Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23630 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman New 52 Timeline?

UltimateSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

This is the worst timeline for the batman comics possible. I mean, base on this, Damian is only six years old when he dies, even though he is physically 10? Dick Grayson became robin roughly 5 years ago, lasting only 2 years as Robin, with Batgirl only lasting one year until she becomes paralyzed. Jason Todd is killed the same year he becomes Robin. What the heck could he have done in his time as Robin? Tim Drake lasts one year as Robin. Damian takes Tim's place, without ever introducing Cassandra Cain or Stephanie Brown. Tim Drakes uses the name Red Robin, before Damian takes his place. Barbara is only paralyzed for two years. I really hate this timeline. It shows that Batman sucks at keeping a sidekick, seeing as how they only last between a year to two, when it should be much longer. It shows that Barbara is incompetent as Batgirl, and that nobody cared for the role as Batgirl enough to take it (ahem Cassandra). These events are too rushed, and should be a period of twenty years, not 11. Any thoughts? I just don't understand why DC would go with such a problematic format.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Experio

What can I say.....

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ya the new 52 timeline is crap they basicaly made becoming a Robin meaningless becuase i guess just anyone can learn all the skills needed to be a crime fighter in a year you know something that took Bruce his whole life and i guess Batman gets over death pretty freakin quikly sense it only took Batman a year to get over Jason's death before he brings in Tim.

than in only a two years span he gets his back broken by bane heals finds out he has a son, dies and than comes back

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah this sucks. And knightfall takes a year so that's a full year wasted already as well as all the other batman stories that are supposed to be canon still. And the timeline for the robins is stupid too

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also when did he meet Talia and have time to develop a relationship and sleep with her? Must've been before he became batman for him to be six years old. He should actually be ten but that just make the timeline even worse and more nonsensical.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The worst timeline ever, if I could I'd break legs and faces of these moronic writers.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LordoftheNorth

@lifeofvibe: and that just the tip of the iceburg i would go on but i would kind of fell like a ranting jackass

Azrael_Online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Azrael_Online

According to this Knightfall didn't even really happen, batman just encountered Bane, got injured pretty bad and the city pretty much just went down the hole assuming it was just Nightwing and Robin fighting crime. I don't quite get why DC has such a hardon for keeping Bane so badly, why, because of TDKR and because they don't want to pay Joe Quesada his due for his part in things? They pretty much make it seem like Jason only lasted like a few months. I'd actually be interested in seeing @LordoftheNorth timeline of how much more screwed up things are, but I have a bad enough headache from my weekend course work :p

UltimateSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By UltimateSaiyan

@azrael_online said:

According to this Knightfall didn't even really happen, batman just encountered Bane, got injured pretty bad and the city pretty much just went down the hole assuming it was just Nightwing and Robin fighting crime. I don't quite get why DC has such a hardon for keeping Bane so badly, why, because of TDKR and because they don't want to pay Joe Quesada his due for his part in things? They pretty much make it seem like Jason only lasted like a few months. I'd actually be interested in seeing @LordoftheNorth timeline of how much more screwed up things are, but I have a bad enough headache from my weekend course work :p

And with Dick Grayson [as Batman] and Robin fighting crime, and having Batman "dissapear", would that be a reference to Final Crisis/Battle for the Cowl/Bruce Wayne: the Road Home? In that case, the timeline/story line is even more screwed up. I don't know what's canon and what isn't.

Azrael_Online

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Azrael_Online

@genesisx: the writers just didn't think things through enough. They love to throw around the word 'reimagine' to cover up for the fact that a lot of the newer writers don't really care for the history that was there before them so 'the new 52' covers those blunders and the fact that they didn't care to do their research and work within the confines of the rich history of the DC universe.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LordoftheNorth

@genesisx: the Crisis' did indeed happen just not the way we think they happened. So as far as we know Dick was Batman for a time(mentioned not only in Nightwing number 1 but in Batman INC 13) but that is of course from a tweet from Didio so that might just be him blowing smoke up ours butts.

Now that iam on the subject Dick became Robin when he was 15 so if we follow the time line you will notice something very stupid and that is the time between when Dick was Robin and Bruce died is only 4 years thats right Dick became Batman when he was only 19 years old...god this time line is stupid

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best way to deal with is forget about the timeline and try to enjoy the story.

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@genesisx:

Stephanie Brown was never Batgirl and her first appearance in the new 52 will be Batman: Eternal #3 coming up in April. Cassandra Cain never existed in the new 52 there has been only one Batgirl. Given the rate DC are bringing back characters and how Batman goes through side kicks I give it a year before she comes back.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azrael_online:Actualy thats not the problem the real problem is that DC tried to have its cake and eat it too becuase the New52 was suppose to be a jumping on point for new readers but instead of doing a hard reset and allowing the writers to craft fresh takes on the characters and let them ignore the trash continuity of the pre-flashpoint DCU which would be great for new readers but would piss off the old readers thus they half assed it and only semi rebooted the U thus creating more problme then their where before

Kumquatodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK. So, since the New 52 timeline is full of FAIL(!), let's fix it.

