morale code isn't what get's people killed, it's what saves people, and it's what saves himself. Batman faces more threats, bigger threats, and badder threats than Spiderman ever does, in a city that spawns evil. Spiderman is more like a neighborhood crime watch volunteer compared to Batman.

Avatar image for hauntedgraveyard
    HauntedGraveyard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HauntedGraveyard

@gloombot said:

Nolan's Batman never killed anyone. He let Ra's die, but that's it. He even said, I'm not gonna kill you, but I don't have to save you either. Ra's resurrected in the pit anyways.

Nolan's Batman killed the truck driver in TDKR.

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both r great heroes and why r u asking it in batman forum

there is the exact same thread in the spider-man forum

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gloombot said:

DKR Batman did kill Joker finally.

Spiderman has killed...

http://www.spiderfan.org/faq/killed.html

I definitely vote Batman. He's just as heroic though he may be dark. He's the perfect fit for Gotham, you couldn't have someone like Spiderman slinging around Gotham, it wouldn't be the Spiderman you all know, he'd be changed, different by the city. The pressures and the evil that Gotham portrays. Gotham is a city full of evil crimelords and terrible ancient evils as old as the city itself. Spiderman faces purse-snatching thugs in New York... There's been several times where Batman was intending to kill Joker, one time even Jim Gordon put a gun to the back of Batman's head and told him if he ever did that Jim would take him down. His morale code isn't what get's people killed, it's what saves people, and it's what saves himself. Batman faces more threats, bigger threats, and badder threats than Spiderman ever does, in a city that spawns evil. Spiderman is more like a neighborhood crime watch volunteer compared to Batman.

check this out it shows brutal murders batman has done

http://www.cracked.com/article_20111_the-6-most-brutal-murders-committed-by-batman.html

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It takes Spidey, FF, H4H, DD, MK, Tony Stark, and probably Punisher to keep NYC safe.

It takes one man, able to operate even without sidekicks, to clean Gotham. Batman.

Gloombot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Gloombot

@amazingspiderman15 said:

http://www.cracked.com/article_20111_the-6-most-brutal-murders-committed-by-batman.html

95% of those are from 1940, over 70 years ago. I never would validate or confirm KGBeast either, who says KGBeast didn't escape or was let out.

And almost every in depth review on the 2007 issue (Frank Miller... he WAS the only writer to have Batman kill someone, the Joker), doesn't express that Batman's setting the criminals on fire actually killed them.

Even if you did credit the last two, it's been over 70 years before that. Spiderman has killed dozens and over recent timelines.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.