Batman: Master Of Lip-Reading?

#1 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6236 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi Everyone.

It seems that Batman is such a good lip-reader, that he can do it whilst only seeing the person through thermal goggles:

Seems pretty impressive. It just got me wondering though, does Batman often use lip-reading for any reason? I haven't seen him do it anywhere else, but a lot of you will have read a lot more Batman than I have, so I thought I'd ask. I can't seem to find anything online.

Anyone know of any lip-reading by Batman then?

Scarlotte.

#2 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, honestly I can't remember reading even a single instance of Batman lip-reading.

But then again, it's not that much of a stretch for Batman to have that skill. I mean this is the guy who has degrees in like a thousand disciplines, knows a million martial arts, and only needs micro-naps to stay awake (that last one is a true story).

#3 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6236 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veshark said:

Hmm, honestly I can't remember reading even a single instance of Batman lip-reading.

But then again, it's not that much of a stretch for Batman to have that skill. I mean this is the guy who has degrees in like a thousand disciplines, knows a million martial arts, and only needs micro-naps to stay awake (that last one is a true story).

Maybe it's just not a skill that needs to be used too often then.

Yeah, it's not really surprising. It's interesting that's he's trained to do such a thing, even though it probably doesn't come up often. I suppose he just likes to be prepared for anything.

#4 Posted by neale7 (124 posts) - - Show Bio

He does it in Mask of Phantasm. He watches Andrea and Arthur from a rooftop through binoculars. When confronting Andrea about the conversation later, he states that he can read lips.

#5 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6236 posts) - - Show Bio

@neale7 said:

He does it in Mask of Phantasm. He watches Andrea and Arthur from a rooftop through binoculars. When confronting Andrea about the conversation later, he states that he can read lips.

Oh cool. I'lll have to look out for that when I see it. :)

#6 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veshark said:

micro naps? true story? explain :O?

#7 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

From Batman #682. Apparently Batman doesn't need rest...just 'regular problem-solving micro-sleeps'.

#8 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

haha nice :D

#9 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6236 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veshark said:

From Batman #682. Apparently Batman doesn't need rest...just 'regular problem-solving micro-sleeps'.

Is that issue collected in a TPB? I'm sure I've seen this before.

#10 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman can read lip, yes. I think reading them through thermal goggles is a bit of a stretch though.

#11 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6236 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Batman can read lip, yes. I think reading them through thermal goggles is a bit of a stretch though.

I just googled 'lip reading through thermal goggles', to see if I can find out if it's possible.

All I found was this thread. >.<

#12 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I just googled 'lip reading through thermal goggles', to see if I can find out if it's possible.

lol, right.

Rule 750 of the Universe.

If you can think of it, Batman has done it >:D

#13 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6236 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

lol, right.

Rule 750 of the Universe.

If you can think of it, Batman has done it >:D

I'm really tempted to just start googling things and adding the word Batman now...

I thought of gardening.

You're rule might be right.

#14 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Bats has a thing for plants, remember;

#15 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup, the Batman RIP TPB. It's (I believe) the last issue of the RIP saga by Morrison.

You should definitely read it, and #683 if you ever get the chance. The two issues make an awesome love-letter to Batman's entire history, it's like a eulogy of sorts.

#16 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6236 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veshark said:

Yup, the Batman RIP TPB. It's (I believe) the last issue of the RIP saga by Morrison.

You should definitely read it, and #683 if you ever get the chance. The two issues make an awesome love-letter to Batman's entire history, it's like a eulogy of sorts.

That explains why it's familiar, as I do have the R.I.P. TPB. :)

#17 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha, well alright then

#18 Posted by UncleEmu (179 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is lip reading (kind of) in Knife Trick...I think it's the first Batman of the New 52.

#19 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6236 posts) - - Show Bio

@UncleEmu said:

Batman is lip reading (kind of) in Knife Trick...I think it's the first Batman of the New 52.

That's some kind of lip-reading technology though.

#20 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Pre-52 Batman wouldn't need no stinking technology to lip-read while simultaneously holding a conversation!

Kidding. But in all honesty, Batman using more 'modern' technology in Snyder's run is a welcome addition.

#21 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought he was. Makes sense that he would take the time to learn a skill like lip reading.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.