Year -26: Bruce Wayne is born.

Year -18: Thomas and Martha Wayne die.

Year -10: Bruce Wayne leaves to train around the world.

Year 1: Batman first appears; Ra's al Ghul first appears.

Year 2: Joker first appears; Graysons die.

Year 3: Bruce finally takes Grayson in and begins to train him; Two Face appears.

Year 4: Batgirl begins and starts training; Poison Ivy appears.

Year 5: Dick Grayson quits training and forms the Teen Titans; Barbra is shot.

Year 6: Jason Todd begins training; is killed before he can officially become Robin

Year 7: Justice League is formed; No Man's Land; Cassandra Cain joins.

Year 8: Tim Drake begins training; Stephanie joins.

Year 9: Tim Drake continues training; Under the Red Hood.

Year 10: Batman's back is broken by Bane.

Year 11: Batman comes back; Court of Owls.

Years 12: Damian becomes Robin.

You may be saying: "But what about the whole 'Bruce is missing' and when did 'Batman Inc. start' and what about 'Battle of the Cowl'"? Well, to be honest, I haven't read them, and it always seemed like a stupid idea from what I heard.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kumquatodor: you still have the problem of that Batman takes in a kid only a year after becoming Batman it makes no sense and yet again it only thats Dick two years to learn everything he needs to know when it takes batman his whole life

But you are right Battle for the Cowl and INC are stupid

UltimateSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordofthenorth: But didn't the recent Batman & Robin Annual state Dick was 16 when he became Robin. Either way, it's too fast to becoming Batman. And the fact that there are no other identifiable repercussions from the story lines is disappointing. I think Martian Manhunter died during Final Crisis. Correct me, if I'm wrong. Dick should be the most experienced robin, but he barely has much time in that role before Jason becomes Robin. I just feel they could've left the Batman series alone, more or less. I mean, sure don't introduce Catgirl, or Catwoman's daughter, and hopefully they won't bring up Stephanie Brown's child either. I just don't see how Barbara could've made any impact in her time as Batgirl, before being paralyzed, and then she regains her ability to walk almost as fast. So we forget Oracle all together, then.

Kumquatodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kumquatodor

@lordofthenorth: I don't see why he couldn't take Dick in early.

As for the 2 years thing:

1. I don't consider Dickbats canon; I haven't read it and the circumstances around it sound stupid.

2. He quit training, so he probably would have got more training had Bruce had his way.

3. He left to work with 4 (or so) superhumans. He would be safe enough.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Three Words

COMIC. BOOK. LOGIC.

DERP

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LordoftheNorth

@genesisx: Dick could be 20 is still freaking young to be Batman

Yes Manhunter dies but is resurrected in Blackest Night.

yup Dick only has two years of experance before he becomes Nightwing thus it seems that Batman is the greatest teacher the world has ever known or Dick, Jason, and Tim are Gary Stus that can everthing with little diffaculty

Ya i dont now why they just didnt let Barbara continue to be Oracle it made an easy device to tie all the differant Batbooks togther and would allow them to pick Cassandra or Stephanie to be batgirl if they where only going to allow one to come back

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LordoftheNorth

@kumquatodor: Well think about how they set up his character in Zero Year he is insanly angry and hasnt even figured out what being Batman means to him so for him to pick up some kid at this point would be silly and out of character

UltimateSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kumquatodor: Well think about how they set up his character in Zero Year he is insanly angry and hasnt even figured out what being Batman means to him so for him to pick up some kid at this point would be silly and out of character

Heck, he won't even ally himself with Gordon. Why would he need a sidekick if he doesn't even trust a grown man to help him? It would be out of character.

1. I don't consider Dickbats canon; I haven't read it and the circumstances around it sound stupid.

2. He quit training, so he probably would have got more training had Bruce had his way.

But I thought that the Teen Titans didn't exist til Tim Drake started it (New 52 format), so really Nightwing has never met Cyborg, Raven, or Beast Boy, but somehow has had a relationship with Starfire (As can be seen stated numerous times in Red Hood and the Outlaws), nor has he met Aqualad, Donna Troy, and it doesn't seem to show any relationship between Speedy (Red Arrow/Arsenal) and Dick Grayson either. So what had Dick been doing all this time on his own? Is it me or is the only thing not affected by the revamp, the Green Lantern series? I mean you can see the Blackest Night did indeed happen, as well as Brightest Day, and I haven't seen any revisions for Green Lantern, but every other series, especially Justice League, Batman, Superman, and Teen Titans is being hit hard.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kumquatodor: Only problem is that in new 52 his parents died when he was ten. Also final crisis, RIP, and the events after should fit in sometime after year twelve because Damian is around during those stories, same with batman inc and battle for the cowl. And Damian being born should be listed as a major event somewhere on there too. Otherwise its pretty good.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordofthenorth Well Gary Stu is arguably what they were going for with New 52 Red Robin at least. They went so far as to make him an olympic level athlete and a kid genius rolled into one, who was solving crimes before he was ever Robin, along with getting into prestigious schools.

@genesisx Assuming the flashback from early RHATO is still canon, Dick has worked with other teenage superheroes before, just not as an official team, probably a few adventures here and there. Roy and Kori were both present for it. (And Roy himself mentioned numerous other people to Kori such as Beast Boy, so there's the possibility Dick worked with others as well.)

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: Not to mention they turned Dick into a super dective able to figure out Batman idenity just from some simple body motions something that just dosnt make any sense for Dick.

Then they gave Jason some stupid magic destiny BS that has no place in the main Batfamily the Pits i can take but when Jason starts dualweilding magic blades thats just silly

Kumquatodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@genesisx:

@genesisx said:

@lordofthenorth said:

Heck, he won't even ally himself with Gordon. Why would he need a sidekick if he doesn't even trust a grown man to help him? It would be out of character.

@kumquatodor said:

But I thought that the Teen Titans didn't exist til Tim Drake started it (New 52 format), so really Nightwing has never met Cyborg, Raven, or Beast Boy, but somehow has had a relationship with Starfire (As can be seen stated numerous times in Red Hood and the Outlaws), nor has he met Aqualad, Donna Troy, and it doesn't seem to show any relationship between Speedy (Red Arrow/Arsenal) and Dick Grayson either. So what had Dick been doing all this time on his own? Is it me or is the only thing not affected by the revamp, the Green Lantern series? I mean you can see the Blackest Night did indeed happen, as well as Brightest Day, and I haven't seen any revisions for Green Lantern, but every other series, especially Justice League, Batman, Superman, and Teen Titans is being hit hard.

But... Isn't Dick mentioned as creating the Titans in RHATO?

And... What happened between Dick and Kori?

Does Aqualad even exist?

Did Young Justice ever form?

Where was Stephanie during this?

Is Huntress and PG still extra-dimensional or is that retconned?

Who wrote these stories?!?!?!

Justice League was restarted, so I think GL has taken major damage from the reboot.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LordoftheNorth

@kumquatodor: If you bought the original issue of the first teen titans it mentions groups before hand but if you bought the trade that part is taken out

Editoral stupidity is what happened to Dick and Kori

no i dont think Aqualad exist yet

No Young Justice yet but their are rumors of one after Forever evil

Stephanie wont be intraduced until Batman eternal number 3(i think)

Both Huntress and Powergirl are from Earth 2

a lot of the problems come from Lobdel the guy is a hack who is stuck in the 90's

Na GL just as it was before hell they didnt just keep all the books they had before but they added more

Kumquatodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kumquatodor

@lordofthenorth:

But... I read #1 of Justice League... It had them meeting for the first time... Justice League War was based on it...

Ah... Why can't they retcon that?

I've only heard bad things about Lobdel.

But if Lantern wasn't in the Justice League...

I'm confused...

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I wonder if while Dick Grayson is Batman he joins the Justice League and takes his place.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@genesisx: The robin's were described as "interns" in order for the new timeline to work. I just follow the old one

UltimateSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@genesisx: The robin's were described as "interns" in order for the new timeline to work. I just follow the old one

Yeah, I will never be used to this new, convoluted timeline. When I read, I keep thinking in terms of the old timeline, hoping they will one day retcon these discrepancies and go back to a much normal timeline. Wouldn't it be better if Bruce is 40-ish? You expect him to be middle-aged enough to be able to train four (five if you count Stephanie) robins to superior standards. This can't be done with his current age and status.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yeah, it's awful. Can't stand how badly the new 52 ruined the dynamic of the bat family. Dick and Bruce not having that father-son relationship drives me nuts

UltimateSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it's awful. Can't stand how badly the new 52 ruined the dynamic of the bat family. Dick and Bruce not having that father-son relationship drives me nuts

Yeah. Dick is my favorite robin. With barely any time between them as a family or working together, there really is no way they could progress to that relationship we've seen in the past, where Bruce is a father figure to him. Now, it's just like "oh Bruce? He's just that guy I helped for two years, nothing special. Didn't grow up with him or anything." I want that special bond between Dick and Bruce. I think the Injustice series did that pretty well (If you haven't read it, it's amazing, at least in my opinion.) With this collapsed timeline, you can't really care for Dick and Bruce's relationship throughout Forever Evil, as it's largely nonexistent. Based on this, Dick only interacted with Bruce for two years, i.e. from 16 to 18 years old. So he was pretty much grown up, and he really doesn't owe anything to Bruce really, beside taking him in.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.